• 1 Post By Angiwhite
  • 2 Post By djsimonmlb
  • 1 Post By pumabearclan
  • 1 Post By head4thehills

#1 of 17 Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb How important is creativity for you?

Hi ladies,

As you can see in the title, I'm wondering about the importance of creativity in your life and it's role in personal growth. I have some of my own theories about it, but I'd love to hear what you think. I'm all ears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Hi

I think it does help. I just picked up Crocheting and I think it's teaching me to settle down and take the time for myself to be fun and creative.
veromm likes this.
#3 of 17 Old 03-21-2016, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's very important, We need it everyday to be able to do something beautiful or create something that tells who you are.

http://www.creativityatwork.com/2014...is-creativity/
veromm likes this.
#4 of 17 Old 04-11-2016, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
it's great and very important , but I'm not a creative person , Is there anything I can do do that i can get to be a little creative ??
Neera likes this.
#5 of 17 Old 04-11-2016, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
creativity

I think creativity is about thinking outside the box. I guess some people may be more hard-wired that way then others but maybe it's a practice thing too. Public schools kind of grind it out of you. It can be like taking a more playful attitude towards life, I think most kids start out with it but then it gets repressed or they are told to stop being so darn "creative". I have been wondering how much is nature and how much nurture as my nephew (around 4) plays imaginatively but has no inclination to draw or do crafts, I tried to encourage him to try paint and drew two circles on a piece of paper and he said: "why did you draw a snowman?" Sigh. When I started college level art studies they asked us to draw a tree, most people will draw a green blob on a brown stick. This is not creativity but regurgitation of a symbolic "tree". So we were encouraged to think more widely, more individually. Why couldn't the trunk be yellow or pink or green? Why couldn't the leaves be red or purple or white? Maybe it could be an evergreen or maybe it's got lots of trunks, or maybe it's pencil thin...Creating art can also be about accepting what you really observe (and ignoring all the rules you've been told over and over), which is what artists movements like the Impressionists and Expressionists were all about. Dr. Suess it a great ex. of creativity, love his illustrations so much. If we didn't have creativity, nothing new could happen, there would be no new stories, no new recipes, no new music, no more inventions or scientific theories.
#6 of 17 Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineBrion View Post
it's great and very important , but I'm not a creative person , Is there anything I can do do that i can get to be a little creative ??
Catherine, I believe that there is no such thing as a non-creative person
There isn't a universally accepted description of creativity, but i would describe it that it's the ability to move past traditional ideas and create meaningful new ways. Synonyms to creativity are words like ‘innovation’, ‘imagination’, ‘mastery’, ‘ingenuity’, ‘originality’ and ‘fantasy’. Not all of those point to The Arts though. IMO when we talk about creativity, we don’t only talk about painting a masterpiece, dancing like a ballerina or composing a classical orchestra piece. Sure thing, those are all part of being creative. But there is so much more to creativity than that.
momto1 is spot on in her last sentence "If we didn't have creativity, nothing new could happen, there would be no new stories, no new recipes, no new music, no more inventions or scientific theories."

Several scientists came to the conclusion that creativity is something that we all have in us. It's actually a skill that we need to survive. Think about a situation, when you’re in the wild, somewhere in a remote area. You’re lost and you don’t have shelter or food. Your first instinct is to look around and find ways to have those two things. Your brain is working on solutions. When you start making shelter from whatever you find and come up with a solution for food, you are actually tapping into your creativity. You are using your previous experience and knowledge, and combine it with your imagination. Creativity means problem solving for me. And I'm very sure that you're already creative in the ways of solving problems within your family. (make the kids eat veggies )

But that said, is there any kind of creative activity that you always wanted to do? Or something that really looks like a lot of fun? What is the reason you didn't start doing it?
head4thehills and oldsmom like this.

Last edited by veromm; 04-11-2016 at 10:05 PM.
#7 of 17 Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also think it is very important; For me, sewing and graphic designs both help relaxing and I think it is also very important to nurture kids creativity and imagination
head4thehills likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I blog about happy kids and awesome toys!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

I totally agree Angiwhite! Kids are still so in contact with their creativity, we need to let them do their thing. When I look at my kids and our friends' kids, they are also often very intuitive about which creative activity they prefer. I love that!
#9 of 17 Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile

There are many intuitive responses in this thread. With those responses considered, I believe creativity is important because it is unique to every human being. Each person defines creativity in their own manner, and each of us have our own acts of creativity that make us feel fulfilled.

Kids are very creative, I do agree. I always try my best to support them without having to diminish the fun or the extreme nature of their imaginations.

I believe in creativity - it makes our world dynamic and lively. I think we should embrace the inner creativity within and help others do so as well. Thank you for posting this thread.
pumabearclan and veromm like this.
#10 of 17 Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineBrion View Post
I had a freind who used to ask the same question; I'm pretty creative and she was always wondering how I came up with ideas. For me it's recombining all the creativity I see around me (in nature - the ultimate creator, solutions and innovations of others, and theoretical abstract creations like art and books) in my own way to meet my needs for beauty or to solve a problem. My husband is very creative in a different way and we collaborate very well so finding people who can stimulate original thinking in you is quite helpful.

Try to be aware, look and think deeply about what you experience, and retain these in a journal or scrapbook. Go places to seek out creativity like museums, browse science journals, surf wikipedia, ask leading questions of others: build a creativity toolbox.
veromm likes this.
#11 of 17 Old 06-17-2016, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

djsimonmlb, beautifully said!
#12 of 17 Old 06-21-2016, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
What a great thread! Like others here, I think creativity is so vital, and yet so undervalued, and often misunderstood. Many of us experience criticism for our creative pursuits, and are made to feel like we are wasting our time or not doing anything "useful" if we are doing something just for the fun of it. But, just like children need to play in order for their brains to develop well, adults need their own form of play. We need to explore, experiment, learn from others, try out new things, communicate with and without words, appreciate beauty and ugliness, and just plain old muck about. It can't be explained to the skeptics, and often we have to learn to ignore our inner skeptics, but creativity is at the root of all practical things.

So whatever it is that turns your creative crank, whether it's needlework, art journaling, interpretive dance or experimental audio, no matter how "good" you are at it, know that it's worthwhile. Teach your children that it's worthwhile too, whatever it is that they love to do. They'll have enough people in their lives making starving artist jokes or giving cautionary advice on not quitting their day jobs if they express an interest in the arts. Better to champion their dreams and find ways to facilitate their pursuits. If they are doing what they love, chances are they will find a way to make a living at it, or at least be motivated to support their art habit!
veromm likes this.
#13 of 17 Old 07-16-2016, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thank you so much for this thread! I really feeling like beauty and creativity are missing from my life right now. I hate it. It makes me feel soul-less, actually. I'm going to try to revive my creativity today but taking some time to cook something new, writing a bit and watching a foreign film. I miss being a creative soul in the world. I really, really do. I believe that we are all creative. It doesn't have to be creative with a capital C. I don't have to paint something that ends up in an art show to be creative. I can solve problems in creative ways. I can spend my day with creativity in mind. I can do things that are new to me with an open heart and that too is creativity. We all have the power to be more creative in the world and I know for me it's an absolute must that I've been missing out on. So thank you all for sharing here. It means a lot and it's helped motivate me!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#14 of 17 Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
My stumbling block in this area, since having children, has been the time issue. They say work expands with the time allowed to complete it. This is definitely true for my creative projects. I used to have tons of time to make art, and so my pieces were very elaborate and detailed. These days, I have to find ways to be creative in very short spurts of time, and somehow not wind up with a heap of unfinished projects. I've pared it down to little more than a sketchbook and a mechanical pencil, which I carry around when I'm outside with the kids. This way, I can doodle down my ideas during the less active moments, or when the kids are engaged with their own thing. Sometimes I found it frustrating because I wanted to do more, experiment more, use more materials, or just be better at drawing. I still feel that way, and want to make more finished art, perhaps something I can sell... one day. But then, leafing through my sketchbook, I realise that I've collected quite a few ideas and have actually gotten better at composing my semi-abstract patterns and designs. And when I've satisfied that creative urge in me, I think I'm a better mom, and I think the kids are happier to have parents who are actively making stuff.
#15 of 17 Old 07-25-2016, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
when my son was little

I dropped oil painting and charcoal and returned to photo. Instead, I would carry my camera or a camera with me everytime we left the house. I managed to do a show by sharing time with another artist who also had a child, collectively, we were able to pull it all off in 3-4 months from creation of all art works to completion. Later, I did a large series of very small board paintings which could be done in short bursts (and in a very small space). I managed to have a show in a small art gallery that was new and needed people to fill the gallery. It is possible to do art work with kids. I also turn to crafty stuff/practical things when art making is difficult like toy making, which I can do in my lap.
#16 of 17 Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I think creativity is extremely important in all aspects of life. I work as a project manager, and I am tasked regularly with trying to find ways to get things done when someone has put up a proverbial wall to slow down or stop a project. Thinking outside the box, and trying to find new ways to solve an old problem are what pays the most in the business world.

And I don't think it takes a lot of active parenting to make your kids creative. My mom used to say, "Boredom leads to creativity." I have told my kids the same thing. When they were younger, and would occasionally complain about being bored, I would usually give them one pass and point out all the art supplies and outdoor toys they could go play with. If they came back, then I would warn them - find something to do, or *I* find you something to do (like dusting, vaccuuming, or laundry). It usually worked. When it didn't - bonus - cleaner house!

I can remember when I was maybe 8 years old finding a bunch of styrofoam and boxes from a shipment my dad got. I decided I was going to build a robot because I was bored. I didn't realize that it needed electronics and programming - until I started to really think about it. And now... I manage projects to build robotics.

Stepmom for roughly 10 years to four fabulous kiddos: two boys and two girls. All of which are now entering adulthood.
#17 of 17 Old Today, 01:16 PM

For me it's very important! Creativity and exercise is the only way I can clear all of the junk out of my mind. I can get lost for hours making an outfit and when I'm done all of the stress just seems so far away.

Tags
creativity , opinion , Personal Growth , spiritual growth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page