"No surfing the internet" week, anyone? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm in too! must check my email once a day though for business.

signing off....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
OK, I'm online because I got my major task for today done (cleaning the fridge plus posting an article). Want to know what helped? I opened the curtains in the living room. I don't have an office, and usually keep the living room in a charming lair-like gloom so I can see the screen. When I have to squint, I feel much less inclined to go online!

I think you can also get software that "blocks" you for a pre-arranged time... I'm not sure if it blocks you from just the internet or the whole computer, though.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 AM

I'm popping in. I DESPERATELY wanted to see the new layout! I LIKE it!

Anyway, I have good days and bad days with the internet thing. I am not coming here, I logged out of one my other fave chat pages, BUT I found a new place to hangout. : /

I am back on fb, too. Too much.

Obviously I still have a lot of work to do.

AND I never put my computer in the closet.

I am working on it.

Someone upthread mentioned adult interaction. That is a big draw, too. My dh works looong hours and then when he is home, he is tired and we don't talk all that much. Online there is always someone to talk to if you want to talk.

So hello and goodbye!

See you all soon!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 AM

I'm relieved to hear that I am not alone - I too have problems not checking email, Facebook etc everytime I walk past the computer, and every time DS is engaged in actually playing by himself I tend to go online when it would be SO much more productive to do some cleaning *ugh*. I think the social interaction is key, I have big needs for social interaction and they just aren't adequately met in my everyday life as a SAHM. What's worked for me recently though is taking 3 weeks off from FB (And announcing it to everyone first), that seemed to save TONS of time, and not switching on my PC till at least the late afternoon, unless there's something specific I need to check. I find having recently acquired a phone with internet on it helps too as I can deal with emails as they come up rather than thinking 'Oh but I have to check my email' and use that as an excuse to get sucked into 'the portal'. It def is an addiction with m e, and its funny b/c I've been so critical in the past of my ex who is a total TV addict, but I am just as bad with internet (but TV bores me so I would walk away from it and go on the PC instead!) At the moment I am back on FB but am very rarely posting anything, just occasionally reading status updates and commenting... but I know its a slippery slope! It makes me so disengaged from my son, it's terrible.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 AM

I so need to join this thread!  The internet (specifically MDC and facebook) are my escape and I'm finding myself escaping more and more.  We are moving in 2 weeks and I find myself procrastinating stuff like packing, sorting, organizing, making phone calls, etc. by "just checking my e-mail" a million times a day.  I know I'd be horrified if I could tally up the amount of time I spend with my fanny parked in the computer chair.  I've tried only checking in first thing in the morning and I get really anxious and antsy during the day.  Addiction, anyone???

I'm turning this time suck off right now, and won't turn it on again until after the kids are in bed tonight.  Promise.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

User Tag List