Nm - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
 
coleslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: finding my way
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Good point. I am definitely a junk food junkie. Big time. I'm working on my eating habits this month as well. Counting calories and trying to stick with the good stuff (less processed, more brown and less white...less junk).

I'm REALLY bad about taking my vitamins, but I do have multis here as well as a b complex, guess I'll set those out by my zoloft so I remember to take them!
Just a small suggestion, but you could try getting one of those pill counters that has a section for each day of the week. Put each type of pill in there, so you won't forget. I also like a previous poster's idea of finding an exercise/acitivity that you and the family can do together. There is also letterboxing or geocaching.
coleslaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM
 
RiverTam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Posts: 929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone is looking for "getting sober" resources that aren't AA, here's a list of what I found helpful.


Rational Recovery is a great resource. I saw someone else recommend it, and I second that recommendation. "The Little Book" is very helpful.

Women for Sobriety is another great support group.
http://www.womenforsobriety.org/

WFS uses "Nice Girls Don't Drink" as a primary text. It's a really great book. http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Girls-Don.../dp/089789247X

Secular Organizations for Sobriety could be helpful.
http://www.cfiwest.org/sos/index.htm

If you want to try AA from a less God centered perspective, I found "Zen of Recovery" really, really helpful. http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Recovery-M.../dp/0874777062
RiverTam is offline  
#63 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
 
Tradd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are most definitely an alcoholic. My dad didn't drink to intoxication every other day, but close enough. Please get help for yourself for your kids, if not for yourself. You definitely don't want your kids to remember their childhood with an extremely bitter taste in their mouth and you wonder much later why they don't want anything to do with you.

There was much verbal abuse in my home growing up, and a small amount of physical abuse. When I was 13-14, my dad tried to take a belt to me for something stupid. I hit back - regardless of the fact that he had 12" and 100+ pounds on me. He NEVER tried that again

My dad didn't bother to get dry until I'd left for college. 20+ years later, he's dry through AA, but still what's termed a "dry drunk" - not drinking, but has the same behavior patterns as when drinking. I moved 300+ miles/two states away 14 years ago for my sanity and it was one of the best things I've ever done. My brother and his family also live many hours away. I've not seen my parents since 2002 and rarely talk to them. Blessed peace.

Please don't do this to your kids and your relationship with them later in life - so get help NOW.

lady.gif
Tradd is offline  
#64 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
You are most definitely an alcoholic. My dad didn't drink to intoxication every other day, but close enough. Please get help for yourself for your kids, if not for yourself. You definitely don't want your kids to remember their childhood with an extremely bitter taste in their mouth and you wonder much later why they don't want anything to do with you.

There was much verbal abuse in my home growing up, and a small amount of physical abuse. When I was 13-14, my dad tried to take a belt to me for something stupid. I hit back - regardless of the fact that he had 12" and 100+ pounds on me. He NEVER tried that again

My dad didn't bother to get dry until I'd left for college. 20+ years later, he's dry through AA, but still what's termed a "dry drunk" - not drinking, but has the same behavior patterns as when drinking. I moved 300+ miles/two states away 14 years ago for my sanity and it was one of the best things I've ever done. My brother and his family also live many hours away. I've not seen my parents since 2002 and rarely talk to them. Blessed peace.

Please don't do this to your kids and your relationship with them later in life - so get help NOW.
I'm sorry about your experiences, but you gotta realize something - I am not your dad.

Not everyone that drinks is the same. Not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic...not everyone with an alcohol problem is an alcoholic.

I also take offense to being called an alcoholic after I clearly listed the reasons why I am not. You cannot tell me I'm an alcoholic. You don't know me at. all.

I don't mean to be defensive, I realize you had some traumatic past experiences, but that's not my life, nor is it my families life what-so-ever (although, I did deal with some similar things from MY dad and mom when I was much younger as well...so I can relate in that sense).

Bottom line - I'm not a mean, violent drunk. I'm not a drunk. Do I get drunk sometimes? Yep. Am I looking for ways to cut that drinking down? Yep. Am I cutting that drinking down. Yep.

If, for some reason I can't...I'm going to seek help from outside sources.

But please...don't go around throwing accusations that aren't productive in the least. It's just plain rude, and honestly makes me want to disregard the rest of your post.
beansmama is offline  
#65 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Just a small suggestion, but you could try getting one of those pill counters that has a section for each day of the week. Put each type of pill in there, so you won't forget. I also like a previous poster's idea of finding an exercise/acitivity that you and the family can do together. There is also letterboxing or geocaching.
I know...I know. I *totally* need to do this. I'm horrible about remembering (although, I've gotten much better lately). Dh is always telling me to get one - I'm sure even the dollar store has 'em. Guess I'm...lazy?

Okay, next payday - will do.
beansmama is offline  
#66 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverTam View Post
If anyone is looking for "getting sober" resources that aren't AA, here's a list of what I found helpful.


Rational Recovery is a great resource. I saw someone else recommend it, and I second that recommendation. "The Little Book" is very helpful.

Women for Sobriety is another great support group.
http://www.womenforsobriety.org/

WFS uses "Nice Girls Don't Drink" as a primary text. It's a really great book. http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Girls-Don.../dp/089789247X

Secular Organizations for Sobriety could be helpful.
http://www.cfiwest.org/sos/index.htm

If you want to try AA from a less God centered perspective, I found "Zen of Recovery" really, really helpful. http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Recovery-M.../dp/0874777062
Thank you!
beansmama is offline  
#67 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 PM
 
Grace and Granola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Thank you for this. Thankfully it's not to that point yet, with my daughter (I'll typically have one drink, if any, and then she goes to bed...so she's not really seeing much - but yes, she does see me more "relaxed") but I can definitely see it heading there.
I'm so glad you took my post in the way I intended. As a child of an alcoholic it's very difficult for me not take these things very personally and deeply as they relate to alcoholism and children. And I know you're not to that point yet, and I'm glad your daughter still just sees the fun part of you. And I'm really glad you still enjoy hearing your daughter's tales. I'm just saying that it was like that for me too...for a while. It's that whole slippery slope thing. You have to learn to cope with life's difficulties in a healthy way. Because heaven forbid you should encounter a tragedy that drives you closer to the bottle instead of another healthy outlet. Your kids might just lose you forever. I feel like my mom's drinking destroyed my childhood. I have no great memories.at.all. It's not too late for you. I'm glad you are taking active steps to change. It says alot about you that your are so insightful and mindful of this.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
Grace and Granola is offline  
#68 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
 
number572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: i see rivers, mountains & you
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I killed my mental anguish/stress with alcohol for almost 20 yrs. I'd also use drinking to get out of my own head, altho I wasn't drinking as much as you write, it was alot & I had similar thoughts & struggles about it that you write. Then I found out some news 10 weeks ago that changed everything. From that one phone call on, I've not had the craving or desire, haven't wanted or had one single drop of alcohol. It feels great to have a free mind & not be wasting time & energy & money on alcohol. Not to mention how good I feel physically.

My point to sharing this with you, is to suggest a therapist. I had NO IDEA how connected my past issues and my alcoholic behavior were (& my drinking habits definitely did NOT feel like I was being alcoholic either, I just felt like it was a substance to use to take away the stress - that I could control. BUT, I also had a hard time stopping at one or two drinks. Now I think that I did have some alcoholic behavior, looking back on it). It is embarrassing, like any addiction. Its a crappy, cloudy way to live too. But its awesome that you are looking for a way away from alcoholic behavior now! I hope you can get to the point of not wanting to drink.

I was told some news that made the switch in my mind, but I imagine that going & talking with someone about your daily stress (the root of the problem) could possibly get to the core of things for you.

btw, I agree with you about AA not appealing, but for the reasons that I've seen people continue having to fight the craving while forcing themselves to not drink (which is very commendable!) when going to AA - but I've also now had the experience of getting rid of the REASON for the cravings in the first place & it brings a great sense of relief. If that makes sense! I guess AA could do that for some people too, I've never met someone who had that experience.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
number572 is offline  
#69 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

*

beansmama is offline  
#70 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
 
corysmilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: with my right foot out
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
everyone of the alcoholics started out just where you are.
If you don't attend meetings or get theraphy, how do you KNOW you're not an alcoholic? the stories people have about there families, should be very real to you. this where you could end up and these moms, want you to not end up there.

being an alcholic is not shamful,

modereate drinker someone who has a few drinks once in a while.

heavey drinker, people might say this person is an alcoholic. but when something happens, like they screw up their job ect. they can and do stop.

alcoholic, can not stop drinking by themselves. have a physical allergy to alcohol. it is not their fault.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
corysmilk is offline  
#71 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM
 
texmati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
do you or your husband have access to an EAP? It might be a way to see someone without having to put much in terms of commitment (financial, or even having to tell your doctor).

Good luck. Although it's not the same, I'm right now eating a milkshake from chickfilet. Your post has really opened my eyes regarding my relationship to food. I wish you the best.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

texmati is offline  
#72 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corysmilk View Post
everyone of the alcoholics started out just where you are.
If you don't attend meetings or get theraphy, how do you KNOW you're not an alcoholic? the stories people have about there families, should be very real to you. this where you could end up and these moms, want you to not end up there.

being an alcholic is not shamful,

modereate drinker someone who has a few drinks once in a while.

heavey drinker, people might say this person is an alcoholic. but when something happens, like they screw up their job ect. they can and do stop.

alcoholic, can not stop drinking by themselves. have a physical allergy to alcohol. it is not their fault.

"alcoholic, can not stop drinking by themselves. have a physical allergy to alcohol. it is not their fault."


This is not me.

Yeah...every alcoholic starts somewhere. If anyone has EVER had a drink in their entire life, well, you could say the same about them.

Have you even read all of my posts? I have been to many an AA meeting, as well as counseling in the past, as well as doing my own research with a VERY open and honest perspective.

I guess I should just stop now. I know what and who I am, I'm not lying to myself and I don't need to prove it to anyone else. Thanks, though.

I'm just going to say this...


I'm officially done defending myself. I came here when I didn't have to, have been nothing but honest and have actually done my research (and am doing more as people throw them up). I'm well aware of what I am and what I'm not.

So, if you are just going to make an accusation or state that you know something about me that you don't...well...you can still post it, but I'm not going to respond.

To all those (the majority, thank you!) that are being helpful and objective...thank you. I really appreciate it.
beansmama is offline  
#73 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
do you or your husband have access to an EAP? It might be a way to see someone without having to put much in terms of commitment (financial, or even having to tell your doctor).

Good luck. Although it's not the same, I'm right now eating a milkshake from chickfilet. Your post has really opened my eyes regarding my relationship to food. I wish you the best.
What is EAP?

And...um...I can relate about the milkshake thing, too. I really need to get my eating in check as well. The posts about sugar sensitive people have REALLY opened up my eyes to a lot!

Next time I go shopping I'm planning on doing things MUCH differently
beansmama is offline  
#74 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
 
JElaineB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
What is EAP?

And...um...I can relate about the milkshake thing, too. I really need to get my eating in check as well. The posts about sugar sensitive people have REALLY opened up my eyes to a lot!

Next time I go shopping I'm planning on doing things MUCH differently
EAP is Employee Assistance Program, usually some type of free or reduced cost program offered by an employer to employees and their families for various types of counseling (mental health, marriage, financial, etc) and the like.

Sounds like you found the website for the Potatoes Not Prozac author, but for anyone else reading who might be interested there is a lot of good info at http://www.radiantrecovery.com. Glad to hear it might be helpful to you!
JElaineB is offline  
#75 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
EAP is Employee Assistance Program, usually some type of free or reduced cost program offered by an employer to employees and their families for various types of counseling (mental health, marriage, financial, etc) and the like.

Sounds like you found the website for the Potatoes Not Prozac author, but for anyone else reading who might be interested there is a lot of good info at http://www.radiantrecovery.com. Glad to hear it might be helpful to you!
Yes...I think we do have something like that - like the first 10 sessions are free or something?

That is probably a good idea. I've definitely got some issues to work out, and a little counseling never hurt anyone...right?

And yes - that site is *awesome*...I'm just not wanting to nix so much fruit, lol. Everything else is peachy, though!
beansmama is offline  
#76 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Mosaic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La vida loca
Posts: 3,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think people have good intentions; but none of us here is qualified to diagnose alcoholism, nor is it terribly useful to do so. You have already decided that alcohol is not a healthy influence in your life and that you want to change it. Good for you for being self-aware and eager to improve youself!

This article has been helpful for me and others in understanding that alcohol problems don't always look the same, and that the goal isn't necessarily to remove alcohol from your life so much as to change the focus onto new and healthier ways of living and dealing with stress. Maybe this can give you some food for thought and help you find a path forward that works for you.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Mosaic is offline  
#77 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM
 
corysmilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: with my right foot out
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post

"alcoholic, can not stop drinking by themselves. have a physical allergy to alcohol. it is not their fault."


This is not me.

Yeah...every alcoholic starts somewhere. If anyone has EVER had a drink in their entire life, well, you could say the same about them.

Have you even read all of my posts? I have been to many an AA meeting, as well as counseling in the past, as well as doing my own research with a VERY open and honest perspective.

I guess I should just stop now. I know what and who I am, I'm not lying to myself and I don't need to prove it to anyone else. Thanks, though.

I'm just going to say this...


I'm officially done defending myself. I came here when I didn't have to, have been nothing but honest and have actually done my research (and am doing more as people throw them up). I'm well aware of what I am and what I'm not.

So, if you are just going to make an accusation or state that you know something about me that you don't...well...you can still post it, but I'm not going to respond.

To all those (the majority, thank you!) that are being helpful and objective...thank you. I really appreciate it.
wow! I was just trying to help.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
corysmilk is offline  
#78 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 PM
 
sparklefairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another book:
http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Addict...5505603&sr=8-1

You can always try to get these through your library and inter library loan if money is an issue.

Good luck!
sparklefairy is offline  
#79 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 05:14 PM
 
number572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: i see rivers, mountains & you
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Yeah...I honestly think that my drinking, although I still have fun...has gone from something to cut loose on the weekends to something to help me relax and/or cope during the week...a non healthy coping mechanism.

I've always had a compulsive way of coping.

I'm an ex-smoker, ex-cutter, ex-eating disordered (okay, still kinda with the binge eating...) gal. So I guess it was only obvious that once I started using booze as a means to unwind and/or ignore the fact that I'm peeved about something, that it would become a habit.

Which it definitely is...a habit.

But, just like I've cut out the smoking, cutting and MOST of the eating probs (no exercise bulimia or anorex-ish behaviors) I'm positive I can take my drinking back to the "just for fun, not as a coping mechanism" place.

I just...gotta be motivated. Which I am. And honestly, a big part of that is cause I'm freaking cheap...lol...but whatever works, right?
Thats great, habits can be changed, you're right. I've heard/experienced that its most effective to replace each bad habit with a good one so that your focus is onto something new & positive, rather than on NOT repeating the negative habit.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
number572 is offline  
#80 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
I think people have good intentions; but none of us here is qualified to diagnose alcoholism, nor is it terribly useful to do so. You have already decided that alcohol is not a healthy influence in your life and that you want to change it. Good for you for being self-aware and eager to improve youself!

This article has been helpful for me and others in understanding that alcohol problems don't always look the same, and that the goal isn't necessarily to remove alcohol from your life so much as to change the focus onto new and healthier ways of living and dealing with stress. Maybe this can give you some food for thought and help you find a path forward that works for you.
I totally need a healthy way to deal with stress. I've never been good with that. I love yoga but it's becoming near impossible to do it and actually wind down due to wiggly kiddo's crawling all over me...kinda makes meditation tough, lol!

I do need to make these things a priority though, so I suppose I oughta try to work around DH's schedule and just fit yoga in whatever time of day I CAN...regardless of whether or not it's *my* preferred time.

I haven't done it (yoga) these past two days, as Ds has been really fussy and clingy (he's getting teeth in, plus I think he's getting sick), but I've been going on 'rain-walks' with my Dd.

Actually...it happened on accident. Yesterday I was going stir crazy and told her we should go on a walk...by the time we were ready the rain started (oregon!!). We grabbed the umbrellas and went anyway. Today she requested we go the long way home...she had fun

So...that's exercise/stress reducing stuff at least
beansmama is offline  
#81 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corysmilk View Post
wow! I was just trying to help.
I'm sorry if I misread your tone, but your post seemed very accusatory and matter-of-fact to me. I realize tone is a very hard thing to grasp online though - so again, sorry if I took it the wrong way.
beansmama is offline  
#82 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
 
texmati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
What is EAP?

And...um...I can relate about the milkshake thing, too. I really need to get my eating in check as well. The posts about sugar sensitive people have REALLY opened up my eyes to a lot!

Next time I go shopping I'm planning on doing things MUCH differently
employee assistance program? I know a few workplaces have them, but it might not be well advertised (it's outside of insurance). Mine offers 3 counseling sessions for free-- and they have someone you could call that will set you up with a counselor, ect.

For me, it was a life saver-- I didn't have to talk to my (family) doctor, or pay anything, or find a therapist that would work with my insurance, ect.

I had skimmed over the sugar stuff, but was just looking into that. A few dr's have told me to get on medication for anxiety/depression, but I'm just not ready.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

texmati is offline  
#83 of 135 Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
 
corysmilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: with my right foot out
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
I'm sorry if I misread your tone, but your post seemed very accusatory and matter-of-fact to me. I realize tone is a very hard thing to grasp online though - so again, sorry if I took it the wrong way.
you know what? your going to be ok. deciding to change is the first step. I hope you find the happiness you deserve.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
corysmilk is offline  
#84 of 135 Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 AM
 
pokeyrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I couldn't read and not and FWIW nothing in your posts sounds to me like you have a serious problem that requires AA or rehab. IMHO sometimes extreme responses can end up causing bigger problems. You know you have a habit you want to break, you know it's not healthy for you and you want to change. You also know you have issues that you need to work out.

So it really seems to me that you know what your problem is and you know you need to do something, it's just getting yourself to do it. Try to refocus on you and find the time and commit the time to do it. People "check-out" out all the time in the name of "winding down" or "destressing" be it the hard stuff or even the soft stuff such as too much eating, tv or internet . In my book pretty much anything a person does repetitively that isn't healthy for them that keeps them from doing more productive things that would be healthy for them is a form of "checking out".

You got some great suggestions. Everyone should have a therapist and could use therapy because life is stressful and it's better to yak it out with someone who isn't emotionally invested in you or you them. Go take yoga again, exercise, find a healthy hobby to get that natural "buzz" for your brain and body.

People often forget to make themselves number 1 priority and as a parent it's even more difficult. Every healthy/happy person I know makes it a point to make time for themselves and not feel guilty about it. It's the unhealthy ones I know take no time for themselves and they make up excuses for why they can't take time for themselves. The old adage that we need to remember is "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"

Good luck!
pokeyrin is offline  
#85 of 135 Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 AM
 
kavamamakava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
I totally need a healthy way to deal with stress. I've never been good with that. I love yoga but it's becoming near impossible to do it and actually wind down due to wiggly kiddo's crawling all over me...kinda makes meditation tough, lol!

I do need to make these things a priority though, so I suppose I oughta try to work around DH's schedule and just fit yoga in whatever time of day I CAN...regardless of whether or not it's *my* preferred time.

I haven't done it (yoga) these past two days, as Ds has been really fussy and clingy (he's getting teeth in, plus I think he's getting sick), but I've been going on 'rain-walks' with my Dd.

Actually...it happened on accident. Yesterday I was going stir crazy and told her we should go on a walk...by the time we were ready the rain started (oregon!!). We grabbed the umbrellas and went anyway. Today she requested we go the long way home...she had fun

So...that's exercise/stress reducing stuff at least
This yoga site is super easy. Only 12 steps (hehe) and it only takes a few minutes to one set for each side of the body. I like to do 5 sets for each side and it takes less than 10 minutes. You can do it when the kids are napping or whenever you have a few minutes http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapract...salutation.asp
kavamamakava is offline  
#86 of 135 Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
 
RiverTam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Posts: 929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
An earlier poster wonder if AA could get rid of the underlying reasons for drinking, in addition to addressing the drinking itself. It can.

If a person does the 12 Steps with a decent sponsor, AA will do this for them. AA has a huge cognitive-behavioral component.

Step 4 requires a person to go through their life and write down everyone and everything that he/she is afraid of or angry with. Step 5 requires a person to go through that list with another person. Those two steps take a look at persons who have harmed the alcoholic.

Steps 8 and 9 require the alcoholic to make a list of persons that he/she has harmed, and try to find ways to make amends for that harmful behavior.

It really can be useful for coming to terms with the past, if you have a good sponsor or group to work on these steps with. (That's a huge caveat, BTW. There's a ton of bad AA out there.)

If you want to understand the steps better, "12 Steps and 12 Traditions" is an excellent book.

"Zen of Recovery" has good discussions of the Steps, too.
RiverTam is offline  
#87 of 135 Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want to say a lot, because while I don't mean criticism or anything like that, sometimes I am not good with words, and it comes out wrong.
I just want to say that if alcoholism runs in your family especially, then you are right now, at a point where you need to make a decision. And it sounds like you are making a decison and GOOD FOR YOU!!! that's really great.

... I have several friends who are alcoholics and they make excuses like mad, ignore the issues or drink them away. You realize it is not ideal. And because of it running in your family I am pretty sure you shouldn't try to walk the edge too closely.
Do something now before it gets out of hand! Is what I am saying.

I have problems with being crabby too. I am way overly tense... I am coming to the realization of things that I need to deal with from my childhood (things I was trying to avoiding via my own brand of addiction). You don't have the same issues as me, but there are things there that are causing you to be crabby, and to need a drink or two or more to cope with it. If you refrain from drinking, you will begin to see the deeper issues, and deal with them, and get over them! Like the wonderful triumphant powerful mama you are!
bluebirdiemama is offline  
#88 of 135 Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
 
number572's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: i see rivers, mountains & you
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverTam View Post
If a person does the 12 Steps with a decent sponsor, AA will do this for them. AA has a huge cognitive-behavioral component.

Step 4 requires a person to go through their life and write down everyone and everything that he/she is afraid of or angry with. Step 5 requires a person to go through that list with another person. Those two steps take a look at persons who have harmed the alcoholic.

Steps 8 and 9 require the alcoholic to make a list of persons that he/she has harmed, and try to find ways to make amends for that harmful behavior.

It really can be useful for coming to terms with the past, if you have a good sponsor or group to work on these steps with. (That's a huge caveat, BTW. There's a ton of bad AA out there.)

If you want to understand the steps better, "12 Steps and 12 Traditions" is an excellent book.

"Zen of Recovery" has good discussions of the Steps, too.
I had toyed with the idea of AA at times, usually after having way too much, or a big fight with my dp, but honestly, I don't feel a connection at all with AA. I posted "the reason" but I guess thats the *main* reason... the others are that it is a group. Its highly emotional & I don't want to hear sad stories even if it comes with inspiring ones. I found that reading positive books or listening to inspirational speaking did wonders for my mood. I also don't like that it has an organized *religion* feel and the people who promote it often are pushy. I could go on with a few more reasons that it maybe is not for some people. Its cool that you posted about it b'c it will work great for some people, I was just posting about the stories I've heard about people's experiences. Would you mind unquoting me & summizing my post into your own words instead? Sorry to bother, but I don't want to be quoted on very personal topics, I know you were just quoting for clarity. Thx!!

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
number572 is offline  
#89 of 135 Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM
 
Baby~Braatens~Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The great plains =)
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to tell you how very brave I think your post was. You have taken the first step and though you stated that you do not see yourself as an alcohilic the fact that you posted here shows that you are aware of your problem. I agree with all of the people here who have suggested you talk to a doctor. I wish you all the luck in the world!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Baby~Braatens~Mama is offline  
#90 of 135 Old 06-03-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the yoga link...I'll check that out. I'm pretty stuck on kundalini, though. Every time I've tried other types of yoga I kinda...sucked, lol! I'm not very, um, flexible or graceful

Yesterday was Dh's birthday and I made a nice dinner that I started thinking would go really well with some wine. I sorta had an internal convo/slight argument with myself and then settled on "No".

It really wasn't hard. At all. Every day that I don't drink it just makes me realize that it's not an addiction so much as a habit that I've gotten into.

And I will just say that Dh and I are STILL fighting off and on - about the same issue as the other day - the same issue we pretty much ALWAYS fight about. Gr. But...I'm still not caving. Booze isn't going to fix anything, I know that...it'll just make me drunk and grumpy. Not fun for anyone!

As far as diet issues (sugar), I didn't start yet. B-day = cupcakes, and I'm currently on a financial diet, but I'm doing more research and working on getting the white stuff out to help balance my moods more....keep me more level.

Again, thanks to everyone for the kind words and support. I truly appreciate it.
beansmama is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off