Help me choose a degree/career - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currently I'm on a break from school, having a new baby and all. But my degree program is Dietetics (Nutrition). I had planned on becoming a registered dietician and one day a lactation consultant. But I'm not sure that's the way I want to go now.

I really want to do some kind of community service type of job. Something like teaching parenting/breastfeeding/life skills classes to parents in need. Maybe not exactly that, but something in that realm. I just really want to do something to better the lives of mothers and children, using the skills that I already have or could learn. I'm not sure I'm emotionally equipped to deal with some of the issues of abuse and things like that that social workers have to deal with though.

Any thoughts?
#2 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 02:22 PM

What about a Lactation Consultant? I think it could be a jumping off point into other areas, like you mentioned, parenting skills, etc. I know that after DS was born, my LC was a godsend and comforted me in more ways that just assisting with breastfeeding.
#3 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely want to be an LC. That's my long term goal. But right now I have no degree at all, and even with a four year degree you need 2500 hours of bf counseling to qualify to sit for the IBCLC exam.

So basically, I want a degree that can lead me into that while also giving me something fulfilling to do in the meantime.
#4 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 02:44 PM

You could also be a doula (birth & postpartum) I think your background in nutrition could help new moms a lot since we often neglect ourselves when a baby is here. You could also become a childbirth educator.
#5 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Take the Strong Interest Inventory at the college career center! You will be glad you did.
#6 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 04:21 PM

With LC as your l-t goal, I'd go for a BSN and take some human development/counseling classes through your social work or psychology department.
#7 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick
I definitely want to be an LC. That's my long term goal. But right now I have no degree at all, and even with a four year degree you need 2500 hours of bf counseling to qualify to sit for the IBCLC exam.

So basically, I want a degree that can lead me into that while also giving me something fulfilling to do in the meantime.
Volunteering as a La Leche League Leader gives you credit for bf counseling hours. I think it's 500 hours/year? Something to consider.
#8 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone who responded. You guys have made me see that my original plan is really the best one for me. I'm going to continue with my dietetics degree and work on becoming a LLL leader. I'm much more excited about being an LC than I am about being an R.D. though.

I'm hoping to begin the application process soon, so that I can be getting some of my hours in and do school at the same time. That way I'll be able to take the exam sooner.

There is a LLL leader who just moved to my area who I think will be starting up a LLL branch here soon. Basically I'm just waiting on her to do that so I can attend the meetings and start the whole process.
#9 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 11:05 PM

I used to work for the health department at a huge clinic. It offered well and ill child care, OB/GYN services, WIC, and nutrition consultations. In a place like that, there are several areas where your services as a RD/LD and as an LC would be invaluable! These clinics usually cater to the uninsured and lower income people, and there is lots of education (about parenting/health issues as well as navigating the system) involved. We even used to have baby showers where we'd hand out clothing and diapers and things, as well as classes and whatnot. It might be worth checking out working in a place like this when you're done - I think you'd love it!
#10 of 10 Old 08-20-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Perl, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! I'll definitely look into that. Of course, it'll be awhile! I've still got a couple years worth getting my B.S., then about a year to do the internship.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page