Finding my way in the world - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family and I live in isolated New Zealand. Where attachment parenting is often frowned upon, I co-sleep with my two boys, and tandem feed both of them ages 3yrs and 4.5months old. We use cloth diapers. And babywear. I feel I am at a cross roads, being forced by society to feel that what we are doing is "strange and weird" when I truly know no other way of parenting/living. I have friends who are like minded in some aspects but I guess i don't truly feel accepted by my community.

What can I do to remedy this situation?

#2 of 3 Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any replies...

But you keep on doing what you are doing...and perhaps, if you felt like it, research all you can on Attachment Theory and know that your feelings and wishes are backed by a LOT of research.  Continue to read Mothering.com

Read up more about how interference with attachment can create anxiety disorders in children.  I have some excerpts from some published scientific journals here.

http://raisingsmartgirls.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/research-on-attachment-theory-and-anxiety-disorders/

Society doesn't FORCE you to give up what you believe is best for your children.  You simply think THEIR opinion is more important than your own.  It's not.

Research all you can about the benefits of tandem nursing and attachment parenting.

Ask Dr Sears 7 Benefits of Attachment Parenting

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T130500.asp

The psychological benefits of co-sleeping

http://www.suite101.com/content/psychological-benefits-of-cosleeping-a71446

See if there are local groups of La Leche League to join in NZ.  You ought to find other co-sleeping, APing, breastfeeding mamas there.  And if there is no local chapter, see if they can help you start one up!

http://www.lalecheleague.org.nz/

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#3 of 3 Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Can you tell us a little about how not feeling accepted plays out for you? Do you feel like you have friends and that people like, but they just think your parenting choices are odd? Or is it more than that, do you feel sort of..... Shunned.

As my kids got older, these things became less of an issue. It does get easier!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page