Love Thyself - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 162 Old 02-05-2003, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didnt take it as a razzing, your the greatest!!!

I think your one smart cookie too!
#122 of 162 Old 02-05-2003, 05:36 PM

Hi there,

Out of the shadows to add my 2cents...

I talked to my doc (naturopath/nutritionist) about the blood type diet and she said that there weren't enough confirming evidence from other sources that this was true. Also, I purchased a little book about my blood type, then borrowed the book from the lib with all the stuff, and they conflicted! I thought it made sense to me after reading the little book, but the big book said nearly the opposite of what was writen in the other book. Same authors, etc. hmm. I decided, for myself, as well, that it just didn't have enough stuff that rang true for me. And there's so much out there, it's good to let things fall by the way side that aren't contributing to the overall picture.

Also, about fat v carbs - I just wanted to say that the diets are more alike than they are not. The basics, whole foods and unrefined stuff is there in both of them. And the low carb stuff doesn't say not to have grains, just have whole grains, and avoid refined grains. Some people do have alergies to glycemic grains, which includes wheat. And another thing about the fat is - to acknowedge the difference between bad fats and quality fats. Bad fats are of course the fried ones, because they're denatured and sometimes toxic. Other bad fats are the man made ones - the trans-fats, which are listed in the ingredients as hydrolated fats, those "cheaper" fats that have hydrogen added to them. Quality fats are sometimes listed as "oils" to distinguish them - but they usually aren't the cooking oils; evening primrose, borage, fish oils (but only if you can get quality, untained fish body oils, very hard to find). A lot of the "light" cooking oils just aren't that healthy. I use almond oil, peanut oil (but some folks are alergic to peanut), olive and avocado. Expreller pressed so they don't overhead while processing and defeat the purpose of cooking at lower temps.

I love bread, too. And it's not forbiden, it's just that even whole wheat bread will tend to have refined flower, w/whole what or whole wheat flower added so that it's soft and tasty. Read your bread labels, they are notorius for harboring those bad food additives, sugars and bad fats.

Avoid margarine and aspartame (nutrasweet) especially. Here's a link to a discussion about coffee that I circumvented to discuss aspartame and it's evils: Coffee Question

Also, I don't think that fruits are bad. I don't think most low carb diets forbid them during the long term plan, just the two week induction. Depends on the diet. I just think that folks tend to consider them interchangable with veggies, and of course they're different, and fruits are also very suseptible to environmental toxins. And are high in sugar content and low in proteins and complex carbs that would combat the glucose reaction. So, moderation is key.

Been enjoying keeping up with everything. I'm doing ok. Had to drop dairy from my pg diet, it was making me feel awful. Glad I figured it out. It's only been 4 days but I feel great so far and I'm pretty convinced that must have been what's going on.

Lori
#123 of 162 Old 02-05-2003, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hey gang. I have read every diet plan out there and I know all the therorys. I've tried food combining etc... The only thing that has worked for me 'long term' is to watch my fat intake....

I do think we are all unique though, and need to to what is best for us, right?

Mystic~interesting about the blood type conflicts.?? I realize the no grain thingy is different then the whole grain thingy.

Dr. Mercola is one of those who suggests a 'grainless' diet. Yet one more option to consider...??? (link below)

Good day all!

The HORRORS of grains
#124 of 162 Old 02-05-2003, 08:43 PM

hi Ms Gully,

Yup, what works for you is the bottom line. Didn't intend to imply that you should change what works, just wanted to add some thoughts

Even if someone does choose to go low fat, sometimes you do end up getting some, and it's good to know the difference between what to allow and what to avoid, imho

thanks for the link. for every guru who promotes one thing, someone has the opposite idea inky No wonder we're all so confused!

Lori
#125 of 162 Old 02-05-2003, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Lori,
I know you were not trying to change my mind. You and garden and the other mamas here are a wealth of info. And, I appreciate any feedback.

Mystic, I just read your entire post, thanks again for all the info. You guys are so smart.

#126 of 162 Old 02-06-2003, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hey gang~I hope Im not coming across as 'testy'. I really appreciate your knowlege and education about getting enough protien (which I overlooked for some time). I didnt mean to imply that I know everything by any means. I honestly didn't get a chance to read gardens link or mystics entire post, so I couldn't respond 'personally' KWIM?

I am premenopausal can you tell! Dang, I need progesterone (which I also learned here) making an apt with my dr tomorrow as I cant afford a homeopath. AARGH

Love to all,
D
#127 of 162 Old 02-06-2003, 03:46 AM

oh, gully. maybe you just need a Holiday. trying to get rid of your ditty? must you erase the sign of my love? sigh. ok. just pm DDDDC. they'll take it away, i think. hey, have you tried taking evening primrose oil capsules? it really helps with hormonal stuff.

the whole blood type theory doesnt work for me. supposedly i'm a high carb, low protien type- but no way. i'm from the same 'school' as Mystic- tons and tons of good fats and lots of protien, with carbs as close to their original form as possible. less wheat overall is good for me. the real killer for me is sugar, classic sugar as well as white bread.
#128 of 162 Old 02-06-2003, 06:16 AM

Ms Gully, we love ya, even when you're hormonal

(warning, Lori's opinion!) I'm reading the grain thing. I can't say I agree. I think there's a disconnect between his statement about the amount of grains everyone eats and those that are recommended - for one, I think that the food pyramid is a giant load of hooey. I think it's simply a strategy to promote the food that is primarily grown in the US and promote using that resource - I could go on about why, but I'll leave it for another time. I think the majority of the grains in the std amer diet is not from whole, unprocessed or a natural state. for example, pastas are almost always refined because whole grain pastas just don't cook that well or taste that great (ymmv), and as stated, pasta is a major contributor to the grain/cereal/carb area of thought. IF the majority of us truly were eating whole grains, it would be a whole different kind of scene - the choices wouldn't be 90% refined. And, this is where I might diverge from the pack - to say we aren't intended to eat grains is imho, naieve. The argument had to do with speculation about evolution. I don't believe that we haven't evolved to the point where we can eat grains. Some theorists would think that we haven't evolved past eating only raw foods (and I surely don't intend at this point to argue against the value of raw food) my point is that we don't tolerate raw grains very well. But, we do tolerate cooked grains quite well, as evidenced by the gut flora and it's ability to thrive on bran from grain, but raw grains are not well tolerated. There's a whole lot more to the theories, and of course, counter arguments But for now this is the course of thought I'm undertaking and when I get to a point where it either doesn't work or I hit a fork on the thinking, I'll revise. So far, progress is bright.

so, again, your milage may vary, we all come to where we are from different directions. if you haven't been down my path and seen the markers I've seen, it's a little more difficult to get an idea what I'm talking about. Everyone has their own journey

I really dig discussing these things, tho, everyone has so much different informaton. Making decisions in a vacuum is not condusive to learning.

thanks again for starting this thread, Gully.

Lori
#129 of 162 Old 02-06-2003, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gully, Sunbaby, MysticHealerMom, and all the other that are posting here, I think you all are the smart ones. I have learned soooo much from this thread!!

Sorry Gully~that you are having hormone troubles. I am a believer that they are very real, and cause your body physical as well as emotional upset. Be patient with your body.

Mystic~ I still need to go check out your link.

We, my family, we still eat a lot of refined flours, potatoes and sugar but I am learning. And what I am learning is that it all seems to come back to the basics, that eating foods the way God made them is the best for our body. We have a lot of things to change in our lives to get back to that.

One of the things about fat that makes me a little nervous about eating it is, it is the place in an animal's body where many toxins are stored, environmental, synthetic hormones that kind of thing. So, if your eating animal fat it is important to know where your meat is coming from.

If you are eating farm fresh meat, you know how the animals are handled, I think it is OK to eat that fat. But... and animal raised on grass and able to move around (instead of penned up eating grain) has a lot less fat. That means that even our meats are not as healthy as they used to be.
#130 of 162 Old 02-06-2003, 11:16 AM

Ok I dived into my Suzanne Somers book last night and I am very impressed. It might be the happy medium that many of us here could agree about.

Her basic premisis seems to be based on keeping your digestion happy. That your digestion excretes acid to digest protein/fat foods and excretes the oposite to digest fruit/carb foods. Vegtables are nutral foods and can be digested with either protein/fat foods or fruit/carb foods.

She says eat Fruit on an empty stomach by it's self. When you eat carbs eat them without fat or protein. When you eat Protein/fat foods eat them whithout carbs but with vegetables.

Wait 3 hours between meals if you are going to change food groups.

She says when you mix those basic food groups it causes gas production in the stomach, slowed digestion and turns more of your food to fat.

She also talks about keeping insulin production in check.

Anyways, very interesing
#131 of 162 Old 02-06-2003, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh, gully. maybe you just need a Holiday. trying to get rid of your ditty? must you erase the sign of my love? sigh. ok
Sunbaby, I would never erase the sign of your love. Instead, I will use the words of you and Madonna to inspire yet another heatlhy/happy day! Thanks kiddo!!

Mystic~As far as the grain thing goes it seems were all on the same page. Whole grains are best, close to nature!

Garden~I already do the fruit alone thing, and dont combine sugar with fats... So again, were on the same page!

Heres what I've been doing in a nutshell..

Breakfast=whole grain cereal with skim milk

Snack= Fruit

Lunch=protien vegies whole grains

Dinner=same as lunch basically only 2 servings of vegies

Snack=(3 hours before bed) fruit!

Exercise (everyday if possible)

Work out with in 3 hours of a meal when metabolism is sped up from eating.

Lotsa water!

No calorie counting only fat grams

Journaling feelings about food/body image ...

Not focusing on weight but health baby!!!

Love you all,
Gully
#132 of 162 Old 02-23-2003, 12:34 AM

i keep forgetting to come here and post about this...

I read that whole grain link, and the article by the palentologist (?).

ANd I have to say, that imho, those articles aren't very effective or believable.

1stly, prly jsut me, but they talk about 'cereal' grains, like we all know which ones those are, i can guess, but they both should have been specific. and then they lump rice in with them, which i jst dont believe is correct.

2nd they both assume that we haven't evolved over 10,000-20,000 years - they use both figures as if they're inclusive. and that based on this we should be eating what our ancestors ate at that time. personally, i see no reason to believe that we haven't evolved. i belive we have to a great extent, and i don't believe that we can't digest grains, otherwise some indigenous peopls would have been whiped out a long time ago b/c that was their main staple.

so, i couldn't go to a palentologist or whaever he was cuz i can't remember right now, b/c i don't think that he could possibly have info that is truly applicable today.

i think that's the gist of my complaint with those articles.

pardon the excessive typos...

and - Hi everyone!! how's it going??

Lori
#133 of 162 Old 02-24-2003, 11:22 AM

Hello All, Sorry I havn't posted in a while. I have been working on Taxes Yuck!!

I have mostly done good. Sticking to mostly the Summerizing Diet. I think it is starting to work. One thing I have noticed since I have been eating healthy when I don't eat healthy like on the week-ends I feel sooo Yucky! Tummy troubles until I get back on track on Mon. morning.

I'll be glad when the weather gets nicer and I can get out side for some exercise.
#134 of 162 Old 02-24-2003, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mystic~its going good. Thanks for asking.
I agree with you on the grain thing.

Ive been great about walking. And, am starting to 'not eat after dinner' again.

Garden~glad all is well. Want to do my taxes?

Stay in touch ladies! Spring is 'almost' here YAHOO! Althought the windchill is -30 today BRRRR. And the dh says "lets not move to 'Canada'-because its too cold"?
#135 of 162 Old 02-24-2003, 06:17 PM

not so good here. but , hey, better than last year at this time, so at least i know that while my progress is not linear, it is progress all the same. i have been exersizing very little, feeling lethargic, eating junk and bingeing now and then. oh, well, it happens. went to my doctor re/ my inability to lift my a$$ out of the couch and she was like, 'how are you handling the death of your friend?' and i told her i got tired of dwelling on it so i try not to think about it. she was like, um, two weeks isnt very long to grieve a loss- maybe you are stuffing this all down and thats why you feel so ick. yeah, well then i cryed and cryed and she did this awsome acupuncture treatment that helped, and i'm gonna go on a sort of nutritional antidepressant.

balancing life and parenting with this grieving thing is darn hard.

i've gained weight. one part of me really doesnt care. i'm like "so what. bill is dead. who cares if i get fat and ugly?" but OTOH, of course, i dont want to waste a single nother day feeling unhealthy and reclusive. i'm woking on it.

BTW, gully, unless you state other wise, i definately blame you for the DDDDC stunt. is that a quote? a lucky guess or very insightful quote for me. sometimes, now, as things happen in my day, i think about it and laugh, kinda sad, kinda ironic. i dont know so many people who struggle like i do- and i'm really mostly struggling w/ my own brain.
#136 of 162 Old 02-26-2003, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

((((Sunbaby)))) I am so sorry you are hurting. I hope things are looking up for you. My heart goes out to you really....

Your right about the quote, it is from a Madonna tune called "Over and Over" of Like a Virgin. Its actually uplifting to listen to. And, I thought of what you are experiencing now.

I struggle too. It is hard to stay afloat in the world 'these' days. I can soooo relate. I lose myself in Mothering, and disconnect from my enviroment-all in the name of being a better Mother?

Which is why...I have decided to take a sabbatical of sorts. I will miss you all, and hope you will continue to post and PM me if you like. I will check back every so often and see how you all are. And as I said please feel free to PM.

#137 of 162 Old 02-26-2003, 02:44 AM

i sure will miss you. i hope your break brings many good things and much healing to you. thanks for the excuse to buy another CD. now i can tell dh i NEED that maddona album.
#138 of 162 Old 03-11-2003, 11:12 AM

Looks like someone's name changed around here. I wish I could do that. I wish I had used a little less conspicous name for myself.

Anyways...

How are all? I actually have been doing fairly well during the week but usually fall off the wagon on the week-end. Some weeks I exercise better than others.

I have lost 2 lbs but can't seem to get any more to move. It is so frustrating .

I am excited about spring coming and will be glad to get outside more.
#139 of 162 Old 03-11-2003, 11:21 AM

spring is good - I forget about springtime in Oregon, there's this explosion of flowers that bloom in order around the whole city! We're still on Daffodils, I really like those little yellow flowers, right now, and we get to Iris - I don't even know all the flowers But, it's so cool sorta dies off around summer, then we've just got the regular flowering plants that do ok w/the heat (for what it's worth up here).

#140 of 162 Old 03-11-2003, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Ladies
Gully here. Been trying to change the ol user name for some time and finally had my wish granted.

Devi is a hindu goddess meaning mother. I know its not an eloguent explanation but...

I am in the process of weaning from the boards, but I found "activism" and there is much going on in the world huh?

Seriously though, I am sure the reason I have been unable to lose weight, is from sitting in front of my pc either working or online or both? Also, just being so 'glued' to the internet. I find this stuff amazing, especially with my high speed connection!!!

So, I will be checking back, and trying to get my backside out of 'activism' as well.

Tis cold and snowy in Minnesota today.
But, warming with temps in the 40's YAHOO!!!

Garden I love your user name!

Sunbaby~how goes it!

Mystic, nice seeing you (so to speak) again...

Love to all!
Devi, or Gully or Denise whichever?!
#141 of 162 Old 03-11-2003, 06:36 PM

ah yes

"bandwidth is it's own reward" my hubby

#142 of 162 Old 03-12-2003, 02:24 AM

nice to see you, poster formerly known as gully. i'm glad you got your name change wish granted- i liked your old name, too. 'gully' always reminded me of 'scully' that sharp and stunning character from the x-files (back in the day when i had television and could stomach such shows.) either name is swell to me.

i am ok. gave in and went on a drug i used to take- luvox, usually used in obsessive compulsive disorder, which i dont have, but my brain does do similar cartwheels. anyway, it helps and makes eating right a piece of cake. but it is only a temporary fix to get me over the hump, as i am very mistrustful of psychiatric drugs. it is nice not to waste every waking hour obsessing on food, though. dh really enjoys the overall change in me too.

gardenrn, i am right there with you on the weekend trouble. that has been my pattern for a very long time. sometimes it helps me to just know it is going to happen to some degree, and then let it, but work on shrinking it. for ex- if i am in a pattern of eating goodies all weekend, i say, ok, next weekend, just one day of goodies. after that, one night out to eat free of rules. later , just one dessert. that way, i dont feel so deprived of my weekend treats, which seems to put me in panic mode where i eat everything in sight. maybe that would work for you?

mystic, softheart, sueami- glad to be chatting with you all again.
#143 of 162 Old 03-12-2003, 10:50 AM

I guess I just need to work harder. Just to give you an idea how hard it is. We have started a tradition on Sat. morning we have home-made pancakes and either for lunch or supper home-made Pizza. I make up 4 pizza's at a time and freeze them for easy use on the week-ends. On Sunday we usually eat out once and sometimes twice or we have a big family dinner with desert and all the trimmings.

Butt.... (a pun intended) that does not honestly give me an excuse not to try. I do limit my portions and some of those things but frequently feel awful on Sunday night. :
#144 of 162 Old 03-12-2003, 12:05 PM

that sounds hard. i dont think i could resist all those yummies at this point either. i hate that sunday night downer, too.
are you being a wee bit hard on yourself? you say you need to try harder, but it sounds to me as if you ARE trying. i dont have a solution, i just hate to see you feeling guilty about food when the stomach ache (or sugar low, or whatever...) is probably punishment enough.
#145 of 162 Old 03-12-2003, 05:23 PM

Thank you sunbaby, You are proabably right, I am hard on myself. I was just hoping I would look halfway decent in a swim suit this summer but Strike out again!

I really can't complain, I don't have any health problems and have plenty of energy to get lots done in a day when I put my mind to it.

Well, off out side for a while. It is a beautiful day here. A balmy 70 degrees.
#146 of 162 Old 03-14-2003, 01:03 AM

just want you all to know that mystichealermom is in preterm labor. here is the thread.

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...0&pagenumber=1
#147 of 162 Old 04-07-2003, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,
Just checking in.

Hows it going?
#148 of 162 Old 04-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Hello Devi

I am still in there. I haven't lost much but now have added quite a bit of exercise and I think the inches are coming off.

I have a new article out: A Get Fit Plan

Next month I am trying to get an article together about improving nutritional state. For some gaining weight.
#149 of 162 Old 04-08-2003, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Garden~your website is sooooo cool! How'd you know I needed a pizza crust recipe. I am gonna try whole wheat pastry flour for mine. Whatcha think?

Went to my first over eaters anon meeting last night. Finally admitting I have a problem.

Granted I felt much better off then some, but I think it will be helpful.

I will share tips as I learn them.

Peace!
Denise
#150 of 162 Old 04-08-2003, 10:38 AM

Devi, I usually use one or 2 C. whole wheat in that recipe. Recently I even tried my hand at sourdough. It worked pretty good.

You prabably notice on my site adds for the Nutricounter? Well I have the pc version of the program used in the little hand held unit. The program has helped me realize how much I really do eat.

I am not sure how over eaters anon does it but Weight Watchers uses a point system that really boils down to counting calories.

I am going to try eating less carbs and more whole grains but at the same time have a better idea for how much I eat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page