Book Recommendation for a Friend whose Husband Cheated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend's husband told her several weeks ago that he wanted a divorce. She just found out that he has been unfaithful in their relationship. I have no idea whether they are trying to work things out, or how either of them feel. I want to send her something to perk her up at little. Any ideas?

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I love this book and I think it's perfect for a woman who has been cheated on:

http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Worth-Marianne-Williamson/dp/0345386574/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297555936&sr=1-8

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

I love this book and I think it's perfect for a woman who has been cheated on:

http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Worth-Marianne-Williamson/dp/0345386574/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297555936&sr=1-8

Thank you!

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You're welcome; I hope it helps your friend.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Realize you were asking for something tangible to send, but you might also want to let her know about www.survivinginfidelity.com

It was a lifesaver for me right after I found out my DH had been unfaithful. It's a strong, supportive community full of people who are going through the same things she is and really "get" it.

You sound like a great friend!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusMom View Post

Realize you were asking for something tangible to send, but you might also want to let her know about www.survivinginfidelity.com

It was a lifesaver for me right after I found out my DH had been unfaithful. It's a strong, supportive community full of people who are going through the same things she is and really "get" it.

That sounds like a really good resource! I will pass it along to her. Thank you :)

Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchers1 View Post

My friend's husband told her several weeks ago that he wanted a divorce. She just found out that he has been unfaithful in their relationship. I have no idea whether they are trying to work things out, or how either of them feel. I want to send her something to perk her up at little. Any ideas?

Chocolate.

I think that self-help books are poor gifts.

Don't encourage her to work things out, just listen and let her process. He's already done with the marriage, he's said so and found someone new. Anything else that happens is just him attempting to let her down easy and/or ease his sense of guilt.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusMom View Post

yeahthat.gif

SI is awesome - whether she wants to scream expletives from the rafters or get support for all of the mood swings, questions, etc.  Someone will be there at 2am when she can't sleep to offer hugs and insight.  Awesome site. 

As far as books go - well it depends on the type of affair.  Not "Just Friends" by Shirley Glass really helped me - but it is geared toward understanding work and/or 'friends w/ benefits' types of affairs - and also a little bit geared toward reconciliation.  Also there is a section on SI that discusses reading and your friend should be able to find the right fit book for her situation. 

Thank you for being her friend and for caring this much about her.  Depending on how she is taking all of this - taking her a casserole, making sure she is staying hydrated and getting some sleep may be the BEST thing you can do for her. 

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)

User Tag List