quitting caffein - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have been trying for at least a year to quit caffein. i keep blowing it- often because i get sick all the time (although i didnt before dd was born) and then i need caffein just to function, you know, to chase a two yr old around all day.

anyway, i was wondering about other people's experiences with this. advice would be welcome too. thanks.
#2 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 08:03 PM

I got hooked on caffeine about 3 or 4 years ago when I started a birthing center. Ugh...all hours of the night and with a 2 year old. My method of choice is of course the pricey one- Frappucino's. Like 2 a day!! I don't know how the caffeine compares to say soda, but it can't be good. And the milk and carbs, ugh, I can't tolerate myself sometimes!

Anyway, I did discover Silk Soy milk has a coffee latte flavor in their small chug size silks, with like 1/2 the caffeine of coffee. Yummy too, tastes like the Frappucinos. So I am planning on weaning down to that. I get the bad headaches though and am dreading it.

I hear there are some homeopathics that can help, but have not looked them up yet....too damn jittery!!!
#3 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 08:05 PM
SLY

Good Luck with this one, Sunbaby. Its a toughie! I used to work at a coffee shop/bakery and therefore had un limited access to all the espresso, etc that I wanted. Then I got pg. Miraculously, I quit cold turkey. Now that my son is born, (hes 7mos) I drink a cup a day of half caff with choc soy milk- sometimes 2 cups, rationalizing that 2 1/2 caffs equals 1 regular caff. Anyway, I am pondering quitting, myself. Cold turkey usually works for me, but boy did I get grumpy and headachy the last time I quit. Have you though about going to half caff?
#4 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SLY
Then I got pg. Miraculously, I quit cold turkey.
woo wee, you are my hero! I drank my caffeine all through pg and pp and nursing....bad mommy.....
#5 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 08:22 PM

There is a homeopathic remedy called cammomile that is supposed to work wonders w/alleiviating the caffeine withdrawal headaches. I do not know the exact dose, but I bet you could find it on the net. Good luck, I know it is a challenge.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#6 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 09:39 PM

After about 10 years of serious caffeine addiction (with unbelievable headaches and shakes if I didn't get my fix in time), I became pregnant and quit cold turkey. Not fun, but I did it. After ds #1 weaned, I went back to it (dh is also addicted so it is very hard to stay off with the stuff constantly brewing!). After a few years, I became pregnant again and quit cold turkey again. Still not fun, but I did it. I never went back after that because I realized how much better I felt when not addicted. The withdrawal symptoms really were only bad the first 3-4 days and gone completely after about 10 days. Dh is still slurping, but it doesn't bother me at all now. It feels great to be free!
#7 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
ugh...my nemesis. I have quit numerous times. But can't seem to completely stay off of it. I use to be a six pack or more a day girl. Then I discovered coffee....and then i was a six pack and two double mochas with extra chocolate a day. I cut it all out for months - went through the headaches - ouch! and the jitters. I am no currently drinking one cup of coffee or can of coke/day. I still have bad days though - but not too bad. I love an ice cold coke though - and can't imagine not being able to have one when I wanted it. My dh has started making the coffee really weak....so that helps too. I am ttc right now - and am sticking to my one a day rule. I figure that is good and allows me to have a jolt either in the morning or in the mid afternoon while working - which means I am functional after bd'ing for the entire week! :LOL good luck.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#8 of 16 Old 01-04-2003, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3boysmom
It feels great to be free!
that is what I long for! I also just know how great it feels to be smoke free after many many years. I love being smoke free. I know I can do the caffeine kick, I just have to DO IT!
#9 of 16 Old 01-05-2003, 12:54 AM

I've been off caffeine for about a month. I cannot tell you how much better I feel!! I went cold turkey and the advice I have is just not to have it in your house at all. You can do it! Be strong.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#10 of 16 Old 01-06-2003, 12:00 AM

I also quit cold turkey. My best advice for you is to cut down on your intake gradually. This will help lessen the withdrawl symptoms.

Good luck! You will feel so much better after you haven't had any in a while and the initial withdrawl goes away.

Brenda
#11 of 16 Old 01-06-2003, 10:45 AM

I'm in. I have been an addict for years. I saw an acupuncturinst several months ago to help quit and i did. Then i started hitting the gym at 5am everyday and felt great. But then that onemorning crept up that i was draggin, and i went to the coffee. All down hill since. Now i can't even get to the gym without a ton of caffine, and i am dragging later in the day. This sucks for me cause when i starter excercising (off caffine) i had energy for the first time in years. Now i am shot again. So lets do it ladies.
#12 of 16 Old 01-06-2003, 12:27 PM

Oh, sunbaby, I'm ready to quit again, too! I was "clean" for three years, (while TTC, preg and nursing) but let the coffee seduce me again. With coffee in the past it hasn't been too hard to wean myself -- I start adding some decaf beans to the grinder and gradually change the ratio of real to unleaded. But now dh gets up first and brews a big ole pot of tempting high octane aromatic dark roast. It's time to resist.

I'm a big girl. I can do this.
Oh, crap, I just took a sip, but tomorrow will be different.
#13 of 16 Old 01-06-2003, 05:35 PM

I made the dumb mistake of drinking 2 colas one night (it was all that was left at a family get together), and I hardly ever have caffeine. I am nursing, and I was hoping it would not affect the baby, but I was WRONG!!! My family including myself were not happy with me. The baby hardly slept for that night, and the next day and night. I felt so guilty. Now I make sure to bring a non-caffeinated drink with me when I go to social gatherings.
#14 of 16 Old 01-06-2003, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

sohappy, your pm box is full. (it's MY thread, i'll go off topic if i want to! )
#15 of 16 Old 01-06-2003, 07:18 PM

I found the best time to give up is when I'm ill, I invariably don't fancy it when i have a bad cold or something and then I can just carry on for a while afterwards without my body noticing until one day - I just start again! It's too good!
keep telling me how it feels to be free!
#16 of 16 Old 01-06-2003, 07:59 PM

Hey, Sunbaby, so is yours!! I wrote you this nice PM apology about my box being full, but it bounced!

I cleared a little room in my pm box if ya wanna try again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page