Eating Disorder Recovery - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone!

It's been a busy couple of weeks and then I forgot where "we" ended up so it took me a while to get back here. Anyway, we had a visit with some extended family which didn't go too well but it was a nice 4.5 hr drive each way. Besides the trip was about going as a family not necessarily about going to see family.I now know why I have kept several states between us. Way too much drama to go into but lets just say that it will probably be another 30 years before I step foot on their dirt again. LOL!!!

So, back at home we've all been dealing with some sort of sinus/bronc infection. Not enough to get everyone to the doc but annoying enough to slow down our daily routines...not to mention this insane heat. 102 is considered on the cool side.

Emotionally, I have been up and down. Going from extremely tired to raging evil. My poor husband has dubed me "Eve"...I guess it's better than being called "Sybil" ( movie references just in case I'm showing my age ) LOL!!!
Food really hasn't been a main focus and for the record, I ditched OA. They were begining to freak me out a bit and I couldn't give them the committment that was required of me. So, I discovered the joys of homemade smoothies! Almost as good as icecream but the funny thing is that I'm too lazy to keep cleaning the blender so I really make them count with fresh fruits, wheat germ and yogurt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can stick with this.

Oh yea, 2 weeks ago I bought a silly piece of exercise equip which is still in the box collecting dust!

Hope everyone is well!
#32 of 43 Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 AM

Hi,
I saw this thread and decided to hop on board. I've never been diagnosed with an ED, but definitively have something going on in that area.
When I get stressed, I basically go back and forth between starving myself and eating ridiculous amounts of whatever comfort food I fancy at the time. One of the problems is that there is almost always something I feel stressed about (finances, my ex-husband, etc) so it's hard to get back on track with healthy eating habits.
I use to smoke lots of pot, and then would get the munchies at night, overindulge, then wake up with no appetite. I'd get hungry by mid-morning, eat, and then not be hungry till mid-afternoon, then at night.
I pretty much quit smoking, which helps a lot, but it's still hard for me to eat, and eat healthy.
I am committed to eating three times a day, healthy foods, reasonable amounts, and intend on posting my progress here. I feel the need to be held accountable for what I say I'm going to do.

"That boy, Frank, he lives inside his own heart. That's a real big place to live." ~ Karl Childers (Billy Bob Thornton) in Sling Blade
#33 of 43 Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 AM

CliffRose, you sound like you have a really good idea of what you need to do in order to make progress. I wish you the best! (And everyone else too.)
#34 of 43 Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome CliffRose!
#35 of 43 Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks!

"That boy, Frank, he lives inside his own heart. That's a real big place to live." ~ Karl Childers (Billy Bob Thornton) in Sling Blade
#36 of 43 Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 AM

Hey everyone, sorry about the late reply, this month has been a rollercoaster for us.

Welcome CliffRose

I go through ups and downs with my dh . Sucks because aside from the fact that we're from different cultures we're very opposites of each other. Then when we decided to do selective vax recently (would be my son's first shot at 18 mo) he got a serious reaction. On top of that I've been dealing with a cold for weeks now. Since I'm pregnant I can't and wont take anything for it. Anyway I hope everyone is doing good.
#37 of 43 Old 10-02-2010, 04:12 AM

(I previously posted as CliffRose, an account I opened because I had lost all the info related to this account)
Last Friday, I had a formal meeting with a friend of mine who is a certified Holistic Health Counselor. She is having me keep a food journal for two weeks, although it might be an ongoing thing. She is a very nice and non-judgmental person, so I feel safe working with her. We'll meet every 2-3 weeks, and every time she's going to give me 2 or 3 things to focus on or change in my diet and lifestyle.
I think that having someone hold me accountable will help me get in line and really work at healing myself. I just can't go on with the issues that I have.
#38 of 43 Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 PM

Hello everyone,

I don't have a diagnosed disorder but as I work out my past I find some frightening truths. I just recently had a convo with a college roomate and somehow the subject of me throwing up food came up. She said she didn't know how to talk to me about it then. I truly never thought that I had a problem. I didn't do it a lot and I thought I was only doing it because it was unhealthy so it was a good idea. Now I realize that I didn't throw up "unhealthy" food when I felt okay...only when I felt depressed or in pain etc. So I am just sorting this out now I guess after being in a kind of denial. I did stop that eventually but moved into just being weird about food....like super super low fat, vegetarian etc, lots of exercise. Even now I am still plagued with "orthorexia". I just learned that term. I have really made a lot of progress since my son was born.

Peace to everyone here. Let us heal.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#39 of 43 Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Hi, 

Anybody still here? Not sure how this works... there's just one thread in the group? 

Anyways, I'm pregnant, 11 weeks, have a 2.5 year old, vegan (except when I'm bingeing), raw (ditto) mommy, struggling with bingeing. 

Last time I was pregnant, my eating disorder really got a lot better, and I was able to eat a reasonable amount of food without bingeing and able to let go of the all or nothing attitude. I still did binge probably one, sometimes two days a week, but overall, I remember it as a better time in my life, where I felt good about my body and the clothes I could wear. 

This pregnancy has been so different. Unlike last time, I've had non-stop queasiness / nausea (no vomiting), and paradoxically, it's been causing me to eat more and more triggering foods. I just want to eat mashed potatoes or pasta or bread, and I tried giving myself permission to do that and not feeling bad about it, but it ends up derailing me and taking me into a binge. I had lost some excess weight this year with a lot of hard work, bingeing less and working out, and now it's almost all back on and I feel so uncomfortable in my body and in my clothes. I'm wearing maternity clothes just so that I can fit something comfortably. I don't want to post how much weight I lost / gained back, because I don't know if that's triggering, but it's more than you should gain first trimester. 

Right before I found out I was pregnant, I started seeing someone for energy healing to help with all of this. I should back up to say that eating has been an issue for me from when I was 11 or 12 (dieting / restricting), through mid-teens (starting more bingeing), pretty much all the time until now (just turned 32), so it's been about twenty years. I tried behavioral, analysis, meds, different therapists, and I learned things, but the problem always stayed the same. I sometimes did get some relief from meds, but I feel like I was kind of just checked out. One thing that helped me was getting on a raw vegan diet, at least as my baseline to always come back to after a binge, which I did when my son was about one. It helped me find a way to eat that I was okay with and could eat sufficient calories so I wasn't setting myself up for a binge. Since then I've stopped the hardcore restriction that I used to try to live up to on "good" days. But I still fall off and I still struggle. The first two sessions with the energy healing work were amazing and I felt so free, but then I got derailed from the nausea / cravings for heavy, dense foods, and since then, it hasn't helped. I don't know whether it's because I can't relax feeling so uncomfortable in my body, or whether it's because my body has been, at each session, full of food and coming off a binge. Hard to be open to healing. I'm trying hard to eat a very clean diet that will help my body feel good for a couple days before my next session in the hopes that I can get that feeling of freedom back. Otherwise, I'll have to re-evaluate. I'd hate to write that initial response i had as just that first time placebo that I sometimes get when I try a new approach, it seemed different. Anybody else tried energy healing type work? I never thought I would do anything like this, but I have done everything else and I refuse to just give up. 

#40 of 43 Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Hi, I realize this is an old thread but I am hoping you ladies can help me with something. My daughter has an eating disorder and compulsively exercises. She never reached "skinny", though she was slim and she had/has amenorrhea (loss of period). She wants to heal but she refuses help, so she is trying to do it on her own without therapy. She researches online. I don't know where because she refuses to let me in. Currently, she believes that in order to recover she needs to eat a large amount of food (2-3 rounds of breakfast and almost-constant snacking throughout the day) and refrain from exercise. It seems she is headed in the opposite direction which might result in spiraling back to where she was to begin with, or worse. Logic tells me she should find a happy medium, moderate exercise and healthy well-balanced meals, to encourage a healthy mind and body.

Has anyone heard of this method of recovery? What helped you?

#41 of 43 Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM

I would let her do it. Perhaps she is doing an approach like gokaleo aka eat the food. The idea is that after you come off of restriction, is important to just eat without restriction. Sometimes it works in that people can normally reconnect with their hunger and fullness signals and not eat based on external rules after a period of referring. I the other hand, sometimes gaining weight can re awaken the diet ninny thoughts. But whatever she wants to do, at that age it is hard to convince her otherwise. Each person has their own way to recovery. If you can be there and listen in a non judgmental way it's probably the best thing.
mother_sunshine likes this.
#42 of 43 Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine View Post

Hi, I realize this is an old thread but I am hoping you ladies can help me with something. My daughter has an eating disorder and compulsively exercises. She never reached "skinny", though she was slim and she had/has amenorrhea (loss of period). She wants to heal but she refuses help, so she is trying to do it on her own without therapy. She researches online. I don't know where because she refuses to let me in. Currently, she believes that in order to recover she needs to eat a large amount of food (2-3 rounds of breakfast and almost-constant snacking throughout the day) and refrain from exercise. It seems she is headed in the opposite direction which might result in spiraling back to where she was to begin with, or worse. Logic tells me she should find a happy medium, moderate exercise and healthy well-balanced meals, to encourage a healthy mind and body.

Has anyone heard of this method of recovery? What helped you?

As someone who's been through the recovering>relapsing>relapsed>recovering cycle many times since I was a teen, I can tell you right now that if anyone who had been in a position of trust/authority over me had said anything that could even be interpreted as "you're eating too much and not exercising enough", it would have set me back, immediately and badly. You need to tread on this very, very lightly.

Also, after severe restriction, it is really, really, REALLY normal to have a period in which both appetite and weight look 'out of control' or whatever. Hunger cues have been trained out of EDed people and need to be relearned. 'Full, too much and hungry' will be meaningless for a while. The body will gain rapidly as it has slowed metabolism to burn less calories because it's been in a state if starvation. Food intake and weight will slow down and even out, as long as recovery stays on course.

Just because she won't seek professional help doesn't mean you can't. Find a therapist who is well versed in eating disorders and talk to him/her. Visit a support group for families (on or offline). Talk to a doctor or nutritionist. They can help you find appropriate ways of coping with your daughter's illness and supporting her through a recovery. The We Bite Back website is a helpful one (or at least it was back when I visited it regularly). http://webiteback.com/

The forum section has a forum for friends and family. That would be a good place to read about resources.

Also, it would be great to start a thread like the original one up again.
mother_sunshine likes this.

Jamie, 34,  mom to Tykie (12.07.02) Malachi autismribbon.gif (08.09.04) and River (10.20.13), and married to Kaleb since 03.11.10
#43 of 43 Old 07-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Thank you Mrscookie and Moonridden for your thoughtful responses. Mrscookie, I think you're right. I believe that is the approach she is taking. I am fully supporting her as she continues the path towards healing and finding her natural cues again. Moonridden, the WeBiteBack site looks awesome. I've shared the link with her. Thank you both. stillheart.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page