Daily Yoga Practice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2003, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

Anyone out there practice yoga on a daily basis?

I need some tips, ideas, good examples, anything you have to offer.

I've been taking classes on and off for years, and have been taking a weekly class for the last 2 years. But I never seem to get into a good daily groove. I've been doing the same 5 postures (shoulder stand, downward dog, knee down twist, bow, and seated forward bends) every day for two weeks now and I am loving it. I warm up with some breathing exercises and with seated sun salutations. But I haven't worked in any relaxation or meditation. I just can't commit to more than 30 min. a day.

I feel great. My body actually craves shoulder stand like it used to crave coffee. I hope I can keep this up.

So- what do you do? And how do you keep doing it every day?

Thanks,
Jeanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 01:40 PM

Hi Elismama,

I usually practice yoga 6 days a week. However, I only meditate 2-3 times a week. I guide the relaxtion when I teach a class once a week, I get to enjoy a relaxation during the class I take, and I usually try to go to the yoga studio once a week to practice yoga on my own, so I can truly relax. If I have to sub for the studio owner, it's a bonus for me.

I have developed some rouitines which I alternate for at home practice. I usually spend 10 minutes stretching and becoming aware of my breathing. I do about 20-30 minutes of "active" yoga and then 10 minutes of cool down/stretching. If time allows, I then spend 10-15 minutes lying in corpse pose focusing on my breathing.

I usually practice yoga after my boys go to bed when I do yoga at home. I have a notebook where I have written out some routines for those times when I don't want to think about what pose I will do next. I'd start with 2 or 3 routines that you can do on a daily basis until they become second nature. Check out your library or a bookstore for some yoga books/cards to give you an idea of the different postures that you can use.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of having several routines worked out on paper. And it makes sense to work in relaxation/meditation a couple times a week- definitely makes it more manageable.

How lucky you are to have a studio you can use- it's hard for me to let go of all of the things I need to do when I'm home (I work from home too- which causes some guilt/anxiety if I stop working and I still have lots to do). But lighting a candle, putting on soft music, etc helps.

I checked out the DK Yoga for Women book- it's great. Can you reccomend any others?

thanks again,
jeanie
Old 05-14-2003, 07:24 PM

I've had a daily yoga practice for a little over ten years. Since having kids, meditation is sporadic, at best. I do the postures while the kids eat breakfast in their booster seats. It's the best I can do. I used to practice an hour every morning. I usd to have a strong practice with lots of deep postures- now it is more gentle. I practice in the evening befor dinner for twenty minutes after dh comes home from work. That is only a few times a week at most- I usually go for a walk with them. The morning is when I have always enjoyed practicing the most.

I also taught for about 5 years. Now I enjoy my personal practice. I haven't gone to a class in a few years. That has allowed me to grow more, I think.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 05-26-2003, 01:12 PM

While on vacation I was able to practice every morning. I woke up about an hour befoe everyone else and went out on the balcony. It was awsome and I felt great. Since I've been home I haven't done it at all. We got home yesterday at 5 A.M. so I think I'm ok to skip. I need to practice today to get back into the routine. I did the sun salutation, some triangle poses, some proud warrior and goddess warrior poses and then some standing balancing poses before I went to the floor. I need to develope my floor postures more. I like the idea of writing them down so I can get some flow out of it.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:35 PM

Hi jeanie--

I stick to a daily practice and have done so for the past 11 years--I think what keeps me going is that I've really connected to yoga's health benefits on an energetic level, more so even than on a physical level. I use it for healing more than anything--if I feel one of my organs or body's systems is out of balance, I will turn to yoga (plus Reiki) before I do any thing else. Once I made that strong association between feeling at my optimum and doing yoga it became effortless to do it on a daily basis.

One thing I used to tell my students when I taught was to leave all feelings of guilt, self-judgment and "shoulds" at the door. Yoga is about being in the flow, and perhaps sometimes the flow isn't there for a daily practice. I finally got my husband doing it (a big accomplishment, for he was a typical rigid gym rat :LOL)--but he is different than I am and prefers a few days a week, for less time than I do it, and that's ok.

Sivananda has great yoga books. Good luck shaping the yoga practice that's right for you!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:23 PM

For those of you who practice yoga daily, do you also exercize with weights or aerobically? I went to a yoga retreat in March and loved it (had never done yoga before), but haven't practiced consistently since I've been home. Do you feel that yoga alone provides all the health benefits you need?
Old 06-15-2003, 12:23 AM

Sure, yoga covers all of those bases, Katherine. Some styles are more strenuous than others-for example, Astanga yoga (what "power yoga" is based on) is very rigorous and gives a great cardio & strength-training workout. When I was doing it I didn't do any weight-training and was in great shape. Nothing more attractive than yoga muscles, in my book.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:34 AM

I would love to have the time and will to do a daily practice but while I am off during the summer (I am a teacher) I usually get in 3 - 4 sessions of about 60-90 minutes in length per week while my 22 month old dd takes a nap.

I also do strength training 3x per week after dd goes to bed and walk 45 - 60 minutes daily (4-5 miles) with her in the stroller.

I have several tapes and yoga cds that I rotate through:

Shiva Rea Yoga Sanctuary CD

Total Yoga (Living Arts)

Yoga with Richard Freeman- Ashtanga Primary Series(Delphi Productions)

Yoga Alignment and Form with John Friend - Iyengar Yoga (Delphi Productions)

SonicYoga Vinyasa Heat Live - Intermediate - featuring Jonathan Fields (www.sonicyoga.com)

And a couple other cds that I can't seem to locate to get the info for you....must be in my 18 year old dd's room.

My favs are the Shiva Rea cd, total yoga tape and sonicyoga tape.

I took classes (3x per week) for years before dd was born but have not gotten back into the classes yet. Probably will take 1x per week after dh is finished with his busy time at work. Probably won't be able to do several classes a week again until dd is much older. That's why I really like the tapes and cds.

User Tag List