Help!! I Think I'm Boring! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, maybe not completely, but yes, it's true.

I have always been a little more tightly wound, and really having kids has helped me relax a little in that area. Maybe not enough?

I feel like I have nothing interesting to talk about. Kids, diapers, work. I used to be great at starting conversation and keeping dialogue moving, but now it's like I get a block. And nothing in my life or my day seems very interesting. I mean, really. I at least used to be witty.

It's really not just conversation. You know my mom always told me to "find an interesting guy you have to become an interesting person". Maybe I'm feeling that way with friends too. I mean you can only talk about mom stuff so much, right?

Weird question. How do I become interesting with limited time? Or maybe I'm doomed for boringness forever (dum dum dum!)! HELP!
#2 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm in the same boat! So I probably can't offer much help but it's always nice to know others are having the same feelings. I think I need to be journaling, I stopped too long ago and I think it really helps me get my thoughts straight, clarify my positions on things, build on knowledge and experience that would otherwise be lost down the pipeline of the past, kwim? For me personally, securing an income is a priority right now and I expect that to lead me a little bit away from being so centered on my child 24/7, and also enable me financially to participate in more hobbies. Volunteering is good, too!
#3 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM

I think people used to think I was boring.... and now they think I am crazy. BUT, I always find passionate people interesting. You know.. the types who are not afraid to have interests and don't care what other people think of them. To me, people like that are always interesting, because they are genuinely themselves.

Could it be that you are looking for "you" in the middle of it all... Babies and diapers don't have to be boring, as long as you do things your way and care about it.

Just rambling. I just think that I am more interesting now than ever before. BUT only to those who share some of the same interests.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#4 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM

I'm pretty boring too (and shy--bad combo!); can't wait to hear what others have to say.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#5 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I used to journal a lot too - I do miss it, but lately it seems like when there is down time, I would just rather veg than be constructive like journaling, you know? I do feel like I had more depth when I did it regularly, though. It shouldn't surprise me that TV is dumbing me down a bit, right?

I've never been the type to be super passionate about anything. I am middle of the road on most things. I like some things. Dislike others. Nothing that makes me stand out.

Maybe I am trying to find myself. Trying to find what is good about me. Or special. Not sure. I just feel like over the past few years something's gotten lost along the way, or something just never matured.
#6 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM

I think keeping up on current events, making sure you watch the news daily, or read the paper (even on line), helps. Also having a hobby or an interest that you enjoy and are passionate about. Mental stimulation as often as possible - crosswords, Sudoko, good books, anything. Talking to adults.

It's complicated.
#7 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Most people love to talk about themselves. When I'm stuck for a conversation topic, I typically resort to "where are you going on vacation this year," "where did you grow up," "how did you meet your dp," etc; oftentimes you'll find common ground and off you go on a pleasant conversation

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#8 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 PM

I have the same issues. I have spent the last 10 years having our children and I have really put myself on the back burner. I think I have lost myself somewhere along the way. I think it is possible to give so much of yourself that you can fade to the background. That has happened to me. I wish I had some advice. I'm trying to find some answers myself.

Jen ~ Navy wife and Mommy to twins Robbie & Evan(9), Rose(8), Cooper(6), Katie(4), Hadley(2), Nathan(23 months)
#9 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM

Do you think it's boring or more in a slump? I'm having these feelings more and more lately myself. However, I'm not sure if it's because I'm boring. LOL. My life however is boring. We live in a small town and DH works on a 5 week rotation overseas. When he is gone I'm here alone with DD. She is now in school so days are spent alone. I've tried meeting other moms at her school and ballet classes but I have to admit most of them are snobby and too busy trying to "out do" the others. We live a different lifestyle than the people in our area. We don't go to church regularly and I've felt shunned because of this. One of the first questions ppl ask around here is what church do you go to. I stay busy with the farm & garden but the animals don't talk back. I have many hobbies as well like knitting, sewing, & reading. However, no one around here knits. I even tried to start a knitting group but no one showed up. I've lived here all my life off and on but the people I had a connection with in the past are not here anymore. My family well that's a different story...my best friend is my sister in law but lately we don't see eye to eye therefore I keep my mouth closed so that I don't loose her too. I really wish things were different and that DH could be home like a "normal" husband but that is not going to happen until retirement!
So I'm wondering lately if it is because my life is so boring or if this feeling is because of the long cold winter that is slowly leaving us? Is it a slump or depression? I think my main problem is I feel isolated and alone most of the time. Sorry for the novel.

Nicole
traditional food eating, AP momma, homesteading, crafty, infertility survivor mom ttc #2,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page