How much do you drink? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How many drinks do you have on an average night?
ZERO: I never drink or very rarely 119 51.74%
1-2: Two is my max unless I'm at a wedding. 85 36.96%
3+: Hmmm...is anyone counting? 26 11.30%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On an average day, say...a Wednesday, you're tired, it was a slightly rough day, you're relaxing with a book, in front of the TV, or talking with a friend - how many alcoholic drinks do you have?

#2 of 66 Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM

I don't drink at all. When I did I would only drink a little with meals, never to relax. That's just me.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#3 of 66 Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 PM
2xy

I voted 1-2, but I don't drink every day. Maybe once or twice a week. And I've been known to have more than two even if I'm not at a wedding. More than three and I usually feel crappy the next day (especially if it's wine), so I usually don't have more than three unless it's over a few hours and food is involved.
#4 of 66 Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 PM

I voted zero. The only time I have alcohol is possibly at a wedding and then it's only one. And I haven't had a drink since I got pregnant with my first, so just over 3 years now! I just don't like a lot of alcohol and I have zero interest in pumping and dumping.

Mama to three

#5 of 66 Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 PM

I voted zero. I will have maybe two drinks in a year's time, if that.

I have a low tolerance for alcohol. I remember the old formula of Nyquil could make me loopy. Plus my uncles were both alcoholics so I tried to avoid for that reason, as well. I am afraid I would become addicted. So I just decided to avoid.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#6 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 AM

I voted 1-2 but that's like maybe once every 2 months or less, certainly not every night! (This is when I'm not pregnant)

Mom to a 2.5 girlie and a new one in late February/early March
#7 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 06:02 AM

1 or 2 once every couple of months.
#8 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The most I would drink is 1-2 a couple times a week.
#9 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Zero. Nada. Zip. A few years ago, I realized I was drinking a little bit daily, just to soften the edges, and that I was looking forward to it the entire time I wasn't drinking. It had become too important to me, so I stopped. It's still a fight.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#10 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM

I voted zero. I think I have about one drink a year... I don't like the taste and my DH doesn't drink (history of alcoholism).

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#11 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 AM

I voted 1-2. but two is only my max during the week. I have a beer or glass or wine most nights. Then on the weekend I might have a night I have more. I'm not getting plastered but I'm certainly not driving. And DP will not drink and then the next weekend we will switch.

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#12 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 AM

I used to drink a few times a year, like put my party hat on. Now I'm on a crapload of medication and can't drink. 1) Because after about a drink and a half I vomit publicly and 2) my liver has enough going on, drinking is the last thing I need to do.

i miss having a drink though.
#13 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 AM

I voted 1-2 and that's usually a couple times a week. In the winter I like to put a smidge of Bailey's in my tea at night.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#14 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM

None. I quit 15 years ago (with rehab and a program).
#15 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 AM

I voted 1-2, but it is actually 1. I have one glass of wine about 5 nights a week.
#16 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 AM

I drink 1-2x a year if that. I have a high alcohol tolerance, I've been tipsy once after 4-5 double shots of vodka then after 15 minutes the feeling was gone (this was in college to just see.)

My best friends growing up had alcoholic parents and mine just never drank. I don't really see the point.

I view wine like cheese cake. I like it I'll splurge some, but only some because its too rich. And rarely.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#17 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM

I drink very rarely. Like maybe 4 times a year. And never more than 2-3 drinks. Usually 1-2.
#18 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry987 View Post
On an average day, say...a Wednesday, you're tired, it was a slightly rough day, you're relaxing with a book, in front of the TV, or talking with a friend - how many alcoholic drinks do you have?
Almost never.

In all my life, I've never drank alcohol very much. I never "partied" and have only ever used alcohol in a responsible manner. I don't like beer and know very little about wine, so never buy either. My husband "partied" on New Years Eve (2010 - his birthday is also on New Years Day) at a friends house while I read a book by the campfire, since I had agreed ahead of time to be the designated driver. He drank a lot of gross things that night and ended up ill and it was a most unpleasant experience for me to see him in that way, and unpleasant for him once the alcohol started affecting him. He regretted it that night and the next day and felt off for a couple days. He usually buys Rum which he keeps in the freezer and on very rare occassions, he will mix some with Coke, but I don't think he has drank any at all this entire year since his over-drinking he did on New Year's Eve/Day.

One time, when I was in my early 20's, I drank 3 drinks over the course of 3 hours and it made me ill. I never drank that much ever again because I don't like to throw up. That was when I learned I am incapable of drinking more than 1 drink without getting drunk. I would define drunk as being flushed (my cheeks and face get hot), a little slower mentally and then sleepy. I don't understand the desire some people have for the 'drunk' feeling. I don't see the point of doing that to my body. Perhaps once or twice a year, I will drink something alcoholic, but limit it to one. There are other things I like to drink that simply taste better.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#19 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 PM

There is no "other" option, so I didn't vote. On the wednesday night you described I might have one. Or I might have a nice herbal tea. Say 2 or 3 times a month, more likely in the cold season than in the warm. But DH & I drink wine as a part of dinner. We typically drink a bottle a week between the two of us which adds up to about a glass or maybe two per day between sunday when we open the bottle, and tuesday, wednesday when we finish it. The rest of the week is water only. But a little wine with meals is fairly typical here and would not really be considered applicable in response to the question "how much do you drink".

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#20 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM

well, i put zero, because i'm currently pregnant, but when i'm not pregnant i'd say i have a drink (a glass of wine or a beer) about one to three times per week. it's rare that i'll have more than one drink in a sitting (except when i'm visiting my sister -- then we'll share a bottle or two of wine).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#21 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 PM

On an 'average' night I don't drink. I consider myself a light social drinker.

I have about one beer a month. I just don't care. If I'm at a party, I'll have a glass of wine or a beer, and when I'm living it up, I'll have a margarita or two. For special dinners, we'll open a bottle of wine and I'll have a glass or two.

My dh will drink a beer when we have pizza for dinner (about every 7-10 days), and when he's sick. We don't keep an open bottle of wine or hard alcohol on hand because we just don't drink that much.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#22 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 09:13 PM

No more than two on any one occasion, but I very rarely drink. I'm nursing, and I do keep drinking very minimal when I'm nursing. I had a drink of wine on my anniversary in September - can't remember the last time before that.

When I'm not pregnant, nursing or driving, I'll usually drink one drink, occasionally two, but I don't do it very often...more than right now, but still not more than a couple of times a month (maybe once a week in the summer - I like a nice cooler/cider). But, I'm kind of guessing, really - it's been a while since I was non-pregnant and non-breastfeeding for any length of time.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
None. I don't like the taste. Plus, broke. Plus, pregnant. Plus, DD gets frantic if she can't taste a sip of whatever I'm drinking.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#24 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 PM

yeah, zero-- after I was preggy or nursing for the better part of 10 years, I just didn't see the point in starting-- never was more than 1-2 a year anyway.
#25 of 66 Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 PM

I voted zero because it was the option closest to reality, but really I'll have a drink or two three or four times a year--basically always at weddings or while eating out at a nice restaurant.

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#26 of 66 Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 AM

I'm fascinated that there are only non drinkers/moderate drinkers on this thread! I'd have said maybe it's cuz it's a mothering website in general, but many of you have mentioned that you've always been moderate. And I know a few used to drink and stopped purposefully (which I have great respect for).

So I guess I'm alone here but when not pregnant I probably drink 3-4 drinks/week, unless we're out for some special occaision or I have friends in town and then I can go up to 4 in one night, though that is pretty darn rare since becoming a mom (also I'm still BF so on those rare nights I gotta pump'n'dump so I don't hardly do more than 1).

But before I became a mom... I am a big music fan and a lot of my social life used to revolve around shows and friends and often there were situations with unlimited free alcohol, so I could do 4 days at a time of quite a lot of drinking (like 6 or 7 in 24 hrs) and then I'd look forward to returning to normalcy (and not drink at all for awhile). While I was drinking I'd still be up at 7:00 and at work on time, work all day and be fine, then back to hanging out and partying.

I can definitely say though that kids are the best reason for changing lifestyles... I miss drinking when I'm pregnant and BF exclusively, but I don't miss it THAT much when I look at my little babes.
#27 of 66 Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LROM View Post

But before I became a mom... I am a big music fan and a lot of my social life used to revolve around shows and friends and often there were situations with unlimited free alcohol, so I could do 4 days at a time of quite a lot of drinking (like 6 or 7 in 24 hrs) and then I'd look forward to returning to normalcy (and not drink at all for awhile). While I was drinking I'd still be up at 7:00 and at work on time, work all day and be fine, then back to hanging out and partying.
I was the same way, minus the alcohol. Hang out all night into the AM at shows, at people's houses, whatever, then go to work.
Drinking was always meh for me. I think I had one drink on my 21st birthday.
Quite honestly I don't see the appeal in excess drinking. I hate the fuzzy nose feeling, the idea that I could get sick and the amount of liquid consumed.
#28 of 66 Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
none of your options fit me.

I have an average of 2 drinks per week. Some weeks I don't drink at all. May be once a year I have an occassion where I have more than two. (Last time that happened was an AC/DC concert last year, not a wedding!)

Most days I don't drink at all, and a normal drinking occassion is a meal out with my DH and friends and we share some nice wine.

On a normal evening, I drink things like green tea or crystal light!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#29 of 66 Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM

I drink once or twice a week, but sometimes go weeks w/o drinking at all. I could take it or leave it, seriously. If there was a reason I couldn't drink for the rest of my life it wouldn't really bum me out.

That said, I do enjoy a drink at times, and when I do, I'm good with 1-2 drinks. My tolerance isn't very high (anymore), and I don't enjoy feeling drunk. If it's over a longer period of time, and a special occasion - and includes eating - I might have 3+ drinks. The last time was over the summer at my brother's wedding reception, and I admit to having too much to drink, but it was fun and a time to celebrate (and DH was on kid duty).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#30 of 66 Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Now it's never. I did enough damage to my liver in my teenage years. Back when I was a teenager on the weekends I used to drink pretty much every friday and every saturday. A friend and I once shared a 32oz of vodka and drank it straight from the bottle!

I haven't had a drink in about 3 years. For the past 10 years I've probably had 3 drinks. I just don't enjoy alcohol and it hurts my stomach. I happily volunteer to be the designated driver.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page