stress!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2006, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping that this thread can become a list of our best means of coping with stress. I am going to engage in the only good-for-me one I have: exercise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 02:09 AM

Hi Pie Pie!

I second exercise. It makes such a difference for me. Eating well is another way I cope with my stress (sugar makes me irritable and : ). I also do yoga once a week, which really helps. Another way I should cope is to unplug (not look at work or the computer) for a while. I haven't been very successful at this lately. I've also gotten back into making art. I used to do this all of the time, but kind of stopped during grad school. When it's nice, DH and I take a walk after dinner, this is a nice time for us to connect and be outside. We also eat dinner on our patio when it's nice, which is really relaxing.

Have any of you read "In Praise of Slowness"? It's an excellent resource and it really helped me realize that sometimes when I think I'm really busy, the best thing I can do is slow down.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:30 AM

My thing is baths. It doesn't matter what my problem is, cold, tired, hungry, sick, stressed, bored.. I take a bath!

I also give myself fun little games or challenges. Like, I'll take a dollar to the dollar store and have to find some item to wrap up and give to another person. Giving presents always makes me happy.

If I'm really stressed, I eat. Not overeat... I'll indulge myself in something I never get (too expensive, not neccessary, etc)... be it a nice hunk of cheese, or a cup of great tea in a funky cafe... something silly to brighten my mood.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 PM

Some of my "healthy" ones: going for a walk, taking a super-hot bath, a glass of red wine, getting busy with DH

My worstest most horrible, unhealthy, EXPENSIVE, terrible stress reliever........

Cigarettes. :
Old 12-02-2006, 11:01 PM

I'm not very good at dealing with stress-but one thing does help a little-I get up at 5 every day and brew a cup of strong coffee and sit by myself for at least half an hour-I journal, read, pray, etc...then I might clean or do something like that.
Despite teh fact that dd doesn't sleep through the night and I'm usually pretty tired, I get up and it does make a HUGE difference for my day.

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
Old 12-03-2006, 12:07 PM

Yoga, hot baths, quiet time is a must. Sometimes, I just put on an awesome CD in the car, take the back roads home and chill. It helps with destressing from the crazy work related things. Also, just being outside works wonders. If things get really crazy, I take a walk on my property, sit by the river and meditate. Taking time to breath.. really breath..
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

Old 12-03-2006, 10:54 PM

this is inspiring me!
I have tried to get up early, and the few times I have it has made a difference, but I just can't seem to do it regularly. I'm setting my alarm tonight!
Alone time helps, time with friends also can recharge me in a different way.
Also, a plan for the day helps me, ie routines. I feel much better when I know how the day will unfold.

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 12-03-2006, 11:54 PM

I think the hard thing is making yourself do it when you're stressed-sometimes I tend to wallow in my overwhelmed state rather than try to change it with tea, a walk, a bath, etc...
going to take a bath NOW!!

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM

purposeful laughing.....

this may sound silly, but try it. when you look in the mirror & your face is all scowly, force yourself to SMILE! or LAUGH OUT LOUD. sometimes i engage my kiddos in a laugh fest for a few minutes, too. it really works at lightening the mood & only takes a few minutes.

deep abdominal breathing.....

there are so many studies that show we don't know how to breathe. it's important for all aspects of our health & a few good, deep, abdominal breaths can change my attitude. i try to deep breathe when i'm not in the moment of an acute stressor, too. whenever i'm at a lull....stoplight, grocery line, on hold over the phone....i take some deep breaths.

focus on the positive....

i tend to be a realist/pessimist. i don't like this about myself! (well...the realism is not always bad but if it translates into "doomsday" i get so irritated). i force myself to stop & be thankful about something which usually leads to a whole list of things that are going great in my day as opposed to the one thing that's driving me batty.

pray....

talking and, more importantly, listening to God gives me peace. whenever i pray i am reminded of the Bible verse "Be still and know that I am God." i love that & should really have this mounted on a piece of old barnwood in my house somewhere!

stephanie asl.gif

User Tag List