Daughters of Alcoholics Support - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 215 Old 11-18-2006, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad I found this thread! My dad is an alcoholic and I have no contact with him (or his toxic family) as a result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 215 Old 11-21-2006, 11:27 PM

Hi. My mother died from the disease in 1976 when I was 7.

Growing up with her resulted in my inheriting the disease.

I am clean now. I am active in AA.

I highly recommend to anyone dealing with any loved on who is alcoholic to get to an AlAnon program immediately.

If you are still suffering from your upbrining go to AcA Adult Children of Alcoholics. It can be very healing.

Happy Thanksgiving.
#183 of 215 Old 11-22-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestholmes View Post
Hi. My mother died from the disease in 1976 when I was 7.

Growing up with her resulted in my inheriting the disease.

I am clean now. I am active in AA.

I highly recommend to anyone dealing with any loved on who is alcoholic to get to an AlAnon program immediately.

If you are still suffering from your upbrining go to AcA Adult Children of Alcoholics. It can be very healing.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ernestholmes> thanks for that. Is it ACOA or is it AcA?
#184 of 215 Old 11-22-2006, 09:56 AM

just wanted to send out positive thoughts to anyone celebrating Thanksgiving without a parent, or with a parent who isn't sober.
#185 of 215 Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM

I just wanted to thank Mate for sharing the above post. two nights ago, my dad called. He hasnt drank in many many years and it is always possible he would pick up a drink yet i think not. However, there are times when he calls and i think i hear his voice slurring and this huge jump happens in my heart-- or rather it's a dreadful sinking feeling. I sometimes want to ask him, since we seem to get closer and closer over the years-- yet i fear if i say 'dad, were you drinking? he'd say no, trying to cover it up or get defensive or that somehow for sure i'd know and maybe i'd rather not.

Anyway, It being Thanksgiving of course i am sure there are many subconscious memories in me that will never let this go. Maybe i should let him know one day how important it is and how happy i still am to this day that he stopped?
#186 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 11:07 AM

lauraess- I think your father would be really touched if you said that.

I understand the whole phone thing, too. For me, my father becomes silent, angry and withdrawn when not drinking. When I do get a call from him it's usually after he's been drinking, and it's bittersweet for me-happy to be hearing from him, but knowing he's altered.

Today I'm missing the "could have been"-that fairy tale relationship between a father and daughter that I feel deprived of every once in a while. It was my father's birthday recently, and I haven't spoken to him in months (he's pretty reclusive.) On special occasions I feel he knows I'll be calling and screens the calls. I was hoping to connect with him on his birthday because dd wanted to play Happy Birthday on the piano for him, but only got the answering machine.
I wonder if I'll be able to speak to him today. The most painful thing for me is to think of how much he's missing by not knowing his granddaughters.
#187 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 12:24 PM

My dad is an alcoholic. I dont have much time to write right now, but Im sure I will later. I have a lot of scars from the last 20 years that I remember.
#188 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 PM

Mata> Yes, that is certainly a tough one to handle at the holiday time of year -- the phone calls and wishing in that fantasy-like way that a parent/s was there for you instead of being sucked into there disease.

My mom has always been mentally ill and i still occasionally mourn something that might have been there between us but mostly i would be extrememly sad for *HER*. Now, I've managed to either let it go or detach myself from it in some way that it doesnt get to me so much.

thanks for the encouragement about saying that to my dad, Mata. Honestly that means a whole lot for anyone to say that. I never talk about it.
You know, " I am strong- i can handle it"
#189 of 215 Old 11-23-2006, 06:51 PM

Hello. I'm subbing. I'm 34 and my dad is an alcoholic. He lives in Virginia and I live in MIchigan and so my kids and I don't see him that often- just at xmas time usually- which is bearable for a few hours. He's not a completely horrible person, but he STILL is an alcoholic. I'm dating someone whose ex is an alcoholic and he thinks he can go with her to ALANON dinners or whatever to be supportive, and yet he'll turn right around and say how she messed up her kids' lives. He's lucky she didn't mess up HIS kids' lives in the process! I just don't see a way to "heal" alcoholics unless they DO IT THEMSELVES. And that will take YEARS, not months, IMHO. Yes and my dad does talk with me on the phone sometimes, but he is drunk sometimes, yes, sometimes no... but he doesn't always (usually) seem to pay attention to me even whenI'm talking. Its like- "Take out 10 minutes to talk to me!" But I don't expect it to happen- but I still try. He's still a great person- he's just very messed up. .And I try to keep seeing it that way. I can't fix him or even help him, but I'm not going to damn him either. He did yell at my kids (and my sister's kids) a couple xmases ago- gave them "the evil dad look" that I hadn't seen since I was a teen- and my kids just gave it right back like "Whatever, buddy!" Just like me. Still, I don't want them exposed to that, so the shorter time we can spend together the better. Try to make it a pleasant time.
#190 of 215 Old 11-25-2006, 03:32 AM

My father was an alcoholic, drug addict, with chronic pain.He was a fantastic entertainer/musician with a great mind and although he was a big strong man, he had a small scared boy trapped inside him. His childhood was horrendeous with all sorts of abuse. It is amazing he did as well as he did. Things were okay for a while with the big drunks only on the weekends, and my mom did an amazing job shielding us and taking care of us (while somehow enabling him). We had the huge crazy parties with mototcycles and all (and great music). I also had many school functions and recitals with no parent-my mom commuted an hour each way and cooked all the meals and cleaned (and gardened and sewed...I am only now realizing how aawesome she is since I know now how hard having kids can be). My dad often picked me up from school drunk or forgot to pick me up at all. In high school he got into drugs and things degenerated very quickly after that. My mom left (and we stayed, poor mom, at dad's we could do whatever we wanted), and then I moved away and it ended up with all of our things and our farm being sold.

But like many of you, I have very few memories of anything bad happening. My mom can't believe that I don't remember some of the things that happened. I think it is a survival mechanism. I also don't believe that hashing through all that stuff with a therapist is going to help.

We all have so much in common. I went through a period of alcohol abuse, but can now enjoy one or two drinks and then stop.

I feel like my immeadiate family is somewhat functional (but I don't really have a good gauge of what that is). My brother is very dysfunctional and my mom enables him out of the belief that if she didn't he would kill himself. Not much fun. I have just sort of abandoned ship and now take care of my own family the best I can.

My father died last year after having had a stroke, then getting drunk and falling down and hitting his head. Very sad. I am having a hard time with it. He lived far away (I, like many children of alcoholics, moved far away right after high school), and I hadn't seen him for a long while. I ahd lost touch with him, then reconnected, but he kept moving with out telling me, and with two kids, it is a little hard to plan a trip to visit someone who might be living on the street. He never met my kids. I keep thinking I could have helped him, I should have gone up there. He shouldn't have been lonely. He didn't have anyone care for him when he was a little kid and he didn't have anyone care for him when he was old and sick. I tried helping him before, and so did so many others in treatment centres, but it is very hard....

Thank for this space to vent. This is the first time I have written about this ever.
#191 of 215 Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 AM

Allie, and everyone.

My dad died 11 years ago, addicted to valium and alcohol. He committed suicide. He was a very kind but sad man, and he would have been over the moon about his grandchildren. There are many times that I have cried, thinking about what he and his grandchildren have missed. He would have been the sweetest grandpa.

My mother (also an alcoholic, but maybe sober now, hasn't talked to me for a long time) is alive, but does not acknowledge my children and will probably never have a relationship with them (Why does she need to, my sister (enabling one) has children).

My husbands parents love the kids in a bit of an abstract way - they are older and not very comfortable with kids. My dad would have only been turning 60 this February - there would be so much fun and bouncing on the knee in him still. I do mourn that loss.
#192 of 215 Old 12-01-2006, 07:24 AM

Can I join?

My mother was an alcoholic and we were estranged because of it. She died on Thanksgiving last year at 46. She drank herself to death. My only sibling, a sister, died January 14th of this year. She also drank herself to death and had a hidden crack cocaine addiction.

No one tells you how to deal when an alcoholic parent dies and you are left with loose ends. No one explains how you will feel. I don't miss having a mom because I never really had one - what I miss is the idea that some day I MAY have had a mother... a normal one... one who wanted to rekindle her relationship with me. THAT is what I truly feel I missed out on and what I mourn everyday.
#193 of 215 Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM

welcome Ambitious mommy and hugs to you. That must be very hard as i know also the 'mourning' of loss of what never will be.
You lost two dear women and i cant imagine the hurt...s
#194 of 215 Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 PM

Thank you. I think the hardest thing was that my sister was only 24 and my mom actually began giving her alcohol at the age of 5, so she really had no hope. Luckily, I was raised by my grandparents so I sort of got the luck of the draw. My sister also left behind a 9-year-old, which has been devastating to her.
#195 of 215 Old 12-28-2006, 07:03 PM

Can I join?

My dad's been an alcoholic probably since before WWII. His drinking affected my relationship with my sister (how dare you leave home and leave me with this horrible man?), several boyfriends, and my husband. I don't drink often, and when I do, not much.

His drinking has, of course, affected his health. A few years ago, I had to go to Arizona to check him and his girlfriend into a geriatric psych ward (neighbors reported their house was filthy, full of broken booze bottles, and they were constantly falling), where he was diagnosed with dementia, caused by his alcohol use. She has since died, in part, because of her alcohol use.

At 84, he's now in assisted living, and doing well, except for the times, LIKE TODAY, where the staff reports he grabs a cab, gets taken to a liquor store, buys a few bottles and drinks himself senseless, leaving me with the choice -- do I go over now, take the bottles out of his apartment and have a shouting match? Or do I wait until he passes out, and remove them, hoping all the while that he won't fall or throw his body chemistry out of whack to the point where I get to take him to the ER instead? (Been there, done that, several times.) Amazing how this ususally happens at holidays, when I'm sick, or so busy that I'm unable to deal with it.

Makes me sad, and mad. Sad for him, because he is in fact a decent, caring guy, trapped by a hideous disease that he no longer has the capability of resolving on his own, if he ever did. Sad for me, because I can't care for him the way I'd like to, because I"m so resentful of the time and attention he's sucked away from my kids, my life and my marriage. Angry because it didn't need to be this way.

Thanks for letting me vent.
#196 of 215 Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM

I'm glad I found this thread.

My dad is an alcoholic. He started drinking years before I was born (soon after my parents got married. He was a severe alcoholic to the point where he would just literally pour hard liquor down his throat (1/2 pint at a time) w/o actually swallowing it and drive off with me and my brother in the car/truck. He would get into minor accidents while we were in the truck (cab). This was a 1957 Chevy manual with no seatbelts! He would be in his car or truck, pull over and pass out for hours; you could never wake him.

He drank so much he would vomit every single morning from a hangover and piss on himself at night he would be that wasted. He did this daily for over 20 years. Then you have your typical police, yelling, sleeping in the park etc stories.

He then started using crack and that’s when my mother divorced him after 27 years of marriage. 10 years later at age 57, he doesn’t drink but he’s a regular crack smoker despite continuing to go to school, and earn degrees. During all of his years as a sloppy alcoholic, he was very successful in the medical field unless he lost his medical license due to too many DUIs.

I'm actually shocked he's still alive with minor medical complaints despite the crack. His sister died from an overdose and kidney failure 10 years ago.

I actually never thought about getting help because I always saw it as his problem. But after a failed marriage (married way too young, 20 and pretty much married my father) and other bad decisions in my life, I’m just starting to realize that my childhood may have played a role.
#197 of 215 Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 PM

Hugs to all of you! Thank you for sharing your stories.

I was so glad to see some program pop up in this thread! To those who haven't gone yet, I highly recommend it. I have been in alanon for six years and I can't even count all the ways my life has improved because of the help, love and support I have received there.

Just throwing my hat in the ring.

Happy New Year to all!
#198 of 215 Old 01-07-2007, 05:01 AM

!! Sorry, I did post something, but decided to edit. My apologises
#199 of 215 Old 01-11-2007, 12:56 AM

I found this on a group I'm in, and I think it is very interesting! Has anyone read it?

New Book - Alcoholism: The Cause & The Cure by Genita Petralli

Below is Dr. Hoffer's forward to the book, Alcoholism: The Cause & the
Cure by Genita Petralli. To purchase the book, go here
http://www.the101program.com/.

Alcoholism: The Cause & The Cure

Forward by Dr. Abram Hoffer, M.D., Ph.D.

….In this book, Ms. Petralli describes in careful detail how these
essential nutrients play a role in the cause and the treatment of
alcohol addiction. Further, Alcoholism: The Cause & The Cure
enlightens the reader by clearly demonstrating that alcohol addiction
is truly, at its core, a Nutrient Deficiency Disorder, and provides a
fascinating account of how to properly treat it. It provides the
course of action that must be taken to cure an orchestra of the
malaise created by one or more defective musicians. The results are
immensely superior to those that depend upon psychosocial methods alone…

The education you will find in Alcoholism: The Cause & The Cure, and
hopefully, the successful treatment that you will embark upon, is that
there are underlying nutritional deficiencies that create the symptoms
that you use alcohol to relieve, which leads to alcohol dependency.
Alcoholism: The Cause & The Cure exposes these deficiencies while
providing a proven dietary and nutritional supplement program that
reduces or eliminates these symptoms. This method of approaching NDD,
or alcohol dependency, diminishes the likelihood of relapse with the
degree of health and balanced brain chemistry that is achieved with
your treatment. When the symptoms are gone, so is the craving or need
for alcohol.

Dr. Abram Hoffer
Canada, November 28, 2006

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#200 of 215 Old 03-14-2007, 01:12 AM

subbing
#201 of 215 Old 03-14-2007, 03:10 PM

hello,

I was so, excited?, relieved, hopefull to see this thread. My dad is an alcoholic too, he has been forever- long as I remember anyway. My parents are divorced, Ive never lived with him, always with my mom. We have a pretty ok relationship now, as long as I always remember that I am the adult not him. He is remarried and his wife is great but she is an enabler-excuses, excuses. I have never been to a meeting-just stopped outside the door. I have VERY VERY addictive tendencies, and I feel Im a lot like my dad. I do not drink alcohol at all. I have long since given up on the fairy tale that he will quit, and have come to terms that I will have to let go of him too early. he adores my kids and they love him too, I hate thinking that he is drinking it all away. ANyway I just wanted to do a quick intro and say hello- so hello

Jenny
#202 of 215 Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 AM

hi
me too. I am an acoa. It took me all this time to admit that tho, I knew my dad was an alcoholic of course, but because my parents divorced when I was 7 I thought being an adult child didn't apply to me. plus I abhore my own stigma on being labeled, I don't like my past choosing who I am today, thus here I am. silly me.

so my parents were old, my mom was 44 when she had me and I have(had) 2 older siblings. My dad died a few years ago, I forget how many, I wasn't that close. As an adult, his slurred speech and quick temper made any contact awkward for me. He was sober for over 12 years when he died of liver disease and he was a huge aa advocate.
my mom never drank, was an enabler, she gave my brother his last drink, I can't stand her for so many reasons, I have so little love, so little respect, so little compassion for her, she's 80 now and I can't stand anythign about her. She lives with us and I worry about how transparent my issues are with her and them effecting my kids.
my brother also died of alcolism a few years ago. I've outlived him :-(
My sis, who was adopted, and is 11 years older, is sober now, more then 15 years, I forget now.
And my dh has been sober for 12 years, he went into rehab before our son turned 1 :-)

and I just entered theraphy. about time! I am so ready and so unaware of all the 'work' I'll have to do that I was avoiding.

we were mostly neglected in various ways as kids. now that I have my own kids I see things, recognize issues, etc and don't want to repeat any of my past. dh and I struggle with communication, tho we are working on it, we've come so far from how we were raised, we don't want our children repeating the cycle. 'how long til my soul gets it right' by the indigo girls is just replaying in my head these days!

oh, and I went to al-anon years ago for several years, it did help. alot. If you're not getting anything out of it, I would try a different meeting.

and, I just read a good book for over eaters who are acoa called feeding the empty heart by barbara mcfarland

...going to read the other posts....
#203 of 215 Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceyhsmom1 View Post

and I just entered theraphy. about time! I am so ready and so unaware of all the 'work' I'll have to do that I was avoiding.
My 12-step work is nothing but a joy as I peel layers of my onion. Good luck!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#204 of 215 Old 06-29-2007, 12:48 PM

Hello. I'm an ACOA. I'm hoping this thread hasn't died out.

My mother went through AA recovery 22 years ago when I was in high school. I've just recently discovered that she is most likely.....no, she IS addicted to rx pain meds and sleep aids. I have no idea how long she's been on the rx stuff. She's traded one addiction for another. I'm sadly realizing that I never knew my mother and probably will never get to know her. My father is completely co-dependent. My mother was the emotional absent alcoholic. She was also emotionally abusive. I "survived" by being the good daughter with strong perfectionistic tendencies. I never wanted to ask for help because I thought it was a sign of weakness. This time, I'm asking for help.

As I read through this long thread, I realized that I should have gotten help a long time ago. I had no idea that a lot of my behavior/personality was because of the environment I grew up in. I had no idea that our family dynamics were and still are affected by my mom's past and present addiction. I know that may sound strange, but I honestly thought that since there was no physical abuse or abandoment, that my mom's issues were only my mom's issues.

I hope there are people that still check in on this thread. I'm starting out and I could use a little encouragement right now.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#205 of 215 Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Hey LauraLoo - It sounds like you have alot of insight. The issues with your mom sound tough - I'm sorry for what you are dealing with right now. Sometimes it really sucks, doesn't it?

I find it useful to read ACOA literature or go to an ACOA website when I am struggling with family issues. Also, I know that I am pretty healthy and I work on accepting what I can't change.

Blessings.
Kathleen
#206 of 215 Old 06-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Hello LauraLoo.

I don't have any advice for you, as I'm still working my way through my issues with my father's alcoholism and Mother's co-dependence. It's a tough row to hoe, but I think we have all been led down this path for a reason.

We are all strong enough to learn from our parents' mistakes, and we learn more every day.

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#207 of 215 Old 06-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
My 12-step work is nothing but a joy as I peel layers of my onion. Good luck!
Hah! I don't feel this way anymore.

Now I just accept myself as I am; try to talk to my father when I can, but do not see everything through the lens of alcoholism. Leaving all 12-step programs has given me a ton of peace and happiness. I got tired of feeling like everyone was sick and defective.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#208 of 215 Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
I can't be the only daughter of an alcoholic here, right?

Have you ever attended an al-anon meeting (I haven't)?

Do you trust you parent(s) around your children (I don't)?

Do you talk to your kids about alcohol, do you tell them to avoid it (I do)?

I am also the daughter of an alcoholic parent, more specifically, my mother.

I have attended al-anon meetings, I don't trust my mom around my DD, and as for DD and alcohol... she's only 8 months old right now, but I plan to give her the truth when she is ready. I don't drink and I will tell her why. I will tell her about family members who have had problems drinking, but also show her examples of people who successfully enjoy it in moderation, so she can model after them if she does decide to drink. I must allow her to decide for herself, as I believe she has to discover the truth for herself and I want her to know I trust her and that she can make her own decisions based on informed consent. Although drinking for me is a painful subject, I remind myself how I discovered alcohol and am debating the subject of letting her try it in the safety of our home instead of having her discover it on the street where she is vulnerable to other dangers.
#209 of 215 Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 PM

Anyone else dealing with this? My mom went into treatment a year ago after 25+ years of heavy drinking. She had stopped talking to me 6 years ago. Now she says she wants to talk, but when we did talk two weeks ago, it was all about what an awful person I am. She lies about the past, blames outside events for her drinking - mostly me as a teenager and my father, who is dead. She refuses to take any responsibility for her behavior (which was actually worse when sober than when drunk) or the damage that her drinking while we were growing up caused. It's all about her victimhood.

I guess she has some alcohol-induced brain damage, but I think the majority of the "memory loss" is a subconcious effort to protect herself and her image from the facts. My instinct is to write her a letter that tells the truth about what went down for the last 20 years and say, "You need to accept the truth and deal with it, then we can talk." Is this just totally counter-productive, or what? I can't sit with my mouth shut and continue to be blamed for her problems in order to have a "speaking relationship".

I was doing so well, too. One 45 minute meeting with her has thrown me for an emotional loop for two weeks. I have indignantly been replaying the truth of what happened to me as a child in my head as I try to make sense of her "version of the truth", and wonder if we can ever have a relationship that isn't about her blaming the victim.

L.
#210 of 215 Old 07-21-2007, 10:00 PM

My dad's an alcoholic. He is sober now. He was sober for I think 3 years but got really stressed and had a couple beers so he had to give back his coins to AA and start over. : Well, that was a few years ago.

My dad is my best friend. He is bright, hilarious, and a great father. Last weekend my BF and I visited his parents. They started going on and on about how after reading Barack Obama's biography and finding out that he had done cocaine they would not vote for him. I think they mentioned him being an alcoholic or maybe another politician. Boyfriend's mom went on a rant about how alcoholics are terrible people and she would never, EVER vote for someone with a history of alcoholism. It was such an angry rant and I didn't want to get into it too much but she defended her position by saying "OH I KNOW ABOUT ALCOHOLICS, MY UNCLE WAS AN ALCOHOLIC". Well effing congrats, lady. Since your uncle was an alcoholic you obviously know ALL ABOUT alcoholism and every alcoholic who has ever walked the planet. My boyfriend and I were trying not to flip out as we tried to explain that you can't judge people by past mistakes like that. Everyone has some demons they've overcome.

This is what I wanted to say to her, but I couldn't, because if she knew my dad was a recovered alcoholic she would probably hate him. (I assume after learning about what a nut she is after her comments):

"Have you ever seen 'It's a Wonderful Life'? You know how Jimmy Stewart's character works every day to make sure the people who are having financial trouble don't end up homeless? That's exactly what my dad does. (we have lots of rental properties in our town) After September 11th, a lot of people in my town were laid off, including several of our tenants. My dad didn't evict a single one and told them to pay him what they could when they could, and together they would get through it. One of his laid off tenants was sobbing because she couldn't even afford a cake when her daughter graduated from high school, so my dad bought the girl's cake. Oh, and my dad was an alcoholic. He's been sober for several years. He's my best friend and one of the happiest, most intelligent people I've ever met. He never cheated on my mother and never hit either of us. He was never mean, he acted STUPID when he would get drunk. Alcoholism doesn't define him, nor does it automatically mean he's a sloppy violent drunk who can't be trusted."

It'll be a week tomorrow since she said that and I'm still really, really stung by it. My post doesn't do her angry ignorance and hurtful words justice. :

Quote:
Have you ever attended an al-anon meeting (I haven't)?

Do you trust you parent(s) around your children (I don't)?

Do you talk to your kids about alcohol, do you tell them to avoid it (I do)?

My DH also had an alcoholic parent growing up. We're as dry as can be. DH would not even sip the champagne at our wedding toast.
-- I have not. I decided to a few months ago but it just was not possible with my work and school schedule. I would have had to drive over a half hour away in the evenings. It was my last quarter to wrap up my BA and I decided to put Al-Anon on the backburner.

-- Yes, I trust my dad with my life and the lives of my future children. I would even if he was still drinking. He was an alcoholic but I guess I would say he was a mild alcoholic. Still an alcoholic nontheless.

-- When I have kids I will talk to my kids about alcohol and explain our family history of alcoholism.

-- BF and I drink. He has no history of alcoholism other than this uncle of his mom's. We'll have a beer with dinner or a margarita at happy hour or something. Sometimes I drink to get drunk. Sometimes I'll go months without a drink of any sort. I'm not concerned about myself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page