runners- need help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-14-2001, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I have shin splints (spelling???) and don't know what to do about it. Everyone tells me to rest- but I can't take a break- I must run!!! It's my only time out of the house, so it's hard to give it up. I'm breatfeeding, so I don't want to be taking tons of tylenol- which seems like the only thing that would help the pain while running. Anyone have an all natural solution? Maybe arnica?? I'm wondering what others have done.
Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 12-14-2001, 12:21 PM

http://205.147.231.44/home/1,1300,1-0-79-529,00.html

try this link. I know it is hard but please take care of yourself, even if that means taking a break. If you don't you can easily cause perminate damage and really have a problem in the future. Can you do another sport/activity like race walking, light hiking, or something like that? Do you have a bike or one you could borrow for a few weeks until the splints are gone? It will only take a short time for it to heal in the big picture.

Take care,
TH
#3 of 5 Old 12-14-2001, 05:03 PM

Could you wear knee braces while running for extra support?
That might be a preventative measure.

Let us know how your doing.
#4 of 5 Old 12-15-2001, 12:36 AM

Stop running for awhile!!!! It will only get worse. Also, make sure you have shin splints and not a stress fracture. The pain can be similar. I used to be a cross country coach and have had kids that thought they had shin splints only to find out it was a stress fracture. If you have access to a gym, try the eliptical machine. Or, if you have access to a pool, swim and "jog" in the water. Hope you get better soon!
#5 of 5 Old 12-17-2001, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like I might have a forced break anyway, with things getting hectic over the holidays. Maybe that will be enough to help me feel better. I appreciate all your advice- thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page