addicted to MDC - support thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

I went computer free for 4 years,.... It did not take me long to get hooked on MDC again. And it is not as happening as it was years ago but I still find myself staring at the computer.

And....

Ignoring my kids.

HELP!

Really. It is an issue here to and one I am trying to work on

Right, this is why I can't compare it to a 'hobby'.  I suppose anything can be done to excess, even ...photography? Scrapbooking?  I know my mom ignored me a fair bit to sew.  But she always finished with a concrete, usually practical product. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#32 of 37 Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

I went computer free for 4 years,.... It did not take me long to get hooked on MDC again. And it is not as happening as it was years ago but I still find myself staring at the computer.

And....

Ignoring my kids.

HELP!

Really. It is an issue here to and one I am trying to work on

You could try having blocks of time that are computer free.  I am going to.  I find it hard to be moderate otherwise because I am constantly going on for a few minutes to check threads, hotmail, etc.  

I am going to experiment with going mornings free.  We shall see how it goes.  I might literally throw a cloth over the computer screen, lol, so it does not beckon me!

edited to add:  I know it is not this simple - but it is an action I can take.

#33 of 37 Old 11-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Oh this is my down time... and um... work down time.  Shhhhh my boss is a scary little many with flailing appendages!   He's likely figure out what I'm doing and steal things from my desk.  I stole his tied/glued/taped down pen from his desk.  He knows it was me... I have shifty eyes!  But I love coming on here even when I shouldn't be.  I work with all men.  YUCK!

#34 of 37 Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm also struggling with this!  I bounce between this & job searching & checking email & this time of year price shopping for Christmas gifts...I just feel so sucked in.  I tell myself in the am that I won't even turn it on then I need it for something and I'm sitting here  in my pajamas realizing that my kids bus will be here soon. I feel like when I'm not on it it is calling my name like when you are reading a really good book that you don't want to put down.  I feel like I need a change fast, but because I have to look for jobs online it is a catch 22! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#35 of 37 Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

I'm also struggling with this!  I bounce between this & job searching & checking email & this time of year price shopping for Christmas gifts...I just feel so sucked in.  I tell myself in the am that I won't even turn it on then I need it for something and I'm sitting here  in my pajamas realizing that my kids bus will be here soon. I feel like when I'm not on it it is calling my name like when you are reading a really good book that you don't want to put down.  I feel like I need a change fast, but because I have to look for jobs online it is a catch 22! 

Yep this is me too. The amount of times I am rushing out the door because I have 'just quickly gone online to check something' a few minutes before we need to leave...creating unneeded stress for my DS...

Emilie, yep I ignore my son too sometimes, he's always clambering on my back 

I blamed it mostly on being a single mother and feeling pretty alone and unsupported - I have friends, sure, but 99 % of the mom friends I know either aren't very 'like minded' - reallly only thing we have in common is had babies at the same time -  so I find meeting up with them more draining than fun b/c I can't fully express myself, or they are just too busy with their own lives and can never meet up... so I think MDC does meet a legitimate need. I also go thru phases of being addicted to FB - weirdly, I can not 'pick up' with FB for a month or two, then suddenly be on it several times a day. It's SO Draining. 
Im going to try the computer free times....prob is I can only play music off my laptop at the moment and I really survive by having music in the background most of the time, so not turning it on at all is not really an option..but I could just not open any browsers... and have a 'no internet unless specifically looking something up like what time the pool is opening' when DS is around. I do NOT want him growing up with an example of a computer screen being more compelling than RL. 
Good luck everyone!!

#36 of 37 Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

Tell me about it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaya View Post

Yep this is me too. The amount of times I am rushing out the door because I have 'just quickly gone online to check something' a few minutes before we need to leave...creating unneeded stress for my DS...

I blamed it mostly on being a single mother and feeling pretty alone and unsupported - I have friends, sure, but 99 % of the mom friends I know either aren't very 'like minded' - reallly only thing we have in common is had babies at the same time -  so I find meeting up with them more draining than fun b/c I can't fully express myself, or they are just too busy with their own lives and can never meet up... so I think MDC does meet a legitimate need. I also go thru phases of being addicted to FB - weirdly, I can not 'pick up' with FB for a month or two, then suddenly be on it several times a day. It's SO Draining. 
Im going to try the computer free times....prob is I can only play music off my laptop at the moment and I really survive by having music in the background most of the time, so not turning it on at all is not really an option..but I could just not open any browsers... and have a 'no internet unless specifically looking something up like what time the pool is opening' when DS is around. I do NOT want him growing up with an example of a computer screen being more compelling than RL. 
Good luck everyone!!

nod.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#37 of 37 Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaya View Post

Good luck everyone!!

Yuck, I feel like I'm doing this sometimes, even though DS is so young.

It's strange that when I'm working, I just think about how much I miss DS and wish I was home with him, and I hate that our family relies so much on my income so I can't be a SAHP right now. Then when I am home, I end up spending time doing unimportant things online. Maybe I need to start implementing some time limits on my computer for myself.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page