College or Bust - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I'm not if this is the right place for it - feel free to move if its not)

I am feeling pretty stuck in my “career”. I’m going on almost 9 years as an admin. I don’t have a BA degree, but I went to vocational school (waste of time and money) and though its gotten me pretty decent jobs and make a pretty decent living (for the Bay Area), I cannot advance or get promoted w/o a 4 years degree.

The problem is:

--I NEVER did well in school. Even in grade school I struggled. I struggled all the way though college. I had a very low GPA getting out. I was exhausted after a year and a half of post high school education (full-time). I also worked 30 hours a week but I know many people who went to school and worked full-time so that doesn’t fly.

--I need to work full-time, so part-time school; part-time work is definitely out of the question. I cannot think of a time in my life where I would ever be able to scale down to part time and survive.

--I could it one class at a time at a state school, but my major would have to be business or finance (or it wouldn’t be worth it to go to school). The problem is, I am bored to death with business and finance. I hate law (worked in it before) I wouldn’t do well, not only because I am not very scholastic, but I’m not interested in those subjects. The subjects I am interested in (design, home interior, and other creative fields) – the markets are saturated. EVERYONE wants a career in the creative and art field. It would be a waste of time and money.

Has you ever gone to school to study a subject you had absolutely no interest in? How far did you go? How did you keep going to complete your degree?

I’m at a loss for what to do at this point. I guess my next step would be to see a college advisor, but would like some feedback first.
#2 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM

you are right that it is difficult to follow through on something you hate. for me, it would be impossible. i say, study design or fashion or whatever -- there are lots of opportunities in computer-aided design if you are willing to direct it into advertising.
#3 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 02:42 AM

Do what makes you happy. I tried to go back to school TWICE for subjects that didn't really interest me (accounting and computer science- blech) and it barely lasted. I am finally about to take the plunge again (boss advised it, because I am close to stalling out in my career), but hopefully this time the study will be more suited to my current work. Ideally, I would like to get a degree in something I find fascinating (history, nutrition, etc), but this at least fits in with my current job and what I find somewhat interesting at work.

In a lot of cases, the subject you get your degree in is less important than getting the degree itself (unless it's something specialized like law or medicine). In my case, the company won't pay for a dream degree, so that's why I am kind-of limited.
#4 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 02:55 PM

My dh is graduating with his MBA on Saturday. He had not much interest in the coursework at all, but he's at a point in his career where if he didn't get the MBA he's sort of stuck in middle management, which he ALSO doesn't love! It took him 3 years to do it, and he just kept plugging away at it. It helped him a bit that my degree is in economics, so I was able to discuss things with him and help him out a little bit (though nothing unethical) but mostly it was just...plugging away...'eyes on the prize'...you know, just DOING IT.

If you need to get at least a Bachelor's degree to get any further in your career, just go see a guidance counselor, map out what it will take for you to graduate, register for classes and make it happen! Check out online options, and since this is your undergraduate degree you could ask your guidance counselor about what CLEP tests the school accepts...this is a way to 'test out' of a subject. I know the uni I worked at would accept up to 30 hours of CLEP credit. That is 10 courses worth of credit for about $500 instead of $3000 or so in tuition, plus the cost of books, plus a year of your life!

Good luck...you CAN do it...there are THOUSANDS of people with undergrad degrees out there...do you think they all LOVED going to school?
#5 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 04:08 PM

Why not study something you have been secretely interested in? Make a career out of it eventually.

I have a degree in English. Worked as a tech writer for awhile, then did the SAHM thing. I am now a SAHM aspiring nurse. It's years down the road, but I'm doing the evening/on-line classes and so far I love it.

If you have to take something you are not interested in, try to find ways to make it interesting. Maybe you can form a study group, make friends in the class, etc.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. For now, I think sticking to something I like would be the best choice even if I'm unsure of my exact career path.

I've always been interested in starting my own small business, so that may be the way to go during and after school anyway.
#7 of 9 Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM

You know what? It really doesn't matter what your 4-year degree is in, as long as you have one to put on your resume. Seriously. Just study what you are interested in. I can't tell you how many English Lit majors have ended up doing Sales, or Business majors have ended up doing something totally unrelated.

If you were going for a graduate degree, then you would need to be more choosy. Just get the darn degree.
#8 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 06:26 PM

I know its hard... but what doesnt kill you makes you stronger! I don't think a lot of get degrees in areas taht we absolutley "love" but we manange.. and anyways the ave person changes careers about 5 times in their life (thats from architechture to counseling to gold,etc)

If your planning on startign a buisness, I'd jsut take soem "workshop" classes to get you started, unless it si in something more specific like you need to know buisness law, accounting, finance, etc. can you take 1 class per semester?? sure it would take you a long time to finish, but at least you would ahve started right? if you did not go that rout...you might NEVER get higher up the ladder so, at lest you know taht with time, you are plugging along and your dreams will come true!

anotehr thing... have you been tested for a learning disability ??? I have alwasy been really bad in school- especialy in math since i was in 3rd grade.. i failed, dropped out of high school. I college after having taken pre algebra 4 times and flunked every time a teacher pulled me aside and told me to get tested- I am dyslexic in math. I had to learn to create cheat sheets and short cuts to keep me on track (I also ahve ADD). gettign tested was the best thing i ever did.. it relived a lot of the preasure i had about not being smart enough!

good luck!!
#9 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi calimommy (and everyone else) I am thinking about taking a class or two a semester (starting summer since its a little late for spring) and see where it takes me.

I was never tested for a learning disability but I do have ADD (tested two years ago). Lifestyle: diet, exercise - has made it better, but I still struggle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page