No Motivation - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks very much for the recommendation. I've recently discovered what you just mentioned, from reading Louise Hay. When I realised I had a problem, it made me feel really depressed for a week or two, but I'm now working on it with positive thinking and daily affirmations. I've also started the exercises in The Artist's Way, which I think may be helping already. I'm feeling a lot more positive and feel that I might be able to get over my motivation problems soon. This morning I did a lot of things before my daughter was up. I even cleaned a very mucky kitchen window and windowsill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 AM

I wouldn't rule out ADD/ADHD.

Neurotransmitters have a LOT to do with motivation, etc.

I am not quite sure what all plagues me, but I know that my WANTS do not line up with what I am 'motivated' to do. So I wind up feeling like my motivation is perhaps not to blame.

Low and behold, ADHD meds really get me going! My DH asked if I was a different woman than the one he married. Meds aren't perfect so I'm looking for other ways to boost things, but it's good to know maybe it IS a chemical issue and not a personal lack of willpower or something.

Look up how ADHD presents in women. It's a bit different from general ADHD and might sound a little more accurate for you.

And see a Dr in any case. I don't think that not doing things you want to do is a sign of good health. Answers aren't always easy to come by, but they're worth looking for!
#33 of 42 Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM

i have serious motivation and follow through problems. i also have adhd. i don't take meds for it now, i only took it during college, it really helped though. i would love to figure out a way to get the same fix without the meds ( i don't like the anxiety. i have that without the meds anyway)
i heard recently that acupuncture really helps adhd.
also,i just wandered into this thread and earlier today i was thinking about my motivation issues. i had decided that i would come up with a few little goals everyday and use a timer to schedule little bursts of work. so, 15 minutes of cleaning, and only allow myself 10 minutes of online time (that is a great time waster). 30 minutes of commited child attention time, 30 minutes of working on my class, etc. i hope that it helps me get used to working and at the end of the the day a bunch of 15-30 minute activity times should add up to lots accomplished, right? we'll see.
but, just wanted to say, i'm in the same motivation boat as you.
#34 of 42 Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 PM

***ETA: Whoops, talk about ADHD.... missed my previous post But I am more sure than ever that chemical issues are to blame and also apparently just as frustrated as you are, OP.

Have you had any luck researching some possible causes?
#35 of 42 Old 10-25-2010, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

I've been reading the mood cure and am going to get the amino acids I seem to be deficient in. The book has questionaires about your mood, and if you score high in certain areas you are led to the chapter concerning the type of mood problem. I scored high for a couple of amino acids I'm deficient in, and one involves having no motivation and feeling 'blah', which is me. I've started taking one of the amino acids I need; seratonin, but need to read the chapter for the one I need most. I'll try and update once I've started taking it.

ADHD is also interesting, as I do seem to have mild symptoms. So if the Mood Cure doesn't help, I'll start looking into that. But first I just want to start by supplementing and improving my diet.
#36 of 42 Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm the same way...

What do you do when you're not doing what you think you should be doing?

Clearly you are not doing NOTHING... you are still doing SOMETHING. What is it? Sitting? Reading? Typing? Browsing the internet? Thinking? Breathing? Sleeping?

Start a journal. Keep procrastinating at your usual pace, and carry a tiny booklet and pen/pencil with you, and write down everything that you do. Write down in the margin how many minutes or hours you spend doing it.

Here's the hard part: DON'T JUDGE WHAT YOU WRITE! You are not writing it down so that you have a record of your "laziness" or so that you can put blame on yourself for how unproductive you are. Think of this as a science experiment. You are only collecting data. You are in the observational stage.

Observe (AND RECORD) your behaviour, for one week. Try to make this part of your daily routine somehow. Keep a book with you in your pocket, and write every time you sit down. Or put a journal on your computer, if you use it frequently, or use the "notes" feature in your Phone or PDA, if you have one. etc.

Do you think you can manage the above task, WITHOUT judgement?
#37 of 42 Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Kivgaen; I usually spend far too much time browsing the internet, or on occassion I'll read a book. One of the reasons I don't do anything I want to do, such as crafts or drawing, is because my daughter insists on joining in. So really, there's no point. So I just sit at the computer because it's less hassle if she interrupts me. But even when she's asleep I tend to just browse the internet, it's a very bad habit. Once I start it's very difficult to get up and do something else.

I will give the journal a go, it sounds like it could be interesting. I had been writing 2 pages of thoughts every morning when I got up. It was an exercise from The Artist's Way, but it didn't really make any difference to anything.
#38 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettlesoup View Post
I will give the journal a go, it sounds like it could be interesting. I had been writing 2 pages of thoughts every morning when I got up. It was an exercise from The Artist's Way, but it didn't really make any difference to anything.
I started my journal on September 23rd. I carried a book with me and I wrote in it for 3 days. I stopped writing in it on September 25th. I am just looking over my journal now and I observed that I had things written down in the journal in advance of me doing them... I believe I was trying to save time. But in essence, I basically created a TO-DO list... And then I stopped using the journal.

Interesting -- I never really thought about this before. Okay, I'm picking up my journal where I left off, and I will continue to just JOURNAL what I spend my time on. No judgement, no TO-DO lists, no thinking, just plain, simple, observations and recording. It would be even better if I could set up a nanny-cam in every room to record my life for me, and then I could just observe at the end of the week and write it down at that point, because the act of being aware of my behavior and observing it will change the behavior, and the nanny-cam would reduce the "observer effect". But I don't have a nanny-cam, so I will just have to do my best to not pay any mind to the "observations" and to just try to carry on as I would have done so without the observations.

You may ask -- what is the point of the journal? (I know you didn't ask, but I will answer it anyway!) This was the first exercise in a series of exercises that were designed to help with procrastination, goal setting, time management, etc. The theory behind the first exercise is that you cannot change a behavior that you are not aware of. So the first step is to bring an awareness to the behavior.

I haven't read about the second stage yet since I never finished the first exercise. But I have 4 more days to journal and then I will start on the next exercise.
#39 of 42 Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE

I thought it would be a good idea to post an update because I found my cure! I mentioned that I had started reading The Mood Cure. Well I started taking two supplements she recommended, and I can't believe how much they've changed me for the better! I really didn't expect such a huge improvement. I started taking 5HTP and L-Tyrosine, and the effects were almost instant! They are amino acids which occur naturally in food, but I needed the supplements because it turned out I was pretty deficient in them. I started on the 5HTP (seratonin) first, and it soon improved my moods and made me a lot happier. Soon after I started taking L-Tyrosine as well and it's made such a huge difference on my life!

Thanks to these supplements, I am happier; my partner said yesterday that I laugh a lot more. My temper isn't nearly as bad and I'm not negative anymore. The increase in productivity has been great; I've been crocheting like mad lately! Before the supplements, I'd want to make something, but just couldn't put in the effort to make a start. Now I can quite happily start on something and keep going until it's finished. I always used to get bored of projects before they were finished. I think this has changed because now I feel really good about making things, and I'm now finding a lot of satisfaction in it. I think that's what has motivated me. I've also found that I look forward to things a lot more, and the prospect of something new excites me.

There have also been a couple of unexpected improvements as well. As soon as I started taking the L-Tyrosine, my suigar cravings disappeared almost intsantly! I've been trying to fight these cravings for ages, and have never managed because they were too strong. Now it'll be no problem at all. This is because the supplement is giving me what my brain needs when it craves sweets, so the craving goes away. The other surprise was an increase in my sex drive. I had very little sex drive at all and the whole thing was a bit of a chore, but now I seem to be up for it almost every night! My partner is certainly not complaining!

So that's what's been going on! I forgot to add, I keep getting so many ideas of things I want to make, and I desperately want to get started, but currently can't due to lack of tools. But hopefully sfter Christmas that'll change. So I'm really looking forward to a New Year of much productivity and creativity! I hope this post helps those of you with similar problems. I recommend The Mood Cure so much! It has comepletely changed my life for the better :D

#40 of 42 Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 AM

That is great to hear! I am thinking that maybe I should check out that book as well now.

I've had a lot of success with diet: I am doing the bulk of protein during the first two meals and carbs at night. I'm also taking b6 daily, which is supposed to help with metabolizing all kinds of things.

However, I still have WICKED carb cravings and I'm sure that's due to some underlying imbalance. Keeping my blood sugar stable makes a huge difference, but I'd love to not desperately crave crap!

Will definitely look at getting that book ASAP.

I'm so happy to hear that you've discovered that life IS meant to be something that we are able to keep up with! I think it "normally" is that way too and I'm glad you didn't accept your earlier situation as being your fault or anything of that nature.

#41 of 42 Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Have you heard of the book "The Now Habit" by Niel Fiore? It helped tremendously with getting work done. I thinks it's the best book on procrastination out there. I have all my students and friends read it. You should check it out!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#42 of 42 Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

That book sounds really good; I'll put it on my wish list. Thanks for that :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page