Have to talk to MIL about holiday plans - need advice quickly please :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My MIL called today and left a message saying that we are invited to her house tomorrow night to exchange gifts. Which is fine, we want to see MIL and FIL, but we do not want our kids around BIL and SIL.  So I need to ask her if they'll be there, and then if they are going to be there, I need to be able to tell her that we will not be. I foresee this setting her off, as getting together tomorrow night was my idea.

If they are not planning on coming, she'll still say something to me such as 'I don't know why you can't see them just once during the holidays!' So I need some good responses to that. BIL and SIL usually drink/smoke lots of weed during these get-togethers and then say inappropriate stuff to me/DS. They're also just rude in general. They don't like me, it's no secret. My MIL just wants everyone to get along, unfortuantely, since I'm not the type to confront (I'm working on my boundaries!) I usually get all the grief.

Basically, I need the words to say, and replies to her objections. And support!!

Thanks in advance for replying quickly :)

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 6 Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM

Does your DH feel the same way as you? If so, HE should be the one dealing with the problem since it is his mom. He could say something like this...

"Mom, I wanted to get back to you about Christmas eve. Are Alex and Sara going to be attending? Because if so I need to cancel. I'm sorry, I hate to make a fuss, but I just do not feel comfortable with them around my children when they've been drinking and smoking pot."
#3 of 6 Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I agree with the PP, have you DH call HIS MOM back and take yourself out of the equation.  The other option is to use your house as the hosting place and then you have control over who is invited.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 6 Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, DH and I are on the same page - I'm wondering why I'm the one dealing with this, too!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#5 of 6 Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Because you are,  Don't.  That's the beauty of caller.  Call you DH and say "your Mom left a message wanting to know if we're coming tomorrow.  She wants you to call and confirm".  Then do nothing.  Let the phone ring.

#6 of 6 Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

your BIL and SIL smoke pot in front of your child and your mil doesn't understand what the problem is? 

wow. I don't even know the rest of the back story, but that part alone is really out there for me.

Would it work when you want to see MIL to ask her to your house so that you control who is invited?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page