This SAHM's getting organized! Jan 10 - 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's ok with everyone, I went ahead and started a weekly thread.

Unfortunately, I am feeling very disorganized today -- no firm plans on the calendar for the next three days (hate that!) and am not sure how to organize grocery shopping, since a lot of it relies on having $$ in the account, and ds gets paid every other Friday (except for certain months, when he goes three weeks between paychecks -- what a pain!)
#2 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 01:51 PM

Ugh. I have a love/hate relationship with money. I get so tired of being on the edge of moving to the poorhouse. However, we were blessed by some angels at Christmas who left a bag of gifts and an evelope of cash outside our front door. I think it was some wonderful friends at church who knew it was a lean year for us. Anyway, I am not trying to figure out who the angels were--I am just grateful.

We have been using the cash for groceries each week and it is working really well to keep my grocery budget under control. Usually I take a list with me but I end up getting more than I have on the list. Not with cash, though! I am going to keep paying with cash to help me be disciplined.

Last week was slow at work, so I had time to plan my menu and make a grocery list. DH went shopping for me so we are starting the week with a stocked pantry and a menu. It helps SOOO much on my stress level to not be staring at the cupboards at 5 PM wondering what in the world I am going to cook.

My only goals this week are to clean the bathroom and vacuum. This is my last week of work and that is all I can handle! I will start next week with a plan to get our finances in order.

Have a good week everyone.
#3 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Banned

my goal for the week is to:

vacuum and wash kitchen, dining room and living floors
clean upstairs bathroom
cauk and finish painting dds bedroom

dh takes care of finances so I don't have to worry about it.
#4 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli65
and ds gets paid every other Friday (except for certain months, when he goes three weeks between paychecks -- what a pain!)
My dh gets paid every two weeks, too. Doesn't that just make it soo hard to go food shopping?! Especially if you aren't totally disciplined financially and kind of struggling with money on top of that....like we are.

As far as being organized, we still have a very long way to go. But we're working on it! We spent the better part of this weekend up on our third floor that is supposed to be the play room, but turned into the dump-it-here room, and whatever gets dumped starts spilling back down the steps and into the hallway. It was awful, I was looking around the room thinking "wow, we made so much progress" then realized that if a stranger came up they'd think "wow, what a mess!". : It's one of those things that have to get worse before they get better...

The living/dining rooms are pretty straightened, not clean, but picked up. The kitchen/laundry room are a disaster. But one thing at a time, right?! The bedrooms aren't too bad, except for my daughters, her room is turning into the dressing room where all the laundry is getting dropped off. Not working out so well there, either. That's next!

Trying to stick to my routines, and we're doing well with the kids routines and the morning routine, but everything else isn't that lucky...And tonight I go back to work for the first time after having the baby, so that's not going to help the house! I feel bad for my poor dh...yikes!
#5 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Over the weekend I got my meal plan and grocery shopping done!!! It is so great to start the week knowing that is taken care of. My homeschooling lesson plans were ready, too.

We picked up most of our house yesterday, but we didn't clean. After homeschooling today, one of my DDs windexed, one dusted, and I ran the vacuum. It isn't perfect and we didn't do the whole house, but if you don't look too carefully it looks pretty good!

I realized over the weekend that part of the reason making meal plans is so difficult and time consuming for me is because my recipes are a huge mess. My goal for this week is to organize the one I use the most often -- not every recipe, just our favorites that we eat over and over.

My other goal for the week is to tidy my laundry room. It hasn't been clean in months. :
#6 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 07:09 PM

Ugh, my dh only gets paid once a month! At the end of the month too... it sucks, but he handles the $$ for the most part. He's on salary so things don't change much (as in, we always have no money).

So... I hope you all are doing better than I am! I have NOT been getting up early like I had planned. I just like my sleep too much. Which means that it is Noon most days before I am showered. (I can't shower at night, I have oily skin/hair and it just feels weird.) I have however, done my meal plans (last week and this week) and shopped from them w/ a list. BUT, we are not eating as healthy as I would like still. It's just really difficult on such a limited budget.

How do you all stay on top of the laundry (or do you)?? Washing and drying is no problem for me, but I hate folding. Most of the time the laundry just stays in the dry or gets brought up and dumped onto our bedroom floor. :

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#7 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 09:00 PM

Hi there!

I'm Shane, mom to Theodore (6 next mont), Issac (4), and Harrison (15mons). I swear that my brain has gone to mush after #3 arrived. I used to be a very prompt and fairly organized person with my life. Now I forget appts ALL the time. Anyone else?

Right now in our household I pretty much try to keep up with the dishes and laundry. We do about 2 loads of laundry a day! I don't use the clothes dryer so it is a constant task.

I'm not able to come up with a specific list of goals but I would like to be able to vacume one a week. Vacumeing makes me pick up first

Will be reading!

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#8 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 10:05 PM

I'm feeling pretty good so far. The house is a total wreck, however, because we had a playdate here this morning and the three kids tore the place apart. But, I have a grocery list and mealplan ready. I went to the local health food store for produce already (they have the best stuff!) and we will go to Whole Foods tonight to finish the shopping. Our meal plan is:

Lunches: (mainly for me because I have a problem with not eating right during the day)
Confetti Rice Salad
Sesame Noodles
Lemon and Garlic Quinoa (this one is already prepped and ready to be assembled)

Dinners:

Grilled Salmon
Turkely Meatloaf
Mushroom and Green Bean Stroganoff over noodles (crockpot dish)
Teriyaki Chicken

I'll make veggie sides depending on what is in the fridge, since we tend to just steam them.

I want to thank Breathe again for her shopping list - I spent last night editing it to make it work for us (although hers was pretty close to what we buy all the time!), and it will be so nice to breeze through the store with it rather than backtracking all over the place.

As far as cleaning goes, I have no specific plan yet. I'll get working on that.

Laundry - I find that I need to do 1-2 loads a day to keep up. The key for us is to put the laundry away! We fold it, load it back in the basket, and then can't unload the dryer because the basket is full. So I'm working diligently to make sure we keep on top of that.

Dh and I usually do a blitz through the house after the kids are asleep - clean the kitchen and pick up the living room and dining room. Doesn't help with deep cleaning, but if we can start the day with a clean kitchen we are ahead of the game.
#9 of 65 Old 01-10-2005, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the new thread, Mel . . . Hey, did you guys see that we made the MDC e-newsletter?

sdgirl, those are some BIG goals! I will be WAY impressed if you just get to the caulking!

oceanbaby, Glad you were able to use the list -- that makes me so happy! We've used it twice now and I think that's the longest I've ever stuck with any organizational trick! (I wanna come have dinner at your house this week!)

I second the after-bed blitz . . . It's pretty imperative that I start each day with a clean kitchen and a picked-up downstairs. And I usually pick up all of ds's toys (he's 3) at the end of the day . . . Anyone want to advise me about when to start getting him to help? It's just so much easier to do it myself, and I think I kind of enjoy it! Is that sick?! It's a concrete task that gives me so much pleasure when it's done.

and re: laundry: Dh puts in a load every night after the rest of us are asleep ( remember, he's the one who gets up in the middle of the nite), then he moves it to the dryer before he leaves for work in the a.m. This way I am sure to have dry dipes, but I usually have to dig them out of the dryer one by one all day long! Then sometime during the day, I try to fold a load, but if I can't, he also does that as he watches Sportscenter, again after we're all asleep. I guess the only part of laundry *I* really do consistently is moving the dirty things into the basket. Oh, and the dirtying, of course . . . milky t-shirts galore! :

confession: We ate out tonite. Went to WF to shop for the extras we couldn't get at the mainstream groc store and had dinner, too. BUT IT WAS SO GOOD! And we didn't mess up our kitchen! sigh. guilty pleasures!
#10 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

My method for laundry is to do it twice a week. I do about four loads on those days, and try my darndest to get it all done, come what may -- that is washed, folded, and put away by the end of the day. The nicest thing about this is that I don't have to think about the laundry at all the other five days of the week. I tried doing a load everyday but I did resent always thinking about it.
#11 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 01:31 AM

I want in!

I don't think I can contribute anything worthwhile at the moment, as I'm sleep-deprived and stressed out and hiding upstairs while DH has to put the kids to bed after not napping AGAIN, but I promise to become a productive member of this thread when my brain returns.

Sounds like a lot of you are SAHMs, anybody working outside the home? I don't think it matters much, just kind of curious.

Just got called in to handle bedtimes anyhow....
#12 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 04:36 AM

Okay. Can't hold back. Gotta dance.

Intro: WAHM (in the middle of the night, which is why I'm posting this at 2:29 a.m. ... because I also procrastinate in the middle of the night :LOL) with almost-7, almost-5, almost-3 and baby.

Have never ever been organized about anything in my life, but have occasionally deluded myself into trying.

And when I've tried have met total smirking and negativity from DH, who insists that even trying to be organized is useless. Man do I hate that.

We're moving in the next few weeks, so possibly this isn't the best time to get organized. Or maybe it is.

Goals for the week:

1. Find apartment to live in.
2. Finish packing all books & video/audio cassettes
3. Have diaper bag packed & ready before going to bed every night.

Am not even going to think about anything else. That diaper bag one is probably the hardest of the three, too ... Why is that, anyway?
#13 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
3. Have diaper bag packed & ready before going to bed every night.
I really need to do that too! I am FOREVER getting somewhere and realizing I didn't pack enough dipes...forgot her paci or her sippy cup or a change of clothes or some other key element of the diaper bag.

I'm working on my control notebook that was described on the previous thread (I want to call it something else though...don't want to delude myself into thinking I can actually control my world ). Spent dd's nap yesterday morning typing up important phone numbers, birthdays/anniversaries, and organizing coupons.

I also bought a cordless vacuum yesterday (a little dustbuster type thing). Vacuuming the stairs and the upstairs hallway have been major chores because I have to drag the canister vac up the stairs as I go. Needless to say...vacuuming that area has not been getting done enough so I'm going to try the little vac and see if it helps.

I can also bring it outside when I clean out my car! Now THAT is going to be an all-day project! Yikes!

Welcome to the new mamas!!

~Erin
#14 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 02:31 PM

I signed myself back up with flylady last night. It worked pretty well for me when I did it 2 years ago. Working on getting the kitchen sink empty to be able to shine it.

Thought I'd mention my morning routine. I get out of bed about 6:45am. Get myself ready and dressed. Make the bed. Eat breakfast. Depending on the time breakfast may have to wait until my eldest is on the bus. Give my eldest his before school massage (he goes to school 3 days a week). He then gets him self dressed for the bus. I read to the three boys until the bus comes (about 7:30). He gets on the bus. If I have not eated, now I will. That is pretty much it. I would like to be able to be consistant with a morning circle with the two younger, but it is just not happening.

I have worked pretty hard this past year to have the boys dressed and their beds made before they come down in the morning. They are irrigular on the bed making but are dressed everyday.

I second wanting to get up before my dh goes to work (6:15am) but like said before, sleep just is winning that for now.

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#15 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Okay, so the first night of intending to organize diaper bag (which is actually my backpack containing all my things for all day) didn't get that far. But ... I did clean out all the papers & receipts & stuff that had accumulated in there over the last month and which I kept avoiding cleaning out ...

So that's a bad news/good news.

Also ... I did wake up 15 minutes earlier and showered before the kids got up (doesn't happen that often) and got all of them dressed *before* bringing them to the corner for DS#1 to get on his schoolbus (often I bring the younger ones down in PJ's, dress 'em after we get back upstairs). Which to me was a feat of morning-organizational greatness.

Aaaahhhhh, taking pleasure in the smaller things. :LOL

Also ... last night matched socks. Took over an hour to match 'em all, had all our socks in a huge drawer all singled out. So last night I matched them. And now we have an organized family sock drawer. (Well, 'family' meaning mine & the kids, as DH won't let me near his socks ... with good reason :LOL)
#16 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 04:50 PM

Hi I am Carey and I am a organizational misfit. I have 2 kids (5year old ds and 18 month old dd) I run a small daycare out of my house. I have started clearing out my clutter ever since Christmas. My mission this week is I am cleaning out all of our closets. I am taking stuff to the consignment shop and hope to get some $ back. I have had really good luck selling kids clothes. The other clothes I am taking to a womens shelter in town and hopefully they can put it to good use. I have to work on toys next. We had way too many to start off with. Then Christmas came, so lots more toys. Yesterday was my ds's birthday, so more toys.
#17 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
I'm working on my control notebook that was described on the previous thread (I want to call it something else though...don't want to delude myself into thinking I can actually control my world ).
This is from "Sink Reflections" by Marla Cillery -- the FlyLady:
"The name Control Journal came from a dear friend that gave her zones nicknames, her kitchen was her Control Tower, just like an airport, and her journal stayed in her kitchen."

I like the idea that my kitchen is like the control tower for our house.

For laundry, I have a hamper that has three sections, one for towles, one for light colored clothes, and one for darks/brights. That way my DH and I keep everything sorted as we take it off and it is really obvious what needs to be done. The kids have a laundry basket in their bathroom, but I bring down every day or two and sort their things. On days I will be home, I start a load on laundry very first thing and usually have it in the dryer by the time breakfast is over. I do a max of two loads a day and try to get it all put away after lunch. I really love my hamper/sorter, which I bought at Target.
#18 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
sep

Hi All...this is a great thread. thanks for starting it. i'd like to join too. DH is in last semester of law school - have DS (9 mo) and i work outside home fulltime. usually pretty organized, but need to do better w/food shopping and prep ahead of time as we rarely eat out and i don't enjoy stopping in at food co-op 5 days a week!

as fas as paper clutter -- love her or hate her, but martha stewart has the right idea about paper, touch it once. so, either read and recycle it or read and then file it. i keep an 'in tray' on top of our filing cabinet in a closet and when it gets more than half full, i file the papers in the cabinet. that way, i can give a quick glance at the paper/article and if it's not something that hits me again, i recycle it instead of keeping for no reason.

no need to keep utility bill receipts once you know the check has cleared b/c you have a record w/your bank statements if you pay by check. UNLESS you have home business and will claim part of utility bills as a deduction. then keep w/tax stuff for 7 yrs.

i throw out credit card receipts once they have cleared my cc statement. and i use QuickBooks too.

now, i'm new to joining a thread, so how do i get back here?
#19 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 06:44 PM

sep
Go to he top of this thread and find thread tools - options will come down - click on subscribe --hope this makes sense!
#20 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 06:55 PM
sep

Wonderful, thank you!!!
#21 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 PM

Welcome sep! FYI, anytime you post a reply to a thread, you are automatically subscribed. The "subscribe" button can be used to get e-mail notification of new posts even if you haven't posted. Enjoy!
#22 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to have a control journal, but that's still a little ways off -- and I'd LOVE to have a hand-held vacuum! I used to have one (when we had two cats) and it was a lifesafer. I think it finally bit the dust -- too much hair.

Getting up earlier (which for me is before 9:00 am) is proving to be helpful. I dropped ds with my mom today and did a secret shopping trip (free lunch and a quick $10) and then went to Walgreen's (excellent two-for-one coupons), an off-price grocery store, and a butcher shop to do the week's shopping. The whole trip took four hours, which was a bit much, but the meat looks excellent and the whole shebang cost about $100. I still want to do much better with my grocery bill, but I am doing a lot better than I was already.
#23 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KS
For laundry, I have a hamper that has three sections, one for towles, one for light colored clothes, and one for darks/brights. That way my DH and I keep everything sorted as we take it off and it is really obvious what needs to be done.
YES , I love mine!! It is actually in the laundry room (off the kitchen), which makes it really easy to throw a load in when a section gets full. I think I do a load or two every 2-3 days. It really just depends when they fill up. I also do a load of diapers every 2-3 days. I'm in the same boat as the others who have trouble getting it put away. I'm going to try to make that a priority to do every night after the kids are asleep. I really should get that Before Bed (Evening) Routine list back up so I (& DH) can remember what needs to be done (and DO IT!!).

Quote:
...paper, touch it once. so, either read and recycle it or read and then file it.
I've heard this before, but what about things you have to deal with? I recently cleared off my desk & came up with a whole file folder of things like: LLL membership renewal (write cheque, mail); eye dr. receipt (fill out claim form, have dh take to work & copy, send in claim); info on obtaining a credit report (copy 2 pieces of id, write letter, etc, although I recently saw I can now do it on line if I want to pay); info & forms to do a Net Worth Statement; form I requested about 2 years ago to get records from the hospital about dd's birth (complete & return); people & companies I need to call about various things; etc. etc....
When do you deal with this stuff?? I should add it to my evening routine & try to deal with even one a week would be better than this!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#24 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 PM

Hmmm . . . sounds like no one else has to do laundry everyday except me (or my dh, I should say! ) Do you guys think it would be better to spend the money to get more diapers so we don't have to? I mean, I don't go thru all my dipes in one day, but it takes us so long to get them washed, dried, and out of the dryer, that if we miss a day, I end up really scrambling. So is it smart to invest in more, or should we just tough it out? (can't say if we're thru having babies . . . but a big part of me hopes we aren't!)
#25 of 65 Old 01-11-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
This is from "Sink Reflections" by Marla Cillery -- the FlyLady:
"The name Control Journal came from a dear friend that gave her zones nicknames, her kitchen was her Control Tower, just like an airport, and her journal stayed in her kitchen."

I like the idea that my kitchen is like the control tower for our house.:
Ooooo...thanks! Totally different perspective...now I like the idea of a Control Journal!! :LOL
#26 of 65 Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe
So is it smart to invest in more, or should we just tough it out?
It probably wouldn't hurt to get more. I don't know what kind you use, but you could probably get some decent ones second hand either through someone you know, a consignment/thrift store or in a Buy&Sell-type newspaper. I got two dozen brand new plus the pail, mesh bag & soap through the Buy&Sell from someone who just never used them. I paid $100 for diapers that normally run $12-$15 each (I think) .
Anyway, it can't hurt to look around & it's so worth it to have that leeway so you don't have to scramble .

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#27 of 65 Old 01-12-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe
Do you guys think it would be better to spend the money to get more diapers so we don't have to? I mean, I don't go thru all my dipes in one day, but it takes us so long to get them washed, dried, and out of the dryer, that if we miss a day, I end up really scrambling.
hmmmmm... Should Breathe get more diapers? On one hand, if you can afford more diapers it would make your life easier. At the same time, you will still need a better system to really stay on top of it, or you will just have more diapers half way washed. :LOL

Where do your diapers get stuck?

BTW I can't believe how much laundry I wash. The clothes for 4 people, not to mention sheets, towels, and rags, is a lot! It is worse with winter clothes -- all those bulky layers and socks. I love summer with short, tees and no socks.
#28 of 65 Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 AM

Breathe -
I would invest in the diapers if I were you. I love getting fluff in the mail, but can't afford to splurge often . You are definitely not the only one who does laundry every day and I have enough diapers to wash them every other day or so! I think my dh changes clothes about 3 times a day between work, relaxation and working out. When dh works out he cross country skis or snow-shoes, so I have long johns and lots of layers to wash - gets a little overwhelming.

BTW, I think I subscribed, but did not introduce myself (my signature pretty much says everything about our family). I have a serious organizational problem . I tried flylady for a while, but just never really got into her routine. I just ordered the Motivated Moms chore planner, and am having slightly more success with that ( www.motivatedmoms.com ) . So glad I found you ladies - hopefully we can cheer each other on!

Michelle - Mom to 3 very wonderful and very active boys   
#29 of 65 Old 01-12-2005, 11:06 AM

I'll be interested to hear how the motivate moms planner works for you.

Breathe...I'd get a few more diapers. I used to have to do wash every day and it really wore me down. I bought about 6 more diapers and now I can do wash every 2 to 2 1/2 days. Makes a BIG difference!

I spent most of yesterday scrubbing the fronts of my kitchen cabinets, my fridge and my dishwasher. It was pretty Both DH and I are very animated chefs and whatever we are cooking tends to fly everywhere. And neither of us is good about really cleaning up after ourselves.

Week and a half to playgroup...I still have MUCH cleaning to do but I feel like I'm making progress.

One thing I've been doing is spending a lot less time on MDC. I used to hop on during all of DD's naps but now I'm doing a quick check in the morning (now) and one after dinner (when DH is home) and I'm getting a lot more done.
#30 of 65 Old 01-12-2005, 12:17 PM

Two tips: I wash diapers once a week b/c I have a big bag of diapers and a dozen wraps or so. I'm on my third boy so I've collected over the years. It's worth the money esp if there may be more kiddies to come. Paperwork wise I have an in-basket where I put everything unless it needs IMMEDIATE action. Then every Wednesday I go through every paper in there and pay bills, update the calendar, make phone calls or put back in the basket for next week if it can wait. I file what I need to save and throw out (!) what isn't necessary. I also send out all my greeting cards on Wednesday. (Buy these in bulk froma 50% off store). Even if it takes all day to do it with the interruptions, at least I know that papers are all in one place and get looked at so no stress. Being organized is a great stress reliever and worth whatever intial work is involved.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page