quitting smoking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok this is day two. i dont have to work all the way till next saturday. work has been a major smoking influence. i would really like to make it till then without smoking. this has been exceedingly hard. i am literally going day by day with it right now. i started this thread so i can get support, and also as a way to make a more solid commitment to quitting. who knows if it will work though. it takes a huge amount of will power. i might not get through tomorrow without smoking, i have an exam. but will try, dang it!
#2 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 05:18 AM

Hang in there, mama!
#3 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

omg the ads catered themselves to my post. that is very creepy.
#4 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 01:28 PM

I am standing with you!
I wish you well in your quitting smoking!
I quit many years ago when I first became a Christian. Another sister in the church told me whenever I wanted a cigarette to call on the Lord - out loud (or under my breath if not in a place to do so aloud) just say "Oh Lord Jesus". I don't remember ever doing that, but I don't remember ever smoking after that.
I have a friend who smoked for over 25 years who just quit.
She did accupuncture.
It worked for her.
#5 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 01:30 PM

You can do it!!!! The first week is the toughest. I am rooting for you!!!!!!!

DC
#6 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 PM

You can do it! We can do it together even : Today is day 1 for me. DH and I got the lozenges to help, worked last time. We like them because it's not the constant dose of nicotine, but when you do get one of those really awful cravings it's something to *DO* about it. Helps me a ton. Plus the oral fixation thing, it's something to pay attention to in your mouth.

Anyway, congratulations on getting this far! The first 3 days usually are the toughest so maybe work on coming up with a solid plan for what you will do tomorrow, what with the exam and all.
#7 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

hey sarah! good! i am glad to have a buddy in this. so far, i am reading MDC and not going to campus to study... which keeps me away from cigs. but i need to get off MDC and study! i hate that i made all these smoking friends on campus cuz if i see them i just want to bum one. also, i think i will just not carry any money around unless i have an actual plan to spend it, so i dont bust down and buy a pack.

i have never tyried the lozenges. are they better than the gum? the gum makes my heart pound really hard i dont like it.

i just love going outside to smoke and stand there and think, or have a 5 min chat with the other smokers. that is one of the hardest parts of it to give up for me.
#8 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM

I am right there with you. Tomorrow will be Day 1 for me. And this time I MEAN IT. Can we keep this thread going to remind ourselves why we're not smoking? One of my biggest motivators is that I'm trying to keep myself in better health as a pre-TTC thing.
#9 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

yes. and this is a dumb reason: but when i smoke alot my skin breaks out and looks bad.

i get bags under my eyes.

i cough when i wake up in the morning. its gross.

i dont want ds smelling my smokey coat and thinking cig smoke = comforting hugs from mommy.
#10 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Oh yeah, I definitely prefer the lozenges. I can't even use the gum, it just hurts my teeth.

Excercise is awsome for quitting smoking. That's why and how I did it last time and what's happening now. I guess the trick is finding a sport or activity that is really important to you. I miss my martial arts training something terrible, but I need to seriously whip my butt into shape if I'm going to survive a class. Yeah, you go kick for an hour straight and tell me how you feel
So now I've started a walking program that is intended to eventually turn me into a runner. It helps a ton. Also, seeing that I can't run for 60 seconds straight without huffing and puffing is really, really, embarrassing to me. I'm supposed to be a freaking athlete! So anyway, now I'm kind of pissed at myself for letting myself get SO FAR out of shape and am making all sorts of grand plans for kenpo tournaments and big marathons, having physical goals is important to me.

I hear you on being friends with the smokers. I've always had hte easiest time quitting when I wasn't having ot be at a job. It's really hard to break those social patterns and habits. As for the 5 min. breaks, maybe a walk around the building? Some breathing excercises/meditation while you walk? 5 minutes of walking meditation can go a long, long way.
#11 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 04:52 PM

I guess you can ell from the last post I am an expert quitter! : I know all sorts of mental tricks and stuff to get through it. Just don't ask me how to make it last for longer than 6 months.
#12 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

you know whats sick? i quit for 5 YEARS. picked it right back up last summer. i didnt drink for many years and i started drinking last summer too, and i think the first time i got a little tipsy i wanted to smoke. it started out very social, like one or 2 a weekend, but quickly went to my old addiction. i will say, that in 5 years as a non smoker, the smell of cigs made me SICK but every time i got too stressed out i wanted one.

anyway i am making it through day three, but i feel really depressive and weepy. i want to eat instead. in fact these last few months i was letting myself have treats when i wanted to smoke ( as a reward for not smoking and to replace the smoke) but i am gaining weight! so now i have TWO addictions. sugar and cigarrettes, that are interlocked. ugh. i seem to think i need a stimulant in order to not be depressive. i dont know i should probably take walks like you say.
#13 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Have you tried Zyban? (Wellbutrin).

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#14 of 69 Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

you'll have to say more about it... i dont know what zyban or wellutrin are. i dont watch tv so i really dont have much exposure to what the lastest drugs are.

its 6:30. i am going nuts. cant concentrate or remember what homework i need to do. all i want to do is surf the web. but i dont have smokes here, and its too cold to leave the house again, so i am at least pretty certain i am not smoking for th rest of the evening.
#15 of 69 Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 AM

Zyban/Wellbutrin is aka Bupropion HCl. It's usually called Zyban when they prescribe it for smoking cessation, and Wellbutrin when they prescribe it as an antidepressant. I was on it as an antidepressant earlier in the summer, although with the combination of meds I was already taking, it wasn't working for me. I did not notice it making my desire to smoke any less, but of course YMMV.

Today is kind of Day 1 for me. The last cigarette I had was last night after I got some color work done on my tattoo - so I haven't smoked since about 9pm. Right now I am fieeeeending, and it would be so easy to walk across the street and buy a pack of cigarettes. But I'm not gonna do it, right?
#16 of 69 Old 11-21-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

no. you are not. i am freaking also. its day 4. i am very emotional and irritable. i feel like i am PMSing. it was really hard getting ds ready for school without losing my mind. and i dont even smoke in the morning, ever.

i am hiding out in a computer lab at school so i dont linger outside any of the campus buildings to bum a smoke. yes a part of my brain just said " or maybe i WILL go bum a smoke"

its total madness. like a little devil on your shoulder, literally.
#17 of 69 Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

the devil won today. i ran into a smoking friend and saw his pack of cigarettes and it was all over in a flash of a match.

ok.

back to the beginning.

:

tomorrow: day one.
#18 of 69 Old 11-22-2006, 02:07 AM

They prescribe Wellbutrin for OCD as well, also unlike many anti-depressants most people lose weight on wellbutrin as it helps with well..compulsive behaviors.

I was taking Wellbutrin for anxiety and I stopped biting my nails.

I don't know if I would recommend taking a crazy brain med just for smoking cessation though..crazy brain meds can do weird stuff.

I wish you luck in quitting.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#19 of 69 Old 11-22-2006, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirringleaf View Post
the devil won today. i ran into a smoking friend and saw his pack of cigarettes and it was all over in a flash of a match.

ok.

back to the beginning.

:

tomorrow: day one.
This is what helped me quite. I hated the idea of going back to square one. I'd make it two days and then light up. So that's two days down the drain. The next time I'd make it to five. Well if I lit up then I've wasted 5 more days. So now as the days go on it'd be that much more down the drain if I smoked. This Dec. it'll be two years. I'm not flushing two years away! I also quite when I had a vacation, knowing that I wouldn't want to be huffing and puffing during hikes and adventures helped me stay away from the cigs. I also stay away from beer. No beer tastes good without a cig! But long islands are a-okay! My MIL also makes me want to smoke so I TRY to avoid her too! I also loved going outside in the middle of the night for a cig....especially in the winter during snow falls. So now I make a point to do it but with a nice cup of tea. I keep a wide varitey of teas on hand too! My lastest fave is vanilla cinnamon, smells like root beer! YUM!

Good luck to all you quitters! You can do it!

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
#20 of 69 Old 11-22-2006, 10:06 AM

Don't beat yourself up, just quit again.

For me, what did the trick after 12+ years as a heavy smoker was zyban. I took it for 5 days, quit effortlessly and only took it for another week. All the nicotine replacement products never worked for me, I just got addicted to them instead of the cigarettes. It's been almost three years now and I still can't believe I actually managed to stop, I was SURE I was going to be smkoking for my entire life.

Good luck to all of you embarking on this journey to health!
#21 of 69 Old 11-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Oh , another thing that kind of goes with my signature (thoughts become things) is that I created this really strong image in my mind of how surprised I would like my daughter to be when she one day stumbles upon a photo of me with a cig in my hand and how she just wouldn't be able to believe that her mom had one day been a smoker. The desire to actually seeing this scene played out in real life was a huge motivator in quitting and staying quit.
#22 of 69 Old 11-22-2006, 04:14 PM

Well, here is my thing from quitmeter.com:
1 day, 17 hours, 11 minutes, 31 seconds since quitting. 34 cigarettes not smoked. $8.07 saved.

I think looking at the amount of money saved is going to help, 'cause I need to be stockpiling a bit for my big move to MI and for my wedding. I plan each payday (I think) to take the amount calculated by quitmeter and put it into a savings account.

I have to admit that my mood has been miserable. I've been crying almost nonstop and have been snappish and irritable with everyone. I hope this gets better soon. Last night I was so, so close to just buying a pack, but I didn't. I've been knitting like a fiend, instead.

GOOD LUCK TO US, ladies. WE CAN DO THIS!

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful that I have the strength to quit smoking. (Among other things....)
#23 of 69 Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 PM

How's it going mamas?

DC
#24 of 69 Old 11-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Argh. I want to join you mamas. Smoking is my secret vice My DH does not know that I started smoking again (after being quit for...like 3 years I think?) when we started having severe marital problems. I'm flying back out to MI in 8 days to stay with him for 2 months, then he's moving back to CA with me. I want to be quit and at least using gum by the time I get there (it'll be a lot easier for me to be firmly done with it once I'm out there, and we're together all the time in a non-smoking household).

My mom bought me two packs of cigarettes, and now they're taunting me. I don't want to throw away her hard earned money. Should I just finish them and be firm about my decision once they're gone and make sure she knows not to buy me any more? (I sort of work for her keeping the dogs from destroying the house, I'm not underaged or anything, lol).
#25 of 69 Old 11-30-2006, 05:36 PM

aCK. So I slipped. Then quit again a few days later. Hubby quit the same day : I slipped again. Gaah, trying to quit at te same time as putting up with his grumpy butt? Not working. But he's mostly past the worst of it I think so I guess tomorrow will be my first day. Again.
#26 of 69 Old 11-30-2006, 06:10 PM

Good luck Mamas! You can do it!

I quit 2 years ago, this is my longest stretch so I know its possible, I also survived Thanksgivibg without picking it up again. ( I was so stressed about the holiday that I was dreaming of smoking)

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#27 of 69 Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 PM

Keep trying. You can succeed! Thinking about all of you. I know it is really hard (ex-smoker here).

DC
#28 of 69 Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 AM

I read in the Global Ideas bank of 2 people who quit smoking, something like this.

2 people who honestly wish to quit smoking bet a reasonable sum of money
say $1000 that they will not smoke another cigarette ever.

The bet should be strictly enforced. Perhaps by a third party or perhaps the 2 people live together. Smelling the breath is one simple test.

No one cigarette is worth $1000.
#29 of 69 Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 PM

So I'm on day 2. Again. Sliiped. NOT GOING TO LET IT STOP ME! :

I don't get it. Last time I lasted 10 hours and hte first one tasted so gross. Now it's been 36 hours and it was like coming home :

I also joined a boxing gym, so I can take classes in boxing and mma(mixed martial arts-like ufc style, if you or someone you know watches those fights). It's about damn time for me to get back into training(I love learning to fight ) I've started just really slow, each time I go I'm increasing the time/intensity of my cardio machine workouts to find my current limit. The classes are really intense so I haven't been brave enough to try it yet, but I htink I have to. Just suffer and struggle through. I'll probably either pass out or throw up the first time or two but that kind of humiliation is probably what I need anyway. Because I KNOW I can handle that kind of excercise and I MISS it so much Drives me crazy to think I can't do it.

I need a good kick in the ass to just go, buy the gloves I need, and do it.

For me the best way to quit is mind games with myself. Doesn't matter that I just had one a few minutes ago. I have decided to stop and that means I am ALREADY a non-smoker. Right now. I'm not 'quitting', because then I think abiout it too much and notice how hard it is and all that. Right here and right now I am a non-smoker.

Hope the rest of you are doing well.
#30 of 69 Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 PM

So, I origionally quit four years ago when I joined my church, but have had a few relapses since then. This last one lasted for several months

According to quitmeter.com:
2 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes, 25 seconds, 55 not smoked, $12.38 saved...

When does it get easier?!

~Valarie~

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page