Daughters of Alcoholics Support - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 215 Old 12-06-2004, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't be the only daughter of an alcoholic here, right?

:

I am still picking the shards of glass out of my skin from having grown up with an alcoholic parent.

Have you ever attended an al-anon meeting (I haven't)?

Do you trust you parent(s) around your children (I don't)?

Do you talk to your kids about alcohol, do you tell them to avoid it (I do)?

My DH also had an alcoholic parent growing up. We're as dry as can be. DH would not even sip the champagne at our wedding toast.

#2 of 215 Old 12-07-2004, 02:34 AM

I too deal w/ alcoholic parents. I would love to share more, but I have a high needs dd who needs to go to bed, (maybe I should be in the high needs children tribe Will write more tomorrow.
#3 of 215 Old 12-07-2004, 02:53 AM

My dad was an alcoholic. He quit drinking when I was 12 years old and didn't drink AT ALL for many, many years. The past few years, he has a glass of wine here or there, but nothing like he used to. My childhood has a lot of bad memories due to drinking, but I do trust my dad around my kids, as he's not been drinking for almost 20 years. I've never attended an al-anon meeting, but my mom almost sent us to the ala-teen or whatever it's called for kids. We never did go. I think I had a balance b/c my dad drank, my mom didn't (at all except for a drink on the holidays), my grandparents drank pretty responsiblity, so I had a variety of people to learn from.

I don't tell my dd to avoid at all, but she's only 4 now. I do tell her it's a drink for adults when she sees me drinking here and there. I used to drink quite a bit at happy hour on fridays, but since kids, I don't go out at all. I have a drink or two here or there, but that's about it.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#4 of 215 Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 PM

I grew up with two alcoholic parents. My father committed suicide 9 years ago (he also had Multiple Sclerosis and depression). My mother has spent so much energy hiding her alcoholism that she cannot be close to people who know about it and acknowlege its existence, so she stopped talking to me 5 years ago.

I went to Alanon meetings for a while when I was in graduate school, but everyone's stories were so different than mine. We had no fighting, no police, physical abuse, etc. (but plenty of emotional abuse and neglect!) that can go along with drinking. Just me being 10 years old, helping my passed out parents into their beds, and wondering what the &%$# I would do if there was a fire.

The whole family (my grandparents are also alcoholic) is riding on this river called "da nile", and I turned in my paddle and am essentially no longer a team player. Wonder what they are doing for the holidays? I see my sister some, and I love her, but I am sort of weary of the game she is participating in.

It stinks.

L.
#5 of 215 Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 PM

Have to add this:

When we were kids, we were left with our alcoholic grandparents for a week or two each year, with this instruction: "You know how grandma and grandpa act funny in the afternoon? Well, don't go anywhere in the car with them then."

Yikes, do you see that I am having to figure out the whole parenting thing from scratch?
#6 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 AM

No, mama's you KNOW you're not alone... surely the stats on alcholism in the family is pretty high. My dad drank most of my growing up years--- 'till i was about 18. He was violent and sloppy. My mom jumped right in on the craziness. she didnt drink much but she didnt have to. Mental illness runs in her family and having an abusive drunk for a husband just fixed her into the game of shame, blame, and chaos.

Leatherette> yes, figuring out the parenting thing sure is quite a ride when you feel like your models were from hell and saying or thinking " I will never do what they did " is disheartenly difficult to carry out.

I've never gone to alanon meetings but always wondered. I have a book called " Perfect daughters" but have never read it---- anyone???

I've spent years in therapy and years going to N.A meetings for my own addiction.

I've told my kids that we dont drink in our family because it's dangerous. When they are older they will know more. My 6 year old already understands that alcohol is not "good for you".

my dad is a wonderful person who has not drank in almost 20 years. I trust him with my kids. It's my mom who is sick and can not be trusted in my opinion.

glad to have a place here to share.
this is a good time to speak about this, christmas is and was always a tough time. I think I've pretty much stopped trying to make up for all my childhood christmas losses, but I think there will always be a certain kind of anxiety and residual saddness left behind.
Thanks for starting the thread meowee!
Lauraess
#7 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 02:02 PM

My mother is an alcoholic- but she has never owned up to it. She is fine during the day, but watch out ofter the sun goes down. I will leave DS with her alone during the day, but never at night. Dad drinks occasionally, but never more than one drink.

It has caused so much grief - and with lots of family stress lately ( my maternal grandmother died a couple of months ago) she has been drinking alot lately. She is quite combative and stirs up all sorts of crap when she drinks, and sometimes calls to start a fight : .

I've never been to a meeting. I have considered it though.
#8 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 04:47 PM

my parents drank every day I think since I was about 3ish. Maybe a bit sooner. I can now look back and recall various incidents, but the daily passed out on the couch SAHM I had began at about age 12. My dad worked in a normal job until he was about 50. At which point he was laid off and he had trouble finding another job. Which meant that my folks started spending down the 400,000 they had set aside for 4 kids in college and then their traditional life insurance policies. Ok this is getting lengthy, I'll try to be brief...the shit hit the fan for me in high school. I attended alateen meetings then but didn't find them helpful. I got counseling in college and graduate school -- that was very helpful.

My youngest sister is an alcholic married to an abusive alcoholic. They no longer drink, but they haven't processed the whole addiction thing. My older sis is an active alcoholic and the two of us in the middle drink every now and again.

I struggle with letting people close to me. I think that's the biggest thing -- either I give them too much info up front and they are like "whoa" or I don't want to give anything for fear of unpredictability. I can recall getting into a fight when I was like 10 (with my "best" friend). I was upset, my mom calmed me down and sat on my bed. Same thing happened about a month later and she told me tough beans.

My dad died about 5 years ago -- his health was deteriorating, but he fell in a train station (he wasn't "drunk" although he did have alcohol in his system) and had an internal head injury and was pronounced brain dead. The thing is he walked to the ambulance. It was quite the shock.

My mom is still actively drinking and I don't live close enough for erin to be remotely involved in her life.

Anyone else really feel like they got the shaft on closeness with mom and dad?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#9 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
I struggle with letting people close to me. I think that's the biggest thing -- either I give them too much info up front and they are like "whoa" or I don't want to give anything for fear of unpredictability. I can recall getting into a fight when I was like 10 (with my "best" friend). I was upset, my mom calmed me down and sat on my bed. Same thing happened about a month later and she told me tough beans.
The hardest part, for me, about growing up with an alcoholic parent, was the unpredictability. Sometimes I had a nice, calm parent, and other times they could have been anyone. Mean, callous, violent, charming, joking... it was all the luck of the draw for the particular day.

#10 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 09:59 PM

Got to chime in. My mom is an alcoholic, she got sober when I was 14. I think now (after many years of therapy and meetings) that her alcoholism really was a gift, because it brought out all of the crap in my family that was under the surface and made us all deal with it. My mom is wonderful and always has been. She was just in so much pain for a good many years. Now that she's sober, yes I trust her with my dd. My dad, on the other hand.....

BTW, I also married (and divorced) an addict, a frequent consequence of growing up in an alcoholic household. He was sober, but what I consider a "dry drunk" with all the behaviors and unpredictability of an active alcoholic. I drink socially now and feel I have a pretty healthy perspective thanks to all the support I've received in the past.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#11 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 11:28 PM

Hi ladies. Hope all is well. Im relating to the issue of "closeness- or lack thereof. I've always been terrible at friendshiips and at the age of almost 37 I can really only say that I have one close friend. My relationship with my mom- although she was not the alcoholic but very disturbed- to me is what put the most scars on my self-esteem and ability to have healthy relationships. so, as far as the unpredictability goes- Im afraid that my own unprdictability is hurting my family and it comes from both parents-drinking or not. I wonder sometimes lately if im suffering from what ever it is mom has (she's never truly been evaluated). or is it just (ha) the complex mixture of both.
anyway, has anyone noticed the similair "tone" we carry in our replies?
Laura
#12 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

ktmama I was just going to come here and ask if anyone had married or seriously dated a man with substance abuse issues.

My DH has never touched alcohol but before I met him I dated a man who had substance abuse issues.

I seem to be naturally drawn to needy people esp. those with substance abuse issues. I think it's because growing up with an alcoholic parent made me lose my natural self-protective instinct. So when I met a man that would make a less damaged person run in the other direction, I'd give him another chance, and another, another.
#13 of 215 Old 12-08-2004, 11:59 PM

Wow, Meowee, I can really relate to that! In the past I was always drawn to really emotionally distant and bullying men. It's almost as if I was actually attracted to that part of them! ICKY!!!!!

It's really sad to see some of my younger friends going through this with their boyfriends. They just don't get that you can't change someone's nature and that they are repeating their own pattern - hoping to heal it.

Nothing has taught me the difference, however, than meeting and falling in love with my dh. He's kind, open, wants to be intimately close. I guess, in a word, he's a grown-up, not a little boy.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#14 of 215 Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 AM

My name is Bonny and I am an Adult Child of 2 alcoholics..... My dad died of the disease on Christmas 1996. My mom has been in recovery for 18 years. I left home at 14 and became emancipated....(long story, too long to share right now, but I will soon) I started in Ala-Teen at 12, graduated to Al-anon, was in it steadily for 17 years, then fell away. Wasn't living with any alcoholics, so I didn't need to be in al-anon right? (insert sarcastic snicker here) I have just recently begun attending online meetings again and will begin back in face to face mtgs in January. Once affected by alcoholism, always affected by it huh? More later....
#15 of 215 Old 12-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraess
Im afraid that my own unprdictability is hurting my family and it comes from both parents-drinking or not. I wonder sometimes lately if im suffering from what ever it is mom has (she's never truly been evaluated). or is it just (ha) the complex mixture of both. anyway, has anyone noticed the similair "tone" we carry in our replies?
I think we all are the product of our upbringing. It is how we learn to deal with that upbringing that carries to our children. I heard on NPR once that when you grow up in disfunctional family oftentimes you can function normally day to day. It is the stressful situations that you can't handle "normally." To that end I've tried really hard recently to think about that during times of stress and remind myself to breathe before flipping out.

example (not a super great one) --- my parents would *freak* if we broke anything. Dumb, this attachment to objects I know. Anyhow, on thanksgiving my hubby accidentally knocked one of big serving bowls that goes to our china set to the floor. It shattered and I could instantly feel the blood boiling. I walked away without saying anything, did a circle around the house to relax and let myself really say what I mean and came back to say "did you get hurt? no big deal. we can replace it." MIL was very impressed and she's a part of a functioning family that interacts appropriately with each other. Ok patting myself on the back, I know, but I guess I was struggling to find an example of what I meant.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#16 of 215 Old 12-10-2004, 12:06 AM

That makes a lot of sense, kerc, to remember during the stressful times to not react. In our family, something was always getting broken. Thanksgiving diner could easily be on the wall instead of the table- if that. When the holidays come I've always had a good deal of anxiety but thought i was dealing okay. well, i dont know whats going on really, but now, when i think im dealing okay and yet im not- im breaking the glass front of the oven door while throwing a butter knife at my dh! ...Thaksgiving comes and no way can i socialize at the inlaws when im full of fear for what my come out of my mouth-(or hands)... so, i stayed home alone this year.
I've been going through a lot this last year. I've been on meds for anxiety for 4 yrs now , I've been practicing yoga, I've tried various herbals, I've spent 7 yrs in recovery for my own addiction, and im almost certain i've entered perimenoupause. I'll be 37 next week and sometimes lately i wonder... how much more can i take? how much more can my family take? Will i go completel;y over the edge one day- cause im feeling REALLY close somedays!?
You ladies seem so far to sound like you've been dealing well. (not that theres a lot of info here to make any real assessment) -- so, does it sound like im a mess or what??? My psychiatrist just gave me Risperdal to help out with these crazy times and im stuck not really wanting to take it. I dont want to put more crap in my body. I dont want to become dependant on another drug. My accupuncturist/freind has given me some chinese herbs and her advice sounds wonderful to me. I want to believe im not so messed up that i need heavy duty drugs. but, my history and my parents' scares me a lot these days.
-- Thanks for hearing me
~Laura
#17 of 215 Old 12-10-2004, 01:59 AM

Laura,

You are not the only one. I have generalized anxiety disorder and was on PAXIL for a year (off for more than a year, I swear, it really does "rewire" you)
I am doing very well generally, but when stress builds up I am like a pressure cooker. In the past several weeks, my daughter was diagnosed with asthma, my son had impetigo on his face and a fungal infection on his leg which required an emergency room visit, my cat has been very ill and peeing inappropriately and vomiting, and two of our chickens have been killed by a raccoon.

So all of that has made it tough for even "the normal one" from my family to cope, especially with the holidays coming (people are getting the bare minimum). I have been grumpy and less patient. I was not nice to my son one morning, but I caught myself and have been trying just to take it out on my husband (joking). When I get stressed, I have to talk myself through to a normal reaction at times, because I had no models of normal reactions to stress growing up.

I am giving myself permission to be less than perfect with regards to keeping up the house, making Christmas be something "grand", etc.

Take care of yourself,

L.
#18 of 215 Old 12-11-2004, 06:45 PM

Leatherette> Thanks so much for your words of encouragement - sure feels right coming from someone who "knows" perhaps what im talking about.
Lately, I feel and think that many people are looking at me sideways. maybe it's just that i've come to beleive that since my behavior of late has been whacked. I try not to dwell on it and tell myself I really dont know the truth as to other's peoples actions or behaviors.
I sure do hear ya with the endless bull being thrown your way. >> Thats how i've felt in the last month, it being almost unbearably nuts. between the dogs, the kids, my dh and my relationship, the holidays, and my newest endeavor giving me a "thrill ride" ( The Teacher training program i was enrolled in folded unexpectedly) and my daughter deciding she didnt want to go to Her "school"( it's a home care situation) I really felt like beleving the lie my head wants to deal out and thats that "life is a joke, YOUR life is a joke"
kwim?
I seem to go back and forth with the permission to be less than. sometimes i think im struggling with the addiction of trying to be perfect. I will be obsessed until i almost kill myself with worry and anxiety and then i absolutely HAVE TO Back off. It seems like binging.
I really thought i had gotten much better with this... but now... i dont know.
It seems like as my kids get older I go through issues of my own childhood. And thats definately difficult. right now my son is in first grade and im constantly worried about what's happening with him and other kids and how much is he affected by either my genes or the environment i've given him.
I think im going to begin to meditate on letting this go. Yes. meditating with the intention to let go knowing my school years were mine and can not be done over and his is his only, that i've done the best i could with him. It's so hard to think of his pain... yet maybe a lot of it is really mine from many years ago. does this make sense?
Laura
#19 of 215 Old 12-11-2004, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

one thing that really stumps me is the question "WHY?"

I'm a spiritual person. I believe we choose our lives before we are born-- or God chooses them for us.

We did I choose my parents? Or why did God put me with my parents?

It's almost enough to make me an atheist LOL.

I don't believe that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I believe there are SOME hardships that do make a person stronger, but there are also things that just make life so sad, and that make a person feel broken.

"Every tragedy is a blow to the soul." This is a quote from a documentary I watched recently-- it really struck me.

I am very sad, and bitter, about the alcoholism in my parent. Things like alcoholism can affect a family for generations. I do not drink alcohol, so I won't transmit this habit to my children, but I carry a tremendous sadness inside of me that I know I am passing on to my children in whatever large or small quantity. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve around them, but children are so sensitive, I can't hide my feelings from them completely.
#20 of 215 Old 12-11-2004, 10:22 PM

Laura,

I understand the stress of wanting to be perfect, to try to undo the family history by going the opposite way and being EVERYTHING that your parents weren't. The important thing to remember is that what you need to give your son is a childhood, not a perfect childhood. We did not have full childhoods because we had to parent/cover up for/compensate for our parents. Your son won't have that because you have chosen to break the cycle. But if you have a nervous breakdown worrying.....then you're/he's back to square one.

Take care. I have to repeat this type of message to myself often, and it is working.

Meowee, do you still have contact with your parents? My father is dead, and my mother stopped talking to me 3 and a half years ago, and that is when I was really able to just work on myself and my feelings (and raising my son!). Otherwise, I think I would still be feeling that intense sadness as well.
Mostly, now, I just feel a low grade jealousy toward people with great parents.

L.
#21 of 215 Old 12-11-2004, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherette
Meowee, do you still have contact with your parents? My father is dead, and my mother stopped talking to me 3 and a half years ago, and that is when I was really able to just work on myself and my feelings (and raising my son!).
I want to cut off contact with them, but can't. I just can't. My father's health is not good and he will probably die within the next decade unless he does something to help himself.

They cause me nothing but sadness, but I can't cut them off completely.

I am somewhat estranged from them, though.
#22 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 01:23 AM

I would have had a very hard time cutting off contact with them, too. My mother stopped talking to me, and I spent 6 months pleading with her to meet me halfway, and she wouldn't. I was very upset about it. It took me a while to reap the benefits.

L.
#23 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 06:30 AM

Thankful for this thread.
My father did not become a full blown alcoholic until I around 20 years old....I'm now 33.
While I was growing up he always (and still does) fight with serious depression and bi-polar disorder. He is a deeply sad man. He was also a work-a-holic.
I believe he used alcohol to essentially "treat" his depression. And although it worked initially, it quickly snowballed to years of alcoholism.
He's been in treatment several times. His latest treatment he went to the Karen (sp?) Center in the northeast for six weeks, which cost $20,000+/-. He stayed sober for several months after his return, but again started drinking several months ago.
To complicate matters, my husband works closely with him. It's both a blessing (because my husband loves the job) and a curse (because it keeps me so close to the chaos).
My parents have been married 36 years. My mom (who's father was also an alcoholic) enables my father tremendously. My dad has said she is a "trigger" for his drinking. They seem to have more of a mother-son relationship, an adversarial one at that. My father's actual mother gave birth to him at 15 and was emotionally and physically abusive towards him ---which in my head is the root cause of his woes.
To bottom line it, as if you really can, I feel both sad and angry towards both my mother and my father. I see them as a team since they remain remarried. I try to keep perspective of things, whatever that means. I try to focus on the positive. But there is an undeniable dark cloud there. sigh.
The weird thing is I don't hate alcohol. I hate the cause of the void in people's heart that makes them go to the horrible place that alcohol addiction takes you.
Thanks for this thread.
#24 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 02:00 PM

Meowee: I really understand your questioning- the "whys?'- I used to find it easier and helpful in a very deep way to believe that i was becoming wiser, more seasoned, learning my lessons, etc. I do still like to believe that and in my heart I DO, yet it seems to get more difficult now. Maybe because i've set some subconscious goal about being "better" by the time im "older" and yet Im older next week (37!).....Im possibly better than I was 10 yrs ago or maybe even 3. Yes, true. I just think as i keep looking at this for me that my issues that are still underneath and aching are being brought to the surface as my son and daughter grow. My fear, As LEATHERETTE is suggesting, MY WORRY is more intense than my Faith. and sure, That's going to do the harm just as much to me and my family as if I were drinking and drugging and abusing in other ways.
so, Those "blows to the souls" are not defeating us unless we let them. we may have sadness but then happiness is not everythng. Im not minimizing deep sadness. Maybe Thats the key for you: knowing where and what you are content with. Although I still have crazy times and am wondering on days if i will make it much further, I know im still happy. I've always been able to be glad that I no longer live the life i endured as a child. Right now, thats enough.
Thanks ladies~Laura
#25 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Sparklemom> The "team" your parents have is truly sad, yet very commmon. It is so true, undeniably, that the disease affects each person in the relationship. I think it is crucial for our own health to take the steps to move away from the inclusion-nomatter how miniscule - in the family crap. I dont think I could continue to be part of my familys life (dad and mom) if dad still drank. I took some time a few years ago to back off from my brothers life for the drinking and behavior i was seeing hurt too much. now, i see him maybe once or twice a year.

I know this is hard. we love them and abhor their behavior at the same time.
~Laura
#26 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 04:09 PM

Jumping in...

I am the 30-year-old daughter of two alcoholics. Mom & Dad drank every weekday evening, and constantly on the weekends. Dad was "dry" for about a year and a half when I was 7 and/or 8. That's it. I have a HUGE amount of anger toward them, and it frequently manifests in times of stress. I have a very long fuse, but when I let the pressure out - it's like an atomic blast. I also have issues with perfectionism and feeling the need to control everything. I have one sister, who is ten years older than I. When she graduated from HS, she left home and never looked back. I do resent that she "abandoned" me to raise myself, but at the same time I understand her need to escape, and I realize it wasn't her job to raise me, it was my parents'. We do have a relationship now, but we're not close.
My father's sister recently died, and Dad showed up to the funeral smelling like a keg. I got a lecture from all the other aunts about how I should take care of my father. Uh, yeah. And to finish things out quite nicely, DH is just now starting to come to terms with his own family's alcoholism & how it has affected him. (I think that his journey to wellness is really prodding me to start taking some action as well.) I pray that I'm able to raise my sons in a normal, happy, loving home, free of the chaos that was my childhood.

Does anyone else have large portions of their childhoods that they can't remember? I feel like I have a few pictures in my head, but I can't remember NEARLY as much as my DH. I remember fragments here & there, but for the most part, it's just a blur. Scary.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#27 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 07:45 PM

Hi nitenites! I hear you. -perfectionism, blowing like an atomicblast, resentment.... Yep, forgetting so much about my childhood is something that i always notice ! when people/ parents at my sons school refer to their childhood im always in the back of my head thinking " gosh, wow, that must be nice to have that memory." Mine are mostly pretty whacked, although some - a few- are nice. sometimes i think that the reason my memory now is so terrible (always has been really) is that i got very good at forgetting.
~Laura
#28 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 10:04 PM

You know, I honestly remember very little from my childhood and growing up years. I usually suspected that I just perhaps have a poor memory. But could it also be a defense mechanism of sorts? Am I not the only one who remembers surprisingly little about the past?
#29 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

Wow! What a great thread! I have a mother who is one of those alcoholics who has a split personality. I won't take calls from her after 6pm and have horrible memories of what nights were like with her. My dad usually just passes out after dinner. They drink primarily wine and they don't think it is a big deal. My maternal grandfather was a full-blown, all day long, hard drinking alcoholic, physically and verbally abusive, gambling away the paycheck, yelling all the time, etc so my mom does not think what she and my dad do is a problem. I got into therapy by a fluke at age 20 and have been in and out ever since (20 years now) and I take antidepressants from time to time. I do drink occasionally but when it becomes a crutch for stress relief, that is when I go back into therapy. After having my dd, my allergies have been terrible and I cannot tolerate alcohol at all. So, I don't drink any more. All the better. My dh drinks occasionally but he, too, is monitoring his intake and drinking less and less. His parents are more social drinkers but he did not experience the abuse I have. We don't want to get to where my parents are and be unaware of it and give our dd the hellish experience I had so we monitor ourselves.

I've never been to any official meetings. My experience was with verbal abuse and I think my mom would not understand if I ever went to a alcoholics meeting. Counseling in private provides a safe place for me to speak my mind and say what I want. I am close to my mom and I do visit her but as I've gotten older I have been more and more honest about her drinking. She is only allowed to have two drinks a day, after 5pm, when I am with her. She is not allowed to watch dd at night and I would never let dd stay with her alone for extended periods, ever. I do have to remind my mom to stick to her 2 drink limit (she sneaks it or pours a half glass repeatedly) but things have gotten remarkably better in recent years.

I have to give my mom credit that she is at least open to criticism (during the day). She has been trying to do better. She just does not understand that the patterns of drinking are really hard to break. I live in fear of the day my dad dies and she will have to live on her own. The stress will most likely put her over the top. She claims to be healthy and that the drinking is not doing anything to her but I can't believe that.

I am so glad to read that some of you have had experiences like mine, with a parent who has one personality during the day and one at night. Not that I am glad you experienced that but I've never met anyone who has. Most people seem to get along well with their family and not have these issues. Or, they are hiding them. It is the feeling of being alone and being unusual that always got me down when I was younger.

I would love to hear more from any of you who want to converse in this forum or in private.
#30 of 215 Old 12-12-2004, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

in my house, growing up, my parent would start drinking around 5-6 PM and it would progress steadily until by 8 PM by which point they were either in an abusive rage or asleep. To this day I find myself getting more and more anxious as evening approaches, and by 8-9 PM I feel extremely anxious and nervous.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page