2Likes
  • 1 Post By Neera
  • 1 Post By Linda on the move

#1 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Tips for starting a Gratitude journal

Anyone here keep one? I saw an old Oprah program in which she said it was an amazing thing to do. I want to start one but I don't know how to go about it.

I feel like if I'm writing I am thankful to be alive, to have a smart, healthy child, dh.... how many times am I going to write that over and over. So, I can pick incidents from the day but for example today I felt like I didn't want to be thankful for anything. Dh was complaining to me about me. But some days I'm just doing the same old, same old. Dd and I are doing the same things, going to the park/pool. She is smart and she can amaze me a few days a week. But do I write this everytime? I have so little contact with anyone else. It's just dh, dd and me. I am in touch with old friends on the phone/email.

Tia

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown

Last edited by Neera; 08-04-2014 at 05:06 AM.
#2 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I try to be specific when I write in mine. I don't get to it everyday, but probably 5/7. Sometimes it's really simple stuff like. "I'm thankful that DD ate all her vegetables" or that DS didn't spit up. It is an exercise in remembering and cherishing the "trivial" day to day stuff.
#3 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I don't do a journal but try to catch myself and DS in complaint mode and ask for 3 things we're thankful for verbally.

I will open myself up to the possibility of a journal though. The mindset just helps a ton.
#4 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I've been trying to get one going. I am shooting for coming up with 2 things/day that I am really grateful for. Like you, we are often doing the same things daily. As I have done it more I notice things more and make mental notes about things that really struck me as "hey, this is really great!" in the moment. I struggle with consistency though.

And yeah, some days it is a struggle. Those are days I am thankful for nap time, or that the children are asleep, or that there is quite at 3am that I woke up to hear. LOL It isn't always pretty. LOL

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

PS I forgot to say I didn't watch the whole episode. It was just a snippet so never got an explanation as to how she does it but apparently Oprah keeps one.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#6 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramtngirl View Post
I try to be specific when I write in mine. I don't get to it everyday, but probably 5/7. Sometimes it's really simple stuff like. "I'm thankful that DD ate all her vegetables" or that DS didn't spit up. It is an exercise in remembering and cherishing the "trivial" day to day stuff.

Thanks, I'll try it.

#7 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adinal View Post
I've been trying to get one going. I am shooting for coming up with 2 things/day that I am really grateful for. Like you, we are often doing the same things daily. As I have done it more I notice things more and make mental notes about things that really struck me as "hey, this is really great!" in the moment. I struggle with consistency though.

And yeah, some days it is a struggle. Those are days I am thankful for nap time, or that the children are asleep, or that there is quite at 3am that I woke up to hear. LOL It isn't always pretty. LOL

So you see things you didn't see before doing the same routine things? I guess that's what you mean??

Unrelated: Portland rocks. We were there on vacation in July.

#8 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't have a journal but I saw a post on fb where people will write what they are grateful for or even happy about on a note and put it in a jar. DH and I started one in January but there are probably only 5 notes in there. I did some silly stuff like getting a pair of Real Tree Girl sneakers I was waiting almost a year for to come out in stores. I also did one for when I got my craft table and was able to set it up in the corner of our living room so I can work on my projects. At the end of the year you can go back and reflect on all the wonderful things that happened that year. I guess I need to start writing again.

#9 of 12 Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl916 View Post
I don't have a journal but I saw a post on fb where people will write what they are grateful for or even happy about on a note and put it in a jar. DH and I started one in January but there are probably only 5 notes in there. I did some silly stuff like getting a pair of Real Tree Girl sneakers I was waiting almost a year for to come out in stores. I also did one for when I got my craft table and was able to set it up in the corner of our living room so I can work on my projects. At the end of the year you can go back and reflect on all the wonderful things that happened that year. I guess I need to start writing again.
I feel thankful for my possessions like owning a good pair of sneakers that fit well. I can't find my size Anywhere. So, if I do, its joy. But that aside I don't know, even if it's a little trivial I am thankful for the comforts (from possessions) that so many others don't or can't have.
CountryGirl916 likes this.

Last edited by Neera; 08-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.
#10 of 12 Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I've kept a gratitude journal off and on for years. When I first started, I was depressed and it was tough, and often I wrote down things that I should feel grateful for, because I wasn't in a head space to actually feel gratitude. KWIM?

Doing it for awhile, though, gradually changed how I saw my life and how I experienced my days. I started noticing the little moments that were amazing and beautiful. We all have them, its just that when we are having a hard time we don't see them. Doing this helped me learn to change my focus from what wasn't good in my life to what is good.

Some thoughts on things to put in your journal:

• Things from your past that were wonderful. It doesn't have to be stuff from today. It could be your favorite teacher, or something special a friend did for you when you were going through a hard time. Anything from any point in your life.
  • It can be something that just went well, or better than expected. Or just something that you got done. Little events that are positive in some way for you.
  • It can be details about one thing or person. I do five items a day, and sometimes I do themes, like 5 things I like about my one of my kids or 5 reasons why my favorite restaurant is my favorite restaurant. Just a list of positive aspects about something in my life.
  • Its OK to use the same things over.
  • Its OK to be grateful for little things that most people take for granted, like grocery shopping with enough money to buy groceries , or that you have a family to eat dinner with. Part of what happened for me when I started doing this is that I realized that I had a lot of stuff that I had been taking for granted, and it helped my out of my depression.
Also, we made it a family tradition to go around the table at dinner time and each member of the family says one thing they are grateful for, and we use it as a jumping off point for conversation. This is a nice way to raise children with habit of looking for the good (once they can talk!).
CountryGirl916 likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#11 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I've kept a gratitude journal off and on for years. When I first started, I was depressed and it was tough, and often I wrote down things that I should feel grateful for, because I wasn't in a head space to actually feel gratitude. KWIM?

Doing it for awhile, though, gradually changed how I saw my life and how I experienced my days. I started noticing the little moments that were amazing and beautiful. We all have them, its just that when we are having a hard time we don't see them. Doing this helped me learn to change my focus from what wasn't good in my life to what is good.

Some thoughts on things to put in your journal:

• Things from your past that were wonderful. It doesn't have to be stuff from today. It could be your favorite teacher, or something special a friend did for you when you were going through a hard time. Anything from any point in your life.
  • It can be something that just went well, or better than expected. Or just something that you got done. Little events that are positive in some way for you.
  • It can be details about one thing or person. I do five items a day, and sometimes I do themes, like 5 things I like about my one of my kids or 5 reasons why my favorite restaurant is my favorite restaurant. Just a list of positive aspects about something in my life.
  • Its OK to use the same things over.
  • Its OK to be grateful for little things that most people take for granted, like grocery shopping with enough money to buy groceries , or that you have a family to eat dinner with. Part of what happened for me when I started doing this is that I realized that I had a lot of stuff that I had been taking for granted, and it helped my out of my depression.
Also, we made it a family tradition to go around the table at dinner time and each member of the family says one thing they are grateful for, and we use it as a jumping off point for conversation. This is a nice way to raise children with habit of looking for the good (once they can talk!).
Thank you for the great tips. I understand what you mean about not actually feeling it. I feel like that too and then at a different point in time I'll be like how can I be so unthankful. I loved the one about being thankful for something from your past, like a teacher. I often think about my teachers - the kind and the nasty ones.

#12 of 12 Old 08-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't keep a journal but try to do this with my DD each night as part of our bedtime routine. I has really helped us both see blessings we may not have noticed before beginning this. It has helped me to be more mindful and in the moment through my day and reduced DD's grumblings about things she can't do/doesn't have/etc. Win-win!! I do really like the journal idea. Perhaps DD and I can start one together

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page