Overscheduled!!! Need advice! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm feeling pretty stoooooopid because last spring I was asked to be on the board of directors (specifically as chairman) of a non-profit I have been a part of for a while, I accepted, and at first it was fine, but in the last few weeks I suddenly don't have time!

I'm dropping the ball big time. It started with DS1 taking on some extra activities after school (at my suggestion, I didn't realize how time intensive they would be), then DD3 started going through some kind of high-drama phase which is turning everything into an ordeal. And my youngest is battling recurring ear infections, which means I am getting NO sleep lately and I'm trying to juggle all the pede visits and follow-ups.

It doesn't help that DH and I are having some financial trouble to boot, so there's just the stress of that which is formidable. I keep forgetting about phone calls I am supposed to be making, following up on letters and meetings and, oh I am just so freaking tired!

Anyway, I don't know what to do. I kind of want to just quit, but I know that won't solve everything. I'll just end up with a lot of people angry at me, which seems even more stressful. They are already frustrated with me for doing a crappy job. I'm delegating what I can. I'm sure if I had more sleep I could think straight about this.

Advise or commiseration welcome!!!

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 04:23 AM

Could you speak to the board and explain that things are difficult for you right now and you'd like to take a leave of absence?

If they're not keen on that I'd just quit. If they're already frustrated at you they may be glad to have someone else fill the role.

It's complicated.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Do you have a council or board of directors? You need to let other managers know you are time crunched and delegate some of the work out.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:28 PM

If you want to resign from the BoD, then resign with a sincere apology and with confidence. Your family is more important! Your family is with you for a season---non-profits, volunteer work, work, etc... they will always be around.

User Tag List