I want it like yesterday! Help with waiting for things plz - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I Finally know something in life that I really want to do and feel very passionate about, but it is going to take quite a lot of time before I can actually do it, probably a good year. And so I am feeling extremely impatient lately. Has this happened to you? How do you deal with such a strong feeling of impatience I guess is what it is? 

So far I have made a list of things I need to do in order to reach my goal. I am hoping that beginning to do those things will help keep my mind off the fact that my main goal is taking a long time to achieve. I'm hoping it will make me focus less on how annoying it is to be waiting so long, by being busy doing other things to improve my chances of reaching the goal. Is there anything else I can do to help myself deal with this waiting period? I honestly feel like it is driving me crazy and I don't know how to handle it better. greensad.gif

Any advice please??

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-14-2013, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I think the best answer is to try to find peace in the moment. Right now. Maybe you are impatient because you believe the thing you want will give you a sense of happiness/ satisfaction/ whatever it is you seek. So the best thing to do is to try to practice being as present as possible- like in the moment. And try to make yourself feel inner peace right now even though you don't have the thing you want yet! I read lots of inspirational authors to help remind me of this. And a lot of them say that same thing- just take this very moment and try to be as peaceful as you can, as happy as you can.

BeckyBird likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

you should also consider the positive side of it, as you want this thing so much that it easily motivates you to do other things tha are required for the one big thing. I would see this rather positively, because a lot of people want something but aren't willing to invest what it takes to reach their goal! If a change of persepective doesn't help, find a new hobby, something that takes your mind off things and enables you to just relax!

#4 of 4 Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think your idea to take little steps is great, that's what I usually do when I have a goal that is a long ways off. That, and I completely over-research and over-plan :)

Depending on what your chosen goal is, you might be able to find and read plenty of books about it and everything related to it. If you know other with similar goals, find them and talk to them about it or find a community online. 

I'm in a similar sort of situation, I am planning to go to midwifery school but it is at least 2 years off and I am SOOO impatient. But I'm registered for a doula training course, and looking into childbirth education. I'm also reading tons of stuff about midwifery, everything from technical books to zines to fiction. I am working as a CNA hoping that some of the caregiving skills I learn in this job will help me be a better midwife. I'm even looking at apartments in the city we plan to move to, just to get an idea about locations and rent and so forth. I love daydreaming, and when I'm planning vacations or anything I usually do tons of planning and imagining. Of course things never go exactly as we planned, but I just enjoy having something to look forward to, that's half the fun. 

And if you have any other unrelated, more easily achievable goals you can work on, that'll also help keep your spirits up and keep you feeling awesome and motivated.

Tags
Personal Growth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page