Can you remove your IUD at home? YES! You can! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#61 of 167 Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been trying and I can't get a grip at all on my strings!! Ugh!! This is my second IUD and I am miserable. I have gained sooo much weight and I loved my first one but this one is giving me all kids of issues. Seriously how did y'all do it so easily? I have been trying for an hour and can't grip the strings. Grrrrr!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 167 Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 AM

I had mine placed over a year ago i thought everything was fine just really bad cramp.. Until i ran into dis page now i understand how i have gain so much wait why food discuss me and why i never want to have sex.. Went i first put it in it hurt like hell it took over a week for the pain to go away and i thought it was worth it bc i will keep it in for a long time. But my brother just died in a horrible car accident and my family and me need a miracle of live to believe again.. I been try to get a doctor to take it out but have had horrible luck finding a doctor.. So tonight i tries and let me say i dnt know how the fuck you ladies did it you guys are strong.. I had no problem grabbing it but wen i pull i felt the worst pain ever l just could not keep on going... And i stop i want a baby and dnt want to hurt my chances am
Calling planparenthood and asking for and emergency check up i wat dis think out of me.. Note i dnt have kids so maybe dat why it hurt so much but if u can do it at home good luck
#63 of 167 Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 AM

I got mine in about 9 months ago after my son was born. I didn't do any research and now I am wishing I had! I gained so much weight! And the day after my son was born I was in size 1 jeans and weighing 120 pounds. Now nine months later I have gained over 20 pounds and I just couldn't figure out why! I am always bloated and constantly having phantom kicks. Finally I broke down and took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. So I went online and did the research I should have done a long time ago. After all I read I wanted my IUD out NOW but my Dr. was booked for the whole month. I came across this page and wanted to try taking it out myself right away. Took a couple tries because it is slippery in there but after a while I finally pulled it out. Didn't feel a thing. A little crampy but that is to be expected. I made sure to take some pain meds before I tried to ease the cramps. Now hopefully I can get my old body back!

Thanks for all the advise everyone!

#64 of 167 Old 06-08-2013, 06:15 AM

I am not a doctor either but I also wanted to create an account and be a "1-time poster" to share my story.
I chose the paraguard before my husband & I got married, thought I had done ALL my research because I knew we didn't want to use anything with hormones--I've seen how all my friends, cousin, s-i-l have had all kind of issues on the pill, etc. Got it inserted about two months before the wedding. I've had it in almost 2 years now and honestly, thought I could live with the side effects I was experiencing--more cramping pre-period, more days on my period. Not too bad, or so I thought. My husband could never feel it during sex & I checked my strings periodically as they tell you too. I should also add, I have never had kids and I think that made it hurt more when I had it put in. I'm not wimpy by any means, but I had some serious cramping for about 48 hours after insertion and got so nauseated I ran to the bathroom thinking I would throw up--and I NEVER throw up! Sheer force of will kept me from it that time, but let me tell you, it was NOT pleasant.
Flash forward to last week--I finally went to a naturopath to see if she could help me discover why I have not been able to lose weight after over a year on a drastic new diet and exercise program. My docs never had any helpful advice. One even said to me, "Just keep doing what you're doing only better." Um, SERIOUSLY?!? I seriously gained 40lbs since my wedding and I was getting so frustrated as to why it would not come off. Well, I paid out of pocket to see her (since most insurance does not cover naturopathy) and after she learned I had an iud, she was able to put 2 and 2 together. I also have type 1 diabetes, which is an autoimmune condition--she said since my body has strong autoimmune reactions, then I am reacting to this iud in ways other women may not. We're all individuals, right ladies?? But i said that NO ONE had ever mentioned that to me when I discussed the type of bc we would use (gyn or endocrinologist). Its not that hard to understand! That tells me that my docs perhaps do not completely understand how the ENTIRE body works together. Now my thyroid is completely screwed up too & I'm waiting for lab results to see what my naturopath will recommend as the best way to heal my body & get back to my normal weight. Don't get me wrong, I know I'll never be a size 2 but a 12 would be nice!
I wanted to share this because I didn't read any other posts from women with an autoimmune disease. If someone had told me before I got my iud that my body would have such a strong reaction to it bc od my diabetes, I would have saved my $400 and read Taking Charge of Your Fertility so that we could do it naturally. It CAN work!
My husband is a little leery but I'm going to convince him to let me try taking out my iud on my own later tonight or tomorrow. Hope this helps any other ladies out there! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me--keeping in mind, I am NOT A DOCTOR AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING OR TALKING TO YOUR OWN DOCTOR. jessica dot mtthws at gmail.
#65 of 167 Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 PM

So I just took my IUD out, about 30 mins to get both strings but when I got both 5min.
#66 of 167 Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM

I logged in to this forum for one reason only; to respond to this post stipulation: NOT MEDICAL ADVICE: I had my fiancé take my IUD out tonight after reading this article and not being able to do it on my own. So far, no pain it came out very easily, didn't even feel much, used tons of lube and now it's gone minus 100.00 + to have it taken out by a doc. I didn't have the funds and no weight gain but a lot of yeast infections after sex and feeling pain in my ovaries and random spotting at Anytime. I don't know that this will fix all my problems but I am hoping my sex life can at least be normal again. I was also worried because of the pain that the darn thing was going somewhere else and a previous visit to a gyno told me that they may cause more cysts to my ovaries that already were diagnosed with them, I had polysystic ovarian syndrome. So I hope this helps woman out there.
#67 of 167 Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM

I have had my IUD for 3 years. I am so unhappy with it..fatigue, weight gain and the worse thing - I do not have the "freshness" right before my period. My period last for about 2 weeks and I also feel bloated. I read the threads and have been trying to find my strings, but I can't seem to find them. Can some let me know if they are/have experienced it and how did finally find it? Please help - desperate to take out!!!
#68 of 167 Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 PM

Any weight loss since removing iud? I have the mirena n busting my a$$ to lose all the weight I've gained since insertion. Thinkin bout removing myself. Oi
#69 of 167 Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM

So i posted a reply in January... just wanted to update and say that i DID remove my IUD myself and i am now two months pregnant! I just had my first pap since my self-removal of the IUD and everything came back normal. I did tell my OB that i had removed my IUD myself, and his only comment was that they were seeing this more and more. One last thought: I DID have insurance when they put the IUD in, but didn't have insurance when i removed it.... i now have insurance again, but honestly i would still do a self-removal again whether i had insurance or not. Its simple, and painless. And just to reiterate, if you experience any pain at all i would stop the removal and schedule an appointment. Good Luck Ladies!

#70 of 167 Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 AM

Update: I removed mine that night! I cleaned my hands, sat on the toilet, slipped my thumb and index finger into myself, took a hold of the strings and SLOWLY pulled it out. My heart was beating so fast! Once the string was past my opening, I knew I had to keep going. I did and out popped the little critter! I checked it and tossed it in a baggie. I felt two cramps after removal and nothing else. I showered and had a drink! Although it was painless, it was a little overwhelming. I loved the freedom of my Mirena. But all the weight gain was my main reason for removal. I could deal with all the other little side effects, but possibly being the cause of my weight gain and inability to lose weight over the past two plus years is too much.
I'm hoping things work out and I can get my life back. Cause if its not Mirena, then I'm sol!
There was no blood until today, but I have had horrible leg pain since. Don't know if its related or if I worked out my legs a tad too much earlier that same night. Good luck to those who remove on their own! Wish I would have tried to remove it before spending $60 for a planned parenthood visit that refused to remove it! I went there to know how much removal would cost! Doc touches my vagina, refuses to remove it unless I pick another BC method, then Im told visit was $60 bucks. What a waste! Plus I'm still paying for the Mirena insertion years later! I still have $150 to pay off on the insertion--Im on monthly payments. Yea, my insurance covered bout $400 of it and gyno still wanted $600+ from me. They completely screwed me. I swear the medical field is the only field that can give you one price to your face, if you beg, and bill you another! Don't pay-go to collections! Ugh
Wish I could do a lot more stuff at home lol
#71 of 167 Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM

After reading all of the posts on this thread, I decided to try take it out myself. I was VERY nervous, I didn't know if I had the courage to do it!! The string was so short that I had to fiddle a bit to get hold, but once I had it I just pulled steadily and within 3 seconds I was looking at the iud dangling from my fingers. Was in such shock I just looked at it for a bit! Still can't believe I did it!! Have a little bit of blood and cramps, but its negligable. Wow! Thanks to all the women who submitted posts!!!
#72 of 167 Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 PM

Hi I'm wondering if I remove my iud myself can I still get pregnant with out any complications ?? Please I'd like to know instead of having to wait for my midwife to remove it .
#73 of 167 Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 AM

Hi. I looked up iud removal. And I found you all. Thanks for the confidence from reading everyone's iud removal success. I attempted after gaining confidence. Mine was quite difficult to remove because my uterus is tilted. Amazingly hard. But I plunged fwd rt. Hand left hand and finally back to my rt hand. Contemplated giving up cause I could not reach. Finally I did it. My hormones was aggravated immediately. Then settled down after an hour. I was motivated so muvh more to remove it because im 215 and I have been working out eating right and I have not been able ti
#74 of 167 Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 AM

To shake any weight. I walk jog and later hit the gym up. So hopefully now ill have better results. Once before on the depo I was 205. Now I'm 38 and 215. So we'll see if the mirena was the culprid. But I could barely reach my strings and caught a faint grip and was successful. It slid right out. No cervix trauma. Just hormone shift. Hour later no pain or anthing yet. Go for it. Youll be pleased. I am. Thanks a lot.
#75 of 167 Old 07-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Has anyone gotten pregnant after having the iud removed that same month ????
#76 of 167 Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I did. I took out my paragard iud 2 days before ovulation and conceived ds2 thet cycle. It may take longer with hormonal iud

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#77 of 167 Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 AM

I wanted mine removed so my partner and I could start on our planned pregnancy. Saves me a doctor's visit, too.

#78 of 167 Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM

OK so I've been trying for the past wk to get this thing out to no avail...At first i thought i was doing something wrong, then i thought sheesh maybe its imbedded....so i gave up..... But today was the day that i said ok lets try one more time...i agree completely it is VERY SLIPPERY. i caught it a few times but couldn't get it out, it'll slide right from between my fingers. Then i thought traction thats when i brought out the rubber glove (it was clean) i got it from work. put the glove on grabbed the strings tugged for a few seconds next thing i know im holding it in my had.... So many feelings, i was happy shocked, thought what did u just do, all types of things, but im good now. I didnt feel a thing when it came out. i did have slight very very slight cramping right after but they went right away after about 5 mins.

#79 of 167 Old 07-21-2013, 01:15 PM

if u havent already got it out...use a RUBBER GLOVE......it works wonders

#80 of 167 Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 PM

I keep trying to find the string but i cant. Idk what im doing wrong. I really want it out me and my husband really want a baby. Im tired of this iud and im getting frustrated
#81 of 167 Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Try sitting on the toilet by leaning forward as far as possible and sitting as far back on the seat as possible so that your vagina is as close to the back of the seat as possible. While leaning over as far as you can while also being able to get your hand in, try to find the string. The string is actually two strings woven together, and yours may have separated into two strings, both still attached to the IUD. Don't be afraid to dig around your cervix. It likely has several crevices where the string could be hiding. You may also try pushing as if you are giving birth to push your cervix down further toward the opening of your vagina. I hope that helps!
#82 of 167 Old 07-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Okay i will try. Thank u.
#83 of 167 Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 AM

So after reading this post I went to the bathroom and try it. Omg, all I did was find the string and pull it out. Took me a couple of second only and it didn't even hurt. Thanks everyone this post was really helpful.
#84 of 167 Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM

Quick question I'm thinking about removing my Mirena IUD myself but worried about the bleeding how much will I bleed after I remove it and for how long another question how long after getting the Mirena out do I have to wait before I'll get pregnant
#85 of 167 Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaci View Post

So after reading this post I went to the bathroom and try it. Omg, all I did was find the string and pull it out. Took me a couple of second only and it didn't even hurt. Thanks everyone this post was really helpful.
#86 of 167 Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ive never had bleeding. Not sure about how long to get pg after merina though

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#87 of 167 Old 07-31-2013, 07:23 PM

I did it..then I got pregnant straight away after I removed it but the I had a miscarried when I was 3months pregnant nw m trying ma best to get pregnant again..ani advise plz..

#88 of 167 Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl naidu View Post

I did it..then I got pregnant straight away after I removed it but the I had a miscarried when I was 3months pregnant nw m trying ma best to get pregnant again..ani advise plz..
...omg I did it..I did it yesterday and I feel like a million bucks the yesterday when I did it I thought kind of crappy but today I feel amazing I'm so happy I took it out myself and didn't have to pay for anything
#89 of 167 Old 08-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Hey, Thank you all for your contributions to this thread, I have been feeling so unwell the past 7 months and blood test after blood test no one could offer me any explanation other than stress, I tried not to associate my symptoms with the coil, but I think that is what has been the problem. After finding this thread I popped it out myself, it took a few seconds and didnt hurt. I am so glad I have done it and now cant wait to get back to feeling like me again, I feel a bit better already  but not sure if that is relief knowing its out or a genuine improvement. Time will tell! But just wanted to say thank you. I dont know why doctors are reluctant to remove it! In the UK we dont pay, contraceptives are free but after being talked out of it 3 times, I didnt want to have the conversation and discussion again - Its MY  BODYY!!! and it feels good to be back in the drivers seat! - All the best ladies.

#90 of 167 Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 PM

I DID IT!! If I can anyone can! I have had my mirena in since 2010 and I am convinced it has caused depression that I am currently taking meds for and prior to having in the mirena my cycle lasted 2.5 days and was very light. After the mirena my cycles lasted 5 days minimum and became increasingly heavy to the point where today I bled through my jeans at work with an overnight pad on ( SO EMBARASSING). Thankfully I was able to cover up and run to target and by new undergarments and jeans without anyone seeing. I am convinced this thing has aggravated my fibroid to the point that my menstrial cycle gets so heavy. I have had thyroid issues also. I just want to live a clean and healthy lifestyle and hopefully things will change for me since I have self removed the mirena. I had a difficult time locating the string... First I tried laying on he floor, couldn't feel the string. Then I squatted in the shower couldn't feel the string. Came back read some more threads. Someone said they sat on the toilet so I tried that put in middle finger and then my thumb pinched the string to my middle finger to be sure I had a good grip and slowly pulled it out. No pain at all. Being on my cycle may have helped, but I was so desperate and determined I just want Body free of any foreign objects that could possibly be causing problems for me. FYI... I am 42 and have 3 children.
Closed Thread

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List