#61 of 162 Old 12-22-2002, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Gully2505
Mystic~nice to see you...

I feel like that character on SNL who says:

"I am good enough, I am smart enough.........

You sure are

I have been trying to keep my fiber intake up. So when I have carbs, I try to make sure there's fiber in them. or I'm eating fiber at the same time. Like I'll let myself have a piece of chocolate if I'm eating oatmeal orbrown rice. And I try to avoid white rice and pasta because it doesn't have much fiber. but I'll eat whole grain pasta, which doesn't taste as good or cook as well so I just avoid pasta and go for the brown rice, which I like better than white rice, anyway. Hm, it's not so much the taste of whole grain pasta, it's the texture, it breaks easily, yada yada. And no white breads - bagels, sour dough, etc. That's kinda sad, but it's part of the plan, so ok. Sometimes I'll have a bread that has whole wheat added, but it's not the same as a real whole wheat bread. Those straight on starchy carbs w/no fiber tend to make my blood sugar react, so that's another motivator.

Works pretty well, so far.
#62 of 162 Old 12-22-2002, 08:24 PM

It feels so good today (Sunday) to not have to feel guilty eating a Christmas cookie that I have looked at all week and wanted. I enjoyed a cookie and a small bowel of ice cream and have more motivation to do well tomarrow.

I am looking forward to Christmas day but feel like by allowing myself to eat what I want I will better be able to keep it all in perspective.

Thank you Gully~ for the article submission place. I will try to post there later this week. I haven't worried about publicity of my articles too much because I am published all over the internet already. Last month I had 1,800 hit on my own little free website. I know I'm way off subject again

Looking forward to a fresh start with a new week tomarrow and I know by taking "everything moderation" I will be able to succeed and feel incontrol of my wellbing.: Ok I guess that is kind of a sorry motivational statement.
#63 of 162 Old 12-23-2002, 03:51 AM

i'm back. sorry to dissapear. bad storm put our phone line out of service all this time. i have really missed this thread. some crazy emotional rollercoasters around here. overall, i have been grouchy and snappish and not feeling like a very good mom or partner, but stuff is looking up. managed not to binge through it all, which feels likea major miracle, not that i've been perfect, but maintaining a healthy relationship w/ food and body, well OK, within a *normal* range anyway, which is a big step for me, something i've wanted so long.....thinking of you, SOFTHEART, welcome aboard. if you ever need to pm someone who's been there, you never need to feel embarrassed.

one big thing i did for myself today was bought some clothes that fit. all my stuff that's big enough is torn and threadbare, and i didnt realize how much this was effecting my self image. we need clothes that look and feel good on the sizes we are NOW. does anyone else put off buying clothes in hopes of a thinner self? it makes financial sense, but in the end is self defeating, because i wont stop eating so much sugar until i feel good about myself...
#64 of 162 Old 12-23-2002, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunbaby
one big thing i did for myself today was bought some clothes that fit. ... we need clothes that look and feel good on the sizes we are NOW. does anyone else put off buying clothes in hopes of a thinner self? ...
Yup, I do that. Not just because of the pg stuff - did that, I guess.

Good for you, Sunbaby!! And that's personal gratification without food, lasts longer, too. Cool!

#65 of 162 Old 12-23-2002, 10:45 AM

I was thinking about gully's post:
Quote:
Everyone~I have been doing one more new thing, no food is bad, but with every meal/snack I have some fruits and vegies with it.
When I read MysticHealerMom's post about Fiber foods.

Anyways, that is great girls! If you eat an apple eat it with the skins on. The fiber helps burn the carb. cals. and helps digestion.
A salad at a meal is a good filler so you tend to eat less beside all the other benefits of the nutrients and fiber. Yes by increasing your fiber intake it is a great way to cut digestable calories.

Wow we can do this all! You all are such great support! My goal today is to stay really busy so I won't think about food. Make myself some celery sticks this morning to grab from in the frig.
#66 of 162 Old 12-23-2002, 10:54 AM

sunbaby glad to see you and glad you were able to keep it together through a tough time.

About the clothing thing. I do it too. I was so determined to fit in my old cloths that I wore 2 or 3 postpartum outfits until they were worn out. My husband was making coments when were going somewhere"Your going to wear that?!
: "

I couldn't part with some jeans that were 2 sizes too small but have hopes to be able to wear some 1 size too small.

I took a couple of the one's 2 sizes too small, opened up the side seams and put in about 2 inches of fabric. They fit beautifully now and really look cool too, I think. Also bought a few things to feel better about myself.
#67 of 162 Old 12-24-2002, 12:02 AM

hey- sorry to have been absent for so long- crazy getting ready for the holidays time.

Welcome, softheart! We have the gazelle freestyle elite. it is a nice cheep exercise machine that is no impact. they have a fairly cheep trial offer if you think you would like it. We never used our treadmill or at least rarely and the ski machine never was used either this one we use even when the kids are sleeping in the same room. I don't know how well it would work with the babe awake because it does have movement but at naptime it would be fine.

Gully- I am game to join into the positive self talk this week. I hope I can do it.

About not weighing- how about making the most of keeping your goals or working towards them? Like making a point of posting when you accomplished exercising first thing in the am rather than any goals you might have not achieved...

LOVE that idea about having a fruit or veg whenever you eat something- well not as healthy. I need to try that. Maybe that can be something we try in January?

Smeta- don't worry about the exercise- just keep thinking about it and work on it and it will happen. You were able to do it one day last week

Sunbaby- we missed you glad you are back!

I am still not exercising- I keep trying but just as I get a start I am pulled away- I will try again tonight. Still doing everything else though, so yippee!
#68 of 162 Old 12-24-2002, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spryte
LOVE that idea about having a fruit or veg whenever you eat something- well not as healthy. I need to try that. Maybe that can be something we try in January?
You could also eat brown rice, oatmeal or beans, lots of fiber there. I try not to eat fruit with something else, esp protein or candy, because I think it has too much water and sugar to fiber ratio, and I think it does cause fermentation in the gut when combined. I eat fruit by itself, usually first thing in the morning to avoid trouble.

Cheers!!

Lori
#69 of 162 Old 12-24-2002, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Holidays Mamas~

See you later in the week!

Yes lets start the eating vegies/fruits in Jan if you'd like!
#70 of 162 Old 12-25-2002, 01:46 AM

Hello all! Thank you so much for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. It does help to talk about it, and it does help that it's to strangers a little bit, too! Just wanted to say that I'm doing great! Haven't binged, and it hasn't been all that difficult not to either (unlike times in the past when I've tried to stop)--I'll chalk that up to the protein in the morning (which kinda takes my mind off food for a while) and just a true committment to change my life and love myself.

Merry Christmas everyone! Here's to a healthy holiday. May we find much love and pleasure in the food on our tables and the dear faces around them!
#71 of 162 Old 12-29-2002, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Good going Softheart!!

OK all, my dh just went to buy me a treadmill that we cant afford. I intend to walk each am after breakfast and each evening after dinner. (As per the hilton head over 35 diet) I dont believe in diets per se, but the book has some really good info.

TTFN!

Love to all this holiday season.

Gully

#72 of 162 Old 01-02-2003, 01:18 PM

I fell off the wagaon completely over the holiday week. Worked some overtime shifts and ate anything and everything to stay awake, then got sick but feeling better now.

I feel we have an edge over other people making new year's resolutions. We have a pretty good idea of whether and how to stay on our plan since we tried it out in Dec.

Is there still interest to go with the plan? Should I put in a recap?
#73 of 162 Old 01-02-2003, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

STill swingin here. Fell off the wagon too, but have started a new exercise/walking program in the am and evening. Things are going well

PS, No treadmill, they were out of the 'budget' brand, and I took it as a sign from 'the heavens' that I cant afford it.

*but I do have a pair of tennis shoes and feet with which to walk*

#74 of 162 Old 01-02-2003, 06:55 PM

there are 3 things that I think would work to make a good weight loss program or at least get your body in shape.

1. Start the day with a high protein, low or no carbohydrate meal.

Like an omlet with cheese and lunch meat. No toast on the side. or a soft boiled egg. or something not necessarily a big breakfast just a protein breakfast.

2. Either before breakfast of within an hour of breakfast some kind of an exercise routine that raises your heart rate.

It could be as simple as running around the house, sit-ups, jumping jacks. Anything just to get your metabolism going.

3. No eating at least 2 hours or better 3 hours before bed.

The reasoning for:

#1. Keeps your body in the Glycogen dominant (burning fat) phase a little longer. If you eat a carbohydrate too early in the morning after fasting during the night it throws you into a Glucose dominant Phase. Your body will say "hay my host is starving me I better store some fat".

#2. Exercising while in the Glycogen dominant phase causes your body to burn fat instead of muscle.

#3. Is that Carbohydrates before bedtime causes your body to have decreased Human Growth Hormone production during sleep. HGH helps the body build and repair muscle.

2 or 3 hours after breakfast resume eating regular meals and snacks. Try to eat lots of green and raw vegetables and fruit. Fiber is a big helper to the digestive system and to burning carbohydrate calories. Try to eat whole grain breads and cereals. Avoid refined sugar as much as possible. Generally eat anything you want just try to make healthy choices. To some that means avoiding fat to others it means watching carbohydrate intake. Eat generous portions of high protein foods especially if you are trying build muscle and loose weight.

These are all my own hypotheses, some scientifically proven and some not. I am counting on you to give me feed back as to whether it is a realistic plan and whether it works.
#75 of 162 Old 01-04-2003, 04:27 AM

i'm still in, just quiet because we've been so busy that i never get online until too late to feel like posting.

well, i didnt fall off the wagon, i jumped. it seem like whenever things are crazy i can hold on till they look calmer, then i have all this residual stress, so i take a deep breath and i EAT. its like i need a place to put it all, and the food soaks it up. clearly something i am working on, but not the worst thing in the world when i keep it to like one or two nights.

i have also noticed that since i've been eating carefully, things seem more crazy- probably because food isnt there to mask it all- i'm definately more grumpy.

i accumulated enough gift money from my birthday and christmas to join an inexpensive gym, just to get me through the winter. how i will find care for dd is another issue, not sure i'm too hip to the childcare they provide- although maybe it will be worth the compromise now and then- the people seem kind, just kinda the tv and fast food types.

happy new year. high hopes.
#76 of 162 Old 01-04-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunbaby
i have also noticed that since i've been eating carefully, things seem more crazy- probably because food isnt there to mask it all- i'm definately more grumpy.
In one of those books Oprah wrote about her struggles with diet (the one with the personal trainer that had an accompanying log book) he said that they were running one day and she looked streseed adn when he asked she said she had a headache - and he asked her if she got them often, and she said, no, it was her first one. He thought that was amazing, but she'd been so successful medicating herself with food that she avoided stress headaches and the like. Food does provide a kick of beta-endorphines, which are natural pain killers, they help with both physical and emotional pain. So, if you cut back on your food in take, esp the "fell good" foods, it could back lash and then you've got to actually deal with your problems instead of masking them. But, while this is a hard step, and I had been there, took me a few tries at it, and I probably still go back and forth with it, it's much better to have real coping mechanisms for your issues than short term ones that have their own baggage.

Best wishes!! and hang in there!!

#77 of 162 Old 01-04-2003, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In one of those books Oprah wrote about her struggles with diet (the one with the personal trainer that had an accompanying log book) he said that they were running one day and she looked streseed adn when he asked she said she had a headache - and he asked her if she got them often, and she said, no, it was her first one. He thought that was amazing, but she'd been so successful medicating herself with food that she avoided stress headaches and the like. Food does provide a kick of beta-endorphines, which are natural pain killers, they help with both physical and emotional pain.
Very interesting Mystic, You gals are so smart! I have been getting many more headaches. But, I often wake up with them?

I am in the process of reading that book now. I got it at half.com for really cheap and got the log book too.

Garden~Im still here with ya, just tweaking things a bit to find what works best for me. I am beginning in stages this time?? Starting with the main focus on the exercise part and moving into the eating plan gradually. I will keep you all posted. Hope you guys will too.

I also fell off the wagon last time with the holidays, so I am just getting back into the swing of things. I have been walking round the house 2 X per day and doing weights for upper bod once daily.

Softheart: I am proud of you. Thanks for coming hear to share. I think the main goal hear is to "love ourselves" however we find that to be.

I have been doing what smeta suggested too, and saying positive things to myself while I work out, thats been fun and uplifting.

Glad to have you all here. You are such a wealth of information and support.

Denise
#78 of 162 Old 01-04-2003, 04:29 PM

I am graduating myself back into it. I find when I feel deprived like not being able to eat what the rest of the family is eating on the week-ends it sets me up for failure so... I did have a pancake for breakfast today but with-out syrup. During the week during our "Normal Routine days" I don't seem to have too much trouble staying on our program.

I have noticed that during the cold weather there are days I don't even stick my head out the door so I feel like for me I definetly need more exercise.

Have any of you ever used those elastic stretching bands as an assist to exercise? You can use them on upper and lower body. Have been wondering about them. Looks like it would be an in-expensive exercise machine.

I am glad to see you all back and still trying to do what is best for mind and body.
#79 of 162 Old 01-04-2003, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

A dozen reasons to get more active/healty in 2003. (Taken from the YMCA news letter)

1. Physical inactivity : is a major cause of heart disease

2. " " .... of adult onset diabetes

3. " " .... colon cancer

4. " " .... hypertension and weight problems

5. " " .... creates health risks similar to smoking

6. Physical activity : reduces stress and anxiety

7. helps people facing depression

8. leads to less hip fractures later in life

9. decreases risk of prostate cancer

10. plays a substantial role in developing bone mass during early childhood and adolescence.

11. increases energy

12. makes weight controll easier

Garden~I've not seen those bands, sounds like a good idea though.

Off to walk!!!!!!!!!

PS I will probably check in every few days as I am limiting my (eh-em) time on the ol' arse...

#80 of 162 Old 01-06-2003, 11:35 AM

Gully~ You are so great! Such great motivation! I finally feel like my motivation is really there and for the right reasons. To do what is best for my body because I deserve it.

You are so motivated Gully~ I'll bet you are getting somewhere now?!

Time to get moving, I'll Check in with you all later.
#81 of 162 Old 01-06-2003, 06:21 PM

Here's a book my naturopath recommended, she reviewed it and liked it a lot, and it sounds kinda cool.

Thought ya'll might appriciate it.

Stealth Health by Evelyn Tribole

Cheers,

Lori
#82 of 162 Old 01-10-2003, 03:18 AM

okay- long time no post

I have been SO out of it and ashamed to admit I actually haven't been following the plan- I was hitting at least two of the four until today. Today nothing zip zero zilch.

Hopefully coming here and fessing up will make it easier to start back up tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing?
#83 of 162 Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 PM

Hey Spryte - don't dispair. Checking in with your priorities is a great idea! You can get back on track.

Best wishes,

Lori
#84 of 162 Old 01-10-2003, 06:39 PM

Hi spryte, Just keep trying. Gully has finally gotten through to me So I can say I have stayed on the plan pretty good this week.

I got one of the elastic resistance exercise bands and have been using it on my legs for exercise. I think it is going to help. I feel more determined than ever to make it work this time. I am sooo tired of not feeling good about myself image.

I also finished an article on wait loss tips and tricks I can't wait to share with you all. My editor said she will not publish it until the end of this month. I'll let you know when it is up
T I keep having trouble with my e-mail links working. Anyone else having that trouble?
#85 of 162 Old 01-10-2003, 06:49 PM

I don't normally publish links because I haven't ever figured out that darn renaming the link so it isn't 100 characters long thing. Sorry.

Gardenrn and mhm- thanks for the boost.

Spent some of our Target gift card moolah on the windsor pilates tapes. Maybe they will help with the exercise portion?

I too am tired of not liking my body image. I think being here and knowing you all will help.
#86 of 162 Old 01-11-2003, 03:44 AM

Hi,

I don't know if this is inspiring or not - I mean, it's not inspiring in the spiritual sense, but in the shock of reality sense.

This helps me to be reminded because I keep forgetting that there is an epidemic...

The Obesity Gap

I'd really like to appologize in advance if this isn't helpful...

Lori

btw, Spryte - to publish a link, you click on the http button, then type in somethingthat indicates the name of the link, like "Obesity Gap", then hit return, then put in the link. It has the http part hilited, but if your link includes the http part, you can take that out. Hope that makes sense...
#87 of 162 Old 01-11-2003, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Spryte~hang in there. We will all have our days/weeks, right? Glad to see you back.

Mystic~thanks for the article, makes ya think.

Garden~looking forward to your article. Im not having link trouble??? Hope your 'link' issue gets solved. Do you have AOL? sometimes that can be problematic to my understanding.

Things are rockin here, still walking each day and starting to count fat next week as per 'make the connection' I wont count calories though...

Crying bean, gotta run!
D
#88 of 162 Old 01-11-2003, 04:08 PM

Hello!!! Guess what? I'm still doing great! Monday will be one whole month free from bulimia and that's my longest in years and years...And the more time that passes without it, the easier it seems, like the possibilty of doing that to myself is just floating further away into the past. One thing that really helped was to take that suggestion in one of Gully's link (Jane Latimer's, I think) where whenever you feel like binging you instead find some "obscenely selfish" thing to do for yourself--several times I've gone into my room (locked the door, dh with dd...) and lounged with herbal tea and a novel instead of running to the kitchen. It felt great!! Also the no night eating thing is helping because that's when I used to binge a lot...

I wanted to see if anyone else is dealing with a couple of issues:

1) Sometimes my stomache feels empty at bedtime and I have a much harder time falling asleep that way! I've heard this is because its so sedating to overeat that it puts you to sleep, and its better for you to sleep without having to digest food while you're resting, but...Sometimes I feel so wide awake! Any suggestions?

2) I have this thing about not wasting food. So I'm feeling great because bulimia is the ultimate waste of food!!! But its really hard for me to stop eating when I'm full sometimes, because I hate the idea of that food having to be thrown away. I've started cooking smaller amounts, and freezing leftovers...But I was just wondering if anyone else struggles with this. We were kinda poor when I was little, and I obsess over being thifty (when I'm not guiltily overspending...). Somehow I think my issues with scarity vs. overconsumption are related to my struggles with bulimia and food, and I feel like I want to work on healing what feels like this neurosis about not wasting resources/worrying about money while going on consumption "binges" in any form. Does anyone else who struggles with food have other issues with "consumption" or "restriction" in terms of money/resources, too? It feels deeply related to me. And I'm not sure what to do with those feelings. Like it's obvious to me that its time to learn to not throw up, but how do I grow and mature in terms of my money issues?

One idea that's floating in my head is that its time for me to both trust in abundance and not obsess about having enough/wasting, and also that's it s time to become the kind of person who gives more to others in need....

Your thoughts, pretty please?

In other news, I got a trampoline, and dd loves it (me too!).

Thanks for being there, mamas!
#89 of 162 Old 01-11-2003, 08:29 PM

way to go, softheart. i never thought about my food issues as they might relate to other types of consumption- i def do know i am constantly trying to resist being seduced by our consumerist culture, which is often a big task. i def do feel guilty when i forget to keep myself in check. i think maybe the excesses of the pervasive culture force us all to work with these issues, unless we want to just go with the flow and become a part of it. interesting that you brought it up. i'll think on it some more.

i have really been enjoying the gym. never worked w/ weights before- i think they're really good for me, as i tend to be strong at cardio, but weak muscularly. i figure it's good to start warding off that old osteoperosis. i'm high risk. plus, i find the weight work very grounding, and i tend to be, well, um, lost in space.

food wise, i'm not very motivated. i have been craving all the wrong stuff. i feel very bored and depressed, and that contributes to wanting to eat *fun* foods, to make up for what i'm not getting elsewhere. same tasks, day in, day out. sigh. i'm not bingeing though, i mean i feel normal, and with my history, that is a comforting fact.
#90 of 162 Old 01-12-2003, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Softheart~I was touched to read your post. I know where you are coming from with the waste thing!!! For me it was others in my life who were obsessed about wasting food. My grandmother always made sure we belonged to the 'clean plate club' before we could have dessert. I sat for hours on end in front of food that was repulsive to me. I was taught from a very early age not to listen to my body about anything. I think we are poisoned from a very young age by a society that has conflicting values. i.e. the beer/bikini clad babe commerical followed by the pizza hut extra cheese, 2 for 1 deal, commercial. Kind of what sunbaby was saying.

*I have decided that eating more then our bodies need to maintain a healthy weight, is also a waste, (duh right?) but it is an unhealthy waste at that. By overeating we are putting on fat that can lead to cancer, diabetes, etc.. or I suppose some can 'purge' and be at risk for other cancers and health problems (waste, waste, waste) either way. Therefore, give it over gladly to the compost, or garbage disposal or 'dogs' if you are like me..

I do relate to you on the money front. I cant do anything with out guilt, but thats the scandinavian way right? I am gonna have to mull that one over for a while....

Softheart said~
Quote:
We were kinda poor when I was little, and I obsess over being thifty (when I'm not guiltily overspending...). Somehow I think my issues with scarity vs. overconsumption are related to my struggles with bulimia and food, and I feel like I want to work on healing what feels like this neurosis about not wasting resources/worrying about money while going on consumption "binges" in any form.
Wow, what an interesting coorelation. I will have to give that some thought. We also grew up very poor, so I can recall not really having much of anything to eat at times....??? Im gonna have to mull that over a bit.

Spryte, Garden, other mamas lurking or otherwise....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page