How to be healthy in a toxic environment? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are temporarily trapped in a toxic environment, what are some good coping skills?

No ideas? 54 views but no replies.
I asked two friends and DH and none of them had any ideas either, so maybe too difficult.
#2 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM

What kind of toxic environment? Do you mean a bad work environment, an unhealthy home, a bad relationship? Physically toxic or emotionally toxic? We need more info.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#3 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Staying healthy in a toxic environment can be really tough. I would say journaling, self help books, good music, exercise, time outside, bubble baths etc would help but what kind of toxic environment is it?!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#4 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post
What kind of toxic environment? Do you mean a bad work environment, an unhealthy home, a bad relationship? Physically toxic or emotionally toxic? We need more info.

The basics, though: exercise, get enough sleep, eat as well as you can, realize that you're not responsible for the emotions of others.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM

I would say creating a step by step plan to get out of the toxic environment, and then starting to take those steps ASAP.
#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
I would say creating a step by step plan to get out of the toxic environment, and then starting to take those steps ASAP.
Absolutely. Feeling hopeless does real physical damage to a person's body, not just their mind. Make a plan and get out.

Edited to add, this is about your job, right Allison? You did say in your OP that this is temporary, which is great. What's your time span? How long is temporary?

My husband is in a rotten job. Hour long commute, dreadful politics, and he's been furloughed a day a month for more than a year now. Mostly he copes, there are days he hates it, and I hate that it's this way.

However, he has an oasis (besides his loving wife and kids ). He was a music major in college (didn't finish). He's in a high-end choir with people he really respects, singing music he loves. Every Monday night he immerses himself for 3 hours in challenging music, stretches his brain, hangs with the young kids fresh out of college (he's 42). Twice a year he gets to put on a tux, sing and show people he's more than just that lousy job. He says it's a life saver.

Do you have something you're interested in that isn't job related? Can you make a big commitment to it? Find a way to immerse yourself in it?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#7 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Make an exit plan. REalize it's just temporary. Try to minimize any residual effects. Every day is a success, dont' look at the big picture (3 more months here) just say at the end of each day "One day down."

I think I remember your situation and didn't have any good advice. In your situation, I'd try to keep that certain toxic person from affecting my future. You said you got wrote up. I'd talk with a supervisor about it and see what the ramifications are. You're almost done...just keep moving forward. The less you say, the better. Trying to explain yourself may just end up hanging yourself. Focus on your job, the kids, the future.

Ok, see why I didn't leave a comment...no real advice
I hope you feel better.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#8 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM

BTW I just wanted to say I know how frustrating and hurtful it is to write a post and get tons of hits and zero responses. That has happened to me before and I always feel like a boring weirdo or something. I am sure a lot of people just didn't know what to say and felt like it was better to say nothing than say something that they felt wasn't helpful or relevant.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#9 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM

I have no idea what your situation is, but I find myself also in a toxic environment and am trying to take steps to make it better. Thanks for post the question, if I come up with any great ideas I'll let you know.

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page