Way Stressed and taking it out on hubby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're in the process of buying our first home and it's been way stressful. The realtor we ended up working with doesn't seem to have a clue about anything but it's too late now to make a change. It looked good for getting the house, but now we found out there is another offer on it. And the thing that makes me mad, is if the realtor had her stuff together it would have been a done deal.

So far the process has lasted about 3 weeks. The thing is I'm not mad at my husband none of this is his fault but he seems to be bringing out the worst in me. Beyond that every little thing seems to be bothering me. Stuff that I could normally ignore is getting under my skin.

Our current living arrangement is us staying with DH's parents. It's not bad, but it's starting to grate on me. Maybe because getting our own place is so close.

Does anyone have any suggestions for coping with the stress? I don't want to keep snapping over the little things but I'm having trouble dealing.

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young
#2 of 4 Old 04-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Since you're aware, that's a good thing.  Use that - apologize for what you've been doing, explain where it is coming from, and maybe even set up a code word that is funny with your DH so that he can use it when you are flying off the handle.  Or police yourself - count to 20 every time before a mean word comes out of your mouth - think about what it is REALLY about and see if that helps.

Tjej

#3 of 4 Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

Since you're aware, that's a good thing.  Use that - apologize for what you've been doing, explain where it is coming from, and maybe even set up a code word that is funny with your DH so that he can use it when you are flying off the handle.  Or police yourself - count to 20 every time before a mean word comes out of your mouth - think about what it is REALLY about and see if that helps.

Tjej

This is what we did in a similar situation.

For about 2 years I was on and off of fertility drugs.  They made me into a raging bitch.  I could feel it happening but could not stop it.  So frustrating for us both.  We had a code word - either of us could say it and it meant I needed some quiet time and I could just leave the room, go up stairs and calm down.

House buying can be so stressful but it will get better.  (((Hugs)))

#4 of 4 Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for replies. I'll suggest the code word tonight and hopefully that will help. I'm trying walking away for a few mins when I get frustrated. Or grabbing a glass of water. Just something other then snapping/continuing the argument. 

I think things will be a lot easier when we move. At the moment we're staying with his parents which is also stressful for both of us. I moved here from Canada, he was staying with his parents due to major sickness the year before. The cost of paper work for my green card kept us from getting an apartment at first, then he was told that he'd be getting a promotion and moving to Indiana in a few months. So we didn't see the point of looking. The months turned into half a year and things fell through but he got a promotion here. So we decided to buy a house.

Now that it's looking like we'll be moving out in two months or less, it just seems like things are way more stressful for everyone. I've been told that it's normal, but that doesn't make it any easier. But we're working through it one day at a time.

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page