i've been wanting to form a dream group for ages - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2003, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, we all have a cold, or flu or whatever
sueami, thanks! I dont remember what we were talking about in the 2nd dream, it seemed superficial but fun, I have 2 brothers and 1 sis, and my younger b and I were the closest, with my older b. I have had close contact and we have been talking about his divorce. He had a tough time growing up, my dad was very strict then, specially with him, I remember my dad saying something about prefering kids when they were babies much more than when they grew up. This bothered me because I saw him with my nephew how he kinda stopped being as great to him when he started growing up, and I have the feeling that the same happened in my family. I do worry about me, if I internalized that feeling Ds is going through a growth spurt right now (he will be 3 this thursday! ) its been difficult and sad to leave some things behind about the toddler and adjusting to this new stage but also I do enjoy and admire the growing energy of his amazing being to be-come, the new things appearing and also the growth that his growing produces in me, he is changing into an amazing kiddo and Im turning into a kid's mama!
so the 3rd dream, I remember feeling surprised but accepting at the same time, like wow look at all these kids and at the same time something like ok, im here in this group..
hugs to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 11:37 AM

Hi, all!

Luma: If I had the dream you had w/your brother in it, I would think that the dream was just an expression of my compassion and sympathies toward him. He had a tough childhood and is having a rough time now, so the menstrual blood on the wall and him turning into a child would symbolize to me that I want to protect him and care for him in a motherly way.

bellydancing class dream: Given the background you gave, if this were my dream, I might think it's representing how I'm entering a new stage in parenting with my child (he's getting older) and I am more than accepting of the change. I would think that it's trying to tell me that I may feel like I don't know what's going on sometimes, but that I'll manage and enjoy it.

sueami: you are so helpful!

mamabuttercup: very interesting dream! Are you having problems with a close friend right now? I'm wondering b/c both your dreams involved a friend in some way. Also, are you having trouble getting over something that happened in the past? The book references were so interesting. I'm compelled to look that up!

Blessings...
Old 01-10-2003, 12:10 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, Sue!

Do any of you know how to keep someone from entering your dream? I'm pretty certain an old lover has been trying to see me on the astral level, and I'd like more control over the situation.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:56 AM

Hi
I wanted to say thank you too for starting this thread it is facinating to me.
Thanks for the interpretation. The friend in the present/futuristic dream was in a car accident with me, and I guess I subconciously never got over the guilt of her being hurt and me not.

Interesting thought about keeping someone out of your dream....mamaknature. I've never heard of that. Interested to see what is said about that.
I will be posted reading the interpretations.
peace and sweet dreams,
mamabc
Old 01-10-2003, 03:24 AM

mamaknature: I usually stop the dream if it's not something I want. Sometimes, I completely stop and go on to something I -do- want to dream about, and sometimes, I just substitute someone else in. You just have to remember that these are -your- dreams, therefore, you have control over them (not the other way round).

Good luck!

mamabuttercup: It seems that both your dreams have a "don't go there" type message. If I had the book dream, I would think that there's something in the past that I need to let go of or not get into. It makes sense about your friend and the guilt, but that might not be it. With the jumping in and out of books, I would think that I am indecisive about something. I may be completely off. Never looked for my dream dictionary. I can't wait to see what Sue writes about it!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

hi all, sorry it's been so long since i've posted. i've been checking in but haven't felt like i've had enough time free to really tackle a dream.
i'll try mamabuttercup's before i turn in. thanks for asking that question chaka, that helped me get a better handle on what it might mean if it were my dream. i'm finding this hard to do without knowing the least bit of background about anyone, but i suppose if we all stay with the group we'll know more about each other over time.

okay, if this were my dream, i'd be confused as hell about why the friend was trapped in the future, and not the past. that's driving me crazy. if she were trapped in the past i'd say this represents the guilty feelings i have being frozen somewhere in me.

don't open the door -- seems significant to me. did the car door play any role in the accident? it's probably more metaphorical than that. maybe it's the part of you that's afraid to go back and face those feelings of guilt and responsibility, a "don't go there" sort of thing?
okay, and if that's the case, maybe the future is how you're imagining it would be if you did revisit the emotional landscape of this accident and your feelings about it and about your estranged friend... so perhaps the future is what you're afraid will happen if you contact her or somehow process this whole thing more? (i'm still puzzled by the whole future thing)

machines chopping up people sounds pretty much like what happens in a bad car accident, and police are also involved. the desert image could be again, a reference to your emotional landscape in this area. water is often associated with emotions in dreams, so if you had just repressed/avoided this whole trauma in your psyche, a desert would be an apt image.
hiding in a book is interesting. if it were my dream, i'd think about story, and telling myself a story (lying to myself even?) in my dream dictionary books are symbols of wisdom and knowledge. you need to access knowledge to deal with this? inner knowledge, since you're going into the book?

who is your friend with the basement? what do they represent to you? basements can indicate the subconscious or maybe deeper levels of knowing.
microscopic bugs kill the women with you -- here's a weird thing, my dream dictionary says insects represent small children. i suppose at another level your dream could be about the whole struggle we have as moms to grow and have a personal life with the unyielding demands of children.
the other weird thing is my dream dictionary actually has a reference to alice in wonderland -- "packed with symbols that may recall the first stirrings of childhood sexuality. falling down a rabbit hole into the earth may be returing to the womb, phallic symbols in the long ears of the white rabbit, the top hat of the mad hatter and the caterpillar on his mushroom."
so, if you think that is a valid interpretation, i'd wonder if this friend also has other meanings for you? is she a childhood friend? did she have any connection with early boyfriends?
all in all, i guess i'd like to know what, if any, of this resonated with you, then maybe i could offer a more focused interpretation.
the only thing in all this that really gave me an aha (i'm intrigued to discover that i have ahas when i work with other people's dreams as much as with my own. i guess dreams have a universal language and they can speak to everyone) was the idea of books and stories.
so, if this were my dream, i'd think it was telling me about a tendency i have to tell myself stories or to escape into roles/personas maybe, to avoid things i'm afraid of (the future is, in one very real psychological sense, about fear. when i was having panic attacks, my psychologist told me that fear is always about the future, which was strange to me, as i thought at the time i was afraid of having repressed memories of sexual abuse. but she pointed out that i wasn't afraid of what already had happened -- if it had -- i was afraid of how i would have to deal with it if i remembered it.)

okay, another possibility just popped up. "don't open the door into the future" -- are you afraid of trying new directions, of moving into the future in various ways? what were you doing/where were you going when you had the accident? did it reinforce a fear/avoidance of doing something new/going somewhere new?

that's the best i can come up with. i'd very much like to know if any of it struck you.
good night and good dreaming!
sue
Old 01-13-2003, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

hi mamaknature,
i keep meaning to read the chapter in dream work about lucid dreaming, because i know he gives fairly detailed advice for learning how to take more control of your dreams. as soon as i get a chance, i'll post here. i don't have any other advice or experience for you. i can't say that i've ever felt like anyone was trying to enter my dreams. i do dream about exes a lot, but i take it more as a message to myself about something they represent...

i did have a dream fragment last night that is actually a fairly common dream occurence for me, and i'm stumped about what it represents.

i will often dream of riding an elevator up a very, very tall skyscraper and having it ascend super fast and then, somewhere around the 100th or 120th floor, start leaning sideways and shooting off into space, often into another building entirely. the acceleration is one thing i notice in these dreams, the other is the weird tilt of the elevator, it's unsettling and rather frightening to me when it occurs; i'm worried i won't be able to stay on my feet or that the elevator will somehow crash out of the shaft entirely. it often feels like it's turned into a roller coaster. in most of these dreams, i'm at some business or professional-sort of event, or i'm staying in a high-rise hotel, sometimes. (i'm a SAHM right now, and don't consciously miss my life as a journalist/media relations person.)
freud, who i think overdoes the sex stuff, personally, would call that a sexual dream, maybe about passively receiving sex. jung i think would call it moving between consciousness and unconsciousness. neither of those seem like satisfying explanations to me.
i think maybe it represents my professional life veering off course, but i don't understand the ascending aspect of it. the elevator is always going up, as far as i can remember.
does anyone else have any thoughts or dreams about this?
Old 01-13-2003, 03:47 AM

Most definately, Susan. I've had quite a few dreams where I'm going up in an elevator, it rises above the building, and comes down again in a different building. Usually, I end up in the basement and other weird stuff happens. Sometimes, my kids are with me. I remember (vividly) the fear the first time I had this happen in a dream. The 2nd time, I remember telling myself that it would all be okay and I would land safely.

I found this in my dictionary: lift mood shifts or movement of attention, as when we move from being involved in physical sensation and shift to thinking;--the lift going out thru the roof could show tendency towards being manic, going underground meeting influences from the unconscious

hotels temporary attitudes or way of life; short term situation; relaxation; escape or separation from family or home

Does that help? One thought I have is that these dreams are symbolic of your emotional/mental/spiritual growth. Do you feel like inside you are changing at a pretty rapid pace?

mamabuttercup, my dream book says that books in a dream can represent memories, things you have learnt from experience, attitudes toward leanin, other people's opinions. And, old books can represent inherited wisdom and spiritual awareness. I think Alice in Wonderland counts as an old book!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, chaka, i think these dreams are about spiritual/personal growth on at least one level, that sounds right to me. and i've done a ton of work in the last 7 or 8 years. do your elevator dreams correspond with times of rapid pers growth for you too?
i'm wondering why it's a scary dream/what it's trying to communicate about this growth work.
i'm not consciously aware of much fear about the pace/direction of growth, but i suppose at some level my ego must be pretty freaked out that i'm trying to slough it off through this mindfulness work!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:47 AM

Yeah, they do. I found that I became more and more aware during the dreams as I had more of them. Like, I would make a point to look around in the dreams. And, dreaming Chaka would remember things in the dreams that she'd dreamt before. Very conscious dreaming, if there is such a thing.

Good luck figuring those out. Unfortunately, I don't know as much abt it as you. Sorry.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:04 PM

Hi everyone! I haven't been keeping up with this thread very well so I'm sorry to barge in. I had a dream last night that really puzzled me. I'd love your feedback if you have any--great thread, btw!

Okay, here it is..and I wish I had memorized it before getting up because I lost some of it.

I was on a journey to the top of a mountain. It was dark. I was encountering various obstacles. A large white dog came to me. I think I was afraid of it, but I can't remember. The dark sky had foreboding figures. They were large dinosaur mouths with sharp teeth, opening and closing their mouths as I was looking up at them. A Native American healer came to me, but I was afraid and didn't understand that he was trying to help me. I resisted his efforts. Then a healer of Chinese medicine came to me and said into my ear "This is for the terrors of the night sky" and put tiny embers of burning herbs on my face. This was soothing, and didn't burn me. I let this healer help me. I got up and I think I resumed my journey, and then understood that the NA healer was also trying to help me.
Then the scene changed and I was walking toward our old house that we moved from this past summer. I saw the old storage shed moved to a different place, now in front of the gate. I didn't look in since it was theirs now. I did, however, go in the gate. I wanted to see the dog, the same white dog that had come to me in my journey. When the dog saw me it seemed distressed, ran, and jumped through a cut-out in the stockade fence in the backyard, and ran into the woods.
That was all. Weird, huh?
Old 01-16-2003, 01:53 PM

Anybody?
Old 01-16-2003, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

hi mamajamz, sorry about that. it takes me a while to go through a dream so i tend to want to wait til i know i've got some clear time at the computer when i'm relatively alert, and that rarely happens. i'll give it a shot now and see if the kids stay entertained long enough.
very interesting dream, full of lots of strong, mystical imagery...
if it were my dream, i'd take the journey up the mountain in the dark to be my spiritual/personal growth work. i love the white dog. i always dream of shadow aspects that are dark, never white. i'd take it as a sign from my subconscious that i have a strong guide/protector aspect of myself that is helping me along on this path. others might take this as an actual visitation from shamanic entities, but i tend to be a literalist, if you can call it that, in my dream work and figure that it's all generated within my psyche.
why dinosaur mouths (as opposed to some other scary creature) in the sky? they're extinct, they're buried in the ground, could this represent very old pain/fears deep in your psyche?
native american shaman and chinese healer would again incline one to take this as a shamanic encounter. in my more ordinary take on the world, i guess i'd wonder if you've been exploring either of those belief/healing systems, maybe or maybe again, just wise, deep aspects of your true nature sending a message of support in your quest for growth...
the old house could represent yourself as you were when you lived there, or stuff that happened to you when you lived in that house. how long where you there? we just moved from a house a year and a half ago and i dream about it alot, in part because i am grieving the passage of those years, my singlehood, the excitement of meeting and marrying my husband, my first child's birth and infancy...
an old storage shed might represent memories/feelings stored from that time. moving it in front of the gate increases its visibility, maybe stresses the importance of attending to it?
the white dog is distressed to see you and jumps out a hole in the back fence and runs into the woods. this is the most puzzling part of the dream to me. (and at this point i have two kids crawling on me, so i don't know how much creative thought i can put into this. : )
tossing a few ideas out -- the dog doesn't want you returning to the house/dwelling on whatever it represents to you? the dog wants you to to follow it to the woods?
going to the dream dictionary
dogs are faithful companions and guides, white is the color of mourning in eastern cultures, such as china. more usually it symbolizes purity and bridal virginity (quoting the book here)
woods are a symbol of the unconscious and its concealed impulses
fence could be protection agains unwelcome cuiousity of strangers or a warning against excessive introversion, shutting yourself off from contact with the enriching ideas of the outside world.
as alwys, very interested in knowing if any of this resonates.
times up with thelittl;e ones!
susan
Old 01-16-2003, 03:36 PM

hi
Pretty intense dream. Very vivd pictures you described. I know nothing about dream interpretations, but I had a few thoughts.
The mountain might represent some sort of growth. (sorry littles lost train of thought) Are you thinking about going back to work? Or school? Just a thought because of the obstacles and darkness(scary leaving little ones). Thought about dinosaurs...my almost 4 year old is way into dinos and we will be having a dino b-day party. Have you been reading/ watching about dinos? I don't have and idea the representaion (sorry)
When did you move from old house? Could this be about moving...and unknow future and grieving the memories of past house? I agree with Sue about the shaman/chinese healing.
Interesting....
Sorry I might not have been much help, I get distracted in the morning!
I 'll come back later
peace,
mamabc
Old 01-16-2003, 03:45 PM

hi
I had a question. My almost 4 year old has a reoccurring Flower Dream. It makes him happy. There are no people in it he said. The garden is pretend and the flowers are purple and red.
Anytime he has a bad dream he cries I just want my Flower Dream mommy!
My question is what do flowers represent?
I have lots of flowers and ever since he was a 1 year old he has helped me plant in the garden. I let him pick out his own flowers when we go to the nursery, and he waters them. Does the dream represent happy times he has spent in the garden with me? Just curious. He has been having the Flower Dream for about almost 2 years...Kind of young I thought for a reoccurring dream and he tells us about it.
Thanks,
peace
ps
had a minute boys playing train together
Old 01-16-2003, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

how cool that your son remembers dreams so often! i don't know about kid dreams and whether interpretations differ, i'll see what i can find in my dream books.
the dream dictionary i have indicates flowers are representative of our soul or spiritual center. red is a forceful color, often anger or passion, in a more positive sense. dictionary doesn't have purple, but that's generally associated with higher spiritual nature, i believe...

edited to add: didn't find much about kids dreams, except a reference that they can be similar across cultures. did have a thought that it seems reasonable to expect that very young kids would probably dream in simple, archetypal images. they don't have a lot repressed yet to deal with, so for them maybe dreams serve a more pure and simple function. maybe the flower dream is comforting because it's a way for him of returning to a touchstone for refueling, getting energized physically and spiritually (red and purple) by contact with his soul essence/energy.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:12 AM

Well, I'm pretty sure it is a matter of someone intruding my dreams, because the dreams with him are so different then typical dreams of mine. It's hard to describe, but the dream plane feels very real and I feel his presense very intensely. And when I wake up, I feel like I got absolutely no sleep. For a while he was actually welcome, because I had mixed feelings about him. But when I finally decided enough is enough, I started to exercise whatever psychic protection I could imagine.

Basically, I just make it clear to him psychically that he's not welcome. It's been working to some extent, but I haven't been able to intentionally block him out within a dream. I just can't seem to grasp that I'm dreaming while I'm dreaming. I would love to be able to tell him in a dream to get lost.

I suspect this of him, because he never let go of me, even after I got married, and this is right up his alley -- dreamwork/lucid dreaming. He's a medicine man. Anyway, I used to know a real good website on lucid dreaming, so, until I find it, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:07 AM

Wow. You had a lot of helpful insights. This dream has really stumped me. I usually have a sense about a dream upon waking, what it's about and trying to tell me, and can relate it to my life. Not so, this dream. The dog is the most puzzling to me too.

About the house: I don't have a lot of strong feelings about that house. We lived there only 3 years. Not a lot of history there. The dream seems very complex, like it has more than one meaning and I can't get my mind around it.

I like what you said about dinosaurs, Sueami. That could apply. I have a lot of early childhood history that I have worked through quite a bit, and that still comes back to haunt me at times. I also feel afraid of the threat of wars and all the tension in the world, which also ties into early fears I think. BAsically feeling unsafe.

The past year and a half has been one of a psychic opening or "spiritual emergence". It has been a year of profound growth and stretching. So, I'm not sure either if this dream has meanings rooted in my own psyche, or if I'm being taught or spoken to in symbols. I think either is possible, especially since I usually know immediately the connection btwn dream and life and now I don't. Also, since I wake up a lot nursing, I don't have a lot of extended REM sleep. My dreams are not usually so vivid.

The dream occurred after I spoke to someone with whom I seem to have a very deep connection. Often after talking to her or being with her something like this will happen, or I have a new insight about something.

I have no personal experience with either Native American medicine or Chinese medicine. I do feel very connected to Native American people as that is rumored to be part of my heritage; I feel that to be true. Interesting that I rejected the N.A. healer since i have been visited before in waking and in dreaming by a Native figure. I'm curious about the shamanic encounter. I know nothing about these.

UGH! Kinda frustrating not knowing.
Is it possible that spiritual beings really could visit during sleep? I know anything is possible, but I know that this past week I've been really anxious for some reason. Like old history was bubbling up. Maybe I just needed a little extra help because I woke up feeling a bit better, less anxious. I don't know.

Mamabuttercup--what a cool dream for your son. My daughter used to dream about a "mama cow" a lot for a while when I was pregnant, but I think she was working through some frustrations with me and just experiencing some uncomfortable feelings; it was not a happy dream. When I was little I had recurring dreams about these mean awful flames of fire with mean faces. So that's why I'm saying how good it is that your son is so happy in his dreams! I'm wondering too if he is very verbal and maybe strong in creativity/right brain activity. My daughter is that way and has always had vivid dreams, good and bad. Just curious.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

mamajamz,
i have trouble getting the meaning out of a lot of my dreams too. esp. house dreams. what was the name of the street that house was on? it could be something as simple as a pun, but i doubt it... it sounds like from the dates you gave that you probably started this latest spurt of growth work there. could that some how have meaning?
the hard part about an online group is, at this point at a group irl, several people would be tossing ideas or questions around and in the mix, someone would probably have an intuitive flash that would lead us on...
i'm heading off tomorrow for a trip to see dh's grandmother back east and at 93, she is not in the digital age, so i'll be incommunicado til next wed or thur. till then, hope you all have productive dreams!
susan
Old 01-19-2003, 02:53 AM

Mamajamz, I like that dream. If it were my dream, I would think it's symbolic of great changes occurring. Going up the mountain would symbolize personal growth. The dinosoaurs would represent old ways and thoughts (to me) and since they were scary, it would lead me to believe that as I grow, I am going to have to conquer some old, unhelpful ways of being/thinking. Esp. since the healers came. That would symbolize that there are going to be struggles and fears, but that I'll be able to conquer them as long as I am open to recieving help. Maybe the reason you denied help from the NA healer is b/c that path is not the one you need to concentrate on right now. Maybe your dream is telling you to look to the Chinese while on this path/mountain.

The dog I can't figure out. My dictionary said something abt how dogs can represent the showing of love. Maybe the dog came to you on the mountain as a sign of self-love, but runs away at the house b/c that house was not a source of love for you? I would think that your disinterest in the house shows that you have moved beyond that part of your life. Did you have life-altering experiences while living in that house?
Old 01-20-2003, 02:42 PM

Sueami and Chaka Falls. Thanks for your insight.
I agree there is some significance to the house. I conceived my son there. His birth was a very significant event on many levels. I had visitations while awake and asleep during that time while living there. The door of the "fabric of life" opened while living in that house.
Two of the visitations were from a Native American chief.

I think the dinosaurs being old ways of thought hit home.

The two elements still puzzling are the Chinese healer with the burning embers (could this be predictive of someone coming into my life or a new path I need to take though I don't know it yet? Or, since it was so vivid, could it have been a visitation from a new figure?) Or i even wonder if sometimes dreams come to us and another part of us receives the message of help that totally goes by our thinking mind. The thinking brain is just the audience, and it doesn't have to get it for the benefit to come?

The other puzzling thing is still the dog. Could the dog be representative of a spirit? That keeps coming back to me. What do woods represent? I just read that somewhere recently and can't remember now.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:08 PM

trees "the tree depicts the living structure of our inner self. Its roots show our connection w/our physical body and the earth; its trunk the way we direct the energies of our being--growth, sex, emotion, thought. The branches are the abilities, directions, and many facets we develop in life--varied and yet all connected in the common life process of our being. The tree can also symbolise new growth, stages of life and death, with its spring leaves and blossom, then the falling leaves. The top of the tree are our aspirations, the growing vulnerable tip of our personal growth and spiritual realisation...The tree is our whole life, the evolutionary urge which pushes us into being and growth...A wood, collection of trees represents the natural forces in one's own being, therefore one's connection with or awareness of the unconscious; other ppl's personal growth and connection w/self."

HTH

abt dogs: it's my understanding that in the past, dogs would represent spiritual guidance
Old 01-20-2003, 03:56 PM

I didn't realize there was a whole thread about this....

If anyone is so inclined would you please hop over to my thread, "Dream interpretation anyone?"

It's all about people parking cars in my yard and driveway and getting in my way. Thanks.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 01-20-2003, 04:07 PM

Cool about the woods and the dog. Okay, i think I got the gist of this dream--finally!

It's a journey of personal growth, shedding old ways of thinking, moving toward new things. Also re-visiting what happened in that house. It's scary at times. I was met first by the dog, the spirit of the one who came to me. Then the Native American healer. I believe the focus is on the Chinese healer that is either in my life in symbolic form, or will soon be either in the form of a person or experiennce. I will know in time. This aspect of the dream was most prominent. I pursued the dog in the dream, which represents pursuing the spirit that had visited me. I wanted her to come back to me and she wouldn't. It is time to move on from there. She didn't disappear though. Just as the dog went into the woods, so the spirit and all i gained from her presence is still a part of me.

Incidentally, I had a new dream about the old house. This time i was re-organizing. What stands out is lots of colors. I was putting things in brightly colored boxes, and discovering lots of other colorful objects. There were other people living there. They were older than us. Seemed somehow "wiser". They had made more of the house than we had. I learned from them. It was a positive dream. I think this re-affirms the positive growth and meaning that has come from the journey--that began in the old house.
Thank you so much for the help! Dreams are awesome.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

hello all, back from our trip to florida and battling the stomach flu we picked up on the plane (before i became a parent, if anyone would have told me that i'd be thrown up on 10 times in my life, much less in a day, i'd have thought they were insane. oh, my poor little dears...)
in any case, they're sleeping and i wanted to take a little time to post the dream that started me on this whole dream group idea, because i had a *very* interesting synchronicity with it on our just completed trip. more about that later. first i'd be very interested in hearing your take(s) on this dream.

i'm walking next to a congested fwy that leads to los angeles (we live in the burbs and my husband commutes 2 hrs ea way to la 3 days a week. we both hate the commute but the job pays well enough that he only has to work part time, if we live out where the housing is cheaper.)
and dh is walking or maybe driving a car headed in the same direction. the cars are going so slowly they might as well be walking. we both have walkie talkies to communicate to each other but his is not turned on. i'm suddenly walking with his father and i think maybe i'm a little embarassed that i can't raise steve on the walkie (background-i have a great relationship with my husband. his father, interestingly was absent for much of his childhood and dh is still trying to develop a close relationship with this otherwise nice seeming man). as i try to raise steve, a girl responds and i tell her i'm trying to reach my dh. a man then replies (you get cross talk on these walkie talkies) i get a faint whiff of sexual interest from him but mostly just sociableness. i walk away from the freeway talking to him. his wife has just had a baby, premature but okay. she's worried about it and annoyed with him that he's not. i think he's telling me all this on the walkie. suddenly i walk through some trees and into a clearing and there they are. she is african seeming, very elegant and self-contained. he looks like andrew weil, the health/diet guru, bearded, jolly. she and i talk babies and birthing and i feel like i'm trying to establish my femine-credentials with her, talking about my home birth.
she says they're organic farming, trees and fruit. i'm so excited! i ask about how that's working, where they found a farm so near LA. they answer, to my surprise, claremont (which is a university town near this fwy i'd been walking on, but not rural and too smoggy for me to want to live there irl). i figure there must be rural foothills in claremont that i'm not aware of and i think, wow, that's so close, dh could keep working in LA. and then i think about the smog and i wonder how much land costs, but i don't feel free to ask them about the finances.
i'm really enjoying talking to them, both have different energies, he's warm and burly and upbeat and she's centered and reserved and quietly powerful seeming. i start telling them how we could sell our house and use the equity to buy a farm and they nod.

and that's all i remember of the dream, but it really stuck with me. my first take on it was that the woman was a shadow aspect of me and as i just reread this i realized that she's the strong, competent mother figure that i don't acknowledge to myself that i am (just something i've realized recently, but didn't connect to the dream til just now)
not sure who weil represents, except i do want to be healthier and take better care of myself.
i'm not entirely sure what the communication disconnect is with my husband, except that he is physically separated from me by his commute/work for 11 or 12 hours a day on his work days, and also that he doesn't share my dream/delusion about living on an organic fruit farm somewhere (he's from iowa and knows how hard it is to farm and figures that it's more work that we really want to do.)
i'd be really interested in hearing what else you all see in this dream, before i post the synchronicity that happened on our trip to florida, because i don't want to short-circuit any other interpretations you might find in this dream
thanks in advance,
susan
Old 01-26-2003, 10:06 AM

~
~
~
~
~
~

WARNING: THIS DREAM CONTAINS DISTURBING
THINGS HAPPENING TO A CHILD!!
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
Ok so I'm in this auditorium playing a sort of game show. IT's a family atmosphere, adults and kids hanging around.

on my game board, in the audience, I write in huge capital letters "I RENEGE (MAN'S NAME)" I can't remember the name but in the dream he was my partner/dh although that was ambivalent. It was not my real dh.

Members of the challenging team started coming over and cheating, looking at my answer. They included Meredith Viera from the TV show The View and one other woman from the View.

I was FURIOUS that they were cheating and I nervously laughed and said "Of course I don't mean it!" Renege means renounce right?

Suddenly I realized my kids were missing. (MY REAL KIDS.) I started calling their names. The auditorium went silent, everyone in it watched me, nobody moved. I found one child. The other was still missing. I hollered her name. I heard wimpering from the hall. Here's where it gets
DISTURBING!!!!
I quickly heard that the whimpering was coming from the men's room in the hall. (Imagine a high school auditorium with the restrooms right outside across the hall.) My daughter was in there. She was all woozy as if from a drug and said woozily "They gave me __________ (certain food she loves but is allergic to in real life.)

I carried her back into the auditorium and onto the stage where I asked the crowd"Is there a doctor in the house? A pediatrician?"

Four adults rushed up to the stage to help us. I recognized a kind, plump, blond mother that I knew slightly. (She was not a person I knew in real life, although my kids were real in the dream and the celebrities were themselves, the other people I did not know in real life.)

When I chose the woman I knew (over two better looking, slim men and a slim, good looking woman) the woman pedi I had rejected glared at me. I felt guilty.

This mom went right to work, all business, whipped out her doctor bag. She took a blood sample to test for what the drug was. I wondered if she should test for AIDS, if she had been assaulted. My daughter was too sleepy.

Then I woke up.

Some of this stuff may be from a book I'm reading (there was drug use) or HUGE exagerations of real life (dealing with food sensitivities, make the people in my family who have them sad)
but there's a lot I don't get here.

If you want to see where I am in my life you can see the "dream interpretation anyone" thread with the smiley icon to the left.

Thanks a million. My heart was pounding when I woke up. I have never been so glad to see my daughter sleeping peacefully!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 01-29-2003, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

hi momtwice, sorry it's taken so long to respond. i came down with the kids' stomach flu, so it's been quite a week, to put it mildly...

a few thoughts on your dream...

if this were my dream, on one level i think it would be telling me that i am feeling very constrained by/chafing under my feminine role as it is being defined by those around me, particularly women, and perhaps i'm also questioning my internal image of myself as a mother. another idea, less prominent for me, but still there, is that maybe i'm resisting my own male energies or wanting to resist/challenge my husband's expectations, perhaps?

i'm first off struck by the use of the word renege and it's relationship to renegade -- wanting to buck social mores/restraints/laws. (i also keep seeing the letters rearrange to the word energy and am flashing on the idea of reneging male energy, but that may not resonate for you)

so if it were my dream, and i am playing a game in front of an audience, this to me also resonates with the idea of social roles. i'm sorry, i don't have tv reception, so i'm not sure if i'm getting the flavor of what the view is about, but i think it's a tv show in which women comment on current events. again, i can see this as a metaphor for my social role and maybe what other women around me think/say about me. and this is all happening in a high school auditorium, which is pretty much the epitome of a highly stratified, artificial social enviornment where people are trying on roles and judging each other.
and these women are cheating. and i'm furious. and i *nervously* laugh and say i'm joking, which to me sounds like denying my true feelings because i'm afraid they won't be socially acceptable.

and then my kids are missing, which maybe is what i fear will happen if i don't fulfill my role, if i'm not accepted by other moms/society?

it is your daughter who is missing (i don't know if your other child is a boy or not, but if so, that makes the gender here more significant, i think) and she's found in a men's room.
what was the food? there may be other associations with it that make it meaningful beyond just her allergic reaction to it...

this part of the dream is tricky and more confusing for me. if it were my dream there would be an undercurrent of feared sexual abuse here, and i would wonder if she represents me as a girl and if there was anything coming up from my childhood about abuse or maybe just my fear that she might some day be abused.
(and i should insert here that whenever anyone offers a dream interpretation, it has largely to do with that person's own life experiences, in that we are usually projecting our own feelings/fears/ experiences, consciously or not. which is fine and useful, because so much of human experience is shared, the dreamer will find some aha's in others' projections from their own psyches.)

i was drawn to the image of the four docs you had to choose from. my first thought was, if it were my dream, perhaps i am considering different mother roles, warm, plump mothery mom vs. professional mom vs. my more masculine energies, which might be in my shadow side/not acknowledged/accepted fully. it also struck me that you mentioned in your other post you were struggling with weight and your self image, and in this dream you reject the 3 thin docs for the plump one. is being warm and mothering and plump all wrapped together for you in one image. do you worry that losing weight might make you less nurturing?
the more i think about this, the more another layer of meaning comes to me. if this were my dream, the glaring thin pediatrician would be the neglected career/professional woman part of me, or maybe my anger at not being able to inhabit that persona right now (because i think it's not acceptable for a mother to be a sharp-looking working woman too?)

i'm not sure about the aids reference, except here i see the fear of sexual assault being clearly acknowledged. your daughter is too sleepy. again, these are my personal issues coming out here, but sleep can be a way of avoiding scary stuff, and i'd wonder if my daugnter wasn't me and sleepy to avoid having to face/answer questions about sexual assault/abuse.

all in all, a lot of elements of this dream have a male/female opposition to them. from reneging a man to daughter found in the mens room to rejecting male docs for a female one. i'm wondering if either there are issues with the primary males in your life or if you have repressed your male energies to fulfill the role of mother as you imagine it should be fulfilled, and you are rebelling against that at some level. by male energies, i guess i mean active, creative, assertive vs. passive, nurturing, supportive (not that men and women are supposed to be one or the other. they're both part of a healthy persona)
anyway, i'm exhausted and i should go spend some time with dh before i fall asleep.
as always, would love to know how this strikes you. it helps me to grow in my own dream interpretations to work others' dreams and hear what does and doesn't resonate for them...
good night,
susan
Old 01-29-2003, 03:48 AM

Sorry I haven't been around much. I don't have anything to offer abt either of your dreams, and I feel badly abt that. C'est la vie.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:27 PM

sueami,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post!

I do feel "constrained by my feminine role" as you thought...
I feel frustrated with being a SAHM. I do too much for my kids, not enough for me. It's winter and the isolation is difficult.
I don't take the time to be myself and feed my passions (I'm at heart an artistic creative person, but you would never know that to look at my life.)

Yes I do feel I am "questioning my self image as a mom."
WheN I try to make friends with other moms I feel left out. I've found it hard to click with people. Even in the circles I do find myself in, I never feel comfortable with myself/them.

renegade/energy...what a cool observation.
I feel that my overeating makes me tired. I am working on changing (yoga helps me to not overeat so much).

social mores, chafing at them...
the women on the View all have lots of makeup, gleaming teeth, perfect hair...I feel they are very fake, feel low about how I look in real life.

Some phrases you wrote:
high school being judgemental of social roles...
socially acceptable...
not accepted by others...these are my issues for sure!

Repressed male energy...
now that is interesting. That's a neat new perspective. I feel tired and passive and sluggish and sick of housework...Creativity and energy and finding something to be INSPIRED about sounds really cool.

Males in my life...yes I definitely have issues with men in my family...nuf said, I could write a book. I'll look at that some more.
(And expectations, if I am like (X) am I feminine, am I a good enough mom etc. Roles my parents took on (games) and dh and me.)

Abuse...yes I have baggage but I also feel my daughter in the dream represented me. I worry about the world not accepting her for herself as she grows, but is this really about ME (eating too much to deal with emotions may be what the food represents) When I dream about her maybe it really represents me. Yes the other child is a boy and I found him right away in the dream. (You commented on that indicating gender issues.) Do I think men matter more, are treated better, have more freedom?
(PS her birth was also an abusive experience, and it involved drugs...maybe that is part of the symbolism!)

I've been dreaming SO MUCH this week. Another theme (TWICE THIS WEEK) is about race. I feel it's symbolic. Twice I have dreamed about being in a group of African Americans and fearing they wouldn't accept me as a white woman, then finding out I was wrong and being pleasantly surprised by love and support.
Very cool huh?

To sum it all up, I need to find loving supportive networks and community in my life, and I need to love myself and be myself, and I'm finding it a challenge.

Thank you so much!

PS If you do find the time I would like to hear more about the male energy in myself idea...

Old 02-05-2003, 07:04 AM

Hi Sue, and everyone,

I'm a late starter. I've seen the thread since the beginning, but haven't posted. I didn't think I had anything to say.

I haven't read everything, but I'm going to go back and check it out. Wow, Sue, you've made a heck of a contribution, just scanning thru, yall've really kept this thread chugging along! What stamina!

A couple things about my dreams.

I have recurring ones, and theme ones, like a serial. Sometimes they go away all together and sometimes they come back. It's weird when I haven't had a dream for years, then wham, it's back. And some weird sex stuff, but not much.

One thing tho, I used to have these dreams of being chased. I actually run in my sleep, while lying down, I don't sleep walk - I think it's night terrors, now that I know a little more about the phases of sleep, etc. But, that doesn't happen much anymore. I do startle myself awake while I'm drifting off. Anyway, the chase dreams I had when I was a kid. I was scared of dying. And I noticed that when I had a bad day thinking about it, I'd have a chase dream. They were really scarey. Sweaty, heart pounding, that kinda thing. Well, I'm not afraid to die anymore. There's more to it than that, but, short story, those dreams are gone, and so is that fear. whoa.

My other recurring theme/serial thing is houses. And rooms. I'll dream of a house, whether I'd been there before or not, (a couple times it was a shopping mall or office complex) and there will be all these rooms, and rooms leading to rooms, and such. and it's familiar, really complex architecturally, probably impossible, and just nifty. I think this has to do with periods of change in my life.

I don't keep a journal. I didn't think it was interesting. I have writen down a few, but the writing never compares to the dream reality.

DH said he didn't dream (: ), but then he started a journal and a whole project and realized he did. in psychology the instructor said that usually people with tramatic childhoods don't remember thier dreams. Hmmmm.

Well, going back to catch up. Sorry to jump in late...

Lori

User Tag List