Forum Jump: 

#61 of 94 Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 4
2) How many loads are dirty? 1 plus diapers
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) 4 loads
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? 1 iin the washer, 1 in the dryer, 2 in a basket waiting to be folded5) How often do you iron clothes? nevaaaah!
6) How often do you mend clothes? not often enough. about once a year, maybe twice
#62 of 94 Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
For my own personal reflection (which is why I posted in THIS thread), I'm curious about the various responses that all of you would give to these questions:

Answering for DH, who does the laundry:

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for?

2) How many loads are dirty?
at this exact moment -1/4 a load. We do laundry once a week (Sunday) so most of it is done. One Friday night we often have about 3 loads of laundry.

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!)

We do not fold. We shove in drawers, lol. All of the laundry (3 loads) is waiting to be sorted and put away. We will probably do it tonight, while watching TV. Dh or sort, and each kid has to bring their pile up to their room and put it away.

4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now?

In the dryer, and a rubbermaid container

5) How often do you iron clothes?
Never

6) How often do you mend clothes?
rarely - 3 times a year, perhaps? Only simple mends - missing buttons, seams come undone - never major mends.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my survey. I'm curious about all of the responses.
Off to read other responses!! I must admit, I am very pleased with how we do laundry - I know it is a big deal in other peoples houses but it is not in ours (don't ask me about dishes though )
#63 of 94 Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 5 (1 in diapers)

2) How many loads are dirty? less than 1

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? 0 regular laundry, 1 diapers

4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? diapers are in dryer

5) How often do you iron clothes? almost never. I try to remove wrinkle-prone items from the dryer asap to prevent wrinkles.

6) How often do you mend clothes? a few times a year - I have a big pile of mending I may never get to
#64 of 94 Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM

4 people, 1 dog(his "bed" and blanket get washed weekly)

1/2 load light colored, 1/2 load dark colored

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!)

dogs bedding is in the dryer, one basket of folded laundry to put away(waiting to iron a few items to include in the basket)

once a week, usually Friday or Saturday I iron what needs to be done

I never mend anything. My mil lives next to us and takes care of that.

Maggie(35) Wife to Frank(44) since 6/6/1998
Mama to Annabelle 11/10/1998-11/17/1998,Francesca 3/15/2000, Natasja 6/17/2004, EDD 08/19/2014

#65 of 94 Old 07-16-2010, 01:52 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? We're a family of three and we all participate in the laundry process. I sort, DH loads and dries, DD and I fold.
2) How many loads are dirty? On average we only do two loads a week. Presently we are about 3/4 there.
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) Zero. Laundry is done on Sunday mornings only.
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? N/A
5) How often do you iron clothes? Only when they need it. We usually hang dry to limit ironing. I tend to iron more in the winter because we wear more things with long sleeves like cotton blouses, etc.
6) How often do you mend clothes? Only when they need it. When button pops off or needs reinforced; seams are weak, etc. Clothes that become completely worn with wear go into the rag bag.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#66 of 94 Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 3 (all of us)
2) How many loads are dirty? About 1 of reg clothes, 1 delicate, 1 sheets/towels
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) Hah. Folding does not exist in this house. For me, zero, strict laundry rules, 2
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? All of DH's non-hang-up clothes are in 2 laundry baskets in the closet.
5) How often do you iron clothes? Nearly never. Clothes that get wrinkly I usually hang-dry anyway.
6) How often do you mend clothes? Never. Child is too little to be hard on clothing.

I only do laundry on the weekends, and sometimes will only do work-week clothing so my currently dirty is as low as it ever is.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#67 of 94 Old 07-17-2010, 02:43 AM

1) 4
2) 3-4
3) 4
4) 1 load in dryer, 1 in washer waiting for the dryer to be emptied, 2 upstairs in my room waiting to be folded...in the meanwhile everyone keeps digging through it and defolding what I've managed to fold. over.and. over.
5) We own very little that needs ironing sooo...maybe twice a year?
6) Do people still do this? I had no idea. I'm terrible at mending and I don't think any of us own clothes nice enough to bother mending.
#68 of 94 Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
So, do you mean you have a laundry category for each day of the week, and do one load a day? Is that why it's 7 loads?
Well...it may have started out that way in theory years ago. But each day I pick the fullest basket. So, jeans may get done every 5 days and red/orange/brown might not fill up for 10 days. We wear very little black so that takes two weeks to make up a full load. There are days that none of the loads are full enough and I will gather the towels or do a load of training pants or sheets. If I have to leave early one day or things get hectic and I don't get to laundry it doesn't mess me up because my system isn't day dependent. I can also do three loads on a Saturday if my week was nuts.
#69 of 94 Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 4
2) How many loads are dirty? 4 or 5 (all)
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) 2
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? dd's clean clothes on couch, 1 load in dryer
5) How often do you iron clothes? as needed. maybe 5x/year at most
(when I was working, it was every other day)
6) How often do you mend clothes? never
#70 of 94 Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 3
2) How many loads are dirty? 2 good dark loads, a half of colours and a half of whites.
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? One is washed, but not yet hung.
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? sittin in the washer.
5) How often do you iron clothes? Uh. Like never. Not sure why I own a board. For sewing I guess. lol.
6) How often do you mend clothes? Whenever the item is salvagable.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#71 of 94 Old 07-17-2010, 11:55 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 4 with 1 in nappies (diapers)
2) How many loads are dirty? 1.5 - half a load of clothes and a load of sheets
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) 5
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? 2 need to be folded (they're in the living room on the couch, and on the floor where DH dumped them when he wanted to sit on the couch), 2 on the clothesline, 1 in the washing machine
5) How often do you iron clothes? Almost never, except for very special occasions
6) How often do you mend clothes? When needed, a couple of times a year. We wear mostly maintenance free clothing.

My aim is to do one load from start to finish each day (washing, drying on the clothesline, folding and putting away) - but DH got the laundry bug this morning and has been ruining my system I usually do a load of nappies every second day, and a load of clothes or bedding or towels on the other days.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#72 of 94 Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Two.

About 2 1/2.

None.

N/A

I don't own an iron, I take them out of the dryer and fold them immediately.

On occasion- we use clothes until they are literally threadbare.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#73 of 94 Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 PM

Six, one in cloth diapers.

About 1 1/2

None.

N/A

At least weekly.

rarely

We have a 2-storey home and our washer and dryer is on the second floor, as are all of the bedrooms for all six of us. This was one of the main reasons we chose to buy a new build. Laundry used to be so much harder.
Now, clothes go right from dryer to closet, no folding or carrying required! I keep on top of laundry. We create at least a load a day.

4 kids under 10
#74 of 94 Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM

I am horrible about laundry! Couldnt even tell you the numbers! This is something I could seriously work on. There is always something in the wash, dryer, or basket. I get inspired and wash everything and hang up and within a couple days its bad. I have a family of three so there I really is no excuse just have not found a good system that works for me.
#75 of 94 Old 07-20-2010, 12:30 PM

1. 2.5-dd gets stuff dirty more often, but her stuff is much smaller.
2. less than 1, just did laundry yesterday (do it twice a week)
3. less than 1, just finishing up putting away the last load from yesterday
4. laying on the bed sorted by categories. I stopped folding when I realized that things got MORE wrinkled by being folded and getting laid on by cats before I could put them away than they did when I just put them into the drawers without folding. It also means I can fit fewer clothes into any given drawer which helps limit how many clothes I have.
5. Maybe once a month there'll be a few things that need an iron. Mostly it's dh's work stuff and he irons it himself.
6.I try to mend as soon as I see the problem. I'd say I'm doing repairs sewing about once a month, anything from another patch on dh's favorite sweatpants to a button that came off when the toddler tried to get undressed alone.

I'd done laundry once a week for ages, now that we have a washer and dryer, I've switched to twice a week and it makes the amount of laundry to put away much more manageable.
#76 of 94 Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 4 and 2 cats
Sorry for the late response... catching up from vacation.

Anyway... your cats wear clothes?
#77 of 94 Old 07-22-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest~mama View Post
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) I'll just say it- like 8-10 to be folded and 1 dirty.

You're not the only one! I have 4 loads of laundry right now that are clean and dry waiting to be folded. I HATE folding and putting away laundry.

Why do you hate it? I used to get annoyed by it because we had too much stuff and it didn't all fit in our closets/dressers. Since I've thinned it out it's been much easier to do that chore.

Have you tried just separating them into 4 piles first without folding them? Organize it by: Your clothes, DC's clothes, DH's clothes, and a 4th for linens/towels/rags/etc.? That helps me tremendously. I put my clothes away first, because I care about my own clothes (and it's usually the smallest pile). Then I fold the linens because they're easy to fold and put away. Then I tackle DD's pile because her pretty dresses are nice to fold and put away (and she's still a little too young to do it herself). Then I usually give DS and DH their own baskets and say "here, you do it.", which they usually do. With DH I sometimes have to add "If you can't be bothered to put away your own clothes after I've washed them, then they'll eventually end up on the floor covered in cat-hair. I refuse to re-wash clothes that never got put away, so if you like having me wash your clothes, put them away today". That usually works with DH
#78 of 94 Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
For my own personal reflection (which is why I posted in THIS thread), I'm curious about the various responses that all of you would give to these questions:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my survey. I'm curious about all of the responses.
1. None, hubby does it b/c he's kind of OCD about laundry. (He rearranges my sorted piles and critiques my every move, so I fired myself and promoted DH.)

2.1/2 a load

3. 4

4.Strewn all over the basement. (My nephew who is staying with us is horrified--we have tainted his innocence apparently.)

5.Once a year.

6. Never.

7.We use a stain stick almost daily b/c of DD--she eats like a turbo charged lawn sprinkler.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#79 of 94 Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 4 including me
2) How many loads are dirty? 1 ish. I just did laundry. I do 3 loads a week, all on the same day
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) None, I hate having baskets of clean laundry out!
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? n/a If I don't quite finish before bed, I would leave the basket of folded clothes in the bedroom to put away in the morning.
5) How often do you iron clothes? About every 2 weeks. I only iron DH's work clothes and most of them are wrinkle-free fabrics that if I hang them right out of the dryer don't need ironing.
6) How often do you mend clothes? Maybe monthly? Stuff rarely needs mending.

HTH! I am type A about the house, so maybe don't try to follow my example.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#80 of 94 Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for?5
2) How many loads are dirty? Ummm...3? I don't know, they're all in the basket
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) I couldn't begin to tell you, I'm not sure what this 'put away' thing would look like
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? On the top bunk the kids think is a closet/storage area, on boxes in my bedroom, on top of dressers. Oh, and I have a least a large load worth of unmatched socks scattered around in 3 main places, including a box that we brought when we moved.
5) How often do you iron clothes? Dh told me when we met that his clothes were allergic to ironing. Haven't ironed since.
6) How often do you mend clothes? When something needs mending & I have the tools at hand....once or twice a year?

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#81 of 94 Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? only myself, dh and dd wash their own
2) How many loads are dirty? -1
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? 1
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? hanging to dry
5) How often do you iron clothes? extremely rarely
6) How often do you mend clothes? as needed
#82 of 94 Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Why do I find this thread so fascinating!??! It looks like I'm the slacker in the group, but in my defense I will say that we've had loads of company recently so I've been running loads of laundry and then hiding them in our bedroom so the company doesn't see.

1. I wash laundry for me, DH and our two DDs 5yo and 2yo.

2. Probably about 3 loads are dirty right now.

3. I would say I have about four loads in the process, maybe even FIVE! (eek) Plus a load of diapers.

4. One load is in the washer, one in the dryer, the rest are in my bedroom hiding until I can get to them.

5. I have had the ironing board out ONCE in the last 2-3 years.

6. I mended DD's favorite skirt this winter, but I didn't actually sew, I used fabric tape so I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Does anyone else here save up laundry to fold in front of a good movie? It is my favorite part of doing laundry but it means sometimes the laundry piles up because I'm waiting for a night when I have time to spend in front of the TV!!
#83 of 94 Old 07-26-2010, 02:33 AM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 2 (me and DP though he also (more often) does the laundry)
2) How many loads are dirty? ummmmm 3 loads of clothes 2 loads of towels, a load of sheets, plus several rugs which are months past due? it's 5.50 a load, and the machine sucks and leaves our stuff stained when it went in without stains, so we do the bare minimum to get by. looking forward to having a free (crappy but functional) washer when we move in a week.
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) none
5) How often do you iron clothes? never atm. I don't have an ironing board and my iron is broken but functionaly. Even if I did, it would still be rare. but I have some skirts that really need it.
6) How often do you mend clothes? for the most part, as needed. which works out to about once every few months. (though it often takes me a long time to get matching thread, because I'll keep forgetting)

I think it's interesting how many different answers there are in particular to #6. I don't do a TON of mending, but if it's worn, I mend it. (except socks. If they were handknit, woolen socks, I'd darn them, but I'm just not willing to darn cheapo athletic socks. who does?) We tend to patch pants a couple of times before they're considered goners.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#84 of 94 Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 AM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 2
2) How many loads are dirty? 2
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!)3
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? dryer and chair in living room
5) How often do you iron clothes? less then once per year
6) How often do you mend clothes? once per year

dust.gif
#85 of 94 Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 AM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 5 (plus some dog laundry sometimes, towels and whatnot)
2) How many loads are dirty? 0
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) 0
5) How often do you iron clothes? Never, i don't iron clothes
6) How often do you mend clothes? Never

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#86 of 94 Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Three
Two half-loads (darks and lights)
Zero
Put away!
Never
Whenever they need mending, maybe a couple times a year?
#87 of 94 Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:

OK... this should be funny.

I'm a single mom of 1.... and I have about 5 hours a week without my toddler, but I am out of the apartment and she is here with her sitter.

1) 2
2) Always at least one.
3) I have a permanent load that is never folded and it lives on top of the dryer. And also frequently a half load that lives in the dryer until the dryer is needed again. Then those clothes usually get moved to the mountain on top.
4) Really... I recently motivated myself into hanging things just cuz it's much faster and wrinkle free. I'm working towards a full closet though so it's a really new thing still.
5) I actually last ironed something when DD and I were visiting my parents. If we had been here at home.... it wouldn't have happened.
6) What?! Question did not compute!?! Wait, does having my Mom take a crochet hook to a cute shirt of mine 2 months ago count? I don't crochet.

Based on what I can scroll through right now.... I'm firmly in the minority slacker camp. In fact last week, there was supposed to be a complex wide inspection in my apartment complex and I wasn't going to fold or put away the real mountain on top of my dryer, so I threw it all back into the dryer. I figured they wouldn't check there and while I would never run the dryer with that many clothes in it.... it does make a convenient emergency storage.

Laundry. Its one of those things that is just not my strong suit.
#88 of 94 Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm updating my responses today... (I'm hoping that the shame of revealing the current state in my house will help me to get off my a$$ and start doing something about it!)

1) 4
2) about 3-4... maybe 5
3) 5... no wait, 6. (Or is it 7?)
4) 4 or 5 loads (can't tell) are sitting in the hallway getting cold and wrinkly, waiting to be brought upstairs. 1 is in the dryer drying, and 1 I just put in the wash.
5) used to be never, but now, about 1-2 times/week (when I'm on top of things). For the past couple of weeks, it's been zero.
6) used to be never, but now I do it whenever I notice something that needs mending. I pinned a sewing kit tied with a fancy ribbon to my ironing board that lives in my bedroom (until I can find a better place for it to live). I usually fold clothes on my bed.
#89 of 94 Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I just had an AH-HA moment! Since folding clothes seems to be the bottleneck for me, I've realized that I need to do something different in my folding clothes process. I wonder, if I set up a "Folding Clothes" playlist in iTunes, and folded clothes to music, would that make it more enjoyable for me? I think it might!
#90 of 94 Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
I just had an AH-HA moment! Since folding clothes seems to be the bottleneck for me, I've realized that I need to do something different in my folding clothes process. I wonder, if I set up a "Folding Clothes" playlist in iTunes, and folded clothes to music, would that make it more enjoyable for me? I think it might!
Yes, it will help a lot, I'd bet. I save folding for after the kids go to bed and I watch TV while I do it, usually Househunters, and occasionally Mystery on PBS. It's the only time I watch TV during the week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page