Living in a dead-end town. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

This might not make sense, but I'm just going to start writing.  I live in a small town, and I don't have any real friends. 

Here is the drama:  My XH is a psychopathic 'pillar of the community'.  A self-styled Christian teacher who is really just a morally bankrupt narcissist.  He is kind of a con-artist; I watched him rip people off when we were married.  He is DEEPLY screwed up, and is still waging war on me, years after the divorce.  Back when we had just split up, it was really ugly and scary.  He borrowed a handgun, was stalking me, having other people stalk me.  He verbally attacked me at our son's school and made a huge scene, leaving me weeping and terrified.  Basically anything you can think of or heard of about an abusive relationship, I have lived through.  I went to the police about the gun, and they wouldn't do anything because XH is 'such a respectable man'!  The POLICE gave me dirty looks.  I lived in mortal fear for months until I had a friend disarm him. 

It's been a few years and I have to get on with my life.  I am the outcast in this community because it's a small town and a lot of people are friends with my XH.  He tells everyone I just made all this stuff up and I'm manipulative.  People believe him.  I try to make friends, but when they find out a little about what happened, they dump me, and stay friends with XH.  I just had someone basically tell me she would be friends with me as long as I never talk about what happened.  I can't do that.  I need to talk.  People are so weak.  The most dangerous people are those who bury their head in the sand.

We have equal custody of the kids.  I would love to move to the city, but I think it would be hard to convince a judge to grant me more custody so the kids could go to school by me.  I could never just leave them here, obviously.  XH just filed papers to try to get more custody for himself, just to punish me.  The judge is refusing to even hear his case. 

And just for the record, I am awesome, and do not in any way deserve the crap that's been doled out to me.  I have never once used illegal drugs, have no criminal record.  I am a straight A college student, financially independent (I work for my own money), and have a secure loving AP relationship with my kids. 

But I am so changed.  I have PTSD from being in fear for my life for so long.  My trust is shattered.  But I've also become very cocky, arrogant and mouthy.  I have to always be the alpha.  It's extreme.  All my emotions are intense.  I built a very deep friendship with a war veteran and it was wonderful, but he is mad at me and won't talk to me anymore because he thinks I should be on meds and I refuse.  I like the new me.  I am awesome! 

I want friends who are just as strong as I am. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#2 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

I am so sorry hug2.gif You sound like a wonderful person and you deserve a new start. Perhaps you could discuss it with a lawyer and see what the chances are that you might get an adjusted custody arrangement? 

#3 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

That's my long-term plan. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif

Tags
Personal Growth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page