2013 New Year's Resolution thread - keeping each other on track! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

OK, so this is where we nag each other and document our progress. :)

Here's my list so far:

-Buy or make one Christmas present every month

January - ordered a glass apothecary jar for my little sister

February - made batch of vanilla extract

March - made another batch of vanilla extract

April - ordered geeky T-shirt online for a friend; bought little craft gift for my mother; bought owl-shaped baking tins for MIL

May - bought cookie cutters for a friend

June - bought Frances books (Russell Hoban) for DD

July - cufflinks for DH

August - bought River Song journal for sister

September - nope

October - bought marketing book for DH and 'Parables of a Country Parson' for a friend; bought art print for my sister; bought the complete set of Laura Ingalls books for DD.

November - bought Bill Bryson book for Mum, Where's Waldo? for DD, two travel games for DD

-Sew/craft one non-Christmas gift every month - for birthdays, weddings, baby showers etc

January - made a baby pinafore for a friend's baby shower; also a fancy apron for a friend's wedding

February - nope

March - DD's Cinderella dress with headband and choker

April - nope

May - nope

June - baby pinafore/apron for a friend's newborn

July - nope

August - made swaddle for friend's baby

September - nope

-Pitch one article every month

January - sent three ideas to my regular editor for future issues.

February - sent one idea to my regular editor for future issues. Pitched another article to a lifestyle/issues magazine.

March - nope

April - sent two ideas to my regular editor

May - nope

June - sent one idea to an eco-magazine (accepted!)

-Do one thing every month to make our house or garden substantially nicer

January - bought marigolds for veggie beds, some perennials etc.

February - lined veggie beds with bricks.

March - nope

April - nope

May - nope

June - set up decent compost system, pruned trees around garage

-Start eating dinner by 7:30 every night

Getting there...

-Aim for a food budget of $150/week, with cash

Week 1: $152

Week 2: $150.30

Week 3: $149.63

Week 4: $159.96

Week 5: $153.03

Week 6: $201.51 (ulp - DH was sick)

Week 7: $170.00

Week 8: $155.98

Week 9 $163.75

Week 10: $161.85

Week 11: Utter carnage

Week 12: $168.27

Week 13: $223.93 (including bulk items)

Week 14: $236.89

Week 15: Holidays

Week 16: Holidays

Week 17 (so far): $139.69

Week 18: $259.16

Week 19: $263.97

Week 20: $212.38

Week 21: $34.19

Week 30: $132.60

-Sew myself at least 6 garments

1: Polka-dotted vaguely-50s-style sailor dress with a circle skirt and button-up bodice

2. Pyjamas - harem pants and a nursing-friendly top

3. Short-sleeved creamy-beige blouse

4. Long-sleeved shiny blue bouse

5. 50s-style blue coat dress with sash

6. Anne of Green Gables-ish woolen checked waistcoat

-Prepare for pregnancy

Got antenatal bloods done.

-Dedicate one day a week (Wednesday, by default) to doing nice things for DH

Week 1: N/A, hadn't made the resolution yet

Week 2: Yep

Week 3: Yep

Week 4: Yep

Week 5: Um, forgot. :p

Week 6: Yep

Week 7: Yep

Week 8: Yep

Week 9: Yep

Week 10: Yep

Week 11: Yep

Week 12: Yep

Week 13: Forgot

Week 14: Yep

Week 15: Yep

Week 16: Forgot

Week 17:

Week 30: Yes

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Well I have three things-

Eat better- Put more VEG in my diet/ meal plan

Grow my hair for (lock of love/ or the other place you told me about)

Kinder to my son- (need help with getting him to act better)

Smokering- Thanks. I think that it will help me to restate my goals.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing because after we move, I'm going to post my goals for the year.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I had to go back and check what my goals were before posting to this thread - not sure that that bodes well for success.

Anyway, here is my progress:

1. Weight loss - I weighed myself yesterday and am down 600g to 70.8kg. Yay!

2. Eating at the table - we've eaten all our dinners there and some lunches. Some lunches we've had at the kitchen bench which I'm ok with. Not as much success with breakfast. DH is concerned about waking me as the dining room is just outside our bedroom.

3. Friday shopping - didn't get my veggies for the week at the markets but did get some fruit and did do a grocery shop. Had to go to the supermarket today for some perishables. So, this one is a work in progress. I'm hoping my trolley will arrive this week.

4. Veggie garden - haven't started. Too hot and baby to small.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Wonderful to be here! (or oh no, what am I thinking).

I'm trying to keep it small and reasonable this year, since I have a tendency to think big and get disappointed (like last year when I had also wanted to do all this painting and getting different furniture, etc. and there was, really, no way it would have been happening to the extent I was hoping).

::2013 goals:: and where they're at right now

Make the various curtains I've wanted to get around to and hang/rehang/frame more things for the walls in the house.

In total, this is curtains for 3 rooms at least (7 windows) and at least 3 rooms that need 2-3 things up on the wall (mostly stuff I've lazily set aside and need to get in the frames, or cut mats for, or something . . . so it's mostly in progress).

Paint the bathroom, then replace stuff that's gross in there.

I have a GC for the paint, already have a new shower curtain that will work, would need just a few other things (not pricey - probably $50 total for new shelves/misc. that needs replacing).

Exercise on some kind of weekly basis (ideally 2-3x -- aiming to lose the 5-10 lb that keep my clothes from fitting better at least).

Haven't done anything this week yet.  I did do a good (but short) thing over the weekend.  Won't happen today, though, Tuesdays are going to be too busy.  Might stretch or something.

I'll stick with those goals, and might add something about making stuff or cooking later, but meh - this should be enough for now.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Be kinder to my son- I know this sound weird but my son is a HARD kid....Well I standing my ground and he is acting OK. He is getting better.

Eating Vegs (I will go VEG by the end of the year) I had 1/2 cup of mixed Vegs with breakfast eat.gif 1 cup with lunch just now. Planning on dinner pasta and vegs.

Growing my hair... Well I may need to get it trimmed

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

- eating no meat every other day => it's working so far (am meat-less on "odd " days)

- pick any 3 exercise from my gym book (i've got the mat, the ankle weights, the hand weights ...etc ....) per day => hasn't happened yet !!!

- not eating my kids leftovers => mixed succes here

- spend less time at the computer .... => not quite ...have replaced some of that time with sitting at my way too big jigsaw puzzle, very good for shutting my mind from nagging worries .... but desastrous on sleep and "to do" list !

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

::2013 goals:: and where they're at right now 

Make the various curtains I've wanted to get around to and hang/rehang/frame more things for the walls in the house.

Have gotten things cleaned up in general around the house, and put holiday things away.  Slow/low progress here.  

Paint the bathroom, then replace stuff that's gross in there.

Nothing yet.

Exercise on some kind of weekly basis (ideally 2-3x -- aiming to lose the 5-10 lb that keep my clothes from fitting better at least).

Have been okay doing stretching most days, and a few walks to school (need to get more intense yoga in a few more times or other workout videos, haven't done comprehensive 20-30 minutes of stuff all at once like I'd prefer - have been terribly stiff lately so I could use more, I can tell).  I did (on a related note) started food journaling again a bit, which helps not get way out of control with the other part of the problem.  Of course I also made chocolate cake which didn't help either.  eyesroll.gif  

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just realised it looks like I've abandoned this thread. I haven't, I'm just editing my original post. :p

I'm doing OK. Dinner by 7:30 is a work in progress at best... and we haven't exactly come in under budget for groceries yet, though I hope we'll make it this week. I completely forgot today that this is my be-nice-to-DH day, so I'm postponing that until Friday, when my article's done and I have energy to spare for niceness. :p I did buy him some chocolate today, though...

I'm not sure what my "make the house significantly nicer" thing will be this month. Maybe the curtain for our bedroom, although how nice that's going to look remains to be seen... I'd like to make a duvet cover for our manky coverless duvet, which would instantly make our bedroom look a thousand per cent classier... but I can't afford to buy any fabric right now and I don't have anything suitable in my stash.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 AM

I forgot to update on Monday like I'd planned to.

Weight loss - I actually *gained* 100g which isn't terribly promising. However, as I also ate chocolate and/or ice cream everyday it's rather a miracle I didn't gain more. Hooray for tandem feeding. Have tried to be slightly more circumspect this week.

Eating at the table - I'm happy with this. We're doing well.

Friday shopping - didn't manage it last week but my new trolley arrived today so we are all set for this week.

Garden - on hold til April-ish I should think.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM

I have been doing well. I am adding VEGs to all my meals. I even lost some weight thumb.gif

Hard road with my son. We went to the dentist yesterday and he is just so hard to deal with at times. But I'm standing my ground. Letting him cry and not letting him get away with "being bad" Anyway I'm standing my ground!

Smokering- Can ask you what books you are reading? I remember saying you read christian books. I need a new book.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Naszmum: Well, at the moment I'm reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, which is smashing, but not particularly Christian. After that I'm going to read Unbroken, a non-fiction book by Laura Hillenbrand about a US soldier in WW2 who drifted on a life raft for thousands of miles, was tortured by the Japanese and eventually became a Christian. I don't know much more about the book than that, except it won some kind of award; I bought it for Dad for Christmas, and he said it was very good and lent it back to me. :p

Hmm, what else? Timothy Keller's book on marriage is brilliant. Really brilliant. I thought it'd be the same-old same-old, but it was really eye-opening. The Meaning of Marriage, it's called. 

Other than that I'm not sure I have much to recommend! I read John Piper's Bloodlines: Race, Cross and the Christian recently, but it struck me as kind of obvious. Have you read CS Lewis? He's a perennial favourite. The space trilogy is brilliant, and lesser-known than his other stuff - Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength. They're much more fantasy/allegory than hard sci-fi. I also love The Great Divorce, The Screwtape Letters, A Grief Observed (if you don't mind crying for a week!), Till We Have Faces... basically, anything he wrote. 

Or the Father Brown mysteries by GK Chesterton are pretty awesome. Detective stories solved by a priest. I disagree with his theology at times (Lewis' too), but like Lewis he's very savvy about the human condition, and very good at poking fun of absurdities and hypocrisies. And the stories are fun, and not too scary/gory - Sherlock Holmes level, more or less.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 AM

Smokering- Thanks

Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 AM

Doing well and almost finished with JAN...need to going shopping for more vegs. Other then that doing well.

Smokering- If you are looking for interesting christian reading www.lovinggrace.org Wayne Monbleau have books about our priesthood. I don't see anyone else writting or talking about that.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM

Keep forgetting to update.

I have lost a kilogram. Not brilliant for a whole month ( ideally I'd like to be losing a kilo a week) but at least it's a loss.

Have been doing Friday shopping. It's going pretty well although I forgot my list yesterday and had to do it from memory eyesroll.gif
I need to meal plan and shop accordingly though. I did just find a blog which has printable charts showing what fruit and veggies are in season each month though which I'm a bit excited about.

I'd also like to start experimenting a bit more and buying one fruit or veggie each week which we haven't tried before or don't normally buy. I'm including don't normally buy as we've probably tried most things which are sold at the markets at least once.

How is everyone else going?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Keep forgetting to update.

I have lost a kilogram. Not brilliant for a whole month ( ideally I'd like to be losing a kilo a week) but at least it's a loss.

Have been doing Friday shopping. It's going pretty well although I forgot my list yesterday and had to do it from memory eyesroll.gif
I need to meal plan and shop accordingly though. I did just find a blog which has printable charts showing what fruit and veggies are in season each month though which I'm a bit excited about.

I'd also like to start experimenting a bit more and buying one fruit or veggie each week which we haven't tried before or don't normally buy. I'm including don't normally buy as we've probably tried most things which are sold at the markets at least once.

biggrinbounce.gif for a kilogram. Keep it up!!!

I'm. ..Do well. I'm Eating much much better and lost 4 poundsjoy.gif 

Things are going OK with my son.

And FEB is my B-day month. I'm celebrating all month. LOL

Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

How's everyone doing?

Sticking to our food budget is HARD. We've only come under the $150 limit once so far - usually we're $5-$10 over, which isn't too dire, but we had a few bad weeks recently. The trouble is, things keep coming up. I had to make a birthday cake last week, and I'm doing a big baby shower cake this Saturday, which will mean buying an extra block of butter, some yoghurt, cocoa and icing sugar. Possibly vanilla too. Not the end of the world, but it adds up. Also, I tend to spend the whole $150 at the start of the week, and then DH will come home with a bottle of soft drink or something to "cheer me up", which is sweet, but has kinda the opposite effect. :p

Eating dinner by 7:30 each night is likewise a bit of a bust.

I have a new... not resolution, but project to improve myself, I guess. I've taken up violin. My little sister and I are taking cheap Saturday morning music lessons at Uni. I wouldn't have done it if she hadn't bullied me into it, but I'm glad she did.

To stay on track, I need to sew myself one garment by the end of the month. Should be doable. I have a sailor dress mostly done, hanging in the closet - I just need to do the hem, buttons and buttonholes (and pretty up the invisible zip, which was not my cleanest insertion ever). I've been in a sewing rut lately, but DS has grown out of all his clothes so I'm making a couple of shirts right now, which will hopefully get me back into the swing of things.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Doing OK...

Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM

- eating meat only every other day = ok

my 3 other goals, not so much (not eating kid's leftovers, less time at the computer, pick any 3 exercises from a keep fit illustrated book)

on the other hand i've started decluttering a bit (on my "to do list" for the last 4 years ...)

and am starting to loose a little bit of weight (another one of my goals, that one, more than 10 years old)

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

How's everyone doing?

Sticking to our food budget is HARD. We've only come under the $150 limit once so far - usually we're $5-$10 over, which isn't too dire, but we had a few bad weeks recently. The trouble is, things keep coming up. I had to make a birthday cake last week, and I'm doing a big baby shower cake this Saturday, which will mean buying an extra block of butter, some yoghurt, cocoa and icing sugar. Possibly vanilla too. Not the end of the world, but it adds up. Also, I tend to spend the whole $150 at the start of the week, and then DH will come home with a bottle of soft drink or something to "cheer me up", which is sweet, but has kinda the opposite effect. orngtongue.gif

Eating dinner by 7:30 each night is likewise a bit of a bust.

I have a new... not resolution, but project to improve myself, I guess. I've taken up violin. My little sister and I are taking cheap Saturday morning music lessons at Uni. I wouldn't have done it if she hadn't bullied me into it, but I'm glad she did.

To stay on track, I need to sew myself one garment by the end of the month. Should be doable. I have a sailor dress mostly done, hanging in the closet - I just need to do the hem, buttons and buttonholes (and pretty up the invisible zip, which was not my cleanest insertion ever). I've been in a sewing rut lately, but DS has grown out of all his clothes so I'm making a couple of shirts right now, which will hopefully get me back into the swing of things.

Post pics of the garment you sewed!!! Once I get settled, I want to start use my sewing machine to make clothes but need examples to booster my courage.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM

am looking for a pattern for an easy dress for DD1 (who's now 2 inches taller than me ... but i don't want her to buy dresses i see that show too much flesh ....)

have already got the fabric (a half price flowery coton for the bottom half, a solid color for the top half)

probably sleeveless so that it's easier (she wants to learn to sew whilst doing it ...)

another resolution that i managed to keep has been to moisturise my heels every day, i used to thinkn it would work/try to do it in the evening but seldom kept to it for long ....now, i do it in the morning, just after washing myself and before putting on socks (having relocated the moisturiser in a convenient drawer in the bathroom)

Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 AM

Fell off the wagon this weekend...BUT it is my b-dayjoy.gif  I'm right back on today.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Happy birthday! :)

Well, I finished my article last night, so I can get back to real life. I have a lot of sewing to do. Also cleaning. And cooking. And educating DD. And visiting friends. And gardening. And all the other stuff I put on hold while I pretended to be a Part-Time Freelancer with Work/Life Balance.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks.

Back to day 1. Doing well so far.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM

How are you ladies doing??? March bigeyes.gif is almost over.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. Not great, honestly. :p

Still struggling majorly with the food budget. We had a few particularly expensive weeks just now, because of DH's and DD's birthdays.

I've nearly finished Item 1 of the six I'm supposed to sew for myself this year. Not *too* off-track.... yet....

Eating dinner at 7:30 every night... yeah, not really happening. Entirely my fault for not getting organised more quickly in the afternoons. I think we are eating earlier than last year though, on the whole.

I am trying to be more conscious of being kind to DH, and that's spilling over from the "official" one day a week, so yay.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM

OK! One goal was to cut my hair for lock of love... BUT a place near me is having a cut-a-thong for St. Jude Children's Hospital.lady.gif

Now the question is...how will I cut my hair upsidedown.gif 

Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 AM

June???yikes2.gif OK where is the year going???

Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 AM

Anyone still here? I confess that I sort of forgot about this thread. Had a quick read back and checked my goals so I thought I would update

Weight loss: I am losing weight but veeeerrry, veeeerrry slowly. And I may have lost and gained the same kg a few times as well bag.gif I was 67.1kg this morning so have lost just under 5kg... in 6 months. Oh well, at least it's a loss.

Eating most meals at the table: dinner we're doing very well at this. Lunch and breakfast, fairly hopeless.

Friday shopping: not too bad. Going shopping every Friday but haven't mastered the art of *one* weekly shop. Probably need to meal plan to really succeed. And write proper shopping lists instead of just winging it and ending up with 7 blocks of fetta cheese in the fridge. Good thing it has a long life.

Veggie garden: is going well. We have mint, basil and parsley in the herb section. Marigolds, sunflowers and sweet peas (these seem to be failing though) for colour. And tomatoes, snow peas, kaalain broccoli, capsicum, rainbow chard and zucchini all happily growing away. So far we've only harvested some snow peas and a couple of capsicum but it's chugging along nicely.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 AM

I'm doing well. I lost some weight and had my hair cut for St Jude.

Doing well orngbiggrin.gif

Tags
Personal Growth
User Tag List