Know anyone who has attended any Landmark Education or Optimum Health Institute events? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both of these have come up recently in conversations with various healers. I had never heard of either program before. I googled and read the web sites and now I want to hear from others....

Ever been to or know of anyone who has been to a Landmark Education or Optimum Health Institute event?

Ever heard of either one before?

Please share....

Thanks!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, an ex-housemate of mine got really into Landmark, as well as a friend of my hubby's. Honestly, I don't know much about the content, but I do know they use money-making and 'success' as the goals. I'm also pretty sure participants are encouraged to get others on board (maybe they get some sort of discount or reward?), but the content is secretive unless you actually join -reminds me of Scientology to be honest.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM

I know multiple people who went to Landmark - some ended up getting VERY involved.  This is an organization I would never be part of.  The relationships with those people were permanently altered (not for the better.)  The changes I saw these people make in their lives were not positive.  It almost gave them permission to behave terribly.  When I hear someone is "into" Landmark it gives me a lot of insight into their mindset and I steer clear.  THat is my personal experience.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:27 PM

my manager at one point brought me to a Landmark event.  Not my cuppa tea.  It was odd and cultish and felt unnatural and forced.  I never returned.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM

My ex really got into Landmark for a while -- and spent thousands and thousands of dollars attending their events. He took me to an introductory event, and no, it was not my thing. Very clearly a money trap. I don't trust organizations that promise you the world, but not until you fork over $1200. 

Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all VERY much!

I was feeling kinda weird about the Landmark event I was invited to and declined after reading the website. I didn't have anything concrete to say, "This bothers me," but it just didn't feel right. KWIM?

I am still curious about the Optimum Health Institute. One location is here in San Diego (suburb) and one is in Texas. It turns out I know a lot of healers who have connections to OHI. After reading the web site, it seems more "cult-ish" than Landmark. But, perhaps it is just geared towards certain types of people and is good training ground for new healers??? It is out of my price range, but they offer a free event and I was thinking of doing a mom's night with our playgroup. I don't want to invite my friends blindly, though....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 11-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Looks like I'm the only one here who actually attended a Landmark event, but I'll say right off I agree with everything else everyone else already said/heard about it.

I do want to add that the reason I went was because there were some concepts I'd heard about from others who did it that felt useful, and I really did find those parts of it useful.

But the initial Landmark training is 3 days, with over a day of just trying to "sell you" on the concept and beat you over the head that you are not successful unless you bring other paying customers.  In a class of about 100 people in my class, I think I was one of the only people who refused to identify others who would commit to taking a course.  It made them nutty - clearly the Teacher's commission is hurt by not getting 100% of attendees to commit other paying customers.  (FWIW they don't spend a solid day trying to sell you - it's throughout the 3 days that they beat you over the head but I calculated it added up to just over a day's worth of commercials and pressure).

I found myself asking a lot - and trying to ask the teacher after which I was never called on again - "If you are so sure this approach works to change lives, why are you spending so much time trying to pressure us into turning other people onto it?  Won't we do that automatically if we really believe in it?"  I never got an answer.

My overall assessment of the value of that experience: while there are definitely pieces of it that were valuable and useful and I continue to go back to them in my life... overall it's still not worth the expense and the grueling schedule and the bullying into pulling other people into it.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your candid reply!

User Tag List