Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Personal Growth (http://www.mothering.com/forum/12-personal-growth/)
-   -   Career (http://www.mothering.com/forum/12-personal-growth/1394925-career.html)

jmarroq 12-28-2013 11:10 PM

I'm not sure this is in the right forum, but I am pretty down about my "career". I would love to be one of those moms who can work full-time and have a family, but my husband doesn't help much, and I don't have a network of friends/family nearby to help me out. I am realizing that I can only work part-time...something very flexible.

I worked at many jobs before having kids. I did administrative, front desk, clerical, bank back-office, advertising sales, etc. etc. I am currently in sales. My job is commission based, so I need to work my butt off to make any money. I can only put in 2-4 hours a day, so it's not working out so well. It's getting to the point where I am not even able to cover the $70 weekly for after school care for my daughter. 

I stopped working 11 years ago, and started working again last year. Every job I look at has requirements that scare me... even basic stuff like "knowledge of spreadsheets". I never really learned how to make a spreadsheet with formulas, although I am sure it's simple enough. Every employer wants a very specific degree (I have a BA in communications) or a masters or 5 years experience, etc. My cumulative work experience is long, but I never worked at one job for more than 2-3 years. 

I really need a job, and I hate to settle for a minimum wage job when I know I could get more. I tried to start my own business last year and it was a big failure (teaching children's music classes...ran out of money for marketing). My dream is to own my own business, but I am not sure what I could do. Could I just start selling the endless junk in my house on Ebay and actually make money on it??? I read these lists of the top 20 stay at home mom businesses, and I can't do any of them...blogging? Freelancing?? How? Where? Who would want to read my ramblings and actually pay me for it? I just want to cry. Anyone else feel the same...never really got your career off the ground and wish you had? 

Viola 12-29-2013 01:50 AM

I never got a career off the ground, and frankly I want to cry when I read articles on sites like the Huffington Post or Jezebel, and I realize people are getting paid to write these shallow articles. And I want to cry even more when I read the poorly written, inflammatory ones.

I went out and got a substitute teaching license, but it's not working out so well for me right now.

Nan411 03-14-2014 12:30 AM

Not sure if I can offer any helpful advice but I am in the same boat. I'll be 29 next month....pushing 30 and never really got my career off the ground. I had my first child at 19 when I was a sophomore in college and because It was difficult going to school and taking care of a baby, I decided to major in something "easy" (Child Development and family studies). After graduating at 23 I worked for about a year as a preschool teacher but then got pregnant with my son and decided to stay home. I was at home with my son for almost 4 years and just recently started working again. The job I work at is about 30 hours and only pays $10 an hour. Most of the girls who work there are in their teens/early 20's. I don't know if or when I'll have a "real" adult job. It is really difficult with the kids. I don't know how some moms do it :( I am super tired just working the hours I do with housework and the kids activities.

biofarmer 03-14-2014 03:14 PM

My advice would be to take an entry level job at a corporation.  A state entity would be a good place to start also.  With an entry level job, you will gain many skills.  After a year you can apply for something better internally or externally.  Every few years look for something better until you find the job you love.  I am still searching but getting closer.  

If you really want to start a business take some time to write down things you are interested in.  If you like writing, start a blog and find some great resources of making money blogging.  If you enjoy sales, you can absolutely make money selling on eBay.  You could even sell homemade goods at a farmer's market, etsy or craft shows.

Good luck on your hunt!  

sunforjulie 03-14-2014 05:02 PM

I never got my career off the ground either. After getting my husband's career off the ground and launched, I became pregnant shortly thereafter. I loved my job of being a SAHM, but a divorce forced me back into the workforce to accept a job with flexibility and 9-5 kind of hours. I have become quite good at my job, yet I often wonder how things may have turned out if I would have continued. I cringe when I see sales jobs that are commission based, as I would probably be broke and crying in the streets. Although I did not have a full understanding of spreadsheets and the like, but I did learn it and found it to not be impossible. Take lots of notes and ask questions. you'll find what is a great fit for you!!