Calling MIL Mom or FIL Dad? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the whole thread, but I don't call my in-laws "mom" and "dad". I call them by their first names. I also called my first in-laws by their first names. My sister called her late MIL "mom". I think it depends on many factors.

I can tell you that I would never call someone "mom" because they pressured me to. In fact, I'd be very unlikely to ever call someone "mom" if they had ever pressured me about it. "Mom" is something that one calls their real mother and, if applicable, someone they feel plays that role in their emotional life. It's up to the person saying it, imo. (I usually feel that a polite person addresses a person the way that person wishes to be addressed. I don't feel that applies with "mom", "dad" or other family type titles.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
Also, if you're comfortable calling your in-laws Mom and Dad, what makes you comfortable doing so? Was it something you had to learn to be comfortable with or were you comfortable from the beginning?
Well, first off I guess I should say that my mother died when I was 3. My dad remarried when I was 6 and made me call my stepmother "Mom", I did so until I was 15 and no longer under "his control", now I call her by her name. So I've never really had a GOOD mother figure

I do call my mother in law Momma, she lives 4 hours away so I see her about 4x a year, but when she's here or calls or on FB I call her Momma.

But, she's also pretty freaking awesome. lol. She's a biker/hippy/free-spirit and so I totally love her.

But I was married before and did NOT call XH's mom anything other than her name because I didn't like her at all.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post
Also, if you're comfortable calling your in-laws Mom and Dad, what makes you comfortable doing so? Was it something you had to learn to be comfortable with or were you comfortable from the beginning?
Well, first off I guess I should say that my mother died when I was 3. My dad remarried when I was 6 and made me call my stepmother "Mom", I did so until I was 15 and no longer under "his control", now I call her by her name. So I've never really had a GOOD mother figure

I do call my mother in law Momma, she lives 4 hours away so I see her about 4x a year, but when she's here or calls or on FB I call her Momma.

But, she's also pretty freaking awesome. lol. She's a biker/hippy/free-spirit and so I totally love her.

But I was married before and did NOT call XH's mom anything other than her name because I didn't like her at all.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:31 AM

I never did...I felt it was incredibly awkward for me to do so.

User Tag List