How have you grown since becoming a parent? - Mothering Forums

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Zilver

#1 of 1 Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How have you grown since becoming a parent?

I've been trying to grow into a better version of me since forever, and failed over and over. When I became a parent 3 years ago, something magical happened. Suddenly it was too important to give up.

How have you grown since becoming a parent?

I've learned a lot about anger management. Boy, I didn't even know I could get that angry. Sleep deprivation sure did a number on me. Now I can keep my temper a lot of the time, and when I really need to let it out I'm learning to be kind about it. Instead of shouting hurtful words I describe my own feelings and reach out for help to end the conflict. I'm still working on learning to control my volume, and not asking questions that only have one valid answer.

I've also learned a lot about empathy. It was interesting to find out that I actually don't know much about it. It's difficult to learn such a basic skill at 30+, but I'm getting there.

I've also learned about courage. I've been terrified of failure and making mistakes, but I'm learning to try new things anyway. I'm diving into difficult situations with a confidence that I'll be better off for it. I've given up a safe, predictable life for a scary, adventurous life, to give my child the best life I imagine I can give her. It's a difficult life filled with challenges, but I'm getting through, and I keep growing.

I've also learned a lot about children and how they learn. I've learned about Sudbury Valley School and unschooling.
applejuice and Nazsmum like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page