my judgement of mainstream parenting, codependency, and my SILs who are doing it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 70 Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
llwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I need to find some peace about how my SILs are raising their babies. 

 

They are doing the opposite of everything I believe in.  Even DH who is more understanding and less passionate about infant care says that his sisters are too "lazy" to do what is best for their babies. 

 

Life is still all about them.  They are un-attatched and want to be apart from their kids.  ILs help them too much because they "need" it.  I believe SIL1 is codependent with them.  SIL2 could handle it on her own if she had too, but the dynamic of ILs offering alot and her taking advantage of it is still there.  I think that adds to the problem of life still being all about them and not their babies.  I feel sad for the SIL/DN relationship, angry at SILs for not doing what I think is right, and kind of misunderstood because our situations, emotions and beliefs are so different. 

 

I can give examples of attitudes and situations if you think it would help to give advice.  I've purposely left it out because it's not the point.  They aren't doing anything illegal.  In fact, their actions are actually the majority.  It doens't affect me beyond seeing and hearing about it. 

 

What I'm really looking for is how I can feel better about this.  Right now I can't respect SILs as mothers.  I don't want to be around them or their babies.  I don't like hearing MIL (who I actually really like and respect) talk about how hard SILs have it when, actually, it seems to me as if they got off incredibly easy. 

 

I grew up if a family that was critical and judgemental.  I don't want to pass this on to my kids.  I don't want to waste my time and energy stewing about something I can't solve.  So how do I change these thought patterns?

 

I think this is a little off-topic, but I'd also like some reassurance that being connected with my kids now doesn't mean they'll be codependent.  I know that's the opposite of what AP is supposed to accomplish.  I guess the biggest similarity that I see is that AP believes children will (sleep all night, potty train, learn to read.....) when they are ready.  It seems like ILs are still thinking SIL will (pay her own bills, take care of her baby...) when she's ready.

llwr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 70 Old 12-12-2011, 11:42 AM
 
McGucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: among the wildflowers
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just have a minute while my child is sleeping, but DH and I had an interesting related talk last night.

 

Our neighbors are the opposite of us in many, many aspects of parenting.  The mom thinks EBF is crazy, that I waited way too long for solids (6.5 months), that babywearing delayed our child's walking (12 months), co-sleeping is why our son doesn't STTN, that our toddler's missing out because we don't have a t.v., and that denying him refined sugar treats is "silly."  Those are the examples that come to mind right off.

 

That said, and in knowing she did the opposite of each of the above items, her two children are absolutely wonderful...kind, smart at whips, sweet, totally unpretentious, and a total joy to be around.

 

My point is this:  she judges how I raise my children.  I don't judge how she raises hers because it just doesn't matter.  My guess is that part of the reason you so object to your SIL's parenting (as I do to my SIL's, by the way) is because you might have some negative personal feelings towards her that are unrelated to her parenting. 

 

I have struggled mightily with my negativity towards my SIL and really worked on where it all comes from.  I commend you for trying to look deeper into where your feelings are coming from, how you can improve your state of mind about it all, and realizing this is a personal growth issue.

 

I can't change my SIL's parenting any more than she can change mine.  We both think we are doing what's right.

 

I will be interested to see what other moms think.  This is a big issue with me, too.

geekgolightly likes this.

 sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

McGucks is offline  
#3 of 70 Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
 
Spring Lily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have a lot of advice for you, but I can understand to an extent. My SIL has a very different parenting style and it can really bother me (haunt me) if I think about it very much. I've had to do a lot of work in the last year or so to learn to let it go.. There was a point this year when I had the realization that anything I said about parenting, even though she was straight out asking my opinion, was brushed off. She ended up being resentful that if she asked my opinion, I actually gave it instead of just supporting all of her own ideas. What a recipe for causing arguments and judgment!

Really, it was about accepting that there is nothing I can do about it. I had to tell myself "there is nothing I can do at this point to help them, let it go." And force myself into doing something or thinking about something else, so I wouldn't be worried about it. This is just what worked for me. I also stopped seeing her as much, and kept my distance. These things really did help me feel less judgmental and more neutral about the whole thing. Now when I hear or see things she does with the kids that I completely disagree with, I can brush it off with "she's just doing things differently than me, I can't do anything about it. Let it go." I hope that you find something that works for you, too.

As for codependency, I am not too worried about that. AP means being attached emotionally. Codependency (in a nutshell) is not learning emotional boundaries. Those are very different. I think AP incorporates the idea of respecting people's boundaries, and teaching children yours and also their own. If you have that and also teach good communication skills to the kids, I think they will be fine. smile.gif
Spring Lily is offline  
#4 of 70 Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 AM
 
Linda on the move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: basking in the sunshine
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

I also grew up in a family that was critical and judgmental, and I've also struggled to break those patterns in my own life.  I find them really ugly attitudes, and yet I fall into them so easily. hide.gif

 

When parenting a baby, it was especially difficult. I think partly because I do believe that raising our children is the most important thing we will ever do. I think also because the hormones of breastfeeding just put our brain in a different place. So my first thought is to cut yourself a little slack, don't see yourself as a "judgmental person" because issues of how to care for an infant really push your buttons right now. As my kids have gotten older (and eventually weaned!) I have less strong feelings about these things.

 

Is there a way for you to spend less time around you SILs, or to steer conversations with your MIL to other topics? I know that can be tough this time of year, but it seems like if you could give less attention to the situation, you might feel better.

 

<<<I'd also like some reassurance that being connected with my kids now doesn't mean they'll be codependent.  I know that's the opposite of what AP is supposed to accomplish.  I guess the biggest similarity that I see is that AP believes children will (sleep all night, potty train, learn to read.....) when they are ready. >>>

 

I don't really see it this way -- I think that being responsive to our kids is the right thing to do, regardless of outcomes. I don't see APing as right because of what it produces. My kids are teens now, and there have been moments when it looked like my parenting had "worked" and times when it looked like my parenting had "failed."  Kids, all kids, go through some rough stuff while they are growing up. Being 12 ain't easy for anybody, no longer how long they BF and co-slept! orngbiggrin.gif

 

My kids needed scaffolding and encouragement to learn things, they needed direct instruction to learn to read. None of this stuff magically happened at our house "when they were ready," though I do think it was all a lot easier by waiting until they were ready to usher them into the next phase. There have been times my kids needed me to believe in them more than they needed me to do things for them. Sometimes, a child needs us to see their strengths, and to stand back while they find that strength. And one can still do that and be an AP, but its part of the kid phase, not the baby phase.

 

I think right now you are in danger of needing your kids to *prove* that your parenting style works, and that just too much pressure for a child. The more you are able to pivot to responding to your kids from your heart, letting go of outcomes, the greater you will be freed from these fears. I think it could also lessen the intense feelings about your inlaws, because it might help you let go of the need to be right, and rather know that you are simply following your heart, and that's it OK for other people to do things differently.

 

Peace

 

transylvania_mom likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Linda on the move is offline  
#5 of 70 Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 AM
 
choli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When our children are babies, these differences in parenting can feel like huge issues. I guarantee that in 10 years, you won't care about how long a baby was nursed, or how much they were held, because you will see that it makes no difference to the big picture.

mamatoablessing and Tamsin like this.
choli is offline  
#6 of 70 Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 AM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I actually stay away from my cousins and their kids because of how different their parenting is.  They spank and are yellers.  My kids are not used to that and it actually upsets them.  I drove to visit family this past weekend and my girls refused to stay the night.  A lot had to do with my Aunt yelling about everything with her grandbabies.  My cousin got on her oldest about something and DD1 stepped in and pleaded for her to stop because she thought her cousins feelings were being hurt.  When in reality he was used to it.  After that both girls were standing by the door with their shoes on ready to go.  I seriously didn't know what to do, they were so uncomfortable that they didn't care about the 3 hour drive they were not staying! 

 

I don't tell my family how to raise their kids.  I raised my kids one way they raised theirs another.  My kids don't like to be around the yelling and in my opinion the disrespect and shaming.  And because of that, I stay away.  And when I'm asked, because I was called 3 times on our way home.  I tell them my kids are not comfortable.  I was told that I let my kids dictate what I do.  Maybe, or maybe I raised them to know treating kids like Shit is uncalled for.  And they did what I wanted to do, so maybe I raised them to have a stronger backbone than I do.  I can tell you that I wanted to leave too, I just didn't know how to go about it.

Imakcerka is offline  
#7 of 70 Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM
 
choli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by llwr View Post

 ILs help them too much because they "need" it.  I believe SIL1 is codependent with them.  SIL2 could handle it on her own if she had too, but the dynamic of ILs offering alot and her taking advantage of it is still there.  I think that adds to the problem of life still being all about them and not their babies.  I feel sad for the SIL/DN relationship, angry at SILs for not doing what I think is right, and kind of misunderstood because our situations, emotions and beliefs are so different. 

Honestly, I think that when the babies are young, parents should accept all the help they can get. Parenting is hard work, and there is no shame in utilizing the help of friends and family - it's better than making a resentful martyr of yourself.

 

Probably your SIL COULD handle it on her own, but there is no reason with loving family willing to help that she SHOULD do it all on her own.

savithny, Mamja, Honey693 and 1 others like this.
choli is offline  
#8 of 70 Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM
 
CatsCradle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

 

My point is this:  she judges how I raise my children.  I don't judge how she raises hers because it just doesn't matter.  My guess is that part of the reason you so object to your SIL's parenting (as I do to my SIL's, by the way) is because you might have some negative personal feelings towards her that are unrelated to her parenting. 

 


I agree with the above.  Also, what would your feelings toward your SIL be if she was actually practicing AP but still getting help (or in your words, co-dependent)?  Erase the parenting part, are there still negative feelings?  

 


"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
CatsCradle is offline  
#9 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 AM
 
Linda on the move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: basking in the sunshine
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

Honestly, I think that when the babies are young, parents should accept all the help they can get. Parenting is hard work, and there is no shame in utilizing the help of friends and family - it's better than making a resentful martyr of yourself.
 

 

 

I don't know the OPer, but I can't help but wonder if the two are closely related. BFing, for example, is the APing ideal, and a new mom practing APing is going to do be doing most of the feedings herself. A non-AP mom can much more easily leave the baby for hours and hours with someone else because any one can give a bottle.

 

So while I agree that new parents can accept all the help they can get, APing limits how much help is possible. If you are BFing on demand, breaks and sleep are just a different deal than if you are bottle feeding on a schedule.

 

A new mom getting help and support so she can care for her baby and care for herself is one thing, a new mom being frequently relieved of parenting responsibilities so she can go on with her life as before feels different, and kinda icky. And when the mom has made parenting choices based on how easily she can escape from her baby rather than what is best for her baby, it's easy to be critical.

 

transylvania_mom likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Linda on the move is offline  
#10 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 AM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Very easy to be critical of that situation.  I have a hard time with my friends that don't bf.  I don't get it.  Is there so much more out there to do that you can't give the best to your baby?  Of course there are circumstances that limit ones ability but there are so many who like the freedom of not doing it and don't.  That's very bothersome to me. 

Imakcerka is offline  
#11 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 AM
 
Lauren31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Suburbia
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As long as they are not harming those kids, there really is nothing wrong with what they are doing. Every woman and family is different and different parenting styles then yours do not make bad parents.


Mommy to one champagne.gif
Lauren31 is offline  
#12 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 AM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)


correct... but it can still get under your skin!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post

As long as they are not harming those kids, there really is nothing wrong with what they are doing. Every woman and family is different and different parenting styles then yours do not make bad parents.



 

Imakcerka is offline  
#13 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM
 
ChristyMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post


 

 

 

I don't know the OPer, but I can't help but wonder if the two are closely related. BFing, for example, is the APing ideal, and a new mom practing APing is going to do be doing most of the feedings herself. A non-AP mom can much more easily leave the baby for hours and hours with someone else because any one can give a bottle.

 

So while I agree that new parents can accept all the help they can get, APing limits how much help is possible. If you are BFing on demand, breaks and sleep are just a different deal than if you are bottle feeding on a schedule.

 

A new mom getting help and support so she can care for her baby and care for herself is one thing, a new mom being frequently relieved of parenting responsibilities so she can go on with her life as before feels different, and kinda icky. And when the mom has made parenting choices based on how easily she can escape from her baby rather than what is best for her baby, it's easy to be critical.

 



Icky?

 

First, I think you and the OP are making a lot of assumptions about why the MIL is helping.  None of us know it is because the SIL's want to pretend nothing has changed and get on with their lives as they were before kids.  Maybe they had more complications recovering from the births.  Maybe there's some PPD.  Maybe their babies are extra needy or colicky.  Maybe MIL just absolutely loves being with her grandchildren.  Who knows.

 

Personally I think the  more people around to love a child and support mom AND baby the better.  Isolating a new mom and having her try to do it all alone is a new thing, and doesn't always work out for the best.


Knowing when to ask for help and being brave enough to admit you can't do it all alone is a commendable act.  Lots of moms are afraid to do that and they, and their babies, suffer for it.

 

OP, why not reach out to your SIL's?  Sounds like you all have babies relatively the same age?  Getting together to share the joys (and frustrations!) of being new parents can be a very good thing.  Instead of withdrawing why not try to get to know them more and support each other?  Surely no one would call that icky.

ChristyMarie is offline  
#14 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 AM
 
jenniferlynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

When our children are babies, these differences in parenting can feel like huge issues. I guarantee that in 10 years, you won't care about how long a baby was nursed, or how much they were held, because you will see that it makes no difference to the big picture.

 

 

 

Absolutely.   As you've acknowledged, what they are doing is not illegal or damaging to their babies, at least not beyond what harm you think will come to children whose parents don't conform perfectly to the AP lifestyle.  You say you come from a judgmental, critical family and you don't want to pass that on to your kids, but don't you see that's exactly what you will do if you continue to be so judgmental about your SIL's?  Who are you to say that they are lazy and un-attached from their children?  How much do you know about their relationships with their babies?  If you can't even stand to be around them because you disapprove so strongly of their parenting styles, then how much do you really know about what's going on in their lives and their households?  Maybe they are truly overwhelmed with motherhood and they NEED that help that your ILs are offering.  And if they do, then who are you to judge them for it?  It truly makes me sad that so many mothers are so quick to judge other moms who make different parenting choices, especially when they may not even fully understand that mother's situation.

 

I know my comments are harsh, but if you truly want to come to peace with your SILs then you need to stop judging them and trust that they are doing what they feel is best for themselves and their own babies.  Period.

jenniferlynne is offline  
#15 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Honey693's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They're not your kids.  Stop worrying about it.  You'd probably be pissed if you found out your SIL was judging you when you were doing what you thought was the best you could.


obstruct livery vehicles

Honey693 is offline  
#16 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM
 
coffeegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: a glaxy far, far away
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll be blunt, (which I think is what you're kinda asking for.) You really need to realize that the things you believe and the things you do aren't automatically the RIGHT things just because they're what YOU think or do. You know? Remind yourself that having that point of view is nothing less than TOTAL EGOISM. You may know what's best for your kids and for you, but there's no way that you know what's best for everyone else. Not everyone is like you.

 

Now, some parents feel that their children developing strong attachments to grandma/extended family/etc. is very, very important to each child's emotional and mental development. Many other entire CULTURES believe in this, strongly. Also, think about this: a crucial but often overlooked (on MDC anyhow) tenant of Attachment Parenting is that the parents should strive to balance the needs of the child with the needs of the parent. A statement which assumes that, yes, parents have needs, too. And if one of those needs is to have a little breathing space on their own? So be it. Some people are like that. I'm like that. My husband isn't. He could be attached at the hip to me and DD all day long in a one-room shack and be happy. I would go insane. We are different people....different temperaments....different needs. 

 

And if these moms are able to meet that need for themselves while ALSO giving their child some quality time with grandma or grandpa? Well that's awesome! Win-win, right?

 


caffix.gif
coffeegirl is offline  
#17 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM
 
Linda on the move's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: basking in the sunshine
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post


Icky?


yes -- icky. I don't know the OP or her exact situation, but when I was BFing, I couldn't stand being around moms that spent little to no time with their babies and acted like their babies were a PITA. To me, it was icky. It still makes me kinda sad for what the mother and baby are missing, but I'm not as sensitive about it, partly because *I'm* in a different phase of life. Sometimes, it's not that more people are around to love the baby, it's that who is giving it a bottle and then leaving it cry keeps switching.

 

(it's not exactly about BFing, for me. I know that BFing doesn't always work out. It's about the attitude, the desire for connection vs the desire for separateness)

 

The OPer didn't go into detail, so I assume that the things that are pushing her buttons are pretty valid. I'm wondering if the responses would be different if she had gone into detail and everyone agreed that the parenting she is witnessing isn't even close to ideal.

 

I don't see the point in beating her up for being critical. She already knows that it isn't helpful to her, what she doesn't know is how to pivot from it.

 

I have family members that I cannot discuss parenting with -- ever. Because we have such completely different priorities and values that there isn't any common ground. There's no point in me having a conversation with some one who believes god commands us to spank, for example.

 

So, I just try to let it go. I remind myself of what I can change and what I can't. I remind myself that even though my parents screwed up everything, I still turned out OK, so some child I see having a less than ideal experience can still turn out how they want to. Everybody is on a path and learning lessons, even the other mommies. I think that most people really are doing the best they can with what they understand right now, but it isn't all equal. And sometimes when we see someone close to us failing to understand certain things that we do, it's hard to notice that difference and feel OK with it.

 

How babies and children are treated matters. When those of us who have nieces and nephews who are treated poorly see it, having peace about it can be quite difficult. And if you don't understand that, then you are fortunate. 

transylvania_mom and Bokonon like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Linda on the move is offline  
#18 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 AM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post

As long as they are not harming those kids, there really is nothing wrong with what they are doing. Every woman and family is different and different parenting styles then yours do not make bad parents.


"Harm" is objective though.  Some parents believe that spanking, circumcision, CIO, etc. are not harmful, but that's obviously not the view of MDC.  Some parents believe that vaccinating is harmful and others believe not vaccinating is.  Even on the same forum.  It's not about bad parenting, but sometimes it is about choices that we feel are harmful.  I've seen moms on MDC say that they can't be friends with someone who circumcised their son.  I really don't believe that any mother is completely non-judgmental, no matter how much they think they are or want to be.

 

Judgment is just part of being human and having opinions.  

 


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#19 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
 
HollyBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: nomans land
Posts: 6,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I see this from another angle- how wonderful is it that OP's nieces and nephews have such a close relationship with their grandparents!  That is truly a gift for those kids.  Having other loving adults in their life will benefit them in so many ways. If I was the OP I would be looking for ways to to encourage the same for her own kids.

 

My parents were both gone by the time my son was eight. I treasure every memory from that time! I wish I could have taken more advantage of mom when she was alive.  My son adored them but was too nervous about leaving him (all that AP guilt can really get you), If I could go back in time and do some things differently this is truly one of them. 

 

 


Pardon me while I puke.gif

HollyBearsMom is offline  
#20 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Honey693's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

 

Judgment is just part of being human and having opinions.  

 



The OP seems to have taken judgement to the extreme though. She doesn't even want to be around her SIL b/c of this.  To me it sounds like the OP is bitter b/c she's not "getting off easy" like her SIL is.  


obstruct livery vehicles

Honey693 is offline  
#21 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
 
savithny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was the first grandchild on either side of my family, born into a network of grandparents, aunts, and uncles.   From the time I was small, my grandparents on both sides, as well as my uncles and their then-girlfriends, would "take me off my mom's hands."

 

Far from this being "icky,"  it was amazing.   I spent my infancy, toddlerhood, preschoolerhood, and young-childhood surrounded by a close group of adults who loved the hell out of me, knew me in more than a "Oh, we come over to coo at the baby now and then" kind of way.   I felt safe, and well-loved, and I had access to all kinds of different experiences and social situations, all from the safety of family arms.  If grandparents and extended family are available, I think it is AWESOME when they are so ready to contribute to childcare so actively. 

 

Honestly, THAT kind of upbringing?  Is probably more natural than this idealized martyrdom where Mom-and-Only-Mom have to deal with all the needs of a completely helpless and dependent baby for 3-5 years -- only to start again when the next baby is born.

 

As for "go on as if life hasn't changed?"   It seems to me that if we look at the idealized "Natural mothers" that AP claims to base its practices on (and I could go on at length about how non-AP many truly-natural mothering practices are) -- women in more "natural" cultures?   Have babies, and then go about their busienss.  Yes, now there is a baby tied to their back and they are breastfeeding it -- but after a short break (often marked by isolation and a very limited diet, by the way) they're generally doing the same food-gathering, household-maintaining, community-participating things they did before. 


savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

savithny is offline  
#22 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
 
McGucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: among the wildflowers
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

The OPer didn't go into detail, so I assume that the things that are pushing her buttons are pretty valid. I'm wondering if the responses would be different if she had gone into detail and everyone agreed that the parenting she is witnessing isn't even close to ideal.

 

I don't see the point in beating her up for being critical. She already knows that it isn't helpful to her, what she doesn't know is how to pivot from it.

 


I agree.  I think that the OP's choice to avoid going into details was good and indicates that she was trying to avoid being petty or overly critical.  It is likely that if she had given examples, people would have responded in a more understanding fashion (perhaps me, too).  If she had just wanted a rallying cry against her SIL to make herself feel better, she could've easily done it.  Instead, she described the feelings she's having around the differences in parenting...and I think we've all been there, right?

 

OP stated:  "ILs help them too much because they "need" it.  I believe SIL1 is codependent with them.  SIL2 could handle it on her own if she had too, but the dynamic of ILs offering alot and her taking advantage of it is still there.  I think that adds to the problem of life still being all about them and not their babies."   End of quote.  Now, just as a point of thought, if she had written something like:  "My ILs babysit three times a week overnight so my SIL can go out and party and get drunk," we'd all be feeling differently, right?  We would not think she was being judgmental of her SIL's parenting then.  We would think that the SIL was, indeed, overly reliant on IL help and not a responsibly, caring parent.  That may or may not be the case.  We just don't know, and that's okay...we don't have to know the details...but let's not assume that SIL is just getting help once a week so she can get coffee or whatever.

 

There is a big difference between lousy parenting and abusive parenting.  I think OP gets that, too.  She's not saying they are abusive.

 

Jennyanydots likes this.

 sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

McGucks is offline  
#23 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM
 
MeepyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,674
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
When my DS was a baby, I put him in group daycare at 10 weeks. My parents took care of him for most of a day nearly every weekend so that I could study. I earned an MBA by the time he was 15 months old, and got my CPA shortly after he turned two. Maybe I could have done it alone, but thank heavens I didn't have to.

When DS was about 2.5, I was hospitalized for pregnancy complications, then sent home on bed rest, and finally delivered DD very prematurely. For about 3 months, I was available to DS on only a limited basis. Fortunately, because I'd been icky and lazy at earlier stages, DS spent that time in the care of familiar people, who loved him and were able to provide continuity and stability for him at this very difficult time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving a child in the care of a loving, willing, capable friend, relative or employee. I don't even really care why you do it. I think OP could maybe stand to reevaluate the basis for her judgment and ask herself why this bothers her so much that she's willing to sacrifice her potential relationships with her nieces and nephews (and her children's relationships with their cousins) over it.
MeepyCat is online now  
#24 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Spring Lily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post



I agree.  I think that the OP's choice to avoid going into details was good and indicates that she was trying to avoid being petty or overly critical.  It is likely that if she had given examples, people would have responded in a more understanding fashion (perhaps me, too).  If she had just wanted a rallying cry against her SIL to make herself feel better, she could've easily done it.  Instead, she described the feelings she's having around the differences in parenting...and I think we've all been there, right?

OP stated:  "ILs help them too much because they "need" it.  I believe SIL1 is codependent with them.  SIL2 could handle it on her own if she had too, but the dynamic of ILs offering alot and her taking advantage of it is still there.  I think that adds to the problem of life still being all about them and not their babies."   End of quote.  Now, just as a point of thought, if she had written something like:  "My ILs babysit three times a week overnight so my SIL can go out and party and get drunk," we'd all be feeling differently, right?  We would not think she was being judgmental of her SIL's parenting then.  We would think that the SIL was, indeed, overly reliant on IL help and not a responsibly, caring parent.  That may or may not be the case.  We just don't know, and that's okay...we don't have to know the details...but let's not assume that SIL is just getting help once a week so she can get coffee or whatever.

There is a big difference between lousy parenting and abusive parenting.  I think OP gets that, too.  She's not saying they are abusive.

yeahthat.gif

That's how I read the OP's post. She wasn't coming her to vent about it, she was coming here to say she's really having trouble with learning how to think about this and handle it differently than she has been. I think posters coming in to tell her to stop worrying about it or stop being judgmental is really unhelpful, because she came here to say that she already wants those things but doesn't know how.

And sure, CIO and spanking are mainstream and not considered abusive, but that doesn't always mean they're not harmful. Especially with some kids who have a harder time with that, and you can see their need for a gentler approach that the parent is unwilling to take. You wouldn't call CPS, but to see your own niece or nephew being emotionally hurt or rejected can be truly heartbreaking. Posters are coming in here making a bunch of assumptions about what's going on, but the OP came here for support in figuring out ways to deal with this, which is valid regardless of the situation with the SILs.
Spring Lily is offline  
#25 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM
 
CatsCradle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post


yeahthat.gif
That's how I read the OP's post. She wasn't coming her to vent about it, she was coming here to say she's really having trouble with learning how to think about this and handle it differently than she has been. I think posters coming in to tell her to stop worrying about it or stop being judgmental is really unhelpful, because she came here to say that she already wants those things but doesn't know how.
 


That's why I asked up thread if OP could pause and identify what is really eating at her:  the parenting practices, or the so-called co-dependency?  I ask this because my thought is that the co-dependency part is probably what is really eating at OP (and the differing parenting practices just probably adds fuel to the fire).

 

I say all this because it is an issue that I have struggled with myself with my own SIL.  I had to deal with (and perhaps am still dealing with) a lot of resentment toward my SIL because she expects my parents to be available for everything.  She even moved to the same freaking state and town in the hope that my parents would assist in her a variety of things from cooking dinners for her family when she was pregnant to assisting with homeschooling (she told my parents this).  I'm normally not a bitter, resentful type, but this was a real problem for me.  Why?  Because often I have felt superior for never, ever burdening my parents during my adult life for anything.  I'm bitter because she gives a song and dance to them all the time about how hard her daily life is and how much she needs help.  I'm bitter because she's a good salesperson in rallying up many people to help her.  I guess I just feel a lot of jealousy more than anything.  Jealousy that DH and I have had to do a lot on our own but SIL has co-opted my parents' time and resources even though I don't think she deserves them.  So I know a little bit about how OP is feeling (not saying that OP is jealous, etc., but in my own case - when I dug deeper - there were tinges of jealously).  Much of my problem revolves around my own issues with not getting patted on the back and being told I'm doing a good job (I admit it - I wish my parents would acknowledge my parenting) and me feeling that SIL is loser on a lot of fronts but still getting constant attention and acknowledgment from my parents.  It has been a real struggle for me to come to terms with these feelings, because I know they are unhealthy and negative.

 

For me, I had to really identify what was really bugging me before I could start to mend my thoughts and attitudes.  

 

CI Mama likes this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
CatsCradle is offline  
#26 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are the fathers of these babies involved? I'm going to go with the assumption that they are not (because it would be pretty sexist of you to be condemning your Sisters-in-law without also condemning the babies' fathers and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you're not a sexist). Since I'm going to assume that they are single parents with uninvolved fathers, I would then assume that they probably need more help than two parents who are co-parenting, right? And even if they weren't single parents, it's still not your business.
eclipse is offline  
#27 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Adaline'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwr View Post

I think this is a little off-topic, but I'd also like some reassurance that being connected with my kids now doesn't mean they'll be codependent.  I know that's the opposite of what AP is supposed to accomplish.  I guess the biggest similarity that I see is that AP believes children will (sleep all night, potty train, learn to read.....) when they are ready.  It seems like ILs are still thinking SIL will (pay her own bills, take care of her baby...) when she's ready.


Before I go on my soapbox Im going to say that I can see how it is upsetting when people just go on with their lives like nothing has changed. I once babysat for someone with a 4 day old baby so that she and her husband could go to a football game. She had me stay overnight so that she could drink and party downstairs with their friends and celebrate her husbands birthday. She taped her boobs and took the pill that keeps your milk from coming in because she was afraid she would get stretch marks if her milk came in and then she didnt breastfeed. Kiddo was at daycare 3 days a week starting at two weeks and she didnt go back to work for the first 6 months. He went to daycare so she could sleep in, go out to eat with friends, go shopping, go to her tanning bed appointment, ect. Her behavior left me wondering why she even chose to have a baby.

Soapbox:

I am really confused and irritated with people assuming that AP means that kids will sleep, potty, and read when they are "ready". I just dont get it. IMO, there is nothing "AP" about that idea, its just an idea about how to raise children that has nothing to do with attachment. Why in the world would kids reading when they are ready have anything to do with attachment? From what I get a lot here, there a lot of kids who dont read "until they are ready" who play lots of video games and do other things that require very little work and quite a lot of ass-sitting. Kids will learn to read when you start teaching them to read. Kids will more than likely start learning to potty in the potty when you start teaching them to go in the potty. They will sleep all night when they are ready, but if you arent encouraging it, why the hell should they? I just dont understand this rampant mentality that AP means that you arent allowed to give your kid that nudge they need to be more independent and do things on their own. i'm not saying its ok to just schedule everything, and try to get them to grow up as fast as possible, but there is a huge part of me that wonders if people subconsciously dont want their kids to potty train, sleep without their help, read, or be able to do things on their own because they just cant stand to watch them grow up and not be the A #1 person/thing in their life anymore and they use the AP label to justify it.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Adaline'sMama is offline  
#28 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM
 
Callimom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Soapbox:
I am really confused and irritated with people assuming that AP means that kids will sleep, potty, and read when they are "ready". I just dont get it. IMO, there is nothing "AP" about that idea, its just an idea about how to raise children that has nothing to do with attachment. Why in the world would kids reading when they are ready have anything to do with attachment? From what I get a lot here, there a lot of kids who dont read "until they are ready" who play lots of video games and do other things that require very little work and quite a lot of ass-sitting. Kids will learn to read when you start teaching them to read. Kids will more than likely start learning to potty in the potty when you start teaching them to go in the potty. They will sleep all night when they are ready, but if you arent encouraging it, why the hell should they? I just dont understand this rampant mentality that AP means that you arent allowed to give your kid that nudge they need to be more independent and do things on their own. i'm not saying its ok to just schedule everything, and try to get them to grow up as fast as possible, but there is a huge part of me that wonders if people subconsciously dont want their kids to potty train, sleep without their help, read, or be able to do things on their own because they just cant stand to watch them grow up and not be the A #1 person/thing in their life anymore and they use the AP label to justify it.



Interesting post on a thread about trying not to be judgemental.

 


Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Callimom is offline  
#29 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
 
SilverFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

honestly, i'm okay with someone being a little judgy, as long as they are honest with themselves about what they are doing. you see someone parenting a way you think is less than ideal, fine, judge away. as long as you don't say anything to them (about non-abusive, legal practices), aren't rude, racist, classist, or sexist when you do bitch, then whatever. this is a pretty big board, there's lots of places to kvetch about other people. and then we'd be free to judge you right back for being so dogmatic.

 

but trying to make it sound like you're "really trying to change"...? that's pretty obviously not true. if you were truly deeply sorry about how awfully you've been judging your family, you wouldn't be breadcrumbing us with tiny details like "codependency" and so forth, you'd just say "hey, i've been having really negative thoughts about my SILs' parenting styles that aren't really any of my business and it's gotten so bad that it's actually affecting our relationships because i can't handle being around them. how do i change?" and that would be it.

 

 

i quoted you, AM, because i don't think this is even close to the situation the OP is talking about. i'd be pretty squicked out by that behavior too, and i would definitely have my judgy pants on, but even the extreme that you're describing isn't abusive or neglectful (provided she's leaving the baby with qualified caregivers). it's sure not how i'd parent, but it's still their decision to do things differently. i'd bet big bucks that there isn't anything close to that going on in the OPs situation. i don't understand what the obsession is with some MDCers trying to make parenting the most painful, unpleasant, exhausting thing any person could possibly experience. are you jealous, OP, that your SILs have been utilizing this great resource and you haven't? cause otherwise i just don't get the level of bitterness being expressed. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post


Before I go on my soapbox Im going to say that I can see how it is upsetting when people just go on with their lives like nothing has changed. I once babysat for someone with a 4 day old baby so that she and her husband could go to a football game. She had me stay overnight so that she could drink and party downstairs with their friends and celebrate her husbands birthday. She taped her boobs and took the pill that keeps your milk from coming in because she was afraid she would get stretch marks if her milk came in and then she didnt breastfeed. Kiddo was at daycare 3 days a week starting at two weeks and she didnt go back to work for the first 6 months. He went to daycare so she could sleep in, go out to eat with friends, go shopping, go to her tanning bed appointment, ect. Her behavior left me wondering why she even chose to have a baby.

 

SilverFish is offline  
#30 of 70 Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Sweetserene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it's wonderful to be acknowledging this judgement, and trying to move past it. It sounds like this judgement is coming between familial relationships that really might be incredibly fulfilling...you all have kids, so wouldn't be great if you all could relate on that level, if not on the actual parenting choices?

 

There's been a lot of sound advice in this thread, and I think that it's always important to consider the perspective and situations of the other people involved. Do you know that your SILs really do have it easy? Emotionally, do they have it easy? There could be so much more here than meets the eye. And is it just their parenting style that you are judging? Or is there more that is upsetting you? What if you confided in your MIL and talked more about how you're personally feeling.

 

This isn't about your SILs changing their parenting style or you ILs becoming less involved with their grandkids. This is about you moving past these feelings. It sounds like you need to get to a place of letting go, and then do just that.

Sweetserene is offline  
Reply

Tags
Personal Growth

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off