Broken. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel empty and dead.

When I feel anything, it's just anger and pain.

I don't know what to do. I have asked for help but can't get it. I have tried to help myself but I just can't.

I'm sick of being sick. I'm sick of putting on my happy face. I'm sick of feeling lost and lonely. I'm sick of not being able to do the things I want to do. I'm just sick of life.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 78 Old 08-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Oh, girl, I couldn't read and not respond.  I'm so sorry you are having a hard time!  I've felt just the way you describe feeling.  I seem to reach that point in cycles, up and down, good and bad.  Is it like that for you?

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 78 Old 08-08-2011, 06:12 PM

I'm so, so sorry *hug*

Is there any more detail that you can share that would help us help you?

*hug*

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#4 of 78 Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it's totally in cycles, last week I was doing awesome and this week I just want to die.

I hurt so much and I can't stand being in my own skin.

It's nothing in particular. I've had a crappy past with sexual and physical abuse and being locked up in a psych ward and nearly being killed and severe anxiety, anorexia, depression, self-injury, etc. and now I'm having major problems being around my family (parents, I mean) because of what I'm coming to see as possibly abuse from THEM too. It's like when you find out about Santa, except worse because at least with Santa you always had a little suspicion. I had a bit of a break with no contact for a month and then they called me (just to chat) and I just about fell apart. And I'm so overwhelmed with my health issues, my thyroid meds aren't working and I'm completely useless, a big fat lump on a log (er... the couch). My DS is driving me insane and now he's having some neurological problems and I'm terrified something is seriously wrong with him and they can't get him in for an EEG until the end of the month. The kid refuses to sleep and has been screaming at me for the last 5 hours. My DH can't seem to read my mind, and yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds... but I just wish he could tune in (socially/emotionally) and understand and lift me up. He tries so hard but he doesn't get it. Of course not, because nobody gets it, and really I don't give anyone a chance to. I'm always hiding myself and my past and I'm just so tired of it. I want to live a normal life in a normal body with a normal brain and just not deal with all this crap. I want people to know who I am. I want someone to help me but I don't want the judgement and I have a huge phone phobia so I can't even call to make an appointment with a therapist -- and my email bounced -- and anyway, I don't know that I could even open up to a therapist, because my anxiety around my issues is just so bad and I clam up. I hate myself so, so much and I just feel myself falling fast.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 78 Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

grouphug.gif   grouphug.gif   grouphug.gif

Have you thought about doing some body work instead of talk work? That's how I got into yoga. We store emotions in our muscles, and when we work with our bodies, we can start to release stuff.

If you don't like the idea of yoga (not every one does) there is a style of body work called Trauma Releasing Exercise that has that some of the same benefits, but without the new agey stuff. There's a DVD, so it's something you could do at home, by yourself, without having to call or meet new people (I know how difficult that can be when we are in the dark place)

here's a link about TRE http://www.traumaprevention.com./

You said, "I want to live a normal life in a normal body with a normal brain and just not deal with all this crap. I want people to know who I am. I want someone to help me."  You can have this. This is doable. Right now, just hold the tiny hope that something will make sense for you and that you will find that sense of relief that you need so much.

Peace

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 78 Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

grouphug.gif   grouphug.gif   grouphug.gif

Have you thought about doing some body work instead of talk work? That's how I got into yoga. We store emotions in our muscles, and when we work with our bodies, we can start to release stuff.

If you don't like the idea of yoga (not every one does) there is a style of body work called Trauma Releasing Exercise that has that some of the same benefits, but without the new agey stuff. There's a DVD, so it's something you could do at home, by yourself, without having to call or meet new people (I know how difficult that can be when we are in the dark place)

here's a link about TRE http://www.traumaprevention.com./

You said, "I want to live a normal life in a normal body with a normal brain and just not deal with all this crap. I want people to know who I am. I want someone to help me."  You can have this. This is doable. Right now, just hold the tiny hope that something will make sense for you and that you will find that sense of relief that you need so much.

Peace

Exercise helped me ALOT! My outlet was running. When I first started my medication this go 'round, I had ALOT on my plate, and had to get established with the mental health center(took a while). The list of stuff to get done seemed SO overwhelming when I looked at all of the stuff that needed done. When I focused on one thing at a time and told myself I was one step closer to being well, it helped me. Take care of your son's stuff, then get help for you, and then focus on you and your husband. YOU are most important right now, because of how horrible you feel. If you can't function, it's not a healthy household, and the guilt of that can seem overwhelming too. When I was sick, I couldn't physically function, and the house was constantly trashed and the kids weren't getting the attention they needed. I hope you can get stuff figured out. I don't know what is up with your family, but for my family, if I needed to cut them out of my life, I would tell them to leave me alone and that would be that.

#7 of 78 Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 AM

I am sorry this is such a dark time for you. (((hug)))
#8 of 78 Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys. I will look into the TRE, Linda, I never heard of that. Body work might be really great for me.

Doing a bit better today. I do think exercise of ANY kind would help me, if I could manage to do it. I have a hard time even getting off the couch/bed many days, due to the medical issues (was hoping the thyroid meds would help but they don't seem to do ANYTHING, weird). I need to figure things out, figure out where to go from here, get DS squared away (hopefully it's nothing serious and he'll be just fine, but I'm so so worried!!) Find DH a job and then get back into a routine and maybe things will be good. Thanks for all the hugs, I really need them.

#9 of 78 Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
 I have a hard time even getting off the couch/bed many days, due to the medical issues (was hoping the thyroid meds would help but they don't seem to do ANYTHING, weird).

There's a yoga CD that is done lying done and can even be done in bed. Here's the description

CD: A GENTLE WAY

1 ½ hrs of deep relaxation techniques, gentle stretches, and a few deeper spinal stretches. Yoga for your back, spine, hips and central nervous system. This sample class is a combination of some of the poses we do in our “pink” and “purple” classes at our Center. Done completely lying down on the floor or in a firm bed student need only do what feels easy and wonderful for their body. A Great CD for All Levels and Abilities!

Here is a link the yoga studio that produces the CD, and explains what pink and purple classes are:

http://agentleway.com/

The page to order from (if you decide to):

https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/ASP/home.asp?studioid=3722

I've never done this CD, but I've been thinking about ordering for ideas for the classes I teach. I went to a retreat last year with the woman on the CD and she was AMAZING. Totally amazing.

Things will get better. They really will. Your whole family has just got hit so hard, but things will calm down and you guys will be happy again.

much love and compassion

(I've been to the dark place, I know what it's like there)

Linda

#10 of 78 Old 08-09-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Linda, that's a great idea!!! You have answers even for my 'impossible' problems lol. hug.gif

#11 of 78 Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
 You have answers even for my 'impossible' problems lol. hug.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif  I hope you are having a better day to day and that you are feeling a little more hopeful about the future.

#12 of 78 Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I am doing MUCH better today. I spent the last 2 days hanging out all day with close friends and their kids and it really lifted my spirits. I am so so much happier when I am around my friends... but it's hard because I don't want to be 'needy' or anything so sometimes there are big gaps in my social calendar (the last 2 days were last-minute get-togethers so I thought I had nothing going on all week). Plus sometimes when I am around friends I still feel so lost & lonely -- usually when there's something weighing on me but I don't feel comfortable talking about it or whatever. I have a horrendous time opening up to people but I really, really want to. OK I'm starting to ramble, sorry!!

#13 of 78 Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:

I am so so much happier when I am around my friends...

I think it's pretty normal to feel more balanced when we are around people that feel safe to us.  I don't think we were meant to spend the massive amounts of time alone with just our small children that most SAHMs do. 

Do you have a good friend that you could talk to about getting together with to clean house? I never managed to arrange this, but it was one of my ideas for my own depression. I always thought it would be wonderful to have a friend that I spent two days a week with -- one at her house cleaning, and one at my house cleaning. In my fantasy, the kids helped keep each other amused.

BabyMae09 likes this.

#14 of 78 Old 08-10-2011, 09:42 PM

So glad you're feeling better. hug2.gif It is also good that you recognise that the moods are cyclical. I recently realised that taking Evening Primrose Oil affects my mood immensely. 

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#15 of 78 Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:

I think it's pretty normal to feel more balanced when we are around people that feel safe to us.  I don't think we were meant to spend the massive amounts of time alone with just our small children that most SAHMs do. 

Do you have a good friend that you could talk to about getting together with to clean house? I never managed to arrange this, but it was one of my ideas for my own depression. I always thought it would be wonderful to have a friend that I spent two days a week with -- one at her house cleaning, and one at my house cleaning. In my fantasy, the kids helped keep each other amused.

You know, I never anticipated feeling so alone when I decided to be a stay at home mom. In the beginning, it was cool, it was fun. Get to be home with my lovey dovies and give a kiss to my sweetie when he walked in. And then......I started to get bored and confined feeling. I hadn't talked to an adult in a regular everyday conversation in MONTHS. Nobody to talk or vent to except "online friends". WHICH by the way, weren't friends at all; they used my vents against me when I made a life mistake and tore me down repeatedly over several months and stalked me. Awesome, right? So add that to the mix of feeling like I can't function, any health problems, keeping up with the house, feed clothe and bathe the children daily, teach them how to be good little people and how to count to ten by age 3 and you just want to rip your hair out or go hide. It feels like too much and when you try to get out there and get a part time job, you get anxiety about being around people or being rejected for the job. You can't make new friends, because you they might not like you. They can't come to your house, because it's not as clean as you feel it should be for a SAHM. It's a cycle that took me a LONG time to recognize and see that something was wrong. I thought it must be normal, no SAHM can keep up with it all AND have friends, right? How do they "keep it together"?

And shortly after I saw there was a problem, I started seeing a therapist. We quickly found the spot where I was going wrong. I had trouble IDENTIFYING myself. I didn't know who I was besides a mom, a wife, a sister and a daughter. Those 4 things consumed my life. There was nothing for ME. What WAS I? Who did I want to be? I realized that before I got pregnant the first time, I had ran and worked out, but that stopped after becoming a mom. I found running really rewarding my whole life. I used to write before becoming a mom, because it helped me get all the junk out of my head. So I took a little bit of mom, wife, sister, daughter time out of my day and injected the healthy things again that I used to enjoy. I started walking daily(3 miles a day) and was writing in an online journal weekly. After I toned my legs with the walking, I started running and quit smoking cigarettes. I had something to look forward to again. I had something to identify myself besides mom or wife. I wasn't a model mother, I wasn't a trophy wife. Why not BE something for MYSELF? I am worth it. You're worth it too, CrunchyMommy.

BabyMae09 and Kanna like this.
#16 of 78 Old 08-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:

I have a horrendous time opening up to people but I really, really want to. OK I'm starting to ramble, sorry!!

There, you did it again! lol You stopped opening up. Sorry, I just found it a little ironic. I just started by opening up to a therapist. There are tools to start talking to people more. You might try to make plans with one friend one week and another friend on another week, so you have something to look forward to and you won't seem so needy to one friend or the other. Also, try to make those meetups less then 7 days between, so it doesn't seem like such a long wait or that it's a dull routine to go out on the same day, each week. Mixing things up a bit never hurt anyone as long as it's maintainable. thumb.gif

#17 of 78 Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

I had trouble IDENTIFYING myself. I didn't know who I was besides a mom, a wife, a sister and a daughter. Those 4 things consumed my life. There was nothing for ME. What WAS I?

I can relate so much to this. I didn't meet my husband until I was 30, and felt very blessed to quickly go from single woman with no prospects to wife, mother, SAHM to two little girls. Then I got really, really depressed and I couldn't figure out why. I had what I had wanted for so long and had given up on. My DH adores me, we are middle class, my DD are beautiful. We have a golden retriever!   I finally had the dream!

It took me a while to realize that I needed to make space in my life to be me, and then even longer to give myself permission to do so.

My biggest advice to moms of babies is to take a little time for yourself. I really don't know exactly how to do that because I didn't figure it out until my kids were older. But if I could go back and change one thing, that would be it.

cyclamen likes this.

#18 of 78 Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I am doing MUCH better today. I spent the last 2 days hanging out all day with close friends and their kids and it really lifted my spirits. I am so so much happier when I am around my friends... but it's hard because I don't want to be 'needy' or anything so sometimes there are big gaps in my social calendar (the last 2 days were last-minute get-togethers so I thought I had nothing going on all week). Plus sometimes when I am around friends I still feel so lost & lonely -- usually when there's something weighing on me but I don't feel comfortable talking about it or whatever. I have a horrendous time opening up to people but I really, really want to. OK I'm starting to ramble, sorry!!

I just wanted to respond & send you hug2.gif. From what I have read about you here on MDC, you are dealing with some major challenges with tons of courage.

Be needy. It's OK. You are probably not as needy as you think you are. Good friendships can handle helping each other through hard times. You are not alone in feeling lost & lonely, even when around friends. I know what that's like, and it sucks. Keep having the courage to reach out to your friends anyway.

Also, how is sleep going for you? Are you able to eat healthy food? Along with exercise, sleep & food are so central to our mental health.

Just keep posting & letting us know how you're doing. And how things are going with DS.

I'm rooting for  you!

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#19 of 78 Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, it's great to have so much support from you all, thank you!!
Quote:

That sounds lovely.. I'm not sure any of my friends would be able to commit to something like that though, they seem to have busy & erratic schedules or something. I do well with regular & predictable plans but my friends are more spur-of-the-moment types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post

So glad you're feeling better. hug2.gif It is also good that you recognise that the moods are cyclical. I recently realised that taking Evening Primrose Oil affects my mood immensely. 

I'll have to look into EPO!
Quote:

And shortly after I saw there was a problem, I started seeing a therapist. We quickly found the spot where I was going wrong. I had trouble IDENTIFYING myself. I didn't know who I was besides a mom, a wife, a sister and a daughter. Those 4 things consumed my life. There was nothing for ME. What WAS I? Who did I want to be? I realized that before I got pregnant the first time, I had ran and worked out, but that stopped after becoming a mom. I found running really rewarding my whole life. I used to write before becoming a mom, because it helped me get all the junk out of my head. So I took a little bit of mom, wife, sister, daughter time out of my day and injected the healthy things again that I used to enjoy. I started walking daily(3 miles a day) and was writing in an online journal weekly. After I toned my legs with the walking, I started running and quit smoking cigarettes. I had something to look forward to again. I had something to identify myself besides mom or wife. I wasn't a model mother, I wasn't a trophy wife. Why not BE something for MYSELF? I am worth it. You're worth it too, CrunchyMommy.

That's what I need, I need to kind of rediscover who *I* am outside of just a mom & a wife. I do have a job (WAH) but I don't enjoy it or get any real satisfaction from it. It's kind of hard to find time to do something I enjoy though (if I could even figure out what that would be!) DS goes to bed at 11:30pm, at which point I'm wiped out, and he gets up late but I need to work in the mornings (I have to get in min. 20 hours/week) and he doesn't nap at home either so there isn't any point of the day where I can just do whatever I want. Well technically right now I should have the time because DH was laid off but it just doesn't work out that way, and when (if?) he finds a job I'd have to drop everything and focus just on DS... so I don't want to pick up a hobby that I may only be able to enjoy for a couple weeks or something!
Quote:

There, you did it again! lol You stopped opening up. Sorry, I just found it a little ironic.

LOL that's true... I just don't feel like I have anything to say that others want to hear, so I try to restrain myself when I start spilling my guts.

I do get together with different friends every week. I love my friends, they are just amazing women. But I still have the issue of less predictability and stuff. I don't know why that's a big deal for me, but I've always been focused on that, I have a lot of trouble making or changing plans last minute (or cancelling... that often sends me into a deep depression, I take it way too personally).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CI Mama View Post

I just wanted to respond & send you hug2.gif. From what I have read about you here on MDC, you are dealing with some major challenges with tons of courage.

Be needy. It's OK. You are probably not as needy as you think you are. Good friendships can handle helping each other through hard times. You are not alone in feeling lost & lonely, even when around friends. I know what that's like, and it sucks. Keep having the courage to reach out to your friends anyway.

Also, how is sleep going for you? Are you able to eat healthy food? Along with exercise, sleep & food are so central to our mental health.

Just keep posting & letting us know how you're doing. And how things are going with DS.

I'm rooting for  you!

Thank you (I didn't think anyone even really 'knew' me here on MDC!)

I am sleeping better, some nights I get even 6 hours straight or so! I'm always tired but more sleep isn't going to help that even if I could fit in more -- so I'm happy with 'better' sleep than I was getting for the 2 years prior to the improvement!! And I am eating OK, DH is great about making sure I eat pretty regularly and well, although I am trying to lose a few pounds so sometimes I find myself getting mad at him for making me food (poor guy can do nothing right). I think I just need to exercise more, I know it will help my mental health... if I can ever figure out how to make myself move again! Before DS and before I got so sick, I used to work out 6 days a week & I really loved it. I miss having a gym membership because that really motivated me. I don't think we'll be in a financial position to use a gym anytime soon though, the jobs DH is finding just don't pay well (not that they're offering to hire him anyway greensad.gif)...

#20 of 78 Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM

So, what did you do before becoming a mom or even a wife that you enjoyed? It's okay to need somebody. And as long as you're working and DH is looking, there's no reason to not find a hobby. There will be time to do things for you. It took me actually writing out a plan and schedule with my therapist to be able to figure out how I should manage my time. I think I saw earlier in this thread that you have time where you can't force yourself off the couch. You can find a hobby or rediscover what you loved in that time. Who cares if your DH gets a job. You can still take that time for yourself. Just a time where you aren't needed by anyone, even just an hour is great. When I rediscovered exercise, I got up at 5:30AM so I had that time guaranteed to myself and no one else.

#21 of 78 Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hugs, Crunchy. Some of us do "know" you here, and you are welcome to open up anytime! I hope things start to look up soon.

I have to say, I started paying better attention to my diet the past few weeks, and I feel much less "down" than usual. I am taking a fish oil supplement 3x/day that helps my joints feel better, it's helping clear up my skin, and I think it's contributing to a slightly better mood. (Not saying it's a cure for real depression, but it's helping take the edge off a little.) I also decided to cut out wheat and all grains for awhile to see how that would affect me, and at the very least it's forcing me to eat more vegetables (I'm shooting for 9/day) which I've always been terrible about. Obviously, a healthier diet without processed food and whatever else my body considers "junk" (I've been told before to cut out wheat but I have a serious love affair with bread) will help my mood, but I've never been motivated to do it before. Now I've decided that enough is enough, b/c I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm drawn to the couch like a moth to flame! After two weeks of being nearly grain-free (had a couple of backslides), I feel SO much better already. And I'm drinking a ton of water, which, if nothing else, keeps me moving since I have to pee every 20 minutes. (But it is also helping my skin and helping me feel good.)

For me, it has been all about baby steps and finding one small thing I can do, one change I can make in my self-care that not only helps me feel better but leads to other small steps. (It seems that eating tons of veggies makes me feel thirsty, so I drink more water. Restricting wheat means that when I want a snack or just something to munch on, I can't have the cookies. The only other "easy" think we have are carrots or celery or baby cucumbers. I have NOT given up the ranch dressing that goes on them, yet, but at least it's homemade and lower-fat than store-bought...) Can you find something like that? Maybe a couch workout like a PP suggested that you give yourself time for every day? A walk by yourself (or maybe with your son if he can walk with you -- it doesn't have to be a power walk, just as long as he can be happy and safe on the walk)? A pretty water bottle that you drink from all day?

#22 of 78 Old 08-13-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ughhh I'm back 'down' again. I feel like a crazy person!!!!!

I was hoping to do something with a friend today but we really couldn't afford it anyway, plus DS can't handle the crowds, so we stayed home most of the day and I just felt myself dropping, dropping, dropping...

And any little unexpected stressor puts me over the edge. Today was the dishwasher leaking. It ended up being quickly fixable and didn't cost us anything, but for a few hours I just couldn't figure out what to do with myself, it was stressing me out so much. And that was a relatively small stressor in the grand scheme of things! So I need to figure out how to handle stress better without shutting down or being self-destructive.

IwannaBanRN -- hard to say what I liked to do before I became a mom. I loved working out. I was incredibly busy. For most of the previous years, I was in school full-time, working anywhere from 1-3 jobs at a time, a member of multiple organizations, and doing lots of volunteer work. I loved working, going to meetings, just generally being around people. I guess I'm the quietest, shiest extrovert you will ever meet lol. I never really spent much time at home so I never really had to consider what I'd do when I'm there. I did like to read, and I still do, but it takes a level of mental focus I don't always have these days. I think I'm externally motivated, and without the pressure of school & grades, clients & customers, etc. I just have trouble getting myself to do or enjoy anything. I never planned to be a SAHM, the goal was always for DH to do that or put our kid(s) in daycare. I didn't expect to want or need to stay home with DS and I just never had any vision of myself living this kind of lifestyle.

swd12422 -- I am on a vegan, gluten-free, low-sugar diet. I noticed that even though I try to eat well, balanced, frequently, etc. I have a major issue with eating in front of other people or just in general when I'm out. And I *need* to stay out a lot to maintain my (semblance of!) sanity... so there are lots of days where, come to think of it, I'm skipping meals, eating just a few bites of snacks I brought for DS, etc. and even when someone hands me a plate of food, I just jump at any reason not to eat it. It's probably affecting my mood and when I get home I need to eat a good amount of food to 'catch up' which is not helping my weight-loss efforts at all!! (I need to lose 5-10lbs and it's not working). So I'm not sure that it's what I'm eating so much as how I'm eating it. I try to take vitamins but I always stop after a few days because I have a mental block with them (I'm philosophically opposed to them, I feel like I should get everything I need from food, and I can't justify the cost etc...)

I do need to take more 'baby steps' but I just find it hard to do even that when I keep sinking so low so often. It seems like I have 2-3 good days followed by 2-3 bad days and so I will do all these things like work out a bit, make gratitude lists, take my vitamins, etc. for those 2-3 days and then just stop. I am just caught in this cycle and I can't get myself out of it.

I have a dr's appointment next week and I'm hoping he has some idea why my thyroid meds aren't working & where to go from there. I thought about bringing up my mental issues but I'm too scared to and don't want him to think I'm psycho (usually if medical people hear about my issues or see the scars on my wrist or whatever they just discredit all my physical issues or call in social workers or whatever but I think our current doc may be different but I'm not sure I'm willing to take that risk, and he's DS's doc too so I don't want to screw that up, plus really, I doubt he'd be able to help me)...

I think I'm going to just go lay in bed and see if any of our 3 TV channels come in lol. I am so fed up with myself and I just want to drown my mind out.

#23 of 78 Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i couldn't read and not respond! after so many years reading your posts, I feel like I know you! PM me if there is anything I can do

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#24 of 78 Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I have a dr's appointment next week and I'm hoping he has some idea why my thyroid meds aren't working & where to go from there. I thought about bringing up my mental issues but I'm too scared to and don't want him to think I'm psycho (usually if medical people hear about my issues or see the scars on my wrist or whatever they just discredit all my physical issues or call in social workers or whatever but I think our current doc may be different but I'm not sure I'm willing to take that risk, and he's DS's doc too so I don't want to screw that up, plus really, I doubt he'd be able to help me)...

Keep in mind that you don't need to tell the Dr. much of anything.  You can ask him for a referral to a counselor, or to a psychiatrist.  If he asks, you can tell him that you are having some depression and anxiety problems, and that you want to find a therapist, but are anxious about it.  You don't need to go in depth with the dr about it.  He probably won't be able to do a lot - but he WILL be able to help you find a therapist, a psychiatrist, or counselor.

Remember, Dr.'s have heard it ALL, and seen it all.  Most aren't out to get their patients - they are there to help their patients.  You deserve to find a way to get help for yourself.  You deserve to be happy, and to have a life that you are happy about.

#25 of 78 Old 08-14-2011, 12:23 AM

Hey sweetie -- I have scars on my wrists too! I feel like there should be a special club for us. Mine have really faded with time. No one notices them anymore.

Anyway, it sounds like money is really tight and that is making it more challanging to find ways to get out of the house. It also sounds like you finding something that works for your son is tricky.

Have you tried programs at the library?  They tend to be both free and kid friendly. Meeting a friend for story time and then going to a park together (take a cool drinks or simple picnic) could be a way to get out of the house without spending anything.

Do you have any natural areas near you? A state park or something? Spending time in nature is also good for my soul. We did this today -- I smelled pine and listen to a creek.

I can also relate to getting really freaked out over something minor. It's like there is a switch in my head, and once I'm in "overwhelmed mode," everything seems huge. I have no perspective at all. It always passes.

#26 of 78 Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 AM

You know...... I don't want to throw a diagnosis out there because I'm not a doctor or even a nurse, but are you sure you don't have a mood disorder that should be treated? I'm not sure that it's a slump that you're in so much as it might be a mood disorder KEEPING you in the slump. It might be anxiety, it could be clinical depression, it could be bipolar. All of those things will keep a naturally active and happy person down in the dumps. I'm on medication for bipolar and I have to admit that that was part of the reason I can actually half function today.

Linda on the move likes this.
#27 of 78 Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM

hug2.gif

i am also sorry you are in a dark place right now. i like the ideas everyone has suggested. i would also encourage you to discuss *some* or your issues with your doctor, and perhaps consider medication. there are also crisis lines you can call when you are feeling so down, and i am sure they can point you in the direction of resources in your area that may be helpful for you. i know you mentioned phone anxiety, so even if you called on your better days and asked for some help. are there any support groups in your area that may be valuable? i know there are even some online discussion/support groups that could help you move in the right direction if you cannot pick up the phone.

you deserve to have a normal life. you deserve to feel well. please don't give up, help is out there.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#28 of 78 Old 08-15-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I always thought crisis lines were for people who were suicidal. I'm not suicidal, I mean I've wished/tried to will myself to die but I wouldn't actually do anything to cause it. My DS can't be away from me for even a few hours, so no way would I leave him permanently. Support groups are something I need to look into, I don't know if there's anything around here.
Quote:

You know...... I don't want to throw a diagnosis out there because I'm not a doctor or even a nurse, but are you sure you don't have a mood disorder that should be treated? I'm not sure that it's a slump that you're in so much as it might be a mood disorder KEEPING you in the slump. It might be anxiety, it could be clinical depression, it could be bipolar. All of those things will keep a naturally active and happy person down in the dumps. I'm on medication for bipolar and I have to admit that that was part of the reason I can actually half function today.

Well... I know I have some disorders.bag.gif When I was 16 I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, depression, and several other disorders (some are not relevant anymore). I suppose if I saw a psychiatrist now, they'd diagnose me with depression or rapid-cycling bipolar (plus the anxiety disorder). I'm terrified of being 'diagnosed' with any mental illness now, though, because of the way things happened when I was a teenager. Plus, I've been on every medication under the sun... anxiety meds, anti-depressants, anti-seizure meds that are supposed to regulate mood, ADD meds, etc. and various combinations of all those and really, they don't seem to work for me so I swore off meds several years ago. I don't know if I'm just immune to medication or what. I don't seem to respond to anything. Maybe I'm just too far gone.

#29 of 78 Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 AM

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? It was very helpful for my DD, who has a social anxiety disorder. It's about learning how to change the way you think, learning coping skills, etc.

Does you doctor know about your dx'es at all? If not, you might mention the dx of anxiety disorder, and ask for a referral. It's a lighter dx than some of the others.

Have you seen the Louise Hay stuff? She's my favorite self help writer and she has a ton a You Tube videos. My favorite book from her is "You Can Heal Your Life. "  Here is a link to one of them; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxKUAjsxSk8

#30 of 78 Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 AM

nope, crisis lines are for anyone in "crisis", not just for feeling suicidal. look in the front pages of your telephone book and there should be some numbers listed there that you could call.

you're not too far gone! CBT is definitely very effective and worth looking into.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page