What is one, most imp. life skill you would recommend? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hi,

I feel like I am lacking in various life skills. I could write a page here about the things I find missing in myself but instead I want to hear from you about a life skill that is most important to you. Just one please. If I limit it to one I know it will be the one that you think is one that is an absolute must have.

TIA.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 22 Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm not sure what you are looking for here but reading to me is the most important. Because I can read, I can research a topic, read up on topic and teach myself new things all the time.

other stuff that's important I think..

simple mending
basic car care
first aid and CPR
basic cooking
#3 of 22 Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hi philomom,

Things like social skills, how to take care of a child or cooking. I can cook. But, most of the time I don't have the patience to cut, chop, clean and I can do a sloppy job or I can do a good job. Where social skills are concerned, I lack in various areas. I sometimes speak out of turn or I have put my foot in my mouth, not recently though. Another thing I don't know how to do is to maintain good, healthy relations with colleagues. I feel like I don't know many things.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#4 of 22 Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)

I think a foundational life skill is the ability to see the good in situations and people, even ourselves.

Your posts right now are very negative about yourself, and while it is wonderful to be able to be honest about our weaknesses and have a desire to grow and learn, the ability to appreciate and value our strengths is equally important. You are curious and motivated.

(I think this is similar to the trait that lets us see the beauty all around us -- to notice the sky, or pick up on when one person is practicing a random act of kindness for another -- and this ability is tied to a person overall level of happiness in life)

I've no doubt that there practical skills that you would like to develop, but I would argue that unless and until you develop the ability to celebrate where you are right now, you will never be happy with yourself, because no matter how much you learn, you will always see other things that you could learn, things that you could get better at.

The place where we can be happy with ourselves as we are, while we enjoy learning and growing, is, IMHO, true emotional health.

the reason to learn and grow isn't so that we can be OK as humans, but just because it is fun, it's lovely.

Peace

BabyMae09 and tropicana like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think the ability to emotionally bounce back quickly from setbacks a very important life skill. 

CI Mama likes this.
#6 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

I think a foundational life skill is the ability to see the good in situations and people, even ourselves.

Your posts right now are very negative about yourself, and while it is wonderful to be able to be honest about our weaknesses and have a desire to grow and learn, the ability to appreciate and value our strengths is equally important. You are curious and motivated.

(I think this is similar to the trait that lets us see the beauty all around us -- to notice the sky, or pick up on when one person is practicing a random act of kindness for another -- and this ability is tied to a person overall level of happiness in life)

I've no doubt that there practical skills that you would like to develop, but I would argue that unless and until you develop the ability to celebrate where you are right now, you will never be happy with yourself, because no matter how much you learn, you will always see other things that you could learn, things that you could get better at.

The place where we can be happy with ourselves as we are, while we enjoy learning and growing, is, IMHO, true emotional health.

the reason to learn and grow isn't so that we can be OK as humans, but just because it is fun, it's lovely.

Peace

Thanks. Makes sense. But, I notice my family finds faults with me. My brother chides me for not letting him speak or finish what he's saying and to try and make efforts to say things in a better way. I am criticized for being too direct. DH will express his unhappiness at how I am dealing with dd. Things like that. I do appreciate many things about myself and I have fought for how I am. But, really, being positive needs to be balanced with a reality check.

#7 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaye View Post

I think the ability to emotionally bounce back quickly from setbacks a very important life skill. 

Thanks.

#8 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

My brother chides me for not letting him speak or finish what he's saying and to try and make efforts to say things in a better way. I am criticized for being too direct.

I needed to work on conversation skills as an adult, too. I found this book very helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Nonviolent-Communication-A-Language-Life/dp/1892005034/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338927911&sr=8-1

It teaches how to respond to what someone else is saying in such a way that they feel truly heard and understood.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#9 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaye View Post

This is similar to what I was thinking...resilience. Being able to bounce back from experiences (good or bad) and re-focus on what's important. Having resources (relationships, skills, support, etc.) that can help you through setbacks.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#10 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

I needed to work on conversation skills as an adult, too. I found this book very helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Nonviolent-Communication-A-Language-Life/dp/1892005034/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338927911&sr=8-1

It teaches how to respond to what someone else is saying in such a way that they feel truly heard and understood.

Thanks, will take a look.

#11 of 22 Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was going to say conversational skills.  It seems like something so few people have.  And the ones who do really shine.  Learning how to be a good listener, knowing what controversial topics to avoid in casual conversations (verses thing you would talk about with intimate friends), knowing when to stop going on about yourself, how to introduce yourself in a non awkward way.

Manners.  They are so much more important than people think.

I think good grammar is an important life skill.

Job interview skills.

Knowing how to dress appropriately for different occasions. I know it sounds silly but this is a skill I lack.  

Knowing how to be content.  I think a lot of people suffer from a lack of contentment.

Neera likes this.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 22 Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM

empathy.

you can have empathy for others, and you should also have it for yourself.

i haven't looked at your old posts, but if you are letting others' perceptions of you color your feelings for yourself, you might want to reevaluate THEIR manners. it is not really your brother's place to tell you how to "rephrase" your comments. yes, people interrupt from time to time. maybe you do need to work on that. maybe those who criticize you aren't exactly perfect either.

by all means, continue to work on yourself. make lists. journal. write down the things you'd like to improve. there is POWER in doing this for yourself. then, set to work on self improvement.

life is one huge long opportunity for self improvement.

for ALL of us. everyone.

you may find that by the time some years pass, the things that troubled you now, are no longer issues.

how old are you, by the way, if i may ask?

i went through a lot of feelings like you have, back when i was in my 20s. now that i've come through some tough times in my life. i've emerged a stronger person. i'm in my early -to -mid 40s now, and i don't worry so much what other people think anymore...

#13 of 22 Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I think the ability to know what's right for you and set necessary boundaries is an essential life skills. Jennifer Louden (who is a life coach) has a question in one of her books that might be helpful to you: "Am I doing something for someone else that I need to be doing for myself?"

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#14 of 22 Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

i haven't looked at your old posts, but if you are letting others' perceptions of you color your feelings for yourself, you might want to reevaluate THEIR manners. it is not really your brother's place to tell you how to "rephrase" your comments. yes, people interrupt from time to time. maybe you do need to work on that. maybe those who criticize you aren't exactly perfect either.

Well, sometimes he does that out of frustration. He might say something like, "You don't let me finish what I am saying," but at other times he is more civil. I know that it is an attempt to change who I am. It used to upset me. But now I think I can't control what they say. I also think since he is family maybe they are allowing me to learn something that my friends or acquaintacnes aren't going to tell me. I take it as an opportunity to improve myself without letting it bother me. Btw, Dh has felt the same way too - about me being a bad listener - but I haven't heard him say that recently.

I love your idea of making a journal of sel-improvement ideas.

And I think it is not so much an age thing. I am not a good receiver of positive criticism.

Thanks.

#15 of 22 Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to add to my original question and would like to hear about work skills or any books or links pointing me in that direction. I know I don't have interview skills but am better than I used to be years ago. 

Thanks.

#16 of 22 Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

I'd like to add to my original question and would like to hear about work skills or any books or links pointing me in that direction. I know I don't have interview skills but am better than I used to be years ago. 

Thanks.

These books are more on life skills rather than work skills, but I think you might like them:

--Comfort Secrets for Busy Women: Finding Your Way When Your Life Is Overflowing (http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Secrets-Busy-Women-Overflowing/dp/1402201265/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340040247&sr=8-1&keywords=Comfort+Secrets+for+Busy+Women%3A+Finding+Your+Way+When+Your+Life+Is+Overflowing or http://jenniferlouden.com/shop_books/)

--The Life Organizer Book and Companion CD (http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Organizer-Womans-Mindful/dp/1577315545/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340040479&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Life+Organizer+jennifer+louden or http://jenniferlouden.com/shop_books/)

--The Places That Scare You (http://www.amazon.com/The-Places-That-Scare-You/dp/1590304497/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wey&tag=zenamoon)

--The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life (http://www.amazon.com/The-Exquisite-Risk-Daring-Authentic/dp/0307335844/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wey&tag=zenamoon)

I'll try to think of some books on work skills.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#17 of 22 Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Happy Mommy.

#18 of 22 Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
For me, self reliance. Knowing that I can live alone, function on my own and without help from anyone else. Having structure to be able to parent on my own if I have to. I have a wonderful husband, and wouldn't want to live without him - but knowing that I can if I absolutely had to is a huge deal for me.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#19 of 22 Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

For me, self reliance. Knowing that I can live alone, function on my own and without help from anyone else. Having structure to be able to parent on my own if I have to. I have a wonderful husband, and wouldn't want to live without him - but knowing that I can if I absolutely had to is a huge deal for me.

Yes. This. I have been working on this.  I struggle with the fear of being alone.  I am especially terrified of being alone in old age. 

Neera likes this.
#20 of 22 Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 AM

Here are a few skills which i think one should possess:

1. Self-Management

2. Decision Making

3. Proper utilization of time.

4. Critical Thinking

5. Patience.

#21 of 22 Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Persistence is the most important life skill I have. Even when things are hard and sucky I keep trying. I figure that everyone who is good at something had to suck at some point and it's ok that I am a beginner. I cook very slowly because I wasn't taught. I'm faster now than I was five years ago but it is still hard.

I am very blunt and direct. I have often noticed that men will tell me to be quiet or don't interrupt when there are ten guys in the room doing the same thing as me. I ignore them and say what I want.
Neera likes this.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#22 of 22 Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Trusting your gut instincts.  

Neera likes this.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Tags
Personal Growth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page