Tired of feeling bad that I cannot make more money - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am a wife and mother and I currently work part time. I have a bachelor of science degree in finance, but I have never been able to advance beyond making $15 an hour. I am unable to stop being embarrassed by this. I worked full time for about 6 years after college, then went to part time after I had my daughter. I'm now at a job with a small company that is not doing well financially, and just cut everyone's pay, so I'm now making the same hourly wage that I made in college 10 years ago and I am just mortified. I have a constant dialogue in my head that goes in circles from being mad at myself that I'm so greedy and that I should be thankful that I have a job at all and that many people would love to be where I am, back to why did I even bother going to college to get a "good" degree just to make such a small amount of money, I might as well not work.

I'm tired of this range of emotions going through my head about my worth as a person because of the money I make or do not make. I know this is not a forum for career development, but because I am most importantly a mother, I wonder if other mothers have felt this way, and how/when do I get to a point where I either figure out what needs to change or I realize that nothing needs to change and I need to be content where I am.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

I was definitely, and still am to some extent , in the same position as you.

I finished Uni with a BA, went on to work for a while making my own money.

Met DH, got married, moved, and had children.

We decided that I would be a SAHM, which I was for 10 1/2 years.

Just went back to work 2 days a week, and am making ok money.

I did try over the years to get a couple of jobs, for which I was offered around minimum wage. It was so incredibly embarrassing and humiliating, that we figured it would not even cover childcare for my children. To be honest , neither of us was comfortable with putting our children in child care.

I know many in my state would be glad, and are glad for any job, no matter how small the wage.

I feel ya mama! you are not alone.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#3 of 3 Old 11-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hugs.  I feel that way at times.  Especially when I'm around the very wealthy people in my town.  I have to keep reminding myself that how much I make isn't a reflection of who I am as a person.  :Hug

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Tags
Personal Growth

User Tag List