What is the state of your laundry? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my own personal reflection (which is why I posted in THIS thread), I'm curious about the various responses that all of you would give to these questions:

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for?
2) How many loads are dirty?
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!)
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now?
5) How often do you iron clothes?
6) How often do you mend clothes?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my survey. I'm curious about all of the responses.
#2 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Here are my responses:

1) 4
2) 2
3) 3
4) 1 in wash, 2 upstairs on bed, 1 of which half-folded
5) rarely, but that's changing of late
6) almost never (again, soon to be changing)
#3 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM

How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? Three total, one in cloth diapers
How many loads are dirty? About one, maybe less of clothes and slightly less than one of diapers. I haven't checked the baskets yet.
How many loads are part-way through the process? One, cloth diapers. They need to just be dried however.
If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? In the washer haha
How often do you iron clothes? Never. I can't remember the last time I even USED an iron.. if ever?
How often do you mend clothes? Very very rarely. Usually just a popped button. I'm horrible at mending holes and thank goodness we almost never get any! Stains are a bigger issue in this house.

I should add, I'm normally not so on top of laundry. I usually have like two loads to wash and two to put away with both machines full. I hate laundry!
#4 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 PM

I have to preface this by saying that I LOVE doing laundry. Its the one chore that makes me feel like I'm accomplishing someting.

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 3 (1 in diapers)
2) How many loads are dirty? None
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? One: Diapers are in the dryer
5) How often do you iron clothes? Hah! Never. My husband irons about every other day though.
6) How often do you mend clothes? Maybe once a year if its something I really love. I suck at mending.

I am adding # 7) How often do you have to stain soak items in Oxiclean? At least once a week. Its so cool...like alchemy.

I'm such a laundry geek that I am getting an umbrella clothesline for my birthday! I can't wait!
#5 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Three: myself, ds and the household's towels/sheets (three 'people'!)

Three: ds needs his whole basket done, light and dark = two. Plus one more load of towels/sheets = three.

3) How many loads are part-way through the process?
One load of towels/sheets.

In the washer, ready to go in the dryer.

Twice a year??

Almost never.

============

Edited to add: oops! I'm so out of the habit of folding and putting laundry away, I didn't count that as a stage of the process. : In which case we've got two baskets full of clean towels that need to be folded and put away.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#6 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Today...

1) 2.5 (DS runs around half naked most of the time)

2) 1? Sheets atm

3) None, I just finished diapers

4) n/a

5) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

6) DH takes his dress pants to the cleaners to get mended because he's military and they have to be done better than I can do without a machine.

ETA: I saw the PP mentioned folding and putting away. I'm at least 3-4 loads BEHIND on that. It's all sitting in the pack-n-play right now. (Hmm...It DID come in handy! )

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#7 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
TTC

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 1
2) How many loads are dirty?0 but it's time to wash my sheets so I'll say 1 in the works.
3) How many loads are part-way through the process?0
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now?n/a (actually there's a basket full that needs folding from the last wash, if I don't fold as soon as it's out of the dryer then it can sit for some time!
5) How often do you iron clothes?used to when I had an office job but haven't had to iron in years
6) How often do you mend clothes?i sewed up a torn pajama a few months ago, so maybe once/year
#8 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM

3 - me, DH, 4 year old (not in diapers). We do family cloth though.

At this precise moment, less than one.

3) How many loads are part-way through the process?

1 - hanging on the line to dry right now
2 - baskets of clean, dry laundry that I haven't folded

Hahahahaha.

Probably 4 times a year but increasing.

It should be noted that until maybe 6 months ago I was horribly behind on laundry. I'd have piles and piles. It was overwhelming.

I think line drying has gotten me enthused. I feel motivated to wash when the sun shines, since I never know if we'll have a stretch of rain.

Generally I'm on top of folding the laundry and putting it away, but this week is hot. But sometimes I do get behind on that front anyway.
#9 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 4
2) How many loads are dirty?1/2
3) How many loads are part-way through the process?1
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now?drying in the drier (raining)
5) How often do you iron clothes?never, sometimes my husband does, I can't figure out how to iron
6) How often do you mend clothes?whenever there is a tear
#10 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM

This is fascinating.

1. 4; three adults and one baby in 'sposies.
2. Counting the sheets that need doing this week? Maybe six loads dirty right now?
3. 0. Laundry is always done on Saturday and Sunday starting with lights and ending with bedding.
4. N/A
5. Since both of the two office-job-having adults in this house work in casual offices I hardly ever iron. Maybe around the holidays? I make a point of not buying clothes that need ironing if I can help it.
6. Whenever something needs mending or altering but not more than six times a year at the very most.

Beth, wife to Cass and SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09...and now also mom to a second wee girlie 2/6/12. Nursing with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid.

#11 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kivgaen, I admit this is surprisingly interesting, but why do you ask?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who irons very infrequently.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#12 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 PM

2) How many loads are dirty? Now? 2 maybe
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) I ran a load this morning that's still in the dryer
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? dryer
5) How often do you iron clothes? Never. We don't even own an iron.
6) How often do you mend clothes? When they need it. But it's not that often, mostly sewing buttons back on. DS1 ripped some pants last night that I need to sew up.
#13 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM

I'll preface by saying that there's generally so many loads dirty for one and a half persons because I made sure we have enough of all clothes so that we could go at least two weeks without doing laundry and still have clean outfits to wear.
Making myself feel like I HAD to do laundry every couple of days was driving me insane.

I've gotten much better about actually doing a full laundry cycle now that I only feel pressured to do laundry once every so often.

2...myself and my 5 yo

Generally there are about 3-4 loads dirty at a time (right now DS is at his dad's for the summer so laundry is almost nil since I wear a uniform daily)

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded
AND put away, you have to count them!)
3...because I've kind of slacked since DS isn't around to keep me in routine.

One is in the washer ready to be started, one is finished and sitting in the dryer, one is in the clean clothes hamper waiting to be folded.

Almost never. I only get the iron out because I have a to wear an ironable shirt every monday....and it doesn't get washed/ironed every week.

Just about never. Most of the civilian clothes I wear are from the thrift store so I don't put time in repairing them. I mostly re donate or trash for rags.

Center
#14 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Kivgaen, I admit this is surprisingly interesting, but why do you ask?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who irons very infrequently.
Because I have been working really hard at getting my laundry to its current state, but the "perfectionist" in me still isn't happy. I'm hoping this thread will show that I'm well within the "normal" range now
#15 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
6, 2 are in cloth diapers, plus family cloth and kitchen rags/towels/napkins

Maybe 5. Mostly half-full baskets in the kids' rooms or towels, they'll get washed once there are enough for a full load.

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!)
1, diapers being washed

in the washer

eh, never. I try to put the clothes away straight from the dryer before they get wrinkled. The only exception is my karate gi, sometimes it gets ironed.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#16 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

6 peope (2 aduts, 4 kids)

Right now there are probaby 3-4 loads worth of dirty clothes and bedding.

There is a load of clean clothes somewhat sorted on the couch (ok, probably knocked on the floor by now), and a load of clean clothes halfway hung up in the family closet.

The dirty loads are crammed into a tall hamper in the upstairs hallway by the kids' rooms.

Iron? what's that? I think we have an iron somewhere... I iron by throwing a damp towel in the dryer with wrinky clothes.

mend, like sew? Never. DH will fix his pants or repair a button if need be. He's good with a needle and thread. I do spend time on stain removal, though. Me and dishsoap, a toothbrush, and some oxyclean get down on an almost daily basis.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 2 - my husband does his own laundry.
2) How many loads are dirty? 1, maybe 2?
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) I have one sheet that hasn't made it to the closet yet.
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? Uhh... it's sitting on a bench in the kitchen.
5) How often do you iron clothes? About once in a blue moon. I do have a pair of pants that always needs to be ironed after washing, so I've learned not to wear them. Ever.
6) How often do you mend clothes? I don't do that.
#18 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCakes View Post
1)
5) How often do you iron clothes? About once in a blue moon. I do have a pair of pants that always needs to be ironed after washing, so I've learned not to wear them. Ever.
Okay, I just have to say...

#19 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=Kivgaen;15601579]
1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 3

2) How many loads are dirty? 0

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) Did 2 today - need to fold and put away.

4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? They are in 2 laundry baskets on my bedroom floor waiting for tomorrow. I ran out of time today.

5) How often do you iron clothes? As needed which means almost never. I most often iron napkins. LOL.

6) How often do you mend clothes? Never. DH will a few times a year. I cannot sew.

***In general my rule is 1 load a day and I keep up. Today I had 2 to do because of extra guest linens from the weekend. Time got away with me with other household tasks and I didn't get them folded.***
#20 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 PM

2) How many loads are dirty? probably 2, but i don't know what's in the girls' hamper upstairs
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) 2
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? one in dryer and one in washer
5) How often do you iron clothes? almost never
6) How often do you mend clothes? it depends on if it's worth it to me

Honestly I never have laundry completely done. There is always dirty clothes in a hamper somewhere. As long as they are in hampers though I'm ok with it

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#21 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 PM

2) How many loads are dirty? 3-4
3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) 4
4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? Separated, folded and put into each person's room (we all put up our own laundry) - the kids are at my moms so their not here to put theirs away and I haven't changed the bedding so it's sitting in the basement folded on the laundry table
5) How often do you iron clothes? every other week or so
6) How often do you mend clothes? once a month if anything needs it, but I like to mend
#22 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM

I do laundry for 2 adults and an 11 year old.

I'd say about 1/2 a load is dirty right now, maybe less.

There are 4 loads ready to put away right now, and one sitting in the dryer, dry. Yesterday was laundry day, and it is not my responsibility to put away laundry that is not mine.

The folded loads are all in everyone's respective laundry baskets. Mine's in my room, the others are in the laundry room.

I hardly ever, ever, never iron. Maybe the napkins and place-mats once a year.

I occasionally mend. I'd say 4 times a year I darn a sock, or fix a hem, or sew a button.

Laura, mama to Abel, age 12.
also caregiver to many other creatures...
#23 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM

beach towels are not clean but will be washed after lessons in the morning, they are dry and in the beach towel basket. I have 3 on swim team and 2 in lessons daily plus any leisure swimming

I amswered zero but...
I keep 3 sorted baskets on top of the washer dryer and wash when full or on schedule (clean sheet Friday) I encourage people to let wet or sweaty clothes dry on the patio/drying rack/clothesline before the clothes go into the laundry closet so it doesn't reek of teenage boy soccer clothes, etc.

almost never

in batches, maybe every couple of months, once the clothes that need mending overflow the space allotted (a hook in the closet)

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#24 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 PM

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for?Four

2) How many loads are dirty? Probably two right now

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!)None, not doing laundry today

5) How often do you iron clothes?I iron most of my tshirt because I hang dry them and they come out weird. My khakis too and this one stupid pair of pants that I love, but the pockets get all bunched up in the wash. I will iron dh's dress shirts in an emergency but I really hate that so they go to the cleaners.

6) How often do you mend clothes? Never again. I just taught ds how to sew so I won't be doing it anymore. (I have limited use of my fingers for fine motor things, so ds had to learn.)
#25 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM

2) How many loads are dirty? 2, maybe. One of towels, one clothes.

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? Um...4?

4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? One in the machine right now, 3 in baskets to be put away.

5) How often do you iron clothes? Very rarely, only if we're dressing up, job interview, that sort of thing.

6) How often do you mend clothes? Once a month or so. I put everything in a stack and knock it out at once.
#26 of 94 Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 PM

As today is my catch-up-on-laundry day, I felt drawn to reply :-)

2) How many loads are dirty? 1

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? 1

4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? Just finished it's cycle in the wash, waiting to be hung

5) How often do you iron clothes? Never, I don't currently own an iron

6) How often do you mend clothes? In bursts, monthly maybe? I always have an ongoing pile of to-be-mended clothing & usually do several at once when the mood hits me. I always buy 2nd hand clothing, so there is always a regular pile.

I don't own or use a clothes drier & we are mid-winter right now! So my biggest issue at the moment is waiting for enough clothes to dry before putting more through the wash. In the summer I am much more on top of it as it's easy to dry clothes.

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#27 of 94 Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM

There are four of us.

None; as we take clothes off we toss them down the basement stairs to drop into the washing machine. The machine is about half full now, so not nearly ready to run.

One

It's on the clothesline. Hopefully it will be dry by tomorrow morning.

When enough things pile up that need to be ironed, so about once every three to six weeks.

Almost never; we don't rip many things.
#28 of 94 Old 07-09-2010, 12:38 AM

two grown ups, one toddler, two dogs

less than one tonight, but in 36 hours it'll jump to two

one... no, two because the clean dish towels and rags and son's clothes aren't put away yet.

in the dryer, partly damp
waiting on the dining table
in a basket in son's room

never

2 -3 times per year I'll sew a patch or a button

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#29 of 94 Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM

Three

None

Two - folded in the laundry basket but not put away. Honestly though, they kind of live there now.

Oops, answered above

When I have something that needs ironing. I don't buy clothes that need ironing so not very often!

Whenever they need it.

It's complicated.
#30 of 94 Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 AM

2) How many loads are dirty? 1

3) How many loads are part-way through the process? (if they aren't folded AND put away, you have to count them!) 1

4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? In the dryer since this afternoon and it won't get folded and put away til tomorrow.

5) How often do you iron clothes? Hmmm once in 5 years maybe. I don't buy anything that needs ironing, and my iron leaked all over a shelf and I threw it out about 6 months ago. I'll be getting a new one eventually because of some table linens that need to be pressed, and the occasional sewing project.

6) How often do you mend clothes? Maybe once a year. I have a pile of stuff saved up because my MIL is coming and she claims she will do it. We'll see, as last time she said the same thing and did only a couple of items of 15 or so. Some of the things I have for her this time were in the pile last time, and she came over a year and a half ago.

Count me among those who kind of likes laundry, except for sheets and DH's clothes which are too big to fold easily. I love washing the kids' clothes. The rest of my house is messy, but the laundry is consistently done and put away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page