A very cool mothering meditation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-11-2002, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Mothering Myself"
In a society preoccupied with how best to raise a child I'm finding a need to mesh what's best for my children with what's necessary for a well balanced mother. I'm recognizing that ceaseless giving translates into giving yourself away. And when you give yourself away, you're not a healthy mother and you're not a healthy self.

So, now I'm learning to be a woman and a mother. I'm learning how to just experience my own emotions without robbing my children of their individual dignity by feeling their emotions too. I'm learning that a healthy child will have his own set of emotions and characteristics that are his alone. And, very different from mine. I'm learning the importance of honest exchanges of feelings because pretenses don't fool children, they know their mother better than she knows herself.

I'm learning that no one overcomes her past unless she confronts it. Otherwise, her children will absorb exactly what she's trying to overcome. I'm learning that words of wisdom fall on deaf ears if my actions contradict my deeds. Children tend to be better impersonators than listeners.

I'm learning that life is meant to be filled with as much pain as happiness and pleasure. And allowing ourselves to feel everything life has to offer is an indicator of fulfillment. I'm learning that fulfillment can't be attained through giving myself away-but through giving to myself and sharing with others.

I'm learning that the best way to teach my children to live a fulfilling life is not by sacrificing my life. It's through living a fulfilling life myself. I'm trying to teach my children that I have a lot to learn because I'm learning that letting go of them is the best way of holding on. -Nancy McBrine Sheehan
#2 of 7 Old 07-12-2002, 06:23 PM

Thanks for sharing this. It's wonderful. So much to learn...so little time!!
#3 of 7 Old 07-13-2002, 12:58 PM

Thank you, Lee. I needed to read this.
#4 of 7 Old 07-20-2002, 05:42 PM

yes thank you for shareing this, it was good to read. it hits hard with me right now b/c im having a difficult time "identifiing" (sp?) myself, and i just dont know where to start.

i really like the part about not giveing yourself away but giving to yourself and shareing with others, id really like to be able to do that.
#5 of 7 Old 07-22-2002, 01:26 AM

I have to send that one to my mother

edited 3minutes later to add:
I just did
#6 of 7 Old 07-24-2002, 05:02 PM

That was beautiful !

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#7 of 7 Old 08-02-2002, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you all liked it--I just reread it and it always puts me in the right head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page