Do you ever feel conflicted between two lifestyles - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2003, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Yes! Sorry, I didn’t have time to read all the other posts but I wanted to say that I know just how you feel. I have felt like I’m in the middle of two, 3, 4, 5…groups, lifestyles and etc. for my whole life.

Before I go on I wanted to be sure to mention that in my good moments about this I can rationalize this “on the fence” position to being a person who is well balanced - - living a life of moderation (moderate about both sides). Kwim?*

On the other hand, sometimes I really deliberate over doing the right thing and I do get down on myself for being extravagant, which I am – more often than not, lately. I’m not Martha extravagant but I travel lots and I can be a brat when I have to give something up with friends, family, concert, party and etc.

I was in Paris this weekend and I told a father (who was in aw over me still carrying my 2 year old in the sling while waiting on line to visit the Catacombs—quickly during nap time) that I’ve been waiting and waiting to be content just being at home with my kid but it hasn’t happened for me yet.

On one more positive note, there have been some things about being moderate that have helped me to be the mother that I want to be.
For instance, I never would have left my daughter overnight at 19 months if I hadn’t known friends who had been doing it since 3 months. I was freaked out because most of the mothers that I admired hadn't left their kids before 5 years. Anyway, I had a tradition with my father that I didn't want to break. I had taken my daughter the year before but didn't want to do it again this year so I left her with my mother. It was wonderful for me and wonderful for my mother and daughter. There have been several other things like this that have helped me as a parent.

I'm not a huge sleep comfort person (I can sleep on the floor) but I can understand wanting nice sheets.
Being the excessive person that I am, I could probably help you rationalize saving up for a splurge! After all, you do spend 30% of your life in bed...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List