i want to see the world... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-20-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone do a lot of traveling with children? we don't have much money, but we do have some free time in the summers. if anyone has been in the same boat and traveled to several countries with kids on the cheap, i'd love to hear about your experiences. or is this impossible?
#2 of 7 Old 01-21-2005, 12:04 AM

We've done some international travel with the kids. My DH is British from N. Ireland and my kids have been to Ireland and the UK. We lived in Canada for awhile (Quebec and Ontario).

I think the flights are the killer on international travel. There's just no way around it. We've decided to spend our vacations exploring the national parks here in the US and camp. Much cheaper and very, very fun. Have you thought about Quebec? There is lots to do and Montreal feels like France.

Where do you guys want to go?
#3 of 7 Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 AM

i totally understand where your coming from, ever since i was little I wanted to travel internationally, but my babe is only three months now so i have to stay around here for a while. I think the age ur kids are it would probably be ok to travel overseas, if your up for the challenge, it just depends on the children, I have always wanted to go to europe and find an intentional community to stay with for the summer time, that seems like it would be affordable, usually those places will let u stay there if u help out a little....if that seems like something u'd like, check out www.ic.org. this shows all communities worldwide. goodluck
#4 of 7 Old 01-21-2005, 02:24 AM
Banned

It is much cheaper to travel in the "off" season for particular destination.
#5 of 7 Old 01-21-2005, 05:28 PM

It's actually really easy to travel with a baby. Our easiest trip to the UK as parents was when we only had one child and she was 3 months old. She was BF, co-sleeping, and liked the sling.

The hardest age is the toddler years. There's really nothing quite like a transAtlantic flight with a tot.

Once kids are past naps, have some self-control even when they are tired, and can keep themselves amused with something for a little while, it goes back to being easy. For most kids this would be 3-4 years old.
#6 of 7 Old 01-30-2005, 04:39 PM

We haven't done much in the way of international travel because of the expense, but we've done tons of traveling in the country with out baby; ranging from car trips (easier before they're mobile). plane trips, and train trips (easiest if there is a kid car). We've gone camping, explored some of our National Parks, traveled to diffenert cities and states.

I love traveling, and while it took some adjusting to go with a baby, I find it very rewarding. i always keep in mind that she does not have the tolerence to sit still as long as we can, so we try not to go on marathon drives. It helps us that we co-sleep: no matter where we go, "bed" is with mama and papa. We're familiar, so she does not get frightened.

I'm excited to do some international traveling some day. I'll keep my eyes open here for good advice.
#7 of 7 Old 01-31-2005, 12:57 AM

My dh and I love to travel... both of us traveled the US and Mexico, and lived in many states before we met... then traveled a lot together before the kids were born.

We brought our older son to Costa Rica for 6 months when he was 2. It was great. We did a lot of traveling there and in Nicaragua and Panama.

Actually, it was pretty easy w/him along... a bit more "stuff" though w/ diapers, toys, etc...

He was awesome on planes, buses, taxis, hiking, etc...truly open to the experience.

We have taken a shorter road trip w/ both boys... it was a bit more work w/ 2.

We are planning a trip to Europe sometime in the next year... and back to Latin America to live in the next 2-3 years.

We always travel on the cheap! It is always more real, more interesting... by this I mean we never stay in resort-type places... often rent cheap cabanas, camp, inexpensive motels, sublet a place, stay at hostels, etc...
The Lonely Planet guide books have great info on many different types of places to stay in just about every country around the world. I highly reccommend these books!
Planes can be expensive so shop around!!
Renting a car is a good idea if you plan to see a broad area, taxis can get pricey!
I've done tons of hitchhiking as well... which is cheap, but you may not want to w/ a baby... although I did some w/ ds...
travel by bus or train can save a lot of money... buy your food at the market and not resteraunts... if dining out, check out where the locals go...
Hope these tips help.

I say go for it if you have the time and money!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page