Double Name Not Acknowledged! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYFUL1014 View Post

When I was in the business world, I was always taught how important names are, and I've seen it over and over again firsthand.  Just last week we were at a restaurant and the waitress's name was Tarra (Tar-ah, rhymes with Laura).  As she went past our table once, I said, "Excuse me, Tarra."  

Completely off the point here, but if I just saw that name spelled, I wouldn't know it rhymed with Laura.  I'd think it was more like TAR-uh than TAUR-uh.  But I don't think I'd say TARE-uh, because of the extra R--I'd figure it was there for a reason.  I knew a girl named Lara and everyone tended to call her Laura instead of Lar-uh until she corrected us.

As far as Ella Caraway is concerned, I think part of what happens is that it is an unfamiliar pairing, people are listening but when they hear something unfamiliar after a familiar thing, their brain might become a little confused.  Sometimes it's hard to determine exactly what was said, and just saying the part you recognize seems safer.  I'm in a position where people call me and leave me messages with their names, but sometimes the name is so unfamiliar to me that I play the message back because I didn't catch it the first time, and I am still not quite sure of it after that because of how it might sound on the answering machine, so if I'm in doubt, I'll ask people to spell it.

I think probably if you say something like, "Her first name is Ella Caraway, Ella like Ella, Caraway like caraway seed, we call her Ella Caraway" then people would pretty much get it at that point.  If they asked if it was OK to shorten it, you could say no.  Or if they are already shortening, you could say that you are respectfully asking them not to shorten her name, but to call her by her full first name.  Later on she might want to shorten it herself, since that is pretty common even in people with 2 syllable names.  Although sometimes lengthening of short names into longer nicknames can happen too, so I don't know what the deal is.  I knew a woman named Brenda Carol.  My mom tried to call her Brenda and she said, "It's Brenda Carol" and my mom never called her by just the first name of the pair again. 

#32 of 32 Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a very pretty name! If someone asks what her name is I would just say "well, she has two names, Ella Carraway, we named her after our grandmothers". I named my DD after my grannie and I always give people the whole stick....because my DDs name is Billie! So I explain a little...

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page