Books to help learn to manage anger effectively? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I didn't know where else to put it.

Does anyone have suggestions for books to help effectively and constructively manage anger without losing it. I am really struggling lately and could use some help.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with anger. It is so commendable that you are addressing it. Acknowledgement and self reflection are a large part of understanding where it is coming from, and how to change your actions in mid-stride. I use journalling a lot. I just write freeform sort of letting my mind wander and try to get as close to the bottom of it as I can. Counseling also has helped me more than anything else. I usually discover that anger often is a more superficial feeling or reaction to pain, fear, or frustration that I am having.

I often reflect on writings from the Dalai Lama, and Thich Nhat Hanh. They both address anger, and understanding it in oneself. You don't have to be religious to benefit from them. They are fairly neutral, but you do have to give yourself some time to digest their writings. At least I find that I don't have to read very much at a time. Healing Anger is the one by the Dalai Lama. Here's some quotes from Hanh http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/...ich-nhat-hanh/ and he has written a book called Taming the tiger or something like that.

Mama to one bright, warm Son of '99
#3 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cape View Post
Counseling also has helped me more than anything else. I usually discover that anger often is a more superficial feeling or reaction to pain, fear, or frustration that I am having.
I agree!

The Dance of Anger is quite good.

Mama to my 2 boys
#4 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM

I have heard great things about this book, though I have not personally read it.

What really helped me when I was angry with my then 3 year old ds all the time(and newly post-partum as well), was "Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles" by Mary Sheedy Kurcincka. That, and the "Parenting and Rage" thread in this section.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymama12 View Post
I agree!

The Dance of Anger is quite good.
I just listened to this via cd while in the car. I thought it was very informative.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#6 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM

I think this is a good website.
http://www.angriesout.com

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#7 of 7 Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
supplements are what help me- magnesium (citrate or glycinate), D3, a b complex, more inositol and choline, cod liver oil for efa's, and gaba (a calming neurotransmitter) and i keep my cool. if i'm off magnesium, d3, and b complex my rage rears it's head. the others i take as i can afford them. rescue remedy also does wonders for me. i believe there is often a biological basis for behavior, and that while cognitive behavioral efforts help, they are not the be all and end all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page