Do you smoke in your house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't smoke cigars or cigarettes... nothing with tobacco, actually. I've never tried it, and never had the desire to try it. BUT, DH an I will, on occasion, smoke (something else) in our home. Usually only on a Friday or a Saturday... and not every Friday or Saturday. Always at night, after the kids are in bed. Sometimes in my master bathroom, with the window open. Sometimes downstairs in the kitchen by the stove, with the fan on.

I told my sister this one time. She is an avid smoker and smokes about a pack a day. And probably would smoke something else much more frequently than we do. In a phone conversation one day somehow we got on the topic of the location of where we smoke and she was shocked and amazed that we do it in the house since we are both avid non-smokers. (I can't stand the smell of cigars and cigarettes!). She was under the impression that even the slightest amount of smoke in the home can have ill effects on the children, even given the circumstances that I described above.

So, I want to know... if you smoke (now, or in the past), do you do it in the house? If you used to do it in the house but you now do it elsewhere, what made you stop doing it in the house? I really just wanted to know if DH and I are being really irresponsible by doing this, or if my sister is over-exaggerating, as is a typical reaction of hers when someone does something that goes against what she believes is the correct action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know the flame war potential this discussion has and I hope it won't come to that, however....

My spouse smokes, like Joe Camel type, but ONLY outside. That does.not.happen in the house. Ever. Below freezing temps and he can take it outside, or quit.

Now, on the rare occasion that we smoke... non regulated, non tobacco, Earth grown things (or known by my dad is Mother Natures Finest... MNF for short), that usually happens in our room with the windows open after the kids are in bed. The reason is that it is not nearly as toxic as tobacco products, it is not used in near the amounts, and with the door close and windows open, the amount that would travel to them, in their rooms with the doors closed is extremely minimal.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#3 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

You said that it does.not.happen in the house, but you didn't specify why. I won't stand anyone doing that in my house as well -- My reason is the smell. I can't stand it! And it goes everywhere. I can always tell when I am sitting next to (or near) someone who smokes. I always hate performing in our choir when I am sitting next to the tenor section because one of them is a cigar smoker and I can't sing next to him!

Anyway... as for MNF, we seem to be on the same page with that one. But I wonder -- does anyone else use MNF recreationally who wont, absolutely WON'T do it in the house? And if so, why??
#4 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
(or known by my dad is Mother Natures Finest... MNF for short)
I love that, BTW... I think I might use it from now on.
#5 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Not a smoker of anything, but just for comparison sake - we've had people use MNF in the basement and the smell dissipates in a day or less. We've had someone smoke cigarettes in the basement (without permission ) - smell stayed around a week.

Personally, I'd prefer neither in the house cause I'm terribly smell sensitive. We did have guests who ended up using MNF upstairs once in the bathroom and it was just too much, and I didn't appreciate it being around my clothes/linens/artsupplies (mostly fabric - just too smell absorbant)/and kids toys. I feel the same way though about chemical perfumes and stuff like that too, though.
I totally won't permit cigarettes though because of the chemicals and we have asthma/allergies in the household.
#6 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 02:28 PM

The smoke along with all the chemicals clings to your body especially your hands and hair till you shower. So even if you smoke outside, you will still be cover with the carcinogens when you go back inside.
#7 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Yes but it is absolutely the lesser of evils when the alternative is smoking inside...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#8 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Maybe depends on the size of your house. As a current non-smoker of anything, I can tell you that the smoke and the smell travel farther than you might think when you're partaking. I certainly won't get involved in which is worse: MNF (great term, btw) or commercial cigarettes. I don't think I'd smoke either in the house, if I were suddenly inclined to do that.
#9 of 27 Old 11-06-2010, 04:13 PM

My husband is a (cigarette) smoker and he only ever smokes outside. I would not allow it inside. For health reasons, sure, but my biggest reason really is the smell. I just can't handle it - and stale smoke is, to me, even worse smelling than the smell of someone actually smoking. I don't even wash his clothes with the rest of ours, because I don't want the smell to transfer.

Neither one of us smoke MJ at this point in our lives. I never smoked at home when I did - it was a social thing that happened at parties, and whether it was smoked in or out depended on the desires of the host - and it was about 50/50. Interestingly, even at parties where MJ was being smoked inside, people who smoked cigarettes tended to go outside. It does seem to me that MJ smoke dissipates faster and doesn't cling to things as much as cigarette smoke, but I don't know that there's any sort of science to back that up. If we were going to smoke now, we would probably do it in doors with the windows open and fans blowing it out. I live in Mexico, and while possession has been decriminalized for personal use (along with heroin, cocaine, lsd, and meth), I would really rather not get involved with police here, and smoking inside seems to carry less risk of that.
#10 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well, so far there hasn't really been any "flaming" going on. Does that mean that there really isn't anyone out there who thinks that DH and I are irresponsible for our behaviour that I described in the OP? I guess I better do my own research... I might have to go to the library for this one though. There's a lot of crap out there!

I found lots of stuff online that says marijuana doesn't cause cancer. I've found some that says that it's even WORSE than cigarettes because the carcinogens present in marijuana smoke are 10 times worse than that of a cigarette (in all fairness, the ratio of joints to cigarettes for the average marijuana smoker compared to the average smoker is probably close to 1:100).

I knew when I took on this project of getting to the bottom of this, that I would come up with a lot of conflicting answers. But I never expected anyone to actually make a claim that marijuana could be part of a treatment for lung cancer. That made me laugh!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0417193338.htm

(You thought I was joking, didn't you? )
#11 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

I really want to believe that this is true... It probably isn't, but anyway. I post the link for you to make up your own minds:

http://www.suite101.com/content/mari...search-a270271
#12 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 03:33 AM

Try baking with it, or make ghee. No need to mess with the smoke.
#13 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 AM

I'd vote vaporizer.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#14 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
Try baking with it, or make ghee. No need to mess with the smoke.
Do you have experience with this?
Don't you use more of it this way? How much would you have to use in a single muffin, for example?
#15 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
Don't you use more of it this way? How much would you have to use in a single muffin, for example?

I have no idea how to do it, or even about what Georgia said, but I heard that it's safer to use that way. Baked goods do a big business at the dispensaries in town here. Maybe check on line for recipes? Or experiment and post your results here.
#16 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Those are options as well. For us, we don't do it often enough to justify the expense of a vape or the time/quantity for baking...

#17 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 01:46 PM

I don't care what your smoking, if you are at my house you smoke it outside. I smoke cigarettes, I live in New England. Believe me in the winter I smoke WAY less!!!

The way I see it, it is my choice to smoke, so I don't share with my kids.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#18 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post

I found this-
http://www.allpotseeds.com/pot-brownies.html
#19 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 PM

I do think it's a bit hypocritical. I also think people believe that smoke (whatever) tend not to smell it themselves and believ the smell dissapates much sooner than it actually does. I really really hate smoke! So maybe I'm a bit biased. However it make me really really sick really fast. Like I get a headache if I was through the smoke guantlet in winter outside buildings and I get sick to the point of throwing up if I try to stick around and talk to someone who is outside smoking.

I think pot stinks too. Smoke isn't good for children. Any kind of smoke. But you know, I don't think it's any worse than having a wood burning stove, or a fireplace that you use regularly. So explain that your sister if you like.
#20 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 PM

I smoke (cigarettes, mind you) outside (or near a wide-open window).

I don't smoke 'other things' anyway, but would NEVER smoke 'other things' in the US.
#21 of 27 Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM

To answer your question, no, I don't think you're being irresponsible or hypocritical at all. Your sister is completely over-exaggerating (or is simply misinformed). The amount of smoke (or smoke dust or residue) that your kids would be exposed to in your situation is negligible. In fact, it's more responsible to smoke certain earth-grown things inside if you live in a state where these particular substances aren't decriminalized, because it puts you at less risk of getting yourselves into trouble.

I'm currently trying to quit smoking cigarettes (for the millionth time, sigh), and I've never ever smoked in the house because I wasn't interested in smoking for longer than I was actually smoking, know what I mean? It reeks and makes everything inside your home reek. But the smoking of other things was always allowed indoors at parties, the lingering smell was brief and not unpleasant, and even though I don't smoke these other things I was never bothered by it.

To smoke indoors only once a week or less is not going to negatively impact the health of your children.
#22 of 27 Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 PM

Cigarettes definitely outside. The smell lingers and it ruins your furniture and makes the walls yellow. MNF, when we have it, which is rare gets smoked in the garage or on the tiny enclosed porch.

Marijuana causes cancer if you smoke it, not if you eat it or use a vaporizer.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#23 of 27 Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Cigarettes, and cigars and pipes and all that you can smoke outside while at our house. This applies to everyone that comes through the door.

The something else, you can just join us in the garage later. We can have fun messing with DH while he watches the paints.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#24 of 27 Old 11-16-2010, 06:08 AM

I smoke cigs..nothing else in the house near an open window. My DH also smokes as do most of our family and friends, we keep the windows wide open when we have company.

ETA: When I go to public places I do not smoke..ie church,school events, or around friends that do not smoke.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#25 of 27 Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Cigarettes are linked to 3rd hand smoke now. Toxins staying on clothes etc. YUCK! My mom is a smoker and was when we were little. She smoked in the car with us and thought it was alright because she had the window rolled down. To this day I am working on my resentment around that. I felt like I was too little to know how to speak up and I didn't have a choice in the situation.

With that said, MNF does enter our home at times and we are just mindful of when it happens. It doesn't happen around our little one and outside if possible or with fans on and windows open when she's not around.  That's my personal feeling linked to how I grew up. 

We do have a wood stove too and I even feel guilty about that at times! :)

#26 of 27 Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Well I think most people dont go outside to smoke MNF because it is still an arrestable offense - (or am i just watching WAY too many cop shows??)  - we rent our apartment, and have a lovely terrace - i wish my DH would go out there to smoke MNF - but then he would have to answer  the questions from the 15 yr old DD and 12 yr. old DS "what is he DOING out there?"  and then what happens if the neighbors catch wind of it?   They will either be horrified  (possibly call cops or CPS)  - or invite themselves over!  - so currently, my DH smokes in the bathroom with windows open.  i think the smell doesnt seem to linger as long because its a few minutes of the day, not all day every day, like cigarettes would be.  So i dont find it hypocritical to smoke MNF indoors at all - its more important that it be kept secret - and for those of us who dont own a nice big back yard...indoors it must be.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#27 of 27 Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 PM

I should clarify that we live in the woods with no close neighbors. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page