Learning to let go of my dream of a supportive family. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I are rock solid and I'm so grateful for that.  We've been together for 12 years and have 2 home schooled boys, both of whom with some specific learning differences.  

My father has always bullied me and at the beginning of the summer I'd had enough and cried when he started on me.  He was telling me I was disgusting for breast feeding among other things.  Basically trying to make me feel bad.  It's the first time in 40 years that I've shown any emotion about this and it took him by surprise.  I think my emotion made him realise what he'd done over the years and he felt bad.  So bad that he lost his temper and frightened me and my children.  I had to hide them behind me and I was begging him to stop and leave us alone - that he was scaring me and my children.  Eventually he told me that I was dead to him and I stood up to him, at last, and thanked him.  I said that would be great.  Goodbye.

And so he left and I'm free.

But my family seem to have taken his 'side' and are cutting us out too.  No-one wants to talk about what happened.  My son tried and my mother physically turned her back on him.  We've always been the outcasts of the family.  They would go on holiday together, have birthday parties without inviting us - a 60th birthday party weekend away for my father that we weren't invited to, we'd turn up at my parents' house and there would be stuff all over for the other grandchildren but we would only go there when i asked if we could - we were never invited etc etc etc.

So although it's a relief that they're cutting us out, it hurts too.  I'm hoping my sister in law will stay in touch but I've not heard back for a while.  I hoped my mum would listen to me but she won't.  

I'd like to move on without feeling so lost and hurt.

Does anyone have a similar experience?  My husband's parents are truly wonderful and so I can hardly complain that I have no family, as I have them, but all the links to my childhood seem to have gone but they're just out of reach.  It's very confusing and hurtful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

I haven't had a similar experience but wanted to give you a cyber hug and say how nice it must be to at least have your own family and the support of your inlaws. hug2.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Tags
Personal Growth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page