Moving to the City - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess I'm looking for someone to pass this by on.  I don't want to bring it up to my family as we don't know what we are doing and don't want this getting around yet.

My 2 kids & husband and I currently live with my Dad in a 4 BR house, with fenced in yard, 1 car garge, 2 full bats etc.  We moved here after losing our 1 BR  townhouse in a short sale.  My Dad is letting us live here rent free to get back on our feet, for one year.  After that we re-negotiate our terms (probably start paying him rent, etc).  We have been living here 6 mths and have all our bills paid off and all our debt paid off except for our car which will be paid off next year and my school loans.  We plan on staying at least another 6 mths to now start saving money.

I now have my heart set on moving from this large house in the suburbs to an apartment in downtown Chicago (within the next 6 mths).  I just started a new PT job which would be about a one hour commute if we move.  Am I crazy? 

I know we do NOT want to buy another house right away.  We don't want to get stuck again.  Our option is to either find a house to rent in the suburbs and me continue to work.  Or rent an apt in the city and I stop working (because I don't want that 1 hr commute time).  If we move to the city we will also get rid of my car - which will get rid of a car payment, insurance, gas, and upkeep.  My kids are young, we'll have close to no bills, and we'll have money saved up.  I feel like I have the whole world open to me when we decide to move and I just don't want to get stuck again somewhere.  Does anyone know what I mean?

I was wondering too is there  "city living" forum on this website or somewhere else I should post this?

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Of course you're not crazy, it sounds like where your heart is.  Are you just asking for some validation or are you asking for tips?  I'm a little confused about what you need to feel at ease :)

#3 of 3 Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM

I understand what you mean, originally I wanted the more traditional life style, suburban I mean, with a big house and a big yard. I don't want that anymore, it seems frivolous and a waste of time right now. My partner and I moved to a small apartment with our 6 year old daughter. It's but money saving. We are paying off our debts and finishing up school, we are also thinking of having another baby and getting married soon. Eventually we would like to buy in San Francisco. Most people think we are nuts, but we just know what we want :) Even if we don't live in the City we want to buy something we want where we want whether that's San Francisco or some place else. If you know what you want go after it, don't feel pressured so much about what society standards of success are :) Follow your heart!

Michelle

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive. " - C.S Lewis

Tags
Personal Growth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page